2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
lolatu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I notice that the new Rolands no longer have MIDI ports. shocked Only a "USB COMPUTER port (USB type B)" (which the 505 etc had also).

So how would you connect this to an external sound module like the Integra-7, or a backing module like the BK-7m? Did Roland think this through?

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
yes - that's not a good idea from Roland. Standard MIDI is very useful still - and in the case of connecting other midi stuff such as modules, essential.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
H
H
I suppose they reason that your are not going to need MIDI at home just like Yamaha think that you are not going to need string resonance on stage.

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I assume the USB port "speaks MIDI" ?
and that a simple MIDI/USB adapter works.
This is what I and many others use to connect laptops to MIDI Keyboards.

IS THERE a problem ?

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Check this Roland link, there is a midi implementation document to download..... all 45 pages of it!

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=manuals&p=HP506

Last edited by slipperykeys; 02/08/14 09:46 AM.
lolatu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hookxs
I suppose they reason that your are not going to need MIDI at home just like Yamaha think that you are not going to need string resonance on stage.

Hmm, so every home DP maker (except the really cheap ones) for the last 20 years has thought that we need them, and now suddenly we don't? Arranger pianos have been popular since their inception, and I thought the reason Roland doesn't do them any more is because you can plug in a backing module... but now it seems, you can't.

Originally Posted by R_B
I assume the USB port "speaks MIDI" ?
and that a simple MIDI/USB adapter works... IS THERE a problem ?

USB devices are asymmetric - one is the host, uses an A-type connector, and provides power. The other is a peripheral and uses a B-type connector. The HPs actually have both, but the A-type is marked in the manual purely as a "USB MEMORY port", with no mention of MIDI. Therefore I would be very surprised if it does work with a MIDI/USB adaptor (which all are A-type).

I think the asymmetry of USB makes it fundamentally unsuitable for MIDI connections, which require a peer-to-peer relationship.

Originally Posted by slipperykeys
Check this Roland link, there is a midi implementation document to download..... all 45 pages of it!

This probably refers to the MIDI over USB when attached to a computer. It doesn't help with connecting to any other MIDI device which does not act as a USB host.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by lolatu

This probably refers to the MIDI over USB when attached to a computer. It doesn't help with connecting to any other MIDI device which does not act as a USB host.

This link probably refers to USB to midi adaptors.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=usb+to+midi+adaptors

lolatu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
slipperykeys - did you read my post above? These adaptors are for USB A-type. Are you saying you can do MIDI through the piano's memory stick connection?

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Here is a list of the connections available.

DC In jack
Input jack: Stereo miniature phone type
Output (L/Mono, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
USB COMPUTER port: USB Type B
USB MEMORY port: USB Type A
Phones jacks (Stereo, with Twin Piano Individual Mode) x 2:
Stereo miniature phone type, Stereo 1/4-inch phone type

I have no idea what the USB sockets can be used for. I imagine that USB A is an input and USB B is an output but you would need to check. I have no idea what the 45 page midi implementation manual says as I never use midi.

If you have technical questions you wish to have answered this should help.

http://www.rolandforums.co.uk/

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I suspect that much becomes clear if the manual is read.
(Read for understanding)

My GUESS is that USB A and USB B can correspond to MIDI IN and MIDI OUT (or the other way around) when configured appropriately.
There may be a MIDI THRU function, the manual would probably provide info on this.

Fortunately I am without such an instrument - WAYyyy out of date keyboard controller and mostly rack gear here, though I hook up to the laptop for software virtual instruments via an EMU MIDI/USB adapter from time to time, THAT appears to be bi-directional.

Did I suggest using the manual ?
No ?
Sorry about that, I had meant to.

Please read the manual.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
But USB A and USB B are not AT ALL equivalent to MIDI IN and MIDI OUT. USB is assymentric as lolatu already said.

Originally Posted by slipperykeys
Here is a list of the connections available.

DC In jack
Input jack: Stereo miniature phone type
Output (L/Mono, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
USB COMPUTER port: USB Type B
USB MEMORY port: USB Type A
Phones jacks (Stereo, with Twin Piano Individual Mode) x 2:
Stereo miniature phone type, Stereo 1/4-inch phone type

I have no idea what the USB sockets can be used for. I imagine that USB A is an input and USB B is an output but you would need to check. I have no idea what the 45 page midi implementation manual says as I never use midi.

If you have technical questions you wish to have answered this should help.

http://www.rolandforums.co.uk/

The point was not about 'technical questions'. The point was in answer to R B who asked:

IS THERE a problem?

.....to which lolatu answered:

I think the asymmetry of USB makes it fundamentally unsuitable for MIDI connections, which require a peer-to-peer relationship.

That's the point. Not having MIDI makes it impossible (or very complicated and expensive with USB to MIDI converters) to link instruments together in the way you can easily do with the old MIDI sockets.

Most people will simply be linking straight to a computer with their DP, and Roland, Casio etc, know this. But MIDI-less DPs are not a welcome development, in my view.

Question: could you link up a [Roland HP] DP direct to a Roland Integra-7 (or similar) using only MIDI over USB?

Last edited by toddy; 02/08/14 02:55 PM.

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by toddy

Question: could you link up a [Roland HP] DP direct to a Roland Integra-7 (or similar) using only MIDI over USB?

You would expect so, otherwise they have cutoff the possibility of buying one of their most expensive and best products - one that a DP buyer would very possibly want. But come on Roland - just put some damn MIDI ports in! It really is worth the extra $10 it would cost to put them in. Roland wrote the book on MIDI, implementation into any of their products is a breeze. Crazy that they left it out. They will lose sales over this - more than they save by not having it.

Originally Posted by ando
They will lose sales over this - more than they save by not having it.

Totally agree (even that I don't need them)

Last edited by Hanseat; 02/08/14 04:43 PM.

Roland HP504
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Just looking at this;
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1301/specs/
I found two or three reference to Standard MIDI files Format 0,1
At least the spec column infers that it understands MIDI internally.
Of course, it could just mean that it can merely PLAY them from a thumb drive.
I guess that would be the MIDI IN USB port ?
I'm shooting in the dark here, surely it can WRITE MIDI files of what you play out TO a thumb drive ?
As you play it ?, or only as a dump of a file that it creates ?
I just went down the "Features" column on that web page, it IMPLIES only as a file dump.
If that is true - maybe they want you to NOT use superior tones from computers or whatever other external sound generators you like, perhaps understandable for a "Home" piano.

In which case ...BUMMERrrrrrrr

Unfortunately there is NOT a link to an owners manual on their web site, or I would have looked for something like "How to load & play MIDI a file".

T
T
The USB type B connector is usually both MIDI in and out. The type A connector is usually only for connecting a memory stick.

The difference between A and B (and the reason there are two types) is that type A is usually powered, while type B never is. I think that's why there has to be two different connectors.

Roland RD-700NX // Casio PX-5S // Galaxy Vintage D
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Thanks for posting that link slipperykeys, for some odd reason I couldn't get to a manual for 504, 506, 508 from where I was on Roland support, just brochures.

Others folk;
See Various Settings (Function mode) beginning on page 52.

Yes, they DO show a loop with labels on "USB MIDI Out" going to a sequencer and from there back in via "USB MIDI In" to the sound generator.

They also address; SURPRISE...
copy/paste
MIDI Transmit Channel Settings (MIDI Transmit Channel)

I think this answers MOST of the concern ?

Last edited by R_B; 02/08/14 05:46 PM.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by torhu
The USB type B connector is usually both MIDI in and out. The type A connector is usually only for connecting a memory stick.

The difference between A and B (and the reason there are two types) is that type A is usually powered, while type B never is. I think that's why there has to be two different connectors.

Type A is master, type B is slave.

To connect a MIDI device directly to another MIDI device (not computer), you need real MIDI jacks, not USB.

There are a few exceptions. This device can allow you to connect a USB device directly to a MIDI device:
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml
and also one or more of the iConnectMIDI interfaces.

The Kronos is the only keyboard I'm aware of that allows you to directly connect another device over USB (i.e. a control surface or another keyboard to control/trigger the Korg's sounds).

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I think this answers MOST of the concern ?

Well, I may have missed something, but it's not clear at all to me whether you can connect these new HP DPs to other midi equipment. For example: can you connect it directly to a Roland Integra-7. (I can't see how unless the Integra-7 can be configured as a HOST)

Can it be connected to a midi sound module such as an EMU Proteus or a Roland U110, Roland D110, etc etc?

Can you connect to a midi sequencer using MIDI IN/OUT/THROUGH?

Of course you can transmit and receive to & from a computer in the middle of the setup. That's not in question. But my guess is that you have to have a computer to connect these new DPs to the outside world via midi.....which is kind of concerning somehow.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
it's not clear at all to me whether you can connect these new HP DPs to other midi equipment. For example: can you connect it directly to a Roland Integra-7. (I can't see how unless the Integra-7 can be configured as a HOST)

Can it be connected to a midi sound module such as an EMU Proteus or a Roland U110, Roland D110, etc etc?

The answer to all of these question is no, unless maybe you buy one of the devices I mentioned in my previous post.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by anotherscott
it's not clear at all to me whether you can connect these new HP DPs to other midi equipment. For example: can you connect it directly to a Roland Integra-7. (I can't see how unless the Integra-7 can be configured as a HOST)

The answer to all of these question is no, unless maybe you buy one of the devices I mentioned in my previous post.

.....at a cost of over ยง145. Well done Roland! Though I can't see why you'd really have the need to do this - after all these are not gigging instruments. But you will need the palaver of a computer to connect the things up at all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission