2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
OP Offline
Supposedly New York and Hamburg Steinway & Sons pianos (companies owned by the same parent co.) are more or less the same...but yet I realize that in fact the pianos are different. Can anyone point out the most significant differences between the two, either currently and/or in years past? Materials used, soundboards, action, etc? Having recently acquired a 1928 Model O Hamburg Steinway (for the church) I'm interested to learn about similarities and differences. Now that New York has reintroduced the Model O (replacing the L?) which it dropped in 1923, I'm wondering also if anyone knows why this happened.
Tacoma David

David Dahl, Director of Music Ministries
Christ Episcopal Church, Tacoma, WA

do a search on the forums for "hamburg new york steinway" and you will find more information than you could ever read. that has been a favorite topic of discussion over the years.

how much the current differences will apply to your 1928 piano, though, is something that may be more difficult to answer. if this a rebuilt piano that your church purchased, it is likely you have a new action, soundboard, etc...

Bösendorfer 214(CS)-495 48311
Yamaha CLP-240
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Currently S&S seems to be making an effort to standardise the two factories production. In the past:
NY had diaphragmatic soundboard Hamburg did not.
NY had accelerated action Hamburg used an action produced by Renner.
NY had rims made of maple Hamburg had rims of beech and birch.
NY had NY produced hammers Hamburg used hammers from Renner.
Hamburg embraced high luster laquer finishes and later polyesther finishes.
Hamburg fits and finishes were/are superior.
In spite of the same or nearly the same scale designs, Hamburgs sound European and NY sound domestic.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
M
M&B Offline
M
Hamburg is used in most Concert Halls NY it is not.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
the biggest difference in the tone comes from the hammers. hamburg uses a renner designed for them, which are a hot pressed, very hard hammer. new york uses a cold pressed hammer produced at the factory in astoria. these hammers are hardened with lacquer rather than compression.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies thus far, which are very informative. I know that the piano was restored in a Los Angeles shop (but have not been able to determine exactly which one). I'm working on that. I know the piano has a new Renner action, strings, pin block, but don't know if the sound board has been replaced. Would it be exceptional to continue using the original or much more typical to replace the sound board at 80 years? I understand that the "life" can go out of them, but I wonder if there may be significant exceptions to that...that is, are there tests to make at the point of a piano's rebuilding? The piano has good color, good sustain, and certainly does not lack for power (when called upon). Thanks to all of your for your responses thus far.
David (Tacoma)

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Soundboards last indefinitely. There are many pianos with full, rich tone that are 80 years old or older with their original soundboards.

Semipro Tech
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Tacoma David
What I was told 2+ years back was that the N.Y. factory had consulted with the Hamburg factory in hoping to improve the power and sustain of the N.Y.mdls. The Steinway O and short A have always been in production in the Hamburg factory. They evidently decided to streamlinre the mdls. of both factories and discontinue the "L" in N.Y. Both the most modern (curved bass bridge /duplex scale) "O" and the "L" though different in the shape of their tail,size etc. still retain the exact same bass string scale.

Keep us informed,I'd love to know who restored this piano in 1999 in that we are also in L.A. I know everybody as for restoration and everybody knows us.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Here is a link to a thread on some of the differences.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/3578.html#000000

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by M&B:
Hamburg is used in most Concert Halls NY it is not.
Both NY and Hamburg Steinways are used in concert venues

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
pique said:
the biggest difference in the tone comes from the hammers. hamburg uses a renner designed for them, which are a hot pressed, very hard hammer. new york uses a cold pressed hammer produced at the factory in astoria. these hammers are hardened with lacquer rather than compression.

Although what you said is true, pique, I would add that there is alot more happening than just hammer differences. A technician with intimate knowledge of either hammer can get the desired tone from that hammer. There is a "Hamburg tonal model" that would persist, imho, even with another hammer.

It might take a little more work to get there, given, but these pianos perform the way they do because that is how the Hamburg staff wishes them to perform.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Excellent point, Rich.

We have never put NY hammers on a Hamburg Steinway, but we regularly put Hamburg Steinway hammers on NY Steinways. Even before voicing, the NY piano retains its character and would not be confused with a Hamburg Steinway by someone with experience on both pianos.

Design differences such as soundboard thickness, soundboard speaking shape, rib taper, number of ribs make the biggest difference. This is assuming equality of workmanship. We have observed quite a difference in workmanship between Hamburg Steinway and NY Steinway as well.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
www.pianocraft.net

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
understood, rich. i was just trying to point to the most basic tonal difference that is heard. but of course all those other factors keith mentions are components as well. and certainly it should not be construed that a ny piano with hamburg hammers is going to sound just like a hamburg piano.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
now i have a question to those of you who use hamburg hammers in ny pianos:

i've always been given to understand that hammers are selected based on the totality of the string scaling design. and perhaps most importantly, the level of tension in the strings.

my understanding is that lower tension designs require a softer, lighter hammer, and that higher tension designs demand a heavier, harder hammer.

are the hamburg and new york scale designs significantly different when it comes to string tension?

i would have thought that with the more brilliant sound of the hamburg piano, the string tension would be higher, hence they need the harder renner hammers.

if that is so, isn't the use of the hamburg hammers in the new york piano incompatible with the new york scale design?

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally posted by piqué:

i've always been given to understand that hammers are selected based on the totality of the string scaling design. and perhaps most importantly, the level of tension in the strings.

are the hamburg and new york scale designs significantly different when it comes to string tension?

i would have thought that with the more brilliant sound of the hamburg piano, the string tension would be higher, hence they need the harder renner hammers.

if that is so, isn't the use of the hamburg hammers in the new york piano incompatible with the new york scale design?
Off the top of my head, I don't think the Hamburg pianos have a higher string tension. I seem to remember the bass sections actually having a lower tension in certain models. With that being said, soundboard impedance is a major factor in determining the hammer you choose.

Also, hammer weight and shape in addition to hardness are huge factors. It is dangerous to oversimplify hammers into categories based on hardness.

OK, so the answer your question regarding Hamburg Steinway hammers being incompatible with NY Steinway pianos is.......it depends.

Certain models of NY Steinway sound terrible with Hamburg Hammers. Certain models sound wonderful. In general, the larger Steinways work well with Hamburg hammers, and the smaller ones don't sound as well with Hamburg hammers.

There are a couple exceptions.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
www.pianocraft.net

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Keith
Are you refering to strictly Hamburg Steinway hammers not being compatible with the smaller N.Y. Steinways or also including Renner Premium Blues obtainable from Renner U.S.A.? If I remember correctly the Hamburg hammers being denser,bigger and wider are not worth the so called upgrade for fit and touchweight issues on the smaller Steinways(S and M) I still think G3 Renner Premium Blues sound consistently fine on a N.Y. S or M, better than most.Hammers are such a personal,subjective thing.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
PB,

Yes, I am speaking specifically about Hamburg Steinway hammers. Quite different from the Renner blues.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
www.pianocraft.net

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by sophial:
Originally posted by M&B:
[b] Hamburg is used in most Concert Halls NY it is not.
Both NY and Hamburg Steinways are used in concert venues [/b]
And I even posted a link from NY Times showing the artist picking from the pool of Hamburg vs. NY Steinway concert grands.

I would imagine that in the US this would be mostly NY D's and probably the opposite in Europe.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

OP Offline
Dear all who have responded thus far,

The several responses regarding Hamburg hammers, Renner premium blues, etc, now have me quite intrigued to find out what was used in this 1928 Hamburg O's restoration. Also, "pianobroker" suggested taking a photo beneath the piano to be able to determine if the soundboard is original.
I will do this. Perhaps my technician, Mike Reiter, can answer some of these questions if I cannot locate the restoration firm in Los Angeles that did the work in 1999.

Thanks everyone, I'm learning more and more.
David in Tacoma

PS The tuning stability is a little less desirable than I had hoped for; however, our church fluctuates between 70 on Sunday and sometimes a low of 45 during the week, with humidity fairly constant.
Maybe we need a Damppchaser. (The walls are unfinished cement, with stone aggregate floor--its a 1969 church with architecture from the period known as "Brutalism". The acoustic is great...about 2 1/2 seconds reverberation half full of people.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Tacoma, hearing a Hamburg being played regularly might assure that I always go to church laugh That's some lucky church.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission