2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MsMB Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, the piano project (aka my childhood piano) has officially entered phase II with a visit with the piano restorer, Jeff Cappelli of Piano Renaissance (www.pianoren.com). He is amazed at how well preserved this nearly 100 year old piano is (built in Chicago in 1915). The case is African mahogany but he found the inside to be more beautiful ...to his eyes. I'm not surprised about the rusted pins and wires, but Jeff found almost no rust on the cast iron frame. From what we could see the soundboard looks pristine. The action is sloppy but he thinks the leather bridles can be treated and adjusted. Jeff said it was remarkable the pitch was off only a 1/2 step for a piano not tuned in at least 5 decades. The worst thing wrong is the interior base board where the pedal levers attach is split in three places. So I've decided this is a worthwhile project and this Wednesday it's official restoration begins (which includes restoring the beautiful mahogany case) with a trip to Jeff's shop.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks for sharing. I hope that you are taking before, during and after photos to share with us.

I hope that it will soon sound and look beautiful for you.

How much is he planning on doing for the action?

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
MsMB Offline OP
OP Offline
My Schaaf was picked up today by the piano movers. We will go to the restorer's shop tomorrow for a full report on what needs to be done. I feel privileged to own this piano. My Mother bought it in 1960 from the original owner, a retired banker from Ballantine Montana, for $50. No one in our family played piano at the time but apparently she had an idea that I might be steered to it. She was right.

A
A
I also am a proud Adam Schaaf owner, to the extent that I have spent a year researching his corporation. I have compiled the following chapters to share with all interested parties: Adam Schaaf from 1866 to his death in 1902; The factory and wholesale business run by son Harry Schaaf; The warerooms and retail business run by Son Walter Schaaf; Harry Sipe, their 25-year traveler; A collection of their advertisements; and A record of their expansion throughout the United States. Contrary to much on-line information, the Adam Schaaf Company was still operating in 1934 when Mrs. Carolyn Schaaf, Adam's widow, died.

Most of my compiled information on "The House of Adam Schaaf" comes from mbsi.org: The Music Trade Review. You can "the joy of the hunt" yourself, or you can e-mail me to receive any of this information. dr.robertseeley@yahoo.com.

As an hobbyist-technician, I am well-directed in my endeavors by my RPT who has maintained my Adam Schaaf Model 21 Upright since 1986. I'd better check with him before I ask him to take a bow.

Bob

Bob
A
A
P.S.: Can anyone explain how I can add as my signature (directly to the left) Adam Schaaf's distinguished memorial portrait from Music Trade Review-1907?

Bob
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Not sure about adding images to a signature line, but I have a question: does any of your research go back further to a possible connection with the Ferdinand Schaaf family of piano makers in Germany?

JG
T
T
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but how did this restoration go? If you don't mind sharing, what needed to be done, and how much did it cost?

I just bought a Wurlitzer upright for my 10-year-old to play for the next 2-5 years, but after I remodel my house I may steal my parents' 1905 Adam Schaaf and have it restored. If there's any money left after the remodel laugh.

Thanks!

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission