2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
55 members (chopinetto, David B, anotherscott, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, c++, Burkey, BrokenFingers, 12 invisible), 406 guests, and 434 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20
Re: Are professional pianists highly intelligent?
pianoloverus #2230437 02/12/14 03:00 PM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 468
T
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
T
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 468
who cares if pianists are intelligent as long as they can play some fine music. There are quite a few pro musicians who I wouldn't trust to run a Starbucks!

Re: Are professional pianists highly intelligent?
Atrys #2230448 02/12/14 03:15 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 10,279
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 10,279
Originally Posted by Atrys
@Horowitzian
I'm not shifting anything. The evidence is there. Just look at it smile Also, I've already said that even if I did not provide any evidence at all, the original claim has no merit because it is not supported by anything. I'm willing to sacrifice my evidence for the sake of argument, but even then, the original claim is still not supported.

So, in essence, this is a thread about nothing. cool


Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: Are professional pianists highly intelligent?
Carey #2230452 02/12/14 03:17 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,328
P
9000 Post Club Member
Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,328
Originally Posted by carey
Originally Posted by Atrys
@Horowitzian
I'm not shifting anything. The evidence is there. Just look at it smile Also, I've already said that even if I did not provide any evidence at all, the original claim has no merit because it is not supported by anything. I'm willing to sacrifice my evidence for the sake of argument, but even then, the original claim is still not supported.

So, in essence, this is a thread about nothing. cool

I think you might have hit on it.


Regards,

Polyphonist
Re: Are professional pianists highly intelligent?
pianoloverus #2230454 02/12/14 03:22 PM
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 6,177
6000 Post Club Member
Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 6,177
This is probably the worst thread in a long line of recent bad threads.

Re: Are professional pianists highly intelligent?
pianoloverus #2230456 02/12/14 03:24 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,328
P
9000 Post Club Member
Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,328
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
WHAT AN AWESOME THREAD!!!!!


Regards,

Polyphonist
Re: Are professional pianists highly intelligent?
Carey #2230459 02/12/14 03:29 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 990
A
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 990
Originally Posted by carey

So, in essence, this is a thread about nothing. cool

Agreed!


"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
Re: Are professional pianists highly intelligent?
pianoloverus #2230464 02/12/14 03:39 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,328
P
9000 Post Club Member
Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,328
Your attitude on this thread is a microcosm of your attitude to the site as a whole.


Regards,

Polyphonist
Re: Are professional pianists highly intelligent?
Polyphonist #2230509 02/12/14 04:58 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 990
A
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 990
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Your attitude on this thread is a microcosm of your attitude to the site as a whole.

QQ more. It's hilarious thumb


"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
Re: Are professional pianists highly intelligent?
Polyphonist #2230517 02/12/14 05:08 PM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 630
S
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 630
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
WHAT AN AWESOME THREAD!!!!!


I saw this comment made on the Valentina Lisitsa thread and I disagreed with it there. It goes without saying that I disagree with it here so I won't say it.

Re: Are professional pianists highly intelligent?
The Wind #2230523 02/12/14 05:14 PM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 630
S
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 630
Originally Posted by The Wind
who cares if pianists are intelligent as long as they can play some fine music. There are quite a few pro musicians who I wouldn't trust to run a Starbucks!


I think certain intellectual qualities should exist in the average professional pianist. For example, the ability to recognise a piano is handy, it saves time when the poor soul charged with playing it has eventually managed, with the help of several people who have brains, to reach the stage. This can shorten the unpleasant experience of an evening concert by several minutes.

Re: Are professional pianists highly intelligent?
Horowitzian #2230622 02/12/14 08:49 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,651
6000 Post Club Member
Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,651
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
Originally Posted by Pathbreaker
This is what I'm saying. Evidence is not going to be produced. I don't know why you keep asking for it.


Probably to bolster his inferiority complex since those darn physics and math students tend to have higher IQ scores than engineering students. laugh


It isn't because of the physics and math students. He's admitted he'd have nothing of value to add to a musical discussion, so this is his way of validating himself.
Quite frankly, I've had it with the "science" kids who come along every six months or so and think they can explain everything.



"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Re: Are professional pianists highly intelligent?
stores #2230632 02/12/14 09:00 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 990
A
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 990
Originally Posted by stores

Quite frankly, I've had it with the "science" kids who come along every six months or so and think they can explain everything.

"woe is me". Boo-hoo. No one is asking you to read my posts. Use the ignore feature and your life will be much better, seeing as how you're so frustrated with an online forum.


"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
Re: Are professional pianists highly intelligent?
pianoloverus #2230633 02/12/14 09:00 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,328
P
9000 Post Club Member
Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,328
More irony...


Regards,

Polyphonist
Re: Are professional pianists highly intelligent?
pianoloverus #2230635 02/12/14 09:01 PM
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 6,177
6000 Post Club Member
Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 6,177
Is vote-banning a thing?

Re: Are professional pianists highly intelligent?
pianoloverus #2230638 02/12/14 09:03 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 990
A
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 990
In case you don't know how to ignore people: click on my username, click "View profile", and there is an ignore button.


"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
Re: Are professional pianists highly intelligent?
pianoloverus #2230640 02/12/14 09:05 PM
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 6,177
6000 Post Club Member
Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 6,177
I'd rather vote-ban you.

Re: Are professional pianists highly intelligent?
pianoloverus #2230643 02/12/14 09:07 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 990
A
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 990
If you actually think about it, there must be a reason why you don't just ignore me.

You must be curious to see what I'm saying or something. Maybe you just want to see my posts so that you can snipe me? Either way, you're complaining about something that is easily solved...


"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
Re: Are professional pianists highly intelligent?
JoelW #2230645 02/12/14 09:08 PM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,453
8000 Post Club Member
Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,453
And I was just reading an article about how standard statistical hypothesis techniques may be less useful than we think they are...

http://www.nature.com/news/scientific-method-statistical-errors-1.14700


Originally Posted by JoelW
Is vote-banning a thing?


I don't know how comfortable I'd be with mob rule on a forum like this. laugh


Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Re: Are professional pianists highly intelligent?
Atrys #2230649 02/12/14 09:11 PM
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 6,177
6000 Post Club Member
Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 6,177
Originally Posted by Atrys
If you actually think about it, there must be a reason why you don't just ignore me.

You must be curious to see what I'm saying or something. Maybe you just want to see my posts so that you can snipe me? Either way, you're complaining about something that is easily solved...

Actually, it isn't a matter of that. I don't like you polluting this forum with your rude, obnoxious behavior. I've witnessed countless insulting remarks towards many who I consider to be good people, and have respect for.

Re: Are professional pianists highly intelligent?
pianoloverus #2230654 02/12/14 09:15 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 990
A
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 990
@JoelW
Oh puhhhleaase. Pompous, passive aggressive comments are constantly made all around this forums across countless threads by a select few members (Polyphonist included).

Get real. Protip: you can ignore certain users if you want, but since you don't want to ignore me, you must find some value in my posts, so thank you for that.


"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is Vermeer the most 'musical' of the great artists?
by bennevis - 11/24/20 07:23 PM
New DP under 3000 euros
by Pullman12 - 11/24/20 03:21 PM
Recording device - Recommendations
by Kinimod - 11/24/20 02:52 PM
Your opinions on my digital mixer setup
by Abdol - 11/24/20 02:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,024
Posts3,026,804
Members99,363
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4