2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2230765 02/13/14 02:15 AM
P
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Here is a quote I found about Chopin, some people may find it interesting:

"One day, Charles Halle confronted Chopin with the observation that he had actually played his Mazurka in 4/4 time rather than 3/4 time. At first he denied it; but, when Halle then counted as Chopin played, he admitted it -- laughingly commenting that it was a nationalistic trait."

Poetry is rhythm
A
A
I read a similar anecdote except it was Rossini and Chopin was not conceding

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by antony
I read a similar anecdote except it was Rossini and Chopin was not conceding

I read that one, too (as well as the Halle story). Except that, IIRC, it was an overbearing Meyerbeer, instead of Rossini.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
... How?

A
A
Yes, Meyerbeer not Rossini. Apparently he was stomping his cane and it was one of the few times Chopin actually showed anger

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
We had a couple of 'fine-toothed combs' discussions of this a few years ago on the "Devoted to Chopin" thread in ABF. Dr. Kallberg was in on it, and wrote out a possible guess of what that might be about. I'm skeptical about the 4/4 thing, and I suspect that this is one of those things that has gotten passed down a bit too unquestioningly over the generations despite nobody really being able to make good sense of it. (I don't think it has ever been written up any closer than second- or third-hand.)

For anyone who's interested, here is a link to the more recent of those discussions.

Here's a 'for-instance' of how such a story might be incorrectly passed down. I don't mean that this is how I think it was -- just a sample of how something like it could very well happen, and if you really want to know grin ....indeed I'd guess it was something like this.

Somebody (like maybe really Meyerbeer) says it sounds like 4/4 time. Chopin says baloney, you're misunderstanding it. Later, somebody else (maybe Halle, maybe Lenz who also often gets into the story, maybe both at different times) commented to Chopin how he was bending the rhythm -- maybe mentioning the 4/4 thing but mainly talking more generally about bending the rhythm in a way that it doesn't sound exactly like 3/4 -- and Chopin says, "It is a nationalistic trait." Which indeed it is.

By the way, when I listen to Horowitz's performances of the C# minor Mazurka, Op. 30 #4 (which is a different one -- I'm just using it as another example), that's exactly the reaction that I have. It doesn't sound to me like any meter that can be notated. In a moment of grasping desperation I might well say "it sounds 4/4" -- but it doesn't really, and it isn't really. It's just a very flexible rendering of the 3/4, which is so elusive that if you slow it down and try to count it, actually it does sound more 3/4 than anything else (to me), but "in real life," which was the only way anybody ever heard Chopin, it's elusive.

Last edited by Mark_C; 02/13/14 05:57 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Hector Berlioz is also said to have quarelled about rhythm in a mazurka played to him by Chopin.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission