2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
I thought this guys has some interesting ideas and has a lot of interesting things to say!
I just came across his channel on youtube at LivingPianosVideos on youtube.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QiSllRUANew[/video]

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
T
T
Keith Jarrett in an interview said he has two different mindsets when playing jazz and classical.

Jazz is all about freedom, improvising. Classical is about interpretation.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
The word 'jazz' is an umbrella over so many disparate styles that it has lost meaning in the same sense that 'popular' music could mean anything or nothing.

Jazz embodies a tradition of improvisation, although most improvisations have harmonic formulae and configurations that have been fleshed out many times. If improvisation is the issue, then among the greatest public improvisors in history were Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Liszt, etc. It was a foregone conclusion that great pianists of the 18th and 19th century would improvise for their audiences.

The tradition of not improvising is comparatively recent; midway through the 20th century. Through the years I have run across various written accounts of Rachmaninoff, Hoffman, Paderewski, and others improvising as a prelude to the printed program. The irony is that improvisation is actually more in the classical tradition than so-called 'classical' piano recitals of today.

Jazz piano teachers I know are frequently more conscientious in teaching harmony and theory to their students than many classical-only teachers I have encountered. Yesterday I took on another new student who had been studying with a 'distinguished' teacher at the Mannes music conservatory here in NYC - according to this new student, her teacher refused to teach her scales because "the scales are already in the music".

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
From the video..."The more styles you can play, the more marketable you can be."

I can't agree with this more! They should make every freshman music major write this a thousand times.

I can't see how studying jazz can hurt your classical chops. However, Keith Jarrett said in an interview that he never got nervous playing a jazz gig until he recorded Classical. After that, he said he had some issues with nerves (not that it seemed to slow him down at all).

Last edited by DanS; 02/11/14 12:44 PM.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission