Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
59 registered members (Artur Gajewski, Animisha, bambooninja, Alex C, Charles Cohen, A Guy, 90125, 16 invisible), 952 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Why don't Charles Walter grand pianos sell? [Re: Almaviva] #2219399
01/23/14 11:06 AM
01/23/14 11:06 AM
MI
T
tdv Offline
tdv  Offline
T

MI
I know that this thread is a few months old, but I did not see it before. FWIW a while back I actually drove to the Charles Walter showroom to play their grands. I can only say that if I had had the money and space in my living room, I would have loved to have taken home the 175 they had in the showroom. True, it is not as bright and powerful as many brands, but in my home I am only interested in quality of sound and touch, and the 175 had both - at least according to my tastes. I liked the CW 175 better than the CW 190s or any other grand (they had a number of brands) that they had in the showroom.

P.S. There are grands that I have never played that I would like to play for comparison, particularly the Sauters. Also some grands that I have played are as good or better, but they cost a heck of a lot more.

1978 Charles Walter piano
1915 5"1' Weber
Seeking truth in all areas of life
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Why don't Charles Walter grand pianos sell? [Re: Almaviva] #2219442
01/23/14 12:22 PM
01/23/14 12:22 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Norbert  Offline

Surrey, B.C.
There are grands that I have never played that I would like to play for comparison, particularly the Sauters. Also some grands that I have played are as good or better, but they cost a heck of a lot more.

Sauters will keep you speechless, this certainly is a piano in its own class. [tier 1]

Others, like Estonia are also very much worth trying out.
In fact, their 5'6 studio is a particularly good instrument.

Norbert

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Re: Why don't Charles Walter grand pianos sell? [Re: Norbert] #2219480
01/23/14 01:27 PM
01/23/14 01:27 PM
K
Karl Watson Offline
500 Post Club Member
Karl Watson  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Norbert:

You just said the magic word when mentioning the smallest Estonia. In the near term, I will enter retirement and will have to purchase a small grand. This is not my idea of paradise but it's all our prospective retirement digs will allow.

I have the smaller Chas. Walter as well as the smallest Estonia at the head of a very short list. I might consider a rebuild of a vintage American/Canadian piano. One thinks of a small Mason or possibly Baldwin or Heintzman. I'd love to find an M or an S but I've quite literally NEVER played a Steinway of those sizes that I liked. Of course, statistically speaking, they MUST exist.

Tried to PM you on this but you've reached your limit there.

Would you care to "weigh in" on this matter ? One values your wisdom and candor highly.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

Re: Why don't Charles Walter grand pianos sell? [Re: Almaviva] #2219788
01/24/14 12:16 AM
01/24/14 12:16 AM
Toronto
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
AJF  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

Toronto
I don't understand how 5'6 vs say, 6'0 can be a deciding factor based on room space. 6 inches is a deal breaker? I get 9'0 vs 6'0 but you can seriously tell me you have a space chosen that CAN accommodate 5'6 but not 6'0. Maybe I'm wrong but I just can't picture it.
I can tell you that the difference in *playability* between a 5'6 and a 6'0 is pretty huge. The sound, touch and dynamic range are all markedly better on a larger piano. I really think that pianos measuring 5'6 and below are intended for the furniture buying crowd, not pianists (save maybe the best designed tier 1 models like Steingraeber for instance).
Just my opinion of course.

Last edited by AJF; 01/24/14 12:18 AM.

Pianist, Composer
Disclaimer: Shigeru Kawai Artist
Re: Why don't Charles Walter grand pianos sell? [Re: AJF] #2219829
01/24/14 02:15 AM
01/24/14 02:15 AM
Kuwait
PhilipInChina Online content
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

Kuwait
At what stages does the extra length matter? I don't doubt a 9' is better than a 5' but what about a 7' as opposed to a 6'6"?

Originally Posted by AJF
I don't understand how 5'6 vs say, 6'0 can be a deciding factor based on room space. 6 inches is a deal breaker? I get 9'0 vs 6'0 but you can seriously tell me you have a space chosen that CAN accommodate 5'6 but not 6'0. Maybe I'm wrong but I just can't picture it.
I can tell you that the difference in *playability* between a 5'6 and a 6'0 is pretty huge. The sound, touch and dynamic range are all markedly better on a larger piano. I really think that pianos measuring 5'6 and below are intended for the furniture buying crowd, not pianists (save maybe the best designed tier 1 models like Steingraeber for instance).

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Re: Why don't Charles Walter grand pianos sell? [Re: Almaviva] #2219907
01/24/14 08:22 AM
01/24/14 08:22 AM
San Jose, CA
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Jeff Clef  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

San Jose, CA
"...I don't understand how 5'6 vs say, 6'0 can be a deciding factor based on room space. 6 inches is a deal breaker? I get 9'0 vs 6'0 but you can seriously tell me you have a space chosen that CAN accommodate 5'6 but not 6'0. Maybe I'm wrong but I just can't picture it..."

I didn't know it when I bought my piano, but if it were another six inches long, the sofa would have to go--- and it's a short little 'love seat;' the big sofa already went.

In a perfect world, I might have knocked out a wall, gaining not only room for a longer piano, but also room to accommodate a better layout for recording--- mainly a matter of the placement of speakers. But in our highly imperfect world, the Association would never stand for such a thing.

Anyway, inches do matter, and real estate developers know it down to the tiniest fraction.

Clef

Re: Why don't Charles Walter grand pianos sell? [Re: Jeff Clef] #2219933
01/24/14 09:11 AM
01/24/14 09:11 AM
K
Karl Watson Offline
500 Post Club Member
Karl Watson  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Dear Friends:

Very interesting, these last comments. I fully sympathise with AJFs sentiments regarding the difference between pianos of 6 & 56. My experience confirms that this extra bit is crucial in pianos of this size. For many years Ive played a piano of 64 which provided everything and more that one could possibly want or need in a home instrument.

But, most unfortunately, Ive been forced to confront the realities so well explained in Jeff Clefs last. Decorators most certainly DO count every miserable inch and it is precisely this count and amount that is forcing my search into such an uncomfortable straight-jacket.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

Re: Why don't Charles Walter grand pianos sell? [Re: PhilipInChina] #2219983
01/24/14 10:46 AM
01/24/14 10:46 AM
Urbandale, Iowa
S
Steve Chandler Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Steve Chandler  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

Urbandale, Iowa
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
At what stages does the extra length matter? I don't doubt a 9' is better than a 5' but what about a 7' as opposed to a 6'6"?

Originally Posted by AJF

Phillip you ask a great question. I remember trying various Kawai grands 5 or 6 years ago. The GE30 5'5" still had a bit of tubbiness in the bass. That's the inharmonicity caused by thicker windings on shorter bass strings. Interestingly, none of the many RX2s had any of it and they're just 5 inches longer. I've played the Estonia 168 and it doesn't have the tubbiness associated with shorter strings but it also doesn't have the dynamic range of the 190. Having more recently played the Estonia 210 and 225 they have the bigger sound and dynamic range of a 7' piano. The most important aspect of the increased dynamic range is the ability to play quietly, something most longer pianos will provide due to longer keys and better leverage.

To review, it's really about a continuum of sound. As the length of a piano approaches 6' they're able to design out the inharmonicity and restricted dynamic range of shorter strings. As one approaches 7' the dynamic range improves at the quiet end as well as even more powerful bass. There are also compromises regarding the tenor break in shorter pianos. Play and listen and you'll hear what I'm talking about.

Re: Why don't Charles Walter grand pianos sell? [Re: Almaviva] #2220010
01/24/14 11:58 AM
01/24/14 11:58 AM
Vancouver B.C. Canada
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Rod Verhnjak  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Vancouver B.C. Canada
Sounds to me the Charles Walter 175 is a good fit for many of the issues brought up by some here. It was designed for the exact issues raised.
The Walter is very sleek, designed with a smooth tenor/bass break and has the same action with long keys as the Charles Walter 190.

This is a shot I took of a Walter 190 & 175 the thinner rim is the 175. Although the outer rim is thinner the rims for both are made from maple. Many thicker rims utilized today by other manufactures are not. The inner rim it a robust as the 190.

You see some makes today that look as wide as they are long. crazy

[Linked Image]

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

Re: Why don't Charles Walter grand pianos sell? [Re: AJF] #2220043
01/24/14 12:51 PM
01/24/14 12:51 PM
California
P
phantomFive Offline
3000 Post Club Member
phantomFive  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P

California
Originally Posted by AJF
I really think that pianos measuring 5'6 and below are intended for the furniture buying crowd, not pianists (save maybe the best designed tier 1 models like Steingraeber for instance).

Second the vote for Steingraeber here. Their small grand piano sounds really nice.

Poetry is rhythm
Re: Why don't Charles Walter grand pianos sell? [Re: phantomFive] #2220223
01/24/14 06:25 PM
01/24/14 06:25 PM
Toronto
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
AJF  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

Toronto
Originally Posted by phantomFive
Originally Posted by AJF
I really think that pianos measuring 5'6 and below are intended for the furniture buying crowd, not pianists (save maybe the best designed tier 1 models like Steingraeber for instance).

Second the vote for Steingraeber here. Their small grand piano sounds really nice.

Yeah. And they're also the same price as a small house! smile

Pianist, Composer
Disclaimer: Shigeru Kawai Artist
Re: Why don't Charles Walter grand pianos sell? [Re: Almaviva] #2220230
01/24/14 06:55 PM
01/24/14 06:55 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Norbert  Offline

Surrey, B.C.
I can tell you that the difference in *playability* between a 5'6 and a 6'0 is pretty huge. The sound, touch and dynamic range are all markedly better on a larger piano. I

This may be true for many others but in the case of Estonia our experience is decidedly different.

Other dealers don't like me saying this but their 5'6 studio often competes head on with their larger 6'2.
It certainly can become a toss.

It often depends on exact "model-by-model" comparison of existing pianos on same floor: we had several concert pianist level buyers walk out with the smaller one - not a surprise any longer..

Many liked the 5'6 'just as much' and even more liked it "much more" than some of the larger models offered by the competition.

Of course there are situations where the 6'2 Estonia is clearly superior but it depends on each case. It's not black and white.

Similar situation perhaps like Steingraeber but a whole lot less $$ [didn't want to use the c...word..]

Norbert wink

Last edited by Norbert; 01/24/14 07:04 PM.

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Comparing DP to acoustic, muffled/metallic sound etc...
by Artur Gajewski. 01/16/19 01:27 AM
Need Roland HP170 service manual/schematic
by btsui. 01/15/19 11:15 PM
Discord Online Jamming Central server looking for pianists
by Tyrone Slothrop. 01/15/19 11:02 PM
NU1X white noise?
by Eienkei. 01/15/19 10:51 PM
What keyboard should I get???
by jbear876. 01/15/19 08:42 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,592
Posts2,782,181
Members92,114
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission