2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Cheeto717, 12 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here's a very simple piece from the soundtrack of Legend 1900, called 'the Crisis'.

Be yourself

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Simply gorgeous, peterws! One of my favourite songs, love your arrangement.

Now you have just put me to shame, as I was learning this one for easy piano... sounds terrible in comparison! cry

I'll continue with it, of course, I just wish I had started learning piano some 20 years ago or maybe 40... grin

Last edited by evamar; 02/08/14 08:45 AM.

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by evamar

Now you have just put me to shame, as I was learning this one for easy piano... sounds terrible in comparison! cry

I'll continue with it, of course, I just wish I had started learning piano some 20 years ago or maybe 40... grin

Thanks, lass. The problem is, there are some of us on this site who can`t be considered beginners either in the normal sense, or even re-beginners sense; the passage of time or even the amount of learning absorbed precludes it. Doesn`t seem either fair or encouraging to others who are. So I can only encourage. indeed, ask you to set aside your hesitation. Maybe something needs addressing; there seems to be a lack of "beginners" willing to participate these days. And might this be an indication as to why?

Have fun!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws

Thanks, lass. The problem is, there are some of us on this site who can`t be considered beginners either in the normal sense, or even re-beginners sense; the passage of time or even the amount of learning absorbed precludes it. Doesn`t seem either fair or encouraging to others who are. So I can only encourage. indeed, ask you to set aside your hesitation. Maybe something needs addressing; there seems to be a lack of "beginners" willing to participate these days. And might this be an indication as to why?

Have fun!

It's fine, anybody playing like that is obviously not a beginner, so I'm not really comparing. I can only learn from your playing, just as I learn from any player at a level more advanced than mine.

The real difference between people here is how much time and effort they have put into learning to play piano. We haven't started all at the same time, and I think it's actually good to see different levels.

I don't mean in any way to reduce the number of contributions from more advanced players, they are useful in their own way and it's nice to see where we can get one day. But yes, I agree that it would be nice to see some more real beginners' acts here.

I'll be posting my easy version when I'm confident enough with it, it's still recognisable! cool

... I have just got a Creedence Clearwater Revival book, which of course is still far too advanced for me... but one day it won't be!

[Linked Image]
You know, there are always people better than yourself, no matter how good you are . . .!

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elssa
Elssa I think my working days are over! Used to play in a holiday restaurant in the Lake District (Ambleside area) and fell foul of a Liverpudlian and his feral brood . . . not worth the hassle. And a sophisticated venue wouldn`t want me!

Have fun . .

Peter, just wondering, when you played at your restaurant, did people request you to play songs? You sound like you could play anything on the fly in a wonderful professional way. smile

Not many requested songs thank goodness. Tbh, I don`t have the demeaner that gravitates people in my direction! So that helped, too . . now and again, someone would want to turn the evening into a karaoke session. Not a chance! And mothers would request you let their little daughters play . . .

It was all background stuff, a variety of genres and time scales. I`d play around the tune, and forget not only what I was playing, but the key I was in, too. So I had a list of ready back up songs to get me out of my self dug hole . . . nobody noticed to my knowledge.

It was fun.

Hi Peter; I've always been shy about performing, not helped by the fact that I can't sing well at all (cat usually runs under the bed - don't blame her). lol But I think playing "background music" would be good and fun to do in most places. smile

Still snowed in here, more this weekend. Just watching the Olympics. Here's a song apropos..

Polovetsian Dances - Borodin (aka Stranger in Paradise)

Last edited by Elssa; 02/09/14 01:04 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A "redo" of the videos posted yesterday , .... the first time (posted yesterday) sorta looked to me in "bad form and too casual ", I usually practice in the morning , so...
the look of the video was unintentional .

I am still practicing “Clair de Lune” , which is the most challenging. The whole probably will not be done for months .

You can see, I am dabbling with the effects in movie maker
Tubbie00750

Great start , are you beginning this piece? I thought it sounded good but has pauses, maybe they are in the score. I do that a lot in pieces I am practicing- for example, below .

Kennjazz - the jazz groups brings back memories , Spyrogyra.........the 70's and disco .. I wanna relive those years .
Well, not really, but that is cool playing/song . I liked the "Yellowjackets" - "Claire's Song" was a favorite.
I think either Syrogyra or the Yellowjackets also did the soundtrack for "Mutiny on the Bounty " with Mel Gibson . The song was was "The Angelus" and it was a moving piece. ( famous painting too, BTW )
blush ( well, got that one wrong i did, it was Vangelus eek
who did the sound track ... (well it sounded alike).
Anyway, nice playing , and that dog in the video is Amazing . ( caring with a child)

Peteersw ,- "Killing me softly" is quite impressive. Is that played in blues style with riffs? I don't know " piano blues" well enough to identify the playing, if it is ,,, I want to certainly learn the blues style .
Nevertheless impressive .

Nevertheless impressive .

[video]
"Medlody" Handel

Handel "Melody" from Pianonewbie1 on Vimeo.

/[video]

[video]
"Clair de Lune" Division 2

Clair de Lune Division 2 (Pianonewwbie1) . from Pianonewbie1 on Vimeo.

[/video]

I am planning to watch "Georgia" -- .

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianonewbie1

Tubbie00750

Great start , are you beginning this piece? I thought it sounded good but has pauses, maybe they are in the score. I do that a lot in pieces I am practicing- for example, below .

That's as good as I could get for a quick-learn-and-record piece. I don't intend to play this piece again.

There was no pause. Those were longer notes and were meant to be played that way. If anything, I didn't take my time enough to slow the piece down and vary the tempo more. When my teacher said I needed to be more free with the tempo, I didn't think it was that much of a problem. But every time I record and hear myself play, it is evident that he was right.

Here's the original soundtrack. The tempo is much more 'elastic' and it brings out the emotion a lot more (of course, the strings helped).

Be yourself

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You know, there are always people better than yourself, no matter how good you are . . .!

And so many things about myself can improve, piano is only one of them! laugh

But no, I see what better players (really almost anybody at my level) can do and it only helps me see that the time and effort one puts into the piano simply pays back... quite late, but it does. So I don't think that better players demoralise beginners, they just help them see where they might get if they persevere.

So come on, real beginners, let's start sending our poor attempts at making music, even the better players started like us many years ago. Let's not be this shy and scared of some publicity and criticism, our noise is normal! wink

[Linked Image]
Tubbie0075

Played well, man. Loved the piano sound (could hear all those gorgeous resonances, just like on my software Steinway) and, was that rain falling? It gives a certain atmosphere which is wholly appropriate. Excellent work!

"[Linked Image]"
Elssa
An old Square Tango we used to do. . . .It looked good watching the dancing from the stage. Bet you`ve played this many many times . . .

"[Linked Image]"
pianonewbie1
Your Handel piece was really nice, the piano sounded soft and sympathetic to the genre; the strings added as well. Handel is the basis for most of our hymns, and the springboard for later composers such as Mendelssohn, Schumann, Beethoven etc etc. And so much music today. Pop ballads based on classical stuff like this will always tweak the heart strings of the young and foolish, not to mention some of us old cynics who should know better! . . .Well done.

"[Linked Image]"
pianonewbie1
Loved the impending disaster on your music stand. WHO forgot to close the window/doors then? You`re determined to do Clare de Lune. And you will. Time brings its own rewards and will not be rushed! (Try telling that to your boss when he`s leaning over your shoulder . .)

"[Linked Image]"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks to all for sharing.

Pianonewbie1, extra points for keeping concentrated even with the flying music sheets!

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well I surely can't muck up the recital with this and I can't seem to get a decent recording. I'll post my effort of Feb 1 to the Feb piano bar. Couple of ugly clunkers and you gotta love that pressing of the practice pedal on the arpp at the end; I know I loved it! mad

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tNJxQS50Res[/video]

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Some great music so far in February - Great start with Ken's Morning Dance. I'll come back to comment a little later. In the meantime I'd like to share something I started to play around with a couple of days a go and which has come together super fast (for me anyway).
I might add some string pads if I can be bothered to battle with the technology.

Oh and Peter your comment "I don`t have the demeaner that gravitates people in my direction" ,
you're killing me :-)

So anyway , this is Sad Song , which is a tempory title , not sure it's too sad and its in a major Key anyway !

https://app.box.com/s/h7nhgg9auorlbukmvpwy

Jazztpt

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Tubbie0075

Played well, man. Loved the piano sound (could hear all those gorgeous resonances, just like on my software Steinway) and, was that rain falling? It gives a certain atmosphere which is wholly appropriate. Excellent work!

Thanks Peterws. The rain falling effect was added using Final Cut Pro.

I enjoyed your playing too. It's felt free and flowing. Wished you had a better camcorder/webcam though.

Be yourself

Ragdoll

I`m sure you know there`s no need to worry about these things here. Mistakes are there to work through, or crash through . . . .and it takes more time to work through them. A month or two makes such a difference! It`s comin` along fine and your piano sounds great!

"[Linked Image]"
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
As usual. The Piano Bar seems to be the most interesting place to listen. Enjoying them all.

Originally Posted by Tubbie0075

That's as good as I could get for a quick-learn-and-record piece. I don't intend to play this piece again.

That's a shame. An absolutely beautiful piece of music. Something to enjoy.
I listened very critically to you. You got it all. You did really good. Great for a quick learn and record piece.
I must ask...
The sheet music didn't have a big crescendo all the way to the 1:55 point, where the strings drop off? Kinda hard to pick it out in the original with the strings over the top of everything.
I won't bore you with my thoughts. This is something I could obsess over.

So come on, real beginners, let's start sending our poor attempts at making music,...

Gee... I can't let go of anything until it's musical.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tubbie0075

I must ask...
The sheet music didn't have a big crescendo all the way to the 1:55 point, where the strings drop off? Kinda hard to pick it out in the original with the strings over the top of everything.
I won't bore you with my thoughts. This is something I could obsess over.

The sheet music has no dynamic markings at all. I do admit there needed to have more dynamic contrasts to elevate the middle section and I didn't do much of it. I could have also used the soft pedal for the beginning and ending sections. The other problem was that my mic was not far enough (or maybe too far) from the piano. So the recorded volume would have been more or less within a very small range. Perhaps I could experiment more with mic placements.

Last edited by Tubbie0075; 02/09/14 06:20 PM.

Be yourself

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission