2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
75 members (Albertan, CLM Piano Learner, blueviewlaguna., anotherscott, anamnesis, andrea83, Bill McKaig,RPT, An Old Square, 36251, 15 invisible), 1,389 guests, and 476 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2226161 02/05/14 05:56 AM
Romek Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello,
I noticed recently some squeaking noises coming from C6 and F3 keys. My piano is new (I bought it 6 months ago) and it was only tuned once, a couple of weeks after the delivery. Next tuning is scheduled for March / April when the heating period will come to an end. Should I wait for the scheduled tunig and regulation or ask the tech to do it now?

Many thanks in advance.
Romek

Last edited by Romek; 02/05/14 05:59 AM.

W. Hoffmann V120/Vario
KAWAI ES-8
Romek #2226175 02/05/14 07:12 AM
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
It's purely a consideration of cost. If you will let the tech come now he will fix it. If you let the tech do it when he's tuning your piano anyway it's perhaps cheaper.
It most likely won't do any harm, squeaking keys are very common among new pianos.

Heck, I even squeak at the moment because I haven't played piano for a few days (no access to it).

Last edited by wimpiano; 02/05/14 07:13 AM.
Romek #2226254 02/05/14 10:17 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Call your dealer. This sounds like it should be a warranty issue so it shouldn't be a cost issue. Then again it may also simply work itself out with playing.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
Romek #2226261 02/05/14 10:33 AM
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Romek,
If it is the "light" kind of squeaky key sound that can only be heard when the key is moved without letting the hammer strike the strings-it is likely to be the knuckle. Most tech's use a powdered teflon to lube this. Usually enough stays on permanently to make the squeak disappear.

If the action is working well in spite of the noise you could remind the tech when you make the next tuning appt. and get it fixed then.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Romek #2226273 02/05/14 10:57 AM

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Well, it would be rare if it is a warranty issue. It would appear to be nothing more than the usual "new piano syndrome."

Call your dealer and mention what you are hearing and that it is frustrating. Good dealers will have a tech stop by and fix it as a courtesy, even if the piano does not yet require a full tuning.

A not so good dealer will tell you to "not get your unders in a bundle."

Either way, it will be fixed. Don't panic yet.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Romek #2226607 02/05/14 09:09 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
New piano syndrome, forsooth. Courtesy, warranty, dealer pays, manufacturer pays, not important. New piano is making a sound it shouldn't be and someone above me mentioned cost. It shouldn't cost the OP anything. Call it shop warranty or manufacturers warranty but it's warranty.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
Romek Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Romek,
If it is the "light" kind of squeaky key sound that can only be heard when the key is moved without letting the hammer strike the strings-it is likely to be the knuckle. Most tech's use a powdered teflon to lube this. Usually enough stays on permanently to make the squeak disappear.

If the action is working well in spite of the noise you could remind the tech when you make the next tuning appt. and get it fixed then.

First of all, thank you all for your replies. Yes, they can be heard before the hammer hits the strings but it seems that these sounds disappear when I slightly move the keys to the left side. It is not a big issue while playing however, when I turn on the silent piano they become annoying. I sent the message to the dealer. Unfortunately, dealer's location is 400 km away and the tech visits Warsaw only once a month. I wait for the dealer's reply.

Update: the dealer contacted me and scheduled the tech's visit for the last week of Feb for extra tuning and regulation. The regulation is covered by the warranty and they will also cover the cost of the tuning smile .
Thank you very much for our help!

Romek

Last edited by Romek; 02/06/14 06:15 AM. Reason: Update

W. Hoffmann V120/Vario
KAWAI ES-8

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Factory silent options
by Gombessa - 01/26/22 11:23 AM
History of Yamaha U1 price
by VeritasNL - 01/26/22 10:25 AM
Where to find a concert grand to play
by Keyburn - 01/26/22 08:42 AM
17th Adilia Alieva International Music Competition
by Alex-Peter - 01/26/22 06:21 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,362
Posts3,164,093
Members104,170
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission