2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
46 members (accordeur, anotherscott, chopinetto, Abdol, David B, 20/20 Vision, bwv872, Anna B., 12 invisible), 406 guests, and 442 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 19 20
Re: Are professional pianists highly intelligent?
BruceD #2229293 02/10/14 11:13 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by BruceD
If it annoys you that some people comment negatively on the reviving of old threads, how about just ignoring them?

You're usually much smarter than this. grin

Bruce, I said in my prior post why. The re-upping of old threads is almost always a result of a post by a new member, and the "negative commenting" is (whether so intended or not) a slam at them. Which isn't very welcoming, and perhaps discourages other would-be members from even trying. After all, we have many more readers than members, and I modestly offer that it's better to attract them than to repel them.

pianoloverus #2229295 02/10/14 11:15 PM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Every sentence fragment begs for completion. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
Polyphonist #2229309 02/10/14 11:54 PM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Every sentence fragment begs for completion. grin

I usually just say it, every sentence fragment begs for

Poetry is rhythm
phantomFive #2229310 02/10/14 11:55 PM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
but then I'm not a professional pianist, so maybe I'm not intelligent enough.

Poetry is rhythm
pianoloverus #2229316 02/11/14 12:00 AM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
That must be it. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
pianoloverus #2229355 02/11/14 01:43 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm not a professional, but last I checked my I.Q. several years ago I scored between 136-144 on multiple tests. Although, I'll be honest, I do act like an idiot sometimes...

Last edited by ChopinLives81; 02/11/14 01:43 AM.

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81
pianoloverus #2229375 02/11/14 03:26 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Many people hide their high IQ because of bullying or fear of being bullied (particularly among peers, but not only), so even if some professional pianists actually know their IQ they probably won't reveal it, maybe not because of fear of being bullied if they are asserted adults, but it is not something people usually reveal to strangers, let alone media... So even if they know their IQ we won't know.
Being a professional pianist is something that requires high intelligence, but not only that (like in maths for example). High sensitivity and musicianship are also important of course (but I guess this has already been said in this thread). AND if you want to be a professional pianist you also need a high EQ because of all the stress associated with performing publicly etc. So IQ,EQ and musicianship.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

pianoloverus #2229744 02/11/14 04:17 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Every professional classical musician is intelligent, not sure if highly/super intelligent, but definitely above average.

One can't just play bach, haydn or mendelssohn without understanding the complexities in their music and the differences between their compositional styles. I'm talking about the kids who have to take mandatory piano lessons in school, and practice just because their parents tell them to. Or the teenage girls who worship the "great" pop icons like Bieber and Gaga. *cringe*

pianoloverus #2229750 02/11/14 04:26 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
How can you all possibly continue to think that master (or professional) musicians are "intelligent". Look at the evidence I have posted.

If anything, they are not so far from average intelligence, and are actually less intelligent (insofar as a composite IQ) than their not-so-musically-skilled counterparts (not to mention their IQs are on the lower half of the median).

This is just confirmation bias. If you can present evidence that supports your ridiculous claims that master pianists are somehow magically enlightened with grand intelligence, only then do your claims have any merit. Until then, it's just poor speculation and confirmation bias.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
Atrys #2229751 02/11/14 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Atrys
Master pianists would probably perform pretty well in certain portions of the WAIS-IV, but don't expect anything from the final score. Being a master pianist does not imply any kind of significant gain in a composite IQ score.

Perhaps, but I've never known a master pianist who wasn't highly intelligent. smile

If you look here: http://www.statisticbrain.com/iq-estimates-by-intended-college-major/

You'll actually find that "Arts-Performance & Studio" majors are pretty low on the spectrum, with an average IQ of 114.

Interesting as the "stats" might be, they are IMHO completely meaningless. smile "Arts-Performance & Studio" majors are not "master pianists." And, for that matter, the "arts" as a category encompasses a vast variety of endeavors.....not just musical performance.

Being a master pianist does not mean you are necessarily highly intelligent. However, the elite in things such as math, the sciences, and engineering can be considered to be "highly intelligent" (insofar as a composite IQ score).

And isn't it interesting that many mathematicians, scientists and engineers are also highly skilled musicians. crazy

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Carey #2229756 02/11/14 04:32 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by carey

Perhaps, but I've never known a master pianist who wasn't highly intelligent.

Correlation is not causation.

Interesting as the "stats" might be, they are IMHO completely meaningless.

Stats are only meaningless to people who don't understand them.

"Arts-Performance & Studio" majors are not "master pianists."

Agreed, but the sample space has enough overlap. If you performed more statistical analysis and hypothesis testing (p and z) you'd get a more accurate answer, but it will be very similar to what has already been said.

And isn't it interesting that many mathematicians, scientists and engineers are also highly skilled musicians.

This is just nonsense. No evidence as usual. So far the only evidence presented shows that musicians do not have especially higher composite IQs. It might be hard to bite the bullet, but facts are facts.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
pianoloverus #2229758 02/11/14 04:34 PM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

Regards,

Polyphonist
Atrys #2229762 02/11/14 04:42 PM
How can you all possibly continue to think that master (or professional) musicians are "intelligent". Look at the evidence I have posted.

Evidence???? What evidence????

If anything, they are not so far from average intelligence, and are actually less intelligent (insofar as a composite IQ) than their not-so-musically-skilled counterparts (not to mention their IQs are on the lower half of the median).

The stats focus on college majors in all areas of the arts. NOT professional musicians - or master pianists.

This is just confirmation bias. If you can present evidence that supports your ridiculous claims that master pianists are somehow magically enlightened with grand intelligence, only then do your claims have any merit. Until then, it's just poor speculation and confirmation bias.

I dunno. It takes a certain amount of "intelligence" to learn, maintain and perform (by memory) a vast repertoire of complex musical works either as a soloist or soloist with orchestra in front of a paying audience. And, of course, many "master pianists" earn Doctorates - which require educational background and knowledge of a variety of subjects (including music theory, history and foreign languages) well beyond just playing an instrument.

Until then, it's just poor speculation and confirmation bias.

Sort of like the gross assumptions underlying the so-called "stats." grin

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Carey #2229774 02/11/14 04:56 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

The stats focus on college majors in all areas of the arts. NOT professional musicians - or master pianists.

I don't think you have a well enough understanding of statistics to understand the extrapolation that can be made from the data.

I dunno. It takes a certain amount of "intelligence" to learn, maintain and perform (by memory) a vast repertoire of complex musical works either as a soloist or soloist with orchestra in front of a paying audience.

You're just saying things...there is still no evidence or data being presented. Imagine if scientists and engineers operated like you: "Well, we think this solid rocket booster is enough for lift off. We haven't done the math or checked the data, but I have a hunch!"

Sort of like the gross assumptions underlying the so-called "stats."

Again, stats are only meaningless to people who don't understand them. Anyone here that has taken upper division statistics courses should understand that there is much more to statistics than you think there is.

R. W. Emerson
pianoloverus #2229776 02/11/14 04:59 PM
Well - since we're focused on the "stats" - according to the research there seems to be a clear correlation between the SAT Quantitative Score and IQ - whereas, the SAT Verbal Scores tend to be rather "average" across the board among all college majors. What does that tell us about "intelligence?" grin

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Atrys #2229780 02/11/14 05:04 PM
Again, stats are only meaningless to people who don't understand them. Anyone here that has taken upper division statistics courses should understand that there is much more to statistics than you think there is.

I'll give you that. BUT I fear there is much more to the ARTS (and advanced musical performance) than you apparently seem to think there is. grin

P.S. Are you having as much fun with this discussion as I am??

Last edited by carey; 02/11/14 05:05 PM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Carey #2229781 02/11/14 05:06 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

there seems to be a clear correlation between the SAT Quantitative Score and IQ - whereas, the SAT Verbal Scores tend to be rather "average" across the board among all college majors. What does that tell us about "intelligence?"

I think all we can draw from that observation is that composite IQ scores are not necessarily associated with Verbal SAT scores.

How about that Verbal SAT score spike for Philosophy majors! That might explain why students (myself included) always seem to be captivated and focused during philosophy lectures :P The philosophy professors are very articulate people.

Last edited by Atrys; 02/11/14 05:07 PM.

R. W. Emerson
Carey #2229794 02/11/14 05:26 PM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

I'll give you that. BUT I fear there is much more to the ARTS (and advanced musical performance) than you apparently seem to think there is. grin

Yes...Atrys is an engineer, not a lowly musician. (Which again begs the question - what is he doing over here trying to explain music to us...)

Regards,

Polyphonist
Polyphonist #2229797 02/11/14 05:34 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

Yes...Atrys is an engineer, not a lowly musician. (Which again begs the question - what is he doing over here trying to explain music to us...)

Yeah. We get it. You don't like me. Your sniping is pretty childish though.

Also, not once have I tried to explain musical ideas to anyone here. I wouldn't even dare to. You know why? Because I have little knowledge about things like that, and I can provide little to no value in a discussion about melodic lines, etc. Your constant sniping gets old quick, especially since it's always about something trivial or nonexistent.

R. W. Emerson
Atrys #2229801 02/11/14 05:38 PM
There seems to be a clear correlation between the SAT Quantitative Score and IQ - whereas, the SAT Verbal Scores tend to be rather "average" across the board among all college majors. What does that tell us about "intelligence?"
I think all we can draw from that observation is that composite IQ scores are not necessarily associated with Verbal SAT scores.

So - in essence, reading comprehension and writing skills have little bearing on one's overall IQ ?? Quite frankly, I find that difficult to believe. Perhaps the composite IQ scores cited in the study are only measuring a certain kind of "intelligence." ha

How about that Verbal SAT score spike for Philosophy majors! That might explain why students (myself included) always seem to be captivated and focused during philosophy lectures :P The philosophy professors are very articulate people.

Interesting to note that the verbal scores for "Arts - History, Theory, Critical Theory" and "Other Humanities & Arts" are fairly respectable as well. smile

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Page 5 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 19 20

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is Vermeer the most 'musical' of the great artists?
by bennevis - 11/24/20 07:23 PM
New DP under 3000 euros
by Pullman12 - 11/24/20 03:21 PM
Recording device - Recommendations
by Kinimod - 11/24/20 02:52 PM
Your opinions on my digital mixer setup
by Abdol - 11/24/20 02:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,024
Posts3,026,807
Members99,363
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission