2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by toddy
Political correctness is often common courtesy, which is fine. It's mostly pretty harmless, but taken too far, can be infuriating!

For reasons I don't understand, in the US anyway, common courtesy seems to be strongly politically polarized. Even when taken too far it's generally harmless. And a bit of courtesy will take you a long way.

My rules of thumb re. ethnic references:
1. Generally avoid any terms used by actors in Hollywood war films.
2. Strongly suspect any terms from previous generations.

A few years ago I stopped using the word "gyp" when I realized it probably referred to Gypsies, and I'm Gypsy neutral. I'll probably have the anti-PC police knocking at my door with a warrant for saying that.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dewster
I'm Gypsy neutral.

??? that's a funny one! grin

As a foreigner here I'm a second class citizen, and quite clearly. British people are quite notorious about putting a label within 2 seconds of listening to somebody speaking and foreigners from a non English speaking country will always have to prove themselves here. Not a gypsy myself, but for many "natives" not a lot of a difference. People are very classicist here, still a lot of lower/middle/high class syndrome (and also those same 3 levels inside each level!). I guess they hate that because of my accent they cannot give me a social label so easily laugh

Really, I'm the first one saying that the foreigners living abroad are the ones to adapt to the host country, not the other way. But of course I can say that without being called a racist precisely because I am a foreigner! What an irony! grin

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
peter,
I don't understand how the caution against the use of the term 'jap' has turned into a tirade against political correctness.

Now I'm sympathetic to the issue of political over-correctness, but this word has a clear historical and etymological reason why many people consider it derogatory. Instead of modifying your usage, stating that you will "stand your ground" against political correctness is a very arrogant point of view. This word has been considered improper for quite some time, it's not the fault of being 'politically correct' that you were not informed about it's connotations.

Last edited by chickenlump; 02/03/14 05:14 PM.

Yamaha C6F
Kawai CA95
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Besides, the piano is manufactured in Indonesia, not Japan.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
M
M
I'm about a month from receiving my CS10 (hopefully). All these problems with the CA95's keyboard action are making me concerned. If I get a problem with my piano, I probably have to ship the piano to the nearest piano technician, about 200 km. The same will probably be true for any DP. From following this thread, one can get the impression that the reliability of either Yamaha or Roland is somewhat better than Kawais? So, should I cancel my order for the CS10, and go one of Roland LX15 or Yamaha NU1?

Last edited by Morty; 02/03/14 07:45 PM.

Kawai CS10
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Morty
I'm about a month from receiving my CS10 (hopefully). All these problems with the CA95's keyboard actions is making me concerned. If I get a problem with my piano, I probably have to ship the piano to the nearest piano technician, about 200 km. The same will probably be true for any DP. From following this thread, one can get the impression that the reliability of either Yamaha or Roland is somewhat better than Kawais? So, should I cancel my order for the CS10, and go one of Roland LX15 or Yamaha NU1?

No, not for the reasons you state.

M
M
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
I'm about a month from receiving my CS10 (hopefully). All these problems with the CA95's keyboard actions is making me concerned. If I get a problem with my piano, I probably have to ship the piano to the nearest piano technician, about 200 km. The same will probably be true for any DP. From following this thread, one can get the impression that the reliability of either Yamaha or Roland is somewhat better than Kawais? So, should I cancel my order for the CS10, and go one of Roland LX15 or Yamaha NU1?

No, not for the reasons you state.

Ok, thanks. thumb

Kawai CS10
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The question is if there is any indication of more problems with Kawai than other brands. Such an indication can not be based on one thread, and the experiences of one or few users. I've been reading about problems with Yamaha boards as well, for example the Yamaha P105. People tend to place higher demands though - and rightly so in my opinion - on more expensive pianos.

If we want to know which brands have the higher failing statistics, we have to look at many discussion sites, and many reviews, from here, from Amazon, Sweetwater, Musician's Friend and on and on. One dissatisfied customer doesn't tell you much, fifteen dissatisfied customers do.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
I
OP Offline
I
I'm about a month from receiving my CS10 (hopefully). All these problems with the CA95's keyboard action are making me concerned.

So, should I cancel my order for the CS10, and go one of Roland LX15 or Yamaha NU1?

Of course not. Mine is just one of the few exceptions. I believe there are many Kawai DPs that are delivered in perfect conditions. Don't worry about it. smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
evemar

"As a foreigner here I'm a second class citizen, and quite clearly. British people are quite notorious about putting a label within 2 seconds of listening to somebody speaking . . "

Nay, lad! You`re not a second class citizen. Your statement applies primarily (you may not realize this) to the Great North - South Divide. There`s an imaginary line drawn between Bristol and The Wash which divides our Sceptred Isle. You will not be accepted in Southern circles with a Northern accent, to the degree that anyone wanting to get on in their chosen vocation will take ellekyu-shun lessons (sorry about that, I`ve had a drink) like Tony Blair (a Scotsman) and countless others have. . . as far as foreigners are concerned, give back whatever you have to take. We love it . . .!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Originally Posted by chickenlump
peter,
I don't understand how the caution against the use of the term 'jap' has turned into a tirade against political correctness.

Now I'm sympathetic to the issue of political over-correctness, but this word has a clear historical and etymological reason why many people consider it derogatory. Instead of modifying your usage, stating that you will "stand your ground" against political correctness is a very arrogant point of view. This word has been considered improper for quite some time, it's not the fault of being 'politically correct' that you were not informed about it's connotations.

You really don`t get it do you? Can you not discern the difference between arrogance and humour? Lose humour, you lose everything. Imo of course. You`re not an ole Brit, you cannot possibly understand the way a 65yo thinks in our country which has been subject to an effete Government system that caves in to every vociferous pressure group in existence whilst in power, yet vehemently opposes them whilst in Opposition. We live in deceptive times, my friend. Be aware. George Orwell perceived this long ago. Patrick McGoohan did too; he portrayed the Legal Profession as clowns("The Prisoner") . .

In any case, I didn`t start this bloody argument! James did . . . .

Further. Please, if anyone wants to continue this debate, please send me a personal and keep this posting clear! Cheers Peter. Have fun.

Last edited by peterws; 02/03/14 08:37 PM.

"[Linked Image]"
M
M
Originally Posted by iceporky
I'm about a month from receiving my CS10 (hopefully). All these problems with the CA95's keyboard action are making me concerned.

So, should I cancel my order for the CS10, and go one of Roland LX15 or Yamaha NU1?

Of course not. Mine is just one of the few exceptions. I believe there are many Kawai DPs that are delivered in perfect conditions. Don't worry about it. smile

Ok. There isn't a lot of information about the CS10 on the net, and most of the information there are, are on these forums. There isn't a lot of "review" type information to get hold on on any of the top DP's, and for one who doesn't have to opportunity to test all of them it's hard to get a real impression of them. So, one tries to absorb all information one can find, and filter out the noise before making a conclusion. Since there are so little information available, especially on the CS10, a few negative comments/threads can make a big impact on the perception of an instruments qualities.

So, I will stick to my decision and hope for the best!

M

Last edited by Morty; 02/03/14 08:31 PM.

Kawai CS10
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Way to go Morty! The CS10 is a very fine DP!

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
I
OP Offline
I
Since there are so little information available, especially on the CS10, a few negative comments/threads can make a big impact on the perception of an instruments qualities.

I don't see this as an issue with Kawai's products. I see it as an issue with the dealers. Like all projects, there will always be issues. The key is to fix them promptly and properly. Then everyone is happy. I don't fault Kawai in this case, I fault the dealer.

Anyways, congrats on purchasing the CS10. You are indeed blessed to have such a fine piano to call your own. smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
evemar

"As a foreigner here I'm a second class citizen, and quite clearly. British people are quite notorious about putting a label within 2 seconds of listening to somebody speaking . . "

Nay, lad! You`re not a second class citizen. Your statement applies primarily (you may not realize this) to the Great North - South Divide. There`s an imaginary line drawn between Bristol and The Wash which divides our Sceptred Isle. You will not be accepted in Southern circles with a Northern accent, to the degree that anyone wanting to get on in their chosen vocation will take ellekyu-shun lessons (sorry about that, I`ve had a drink) like Tony Blair (a Scotsman) and countless others have. . . as far as foreigners are concerned, give back whatever you have to take. We love it . . .!

Lass, actually ... hum... over 40, though! smile

I didn't know Tony Blair is a Scotsman! He did a good job hiding it! Quite sad, really.

Now you say it, my best British friend is from Scotland... we both had to do quite a lot of work to get to understand each other... she's quite direct, which I really like. grin

But you still see a lot of high noses and cold shoulders even between British themselves, from the same area, not even mentioning foreigners... at least in South England, cannot say anything yet about the "space up there" wink Definitely class division issue. ("We are all middle class"! hehe, yeah right)

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I agree, the CA95 is a magnificent digital piano and it's just a pity that you found a problem with yours.

However, I also think that securing a good after sales service is also important, and that comes as a responsibility of the maker. There should be far more recognised techs everywhere to deal with any issue. I wouldn't blame the dealer, they are trying their best to fix it, but unfortunately they haven't been trained properly. That's why I think that Kawai should offer training workshops precisely to create a good after sale service. Look at you, only one Kawai dealer in your country, and they cannot fix it.

I would ask them to take it back, and it's your decision either to take a refund and look for something else or to get a new CA95.

[Linked Image]
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by evamar
[quote=peterws]evemar
But you still see a lot of high noses and cold shoulders even between British themselves, from the same area, not even mentioning foreigners... at least in South England, cannot say anything yet about the "space up there" wink Definitely class division issue. ("We are all middle class"! hehe, yeah right)

This is indeed a sorry sounding experience. Unpleasant and obtuse people! I apologise on behalf of my countrymen (or should I say persons). But as Peter says, we're really not all like this. In fact,up north, from where I also originate, we're not snobs. Just sullen, awkward bastards. smile

Last edited by toddy; 02/04/14 11:06 AM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
"Magnificent" or not there DOES seem to be an issue with adequate preparation for shipment and with getting competent repair help when units succumb to whatever shipping stresses they are subjected to.
Not saying that ALL of them are subject to the same shipping/handling stresses, or that ALL of them succumb, or that ALL the repair technicians are incompetent.
a) If it is shipping damage, even if it is a jolt that dislodges something that can be put back - it shouldn't happen.
OK, so pallet forks going through the side of the crate is a level of stress that they can't reasonably "package"(verb) against, but for foreseeable shocks it should be possible to restrain parts likely to "move around a bit".
Design for transport; domestic appliances typically have bars and brackets to restrain internal movement, this is NOT hard to do and do right.
b) When a part becomes misaligned during shipment it should be possible to re-align it easily and simply WITHOUT risking further degradation by what may politely called "technician process induced damage/faults/failures".
From the (anecdotal, OK I get that) evidence it would seem that dismantling/re-assembling of case parts is i) Not intuitive b) not taught c) not well documented.

My IMPRESSION is that local music stores assign their "electronics" techs to everything that isn't 100% acoustic and don't offer much training in the "construction aspects" of the instruments. e.g. the correct sequence in which to take it apart and re-assemble it, align whatever to whichever in order to ensure that covers/lids move smoothly and close tightly, etc.
========================================================
Heck, I just bought a new fridge.
The DELIVERY driver knew how to level it and align the doors so that they close nicely.
His only JOB is to get it off the truck and in the right room in the house (-:
To be fair, he probably delivers half dozen or more every day and they are probably all very similar, so he is well practiced.

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Anyone 'ere speak Scouse ?

Last edited by R_B; 02/04/14 01:52 PM.
You don`t write Scouse . . . . grin

"[Linked Image]"
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission