2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Chrisl Offline OP
OP Offline
C
And I'm a nervous wreck. It's very casual, finger food and such, with 6-8 of his other students, taking turns playing for each other. I've only had lessons twice, but have 3 beginner pieces I'm going to play. Been practicing a lot, feel pretty comfortable, but I'm terrified of playing in front of other people for the first time, and that I'll screw up despite all the practicing!

Anyway, it's a 3:00 today. I need to practice at least twice before the party. And I figured, if I can keep my concentration on the piece, and not all the people staring at me, I think I can pull it off.

Chris

Yamaha P105, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II Am Concert D, Sennheiser HD650.

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.
E
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
E
Chris,

So, how did it go? Most importantly, did you enjoy yourself? It's admirable to play in public after just a few lessons!

C
Chrisl Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi Elaine Thanks for asking! Kinda mundane to what others are posting here. wink

Yeah playing in public is nerve racking!! But it was a lot of fun too...listening to players of all stages (for me lol), learning more about composers and history, as well as meeting other pianists. It was very informal, which was great. There was myself, and another beginner, (who btw didn't want to play at all...the only one too. I felt bad for her.), and then others with 2-25yrs of playing. Inspiring really! And all along too I kept thinking to myself, "now, how long would it take for me to play THAT?!" LOL Overall, a great experience, with a new and better perspective.

Unfortunately, I only got a chance to play my easiest piece, which went great with no mistakes, good timing, and relatively equal key volume. (I need more playing time on his Steinway's 'kinda stiff' to me keys) And it was just plain fantastic to finish the piece! My anxiety was much less lol But as the party was ending, my teacher realized he had only given me the one piece, and apologized as others played 2-3. That was nice of him. Still, I'm a little disappointed I spent all that time practicing to 'perfection' the other two harder pieces....but then again, not really as I'm still very proud of myself for tackling successfully pieces with intervals and sharps for the first time. Tomorrow I'm starting on my first piece with flats...I'll be persistent and can only hope to play of the level and caliber of the guy who's been playing for 25 yrs! wink

Chris

Edit: Oh, I forgot, the highlights for me was 3 Ravel pieces I'd never heard that were fantastic. And a Rachmaninoff piece was neat too...Concerto #2 I think?

Last edited by Chrisl; 02/10/14 01:20 AM.

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.
E
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
E
Sounds like a good experience all around. It's impressive that you are playing pieces with accidentals (ok, sharps and now flats) at this early stage!

Maybe you can play the other pieces for another audience, even just a few friends.

Playing on another piano is always a challenge, but since it's your teacher's piano, you will get used to it. When I finally got a grand piano, I bought one with a hard action, so I would get stronger fingers and find it easier to play others.

Hope to hear you play at one of the ABF online recitals or at a future Chicago piano party.

C
Chrisl Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank You very much ElaineAllegro! I very much appreciate the post! Funny too, last nights' practice with the 'accidentals' (great to incr. my piano vocabulary wink ) was really SLOW. Boy playing them cleanly is hard!

I looked up pics of your piano, beautiful! Congrats!!

But oh my gosh... I looked, and many look beyond 'beginner' to me lol https://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Recital_32
Maybe I'll muster up the courage for the ABF recitals...pretty intimidating though. I def. have plans to attend a Chicago PP! Seems like a lot of fun!

Many Thanks again ElaineAllegro!
Chris

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chrisl
Thank You very much ElaineAllegro! I very much appreciate the post! Funny too, last nights' practice with the 'accidentals' (great to incr. my piano vocabulary wink ) was really SLOW. Boy playing them cleanly is hard!

I looked up pics of your piano, beautiful! Congrats!!

But oh my gosh... I looked, and many look beyond 'beginner' to me lol https://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Recital_32
Maybe I'll muster up the courage for the ABF recitals...pretty intimidating though. I def. have plans to attend a Chicago PP! Seems like a lot of fun!

Many Thanks again ElaineAllegro!
Chris

Meh! Keep in mind that all these guys had to start from scratch at some point, just like you, me and everybody else.

You look at better players in order to learn, see where time and effort can take you, and it should help you realise that they didn't get there in one week.

Look at somebody who is a year more in piano than you are, that will keep it accessible and not a far far dream never to happen.... or happening in 25-30 years from now!

You cannot compare apples to oranges. Looking at how you compare to somebody who has started a little bit earlier than you keeps you motivated and appreciate your improvements.

And don't be put off by the level of many people participating in the beginner recital here, they are NOT beginners, but it's good to see different levels. Nobody laughs at a baby trying to give its first steps, it's just a learning road like most things in life. We are still in nappies, while these guys started earlier. but they also started!

It's like when I have to speak in public or to somebody in an important position. I don't imagine them naked, I simply imagine them having a number 2! Because we all need to go to the bathroom... grin

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
C
Chrisl Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by evamar
Meh! Keep in mind that all these guys had to start from scratch at some point, just like you, me and everybody else.

You look at better players in order to learn, see where time and effort can take you, and it should help you realise that they didn't get there in one week.

Look at somebody who is a year more in piano than you are, that will keep it accessible and not a far far dream never to happen.... or happening in 25-30 years from now!

You cannot compare apples to oranges. Looking at how you compare to somebody who has started a little bit earlier than you keeps you motivated and appreciate your improvements.

And don't be put off by the level of many people participating in the beginner recital here, they are NOT beginners, but it's good to see different levels. Nobody laughs at a baby trying to give its first steps, it's just a learning road like most things in life. We are still in nappies, while these guys started earlier. but they also started!

It's like when I have to speak in public or to somebody in an important position. I don't imagine them naked, I simply imagine them having a number 2! Because we all need to go to the bathroom... grin

LOL evamar, " the level of many people participating in the beginner recital here, they are NOT beginners" Hence why I was surprised by the level of pieces being recorded and posted! Not exactly 'beginner' pieces. In fact, not one in the last recital I'm pretty sure was a beginner piece. It would be nice though to know what people's yrs. of training so I can have perspective.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission