2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 10 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 30 31
H
HisKidd Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Here is the link for the new virtual piano introduced this week at NAMM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LNSWORhW-o

Play On!

Keyboards are the best therapy I know of...
K
K
Sounds good. Would love to see something on the specs and the price.

Steinway B
Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Roland RD-700NX
I imagine the specs and the price will be similiar to the other pianos offered by VI Labs.
http://vilabsaudio.com/

I personally think they should offer a special introductory price for anyone who pre-orders.

Last edited by chicolom; 01/24/14 10:12 PM.

Kawai MP6 | Ravenscroft 275 | True Keys American & Italian | Galaxy Vintage D, II, & Giant | Old Black Grand | Imperfect Fazioli
T
T
Anyone noticed the muted notes feature assigned to MIDI CC 70 on the screenshot:

[Linked Image]

What's behind that?

Will we finally be able to play Dodge the Dodo and the like on a virtual piano wink !?!?

Fatar Studio 900, Galaxy Vintage D, Zimmermann Silent Piano made by C. Bechstein
http://www.gentlerain.de
The pre-order page is up, and they ARE doing a pre-order discount. I already have their American and Italian Grand, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to pre-order this too as I'm going to buy it eventually anyways.

http://vilabsaudio.com/Ravenscroft-By-VI-Labs

Check out Ruslan Sirota playing it at NAMM. Sounds great!

Last edited by chicolom; 02/01/14 03:52 AM.

Kawai MP6 | Ravenscroft 275 | True Keys American & Italian | Galaxy Vintage D, II, & Giant | Old Black Grand | Imperfect Fazioli
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Goodness me, this chap can play!

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Indeed!

And what a great way to grab demos for your product (having some pros at NAMM play it for you).

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Nice style mix, I want to play like him.
Who can teach me this? laugh

Brief from wiki:
By the age of 16, he was the "wunderkind" keyboardist for the then-popular Israeli jazz fusion band, "Confusion". With Confusion, he toured Israel and made several appearances at the Red Sea Jazz Festival.[3]
At 18, Ruslan auditioned for the Berklee College of Music, where he received full tuition scholarship, and moved to Boston in January 2000. During his studies at Berklee, Ruslan displayed growing interest in R&B, funk and soul music, playing with local artists and eventually becoming the resident keyboardist in a club called "Wally's Jazz Café".[3] Circa 2004, Ruslan joined the Stanley Clarke band[4][5] and moved to Los Angeles, thus marking the beginning of his professional career.[6][7][8]
Since then, Ruslan has been touring, performing and recording with major artists (in addition to Clarke), such as Seal, Josh Groban, Ne-Yo, Chick Corea, Eric Benét, Marcus Miller, Dennis Chambers, Rachelle Ferrell, Diane Warren, Los Angeles Philharmonic and countless others. Ruslan released his self-titled debut album, featuring Clarke, Corea and George Duke as special guests, on October 24, 2011.

Last edited by kapelli; 02/01/14 06:47 AM.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Sounds great overall, but the middle registers sound a bit bright & harsh to me. I like bright, but a "silvery" bright - not a harsh bright. But, this problem goes away when I listen on cheapie headpones. What a fantastic demo though.

Just as an aside, it seems to me that real grand pianos have a rather slow release in the very low notes, making that "twang" sound as the dampers come to rest on the strings, and I hate that sound - I like crisp releases. I like the fact that this can be dialled out on emulated pianos. (I haven't noticed the twang in this demo)

Greg.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kawai James

No question.

He might need a little help with his hair, though.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
T
T
Great playing by Ruslan Sirota indeed! The two recordings (Yesterday and "Nearness of You") on VI Labs' website also give a nice impression on the sound with fewer notes per minute smile

However, still no indications regarding the new features "muted notes" and "silent strike"...

M
M
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by Kawai James

No question.

He might need a little help with his hair, though.

Agreed - he's no Franz Liszt!

Sounds great! Will Kawai be working on a velocity curve for VI Labs?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
H
HisKidd Offline OP
OP Offline
H
As the OP for this thread, I posted because I am interested in purchasing the Ravenscroft software. Before doing that though, I would love to hear from somone in the forums who has actually purchased the product, and can give us an honest evaluation. I realize that this may require some time and patience, and I am willing to wait for that evaluation. I noticed in the demo the VST was paired with the VPC1. I would be interested in hearing from users how it performs when paired with keyboards other than the VPC1. The pre-release promotion was well done, and the screen shots look amazing. I'm waiting for one of you to tell me, "I've played, I like it, here's why; or I've played it and here are the issues I have." Thanks in advance…
H.K.

Originally Posted by Thomas B

However, still no indications regarding the new features "muted notes" and "silent strike"...

They're working on it:
"The Ravenscroft also added new features such as Silent Strikes and Muted Notes. We’ll demo these features in an upcoming video."

Last edited by chicolom; 02/01/14 05:24 PM.

Originally Posted by HisKidd
As the OP for this thread, I posted because I am interested in purchasing the Ravenscroft software. Before doing that though, I would love to hear from somone in the forums who has actually purchased the product, and can give us an honest evaluation. I realize that this may require some time and patience, and I am willing to wait for that evaluation. I noticed in the demo the VST was paired with the VPC1. I would be interested in hearing from users how it performs when paired with keyboards other than the VPC1. The pre-release promotion was well done, and the screen shots look amazing. I'm waiting for one of you to tell me, "I've played, I like it, here's why; or I've played it and here are the issues I have." Thanks in advance…
H.K.

The product hasn't been released yet, so you'll have to wait until around February 14th for impressions.

H
HisKidd Offline OP
OP Offline
H

The product hasn't been released yet, so you'll have to wait until around February 14th for impressions.

Chicolm, because I have been following the release of Ravenscroft religiously… I wrote this line in my prior post: "I realize this may take some time and patience, and I am willing to wait for that evaluation."

Hearing a demo by VI labs may be different from someone who has "hands on" experience with the new VST. I'll wait patiently to hear the forum evaluations, but do wish to encourage anyone who buys and tries to let us know what you think!

Cheers!

C
C
Wow, very impressive playing! I'll also be curious to opinions on this software, and how it compares to Pianoteq and Galaxy.

Yamaha P105, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II Am Concert D, Sennheiser HD650.

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chrisl
Wow, very impressive playing! I'll also be curious to opinions on this software, and how it compares to Pianoteq and Galaxy.

... and Ivory II.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
C
C
Originally Posted by AZ_Astro
Originally Posted by Chrisl

... and Ivory II.

I'll throw that one in too. This is kind of like buying a piano by shopping on how it sounds to you and an emotional connection.

Yamaha P105, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II Am Concert D, Sennheiser HD650.

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Will Kawai be working on a velocity curve for VI Labs?

I gather that we are in talks with a number of different software piano developers to prepare touch curves for new and existing packages. However, I'm afraid I cannot provide any concrete details at this moment.

I expect we will make any such announcement via the kawaivpc.com website and VPC facebook page (which is a great source for other VPC news by the way wink [/plug]) in due course.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 30 31

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission