2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (7sheji, bcalvanese, Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 5 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
cw Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Iam looking for a piano for my son. He is 13 and has been playing for 6 years. I didn't think it would be this much work.My budget and room size limits me.I have read some past posts and have gained some great information.I have it narrowed down to a charles walter upright.He has played it andlikes the piano. He liked the steinway better but maybe after i hit lotto. Any advice you could give will help since i don,t play.Also I heard that cw is changing the actions on their uprights.Anyone know a good dealer on or near long island. His piano teacher said to look at baldwin. We now own an old wurlitser that he has outgrown. thanks

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
The CW is a very nice instrument. I'm sure that if you purchase it from a reputable dealership, you will be pleased.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

Ditto, Steve.

CW, you're in a very good position. The instrument you're looking at has a good reputation. It's new and will be under warranty. Your son likes it. I don't know about the change in action, but with Charles Walter's reputation, I'm guessing that they're doing it because they think the instrument will be even better. As I see it, all you have to do now is negotiate a fair price. There should be ample information on this forum for you to do that, if you search under "Charles Walter" and remember that the very lowest prices might be special cases, like a dealer who's going out of business.

I'm wondering whether you have a concern about the dealership where your son played the CW, or whether you'd just like to try another dealer to see if he/she has a better selection or price. If so, you might check the Walter website to see if there's a dealership directory.

In the end, just make sure you trust the person you buy from. It's important, business-wise, but trust is important to me personally, too. I like to work with "good folks" and I consider it a form of voting with my dollars. It's good to support small business owners who are out there trying to make a living in a tough marketplace, while still doing it with integrity.

Mary Anna
http://www.maryannaevans.com

Mary Anna Evans
Author of the Faye Longchamp mysteries
http://www.maryannaevans.com
Blogging at maryannaevans@blogspot.com
C
cw Offline OP
OP Offline
C
thank you for the help. MY problem with the dealer is that my son tried several brands and felt that the action was different on several of them even the same brand. Also some were out of tune. It seemed to me that a good dealer would keep floor modles tuned and regulated?

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally posted by cw:
thank you for the help. MY problem with the dealer is that my son tried several brands and felt that the action was different on several of them even the same brand. Also some were out of tune. It seemed to me that a good dealer would keep floor modles tuned and regulated?
It is entirely appropriate to point out short-comings in piano(s) you may be interested in, and ask that they be corrected in time for a return visit at a future time.

Not to try to justify poor dealer set-up, but pianos are one of the last "machines" with moving parts made from wood. And newly-formed wood parts can and will change as they adapt to varying temperature and humidity.

Give them a chance to make the instruments right before you seek another dealer.

Wynne
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
By the way, I'm a *very* satisfied owner of a Charles Walter vertical. I have no doubt that it is a fine instrument and will be a big boost to your son.

Wynne
C
cw Offline OP
OP Offline
C
again thanks for your input.The dealer also says that they will give me the purchase price toward any future purchase.Is this of value or is it just some sort of weird trade in thing.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just some weird trade in thing.

CW pianos are very nice, though. That would be an excellent choice for your son.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
I sell CW (so I am a little biased), but I can tell you they are fine pianos that are backed well by the Walter family. If you ever have a problem, they will bend over backwards to help.

Good Luck,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I second what Rich just said.

As far as the full price trade for upgrade...
It is basically just a "weird trade thing". I mean, an honest dealer is going to give you a fair price at any time.
It's the same rule with any trade-in really.

C
cw Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I just called walters co. and was informed they are changing from"Langer" to"Renner" actions should I wait so that my son can try the new action? thanks

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Tried new Walter studios and concoles, was not overly impressed. Then the dealer tried to get me to commit to one that was in a warehouse elsewhere.

Bought a Petrof studio with Detoa action, love it.

C
CMS Offline
C
CW,

All comments on CW uprights implicitly refer to the current Langer actions. Many people like it the way it is, I know that I do on mine. For that matter, a friend of mine, a quite picky pianist, preferred it to the "full" Renner action in a nearby S&P upright. By all means, this is a personal preference. Rest assured that the current Langer action is excellent and this should not be a reason to not get the piano, if the current touch and tone are on your liking. You might get even a better price going for a piano in stock.

Can any of the dealers comment on why CW changes from Langer to Renner on their uprights? I know that Langer is owned by Walter family. It might be simply a business decision, rather than a technical one.

C
cw Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I was told by walters that they use Renner on their grands and were starting to use them on the uprights. As to why I don't know vary much about either.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission