2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Take the first one for example: I don't find one ounce of humor in that one.

The humor is there to my ears. I hear it especially in the busy variations towards the end, first as 16th notes, then as triplets and 32nd notes. As if Beethoven is asking with a grin: How much can I push this respectable little theme?

I hear very little humor in #4 and #6 of this set. For me #7 is the funniest.

-J

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
First you have to define what "humor" is. There's quite a range of human emotions attached to humor.

O.K.... Let's go to Webster's~~

Sense 3a: "that quality which appeals to a sense of the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous."

I think Beethoven hits on the sense of the "absurdly incongruous" in Op. 33.

There might be moments of fleeting humor in the Op. 33, but my take on that set is that it's a big mixed bag of emotions. Take the first one for example: I don't find one ounce of humor in that one.

I find several ounces of humor in it; not only what Beet/Jason said, but more! Keep in mind hreichgott's post about light and dark, above, and my re-statement of it regarding the "straight man" and the "funny man" in a comic duo. Mixed bag? Perhaps. Bas-relief? I think so.

And, Jason, I know what you mean about 4 & 6, but I think, given the pattern of the opus, the humor *must* be in there, somewhere! crazy A case can be more easily made for 6 than 4, I think, especially in another instance of a "build up to nowhere" (ala No. 1) in the first measures of the development group of No. 6.

Dynamics Bas-relief question: are the dyanmics notated in 4 or 6 any more overdone and incongruous than in other Beethoven piano works?

Thanks for your thoughts!
--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
Originally Posted by beet31425
I'm thinking of the first movement of op.31/1 ("why won't the hands play together?"), the first movement of op.31/3, the first and last movements of op.79, the last movement of op.78. The list goes on and on.

Don't forget the hilarious 2nd movement from op.31/1 as well, and I also find the Scherzos of 31/3, 110, and (in spots) 106 to be pretty funny.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I think humour in Beethoven is incredibly sophisticated. Apart from the odd dramatic crude joke, the humour is derived from musical structures/intentions/imperatives/playings about etc - that is purely from the world of Music and not so much about extraneous things like emotions. The last movement of one of the Rasumovsky Quartets is simply one huge "tonality joke".

Vasa inania multum strepunt.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by drumour
I think humour in Beethoven is incredibly sophisticated. Apart from the odd dramatic crude joke, the humour is derived from musical structures/intentions/imperatives/playings about etc - that is purely from the world of Music and not so much about extraneous things like emotions. The last movement of one of the Rasumovsky Quartets is simply one huge "tonality joke".

Well stated, drumour!

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
V
V
Originally Posted by ScriabinAddict
I'm thinking of the first movement of op.31/1 ("why won't the hands play together?"), the first movement of op.31/3, the first and last movements of op.79, the last movement of op.78. The list goes on and on.

Don't forget the hilarious 2nd movement from op.31/1 as well, and I also find the Scherzos of 31/3, 110, and (in spots) 106 to be pretty funny.

How is the second movement of 31/1 hilarious?

Working on

Chopin: op. 25 no. 11
Haydn: Sonata in in Eb Hob XVI/52
Schumann: Piano concerto 1st movement
Rachmaninoff: op. 39 no. 8

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Verbum mirabilis
Originally Posted by ScriabinAddict

How is the second movement of 31/1 hilarious?

I don't know why ScriabinAddict thinks so, but to me, the movement can be seen and played as a wildly exaggerated parody of an earlier style, and it can be very funny if taken in that way. But it can also be taken as a sort of fond, if a bit over-the-top, tribute to that same style, and then it isn't so funny. I don't know of any reason to choose one interpretation over the other - either way works.

Speaking of Beethovenian hilarity - one of the funniest classical music performances I have ever heard in my life was when my college teacher played op. 31, no. 3. He was doing all kinds of sly and amusing things in the first two movements that had us smiling, but he eventually got the audience to laugh out loud in the last movement - we just couldn't help it. The amazing thing was that it was all stuff he found in the music that did it, and it was actually pretty subtle - he wasn't going all Lang Lang on us or anything.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by wr
He was doing all kinds of sly and amusing things in the first two movements that had us smiling, but he eventually got the audience to laugh out loud in the last movement - we just couldn't help it.

That is inspiration to me

Poetry is rhythm
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by phantomFive
Originally Posted by wr
He was doing all kinds of sly and amusing things in the first two movements that had us smiling, but he eventually got the audience to laugh out loud in the last movement - we just couldn't help it.

Wonderful!

I have to say that performance changed my concept of what was possible (not to mention permissible) in Beethoven. It happened over 40 years ago and I still can vividly remember certain details.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by phantomFive
Originally Posted by wr

Me, too, wr! But it makes me reluctant to post any of the Bagatelles I've been working on! I'd hate to bomb! blush

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Take the first one for example: I don't find one ounce of humor in that one.

The humor is there to my ears. I hear it especially in the busy variations towards the end, first as 16th notes, then as triplets and 32nd notes. As if Beethoven is asking with a grin: How much can I push this respectable little theme?

I hear very little humor in #4 and #6 of this set. For me #7 is the funniest.

-J

Agreement on all points.

If a funnier piece than #7 has ever been composed by anyone, I've yet to hear it.

Is it possible that #7 represents the first glimmering of an idea that ultimately became the Waldstein sonata? If so, that would make it funny on a whole different level.

Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
Humor in Beethoven Op. 33? Or, humor in Beethoven in general? I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Yes, yes! Humor in much of op.33, and humor in *a lot* of Beethoven in general!

Curiously, there is relatively little humor in the last sonatas; the only example that comes to mind out of the last five is the second movement of op.110. While in the late string quartets, much humor abounds in the scherzos...

-Jason

What about op. 101, last movement, beginning of the coda? Beethoven makes a feint as if to threaten the listener with a reprise of the fugue, then backs off, mercifully, politely, sedately.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ferdinand
What about op. 101, last movement, beginning of the coda? Beethoven makes a feint as if to threaten the listener with a reprise of the fugue, then backs off, mercifully, politely, sedately.

Excellent point. And the whole coda of that movement contains a lot of humor, especially on the last page; I'd forgotten about that.

Still, not much in op.106 - op.111. Although here's an interesting point: While there's absolutely nothing funny in the last movement of op.110, there is a lot funny in the bagatelle op.119/3, which is quite similar in many ways. As if Beethoven gives us the humorous and non-humorous versions of the same idea.

-J

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission