2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 30 31
I pre-ordered the Ravenscroft a few days ago, and I'm looking forward to it.

I already have the VI Labs American grand (Steinway D) and Italian Grand (Fazioli F308), and I'm pleased with them and find them nicely playable. I also have a handful of other virtual pianos, including the Galaxy Vintage D, but I prefer using the VI labs pianos. The Vintage D has always sounded a bit artificial and unrealistic to me in a few areas. The tone in the middle register sounds a bit sterile and overly uniform/clean to me, making it sound strangely artificial and digital. Something about the attack also sounds a off to me, and the resonance can occasionally sounds a bit synthetic.

I think I prefer the multiple mic perspective route over the single mic perspective with extra velocity layers. I almost bought the Ivory American D a few times, but I could never pull the trigger as the single mic perspective they chose always sounded a bit distant and sterile to me - like your listening to a recording of a piano instead of actually sitting in front of one playing it. The mic perspectives that VI Labs uses do a better job at capturing that sitting-at-the-piano feeling for me, and you pick up more little things like hammer attack and as a result I get more drawn into the playing (and end up playing longer). I can hear more of the piano's character and it plays more smoothly and lyrically from note-to-note for me. On the Ivory and Vintage D, I find some notes can sound good isolated on their own, but can sound a little artificially detached from one another during playing, for whatever reason. Overall I do think the Ivory D sound better than the Vintage D, but I think the Ravenscroft sounds better than both.

I think VI Labs does a good job with release samples. They sound better to me than on the Vintage D. Releases samples are very important as they allow the piano to still sound believable when playing short/staccato notes. This is where most onboard DP sounds fail miserably, and you need to use a lot of pedal in order to hide the "digital". Even some software pianos have trouble getting it to sound right. With the VI Labs' pianos and I find I can get away with playing a bit more "naked" and exposed (without the pedal covering things up) and still have it come out sounding pretty good.

When it comes time to pedal, their pianos support all the latest pedal techniques (half-pedal, re-pedal, una corda, sostenuto). The use of real half-pedal and pedal resonance samples (as opposed to simulated) is an interesting one, although I can't comment too much on them as I don't listen to them isolated off from all the other samples. The bottom line for me though is that I find the pedals to behave pretty realistically in-use, and I don't get distracted or pulled out of playing because the pedals did something abnormal compared to what a real piano would do. Anyone who has used digital pianos for a while knows the feeling when your playing along and suddenly the damper pedal cuts the sound off in a place where it shouldn't have (or sustains when it shouldn't have), and you pause for a moment with a confused look on your face...

As for the sound of the VI labs pianos themselves, I find the American Grand to sound pretty even and inoffensive across the scale and with a bit of that "american" warmth and intimacy. It's probably the most versatile sounding grand out of the "True Keys" package, and it's currently my go-to piano. It might be slightly too mellow at fff and ppp volumes, and some of the lowest bass notes on the American sound a little bit twangy. The Italian grand has a greater dynamic range, and the bass sounds very powerful and clean (as it should on a 10' piano!). It also has a particularly nice sounding una corda, perhaps the best I've heard in a software piano. The piano has a glass-like purity and brilliance to it - perhaps too brilliant as it can sound a little thin, bright, and even a bit strident at times in some of the upper registers. This can be alleviated some by tweaking the controls.

The Ravenscroft sounds like it falls somewhere in between the two, having better bass, dynamics, and clarity than the American grand, but sounding warmer and less brilliant than the Italian grand. This isn't too surprising, given that the actual Ravenscroft pianos strive to combine some of best the traits of American and European grands into a single piano. It's sort of a "best of" sound, which should hopefully make it nice and versatile. On top of that it has a some new technical perks, like more velocity layers, an extra perspective, and a few more controls to the interface. VI labs' overall sampling/recording process sounds (to my ears) like it has improved a little for the Ravenscroft. I think dialing in a bit of the new "room" mic perspective will add some nice depth and dimensionality to the sound. I'm not sure yet how the "silent strike" and "muted note" features are going to work, but we'll find out soon enough.

I expect the Ravenscroft to be my default go-to piano for the near future.

Last edited by chicolom; 02/09/14 12:50 AM.

Kawai MP6 | Ravenscroft 275 | True Keys American & Italian | Galaxy Vintage D, II, & Giant | Old Black Grand | Imperfect Fazioli
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Audiofreak
the controller was a Kawai VPC1, However it was not stock. Turns out that Spreeman the creator and Master behind Ravenscroft had doctored the VPC1 to make the action as close as possible to the world class Acoustic he has created.
I was there when Myron McKinley of Earth, Wind & Fire sat down at the controller and began to play ... He knew it had been doctored because he had played the stock VPC1 and he said there was no comparison.

It sounds like the doctoring was more than just a customized velocity curve. I wonder if they might release the information/instructions on how they doctored the VPC1. While it might be warranty-voiding, it would be really interesting to know, for someone who bought this VI, how someone could hook it up with the controller configured in such a way that they felt it best duplicated the response/feel of the original acoustic.

C
C
chicolom, Thanks for sharing your experiences with the various software. I too bite the bullet and prepaid yesterday. I really enjoyed the audio samples just posted. And I was curious about their other products. I guess the German grand was just too warm for your tastes?

Yamaha P105, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II Am Concert D, Sennheiser HD650.

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I'd love to know how to doctor a DP to make it almost perfectly match a grand. Count me in!

Originally Posted by Chrisl
chicolom, Thanks for sharing your experiences with the various software. I too bite the bullet and prepaid yesterday. I really enjoyed the audio samples just posted. And I was curious about their other products. I guess the German grand was just too warm for your tastes?

You're welcome.

And yeah, when looking at True Keys I preferred the demos for the American and Italian and I found something about the German grand to sound a bit too dark or mellow, so I held off on that one.

Originally Posted by anotherscott
Turns out that Spreeman the creator and Master behind Ravenscroft had doctored the VPC1 to make the action as close as possible to the world class Acoustic he has created.

Maybe Kawai should hire Michael Spreeman to help design the VPC2. wink

Last edited by chicolom; 02/09/14 06:00 PM.

Kawai MP6 | Ravenscroft 275 | True Keys American & Italian | Galaxy Vintage D, II, & Giant | Old Black Grand | Imperfect Fazioli
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by anotherscott
The Focal's they were using sounded great no doubt, but if it were me and I was going to try and "Hype" the sound, I personally would not have gone with Focal's.

The reason I focused on the playback system was this quote:
Ravenscroft laid it all on the line at NAMM by putting their 9 foot acoustic back to back with the controller station they were running the VI on. My observation was that those that played both, were completely blown away by just how realistic the VI was, and since they could literally turn from the acoustic to the VI, there was no mental lag time in which one had to try and remember what one or the other sounded like. Even more telling was, when 2 (or more) folks would sit at both pianos and play duets with one another. Standing in front of the booth listening to that scenario, if you closed your eyes it was like you were listening to two acoustics!

Even a real acoustic grand, mic'd up and played through speakers, doesn't sound quite the same as it does when you're in the room with it. If you play a high quality piano solo CD at home with the lights off, I don't think you typically could be fooled into thinking there was a real acoustic piano in the room. In my experience, even in professional studios, the piano doesn't sound exactly the same and just as real through the monitors in the control room as it does if you walk into the soundroom that has the piano in it. Basically, I think it's easier to get a VI to sound like a recording of a piano than it is to get it to sound like there's an actual piano in the room (which is why Yamaha uses such an elaborate number and placement of speakers in their Avant Grand). So the idea that people could barely tell the difference between the real grand and the VI would seem to indicate one killer (and well placed) playback system. And if you haven't heard competing VIs on a comparable system, then I'm not sure how fair the comparison is.

Though to get to the second part of that quote, that it was even more telling that the two were indistinguishable when played simultaneously in duets, actually, I think that's probably the easier (i.e. less telling) scenario, because the subtle acoustic cues telling you the real piano is really in the room would "fill in" any such missing cues that might be absent if you were only listening to the piano that wasn't really in the room.

I guess the bottom line is that I would not be surprised if other high quality VIs would fare just as well if you played them next to the piano they were sampled from, through a comparable playback system. I think what may be most interesting here is the adaptation of the VPC1 to closely duplicate the responsiveness of the original. Raw sound is the easier part, I think. Anything should be able to sound very much like what it is recorded from. Getting it to feel as natural to play is probably the trickier part. And that's a combination of things like the velocity mapping (and perhaps other qualities) in the software, the feel of the keyboard, and the correlation between the keyboard and the software.

For recording purposes, I'm sure their software can generally fool listeners into thinking there was a real piano there, as can other VIs, it's just a matter of what sound you prefer. Fooling the player as he's playing it is the trickier proposition!

Excellent points and very eloquently stated Anotherscott.

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Just to speculate for the FUN of it;
I'm wondering if the VPC-1 had what racing mechanics call a "Blue print job" done on it.
i.e. nothing radical, just dis assembly, careful measuring and matching of parts, perhaps a little "easing" of any slightly stiff parts, careful reassembly, etc.

I had a rubics cube that I took apart DECADES ago so that I could SPEED solve it in one hand.
Removed all molding flash, then 600 grit paper on all the sliding surfaces.
A tiny bit sloppy, but SO FAST !

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Michael Spreeman builds extremely fine pianos so the customization could have been well beyond anything a layman could duplicate.

Still, it would be interesting to know exactly what was done.

M
M
have never played, and know next to nothing about SW pianos.
I am fascinated by them though. and am thinking about taking the plunge, and getting the VI Labs Ravenscroft.

this is pleasant, not sure if y'all saw this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WEsL4Lpmas

Last edited by minstrelman; 02/10/14 06:56 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
WHAT have they got in their heads? Love to play like that . . . I reckon whatever they played on would sound good. Music of the city, I call it. Wonderful stuff!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Urban cool, eh? So What!

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Originally Posted by R_B

Hang up;
I hate Dongles and have avoided anything/everything that requires them since the hey day of the Amiga (& Atari).
It isn't JUST the ~$50 penalty, it is the whole THING about having to PAY money to a third party in order to break into software that I pay for in full (I have also somehow "paid" for the "seal" that the dongle (functionally) breaks for me).
There is a statement on their web site that they can now authorize their product(s) on owners' hard drives, which seems to remove the need for a dongle.
I move around a lot between Linux(fave) and Windows(because I HAVE TO) and macs, both virtual and physical machines, so it looks like a dongle would still be needed for me.
Not at all sure that it would "pass through" to a virtual machine, but that is part of the headache.

Yup. Personally, I just don't buy from developers who use draconian hardware copy protection. The Native Instruments challenge-response style is as far as I'm willing to go. VI Labs clearly makes some great stuff, and I just want to go on record as saying they will most likely have another customer if they ever decide to reassess their iLok-based CP schemes.

Yamaha P120, MO6, Steinberg MR816, Galaxy Vintage D, Komplete 8 & various other VIs, Reaper
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Psychonaut
Originally Posted by R_B

Hang up;
I hate Dongles and have avoided anything/everything that requires them since the hey day of the Amiga (& Atari).
It isn't JUST the ~$50 penalty, it is the whole THING about having to PAY money to a third party in order to break into software that I pay for in full (I have also somehow "paid" for the "seal" that the dongle (functionally) breaks for me).
There is a statement on their web site that they can now authorize their product(s) on owners' hard drives, which seems to remove the need for a dongle.
I move around a lot between Linux(fave) and Windows(because I HAVE TO) and macs, both virtual and physical machines, so it looks like a dongle would still be needed for me.
Not at all sure that it would "pass through" to a virtual machine, but that is part of the headache.

Yup. Personally, I just don't buy from developers who use draconian hardware copy protection. The Native Instruments challenge-response style is as far as I'm willing to go. VI Labs clearly makes some great stuff, and I just want to go on record as saying they will most likely have another customer if they ever decide to reassess their iLok-based CP schemes.

Please read their web site CAREFULLY on this, they say they can authorize it on your hard drive, which I took to mean the challenge/response thing similar to NI and Modarrt(Pianoteq) .
(maybe it is "Modartt")

As I said earlier, I move around a LOT between PC, Linux and Mac, both physical and virtual, so that may not work for me.
I am not convinced that a dongle would merely "pass through" as a virtual USB device.

In any case I have decided that there are better spending opportunities for $150 (for ME) to improve my end result - lesson, master class, etc.
Heck, even METHOD BOOKS & CDs/DVDs laugh

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
I would like to try this one (or imperfect fazioli). I have uber PCs stacked to the ceiling. What do I need exactly to get going? One copy of this software, and some sort of USB thingy?

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by xorbe
I would like to try this one (or imperfect fazioli). I have uber PCs stacked to the ceiling. What do I need exactly to get going? One copy of this software, and some sort of USB thingy?

I would not start with this one.

I would start with the FREE Pianoteq software just to get your feet wet.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G

I agree, though they finally recently relented and allowed authorization to the hard drive instead of a physical ilok, which is a step better. Though if your hard drive goes down apparently you still need to call them to work it out or something.

Synthogy, on the other hand, won't budge on the issue, which is why they are still not on my list of possibilities.

C
C
Originally Posted by gvfarns

I agree, though they finally recently relented and allowed authorization to the hard drive instead of a physical ilok, which is a step better. Though if your hard drive goes down apparently you still need to call them to work it out or something.

Synthogy, on the other hand, won't budge on the issue, which is why they are still not on my list of possibilities.

Funny, ditto. I sent them an email too letting them know I won't be buying their software with iLok. No reply lol

Yamaha P105, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II Am Concert D, Sennheiser HD650.

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.
M
M
Originally Posted by xorbe

there's a video on their website. 19 minutes long.
just watched it. you need to jump through some hoops.
I think you just need to download a TK piano, have an iLok and an iLok account, download iLok license manager, download the UVI Workstation. register....minimal configuring for starters.
its quite a good instructional video. the guy takes his time and explains the steps good.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by minstrelman

I think you just need to download a TK piano, have an iLok and an iLok account, download iLok license manager, download the UVI Workstation. register....minimal configuring for starters.
its quite a good instructional video. the guy takes his time and explains the steps good.

You don't need an iLok, so no need to buy one if you don't have it already, you can authorize to your PC with Ilok lincence manager

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
M
M
Originally Posted by Digitalguy
Originally Posted by minstrelman

You don't need an iLok, so no need to buy one if you don't have it already, you can authorize to your PC with Ilok lincence manager

thank you for the correction.
I do have an iLok for like 1 plug in. I got it a couple years ago.
can you advise me on whether or not to even use it, now when I get Ravenscroft, please?

Last edited by minstrelman; 02/10/14 08:01 PM.
Page 4 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 30 31

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission