2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
OP Offline
R
I'm thinking about majoring in piano/keyboard studies at the University of Nevada, Reno. I'm currently 17, and I've been playing piano since I was 11. I obviously didn't start as early compared to many other pianists, but I feel my late start allowed me to really develop and underlying and undying passion for piano, since I realize that many students who start early typically "fall out" of the enjoyment of piano at age 10/11. I honestly love practicing, seeing myself improve, receiving constructive criticism from my teacher, and expressing myself through classical music (and modern music here and there). I feel UNR is a less competitive college for music, which, in theory, would allow me to learn at my own pace given my current skill. Not to mention in-state tuition!

I'm not even planning a career in music! I'm actually going to take the prerequisites for medical school in my dream to become a pediatrician also! smile I simply want to pursue a major I'd enjoy and get good grades in during my undergrad before I dive into the sciences in medical school.

That being said, I have about a month to send the school an audio recording of "a single work or 2 contrasting movements totaling no more than 8 minutes which demonstrate technical proficiency, sound and phrasing." Two pieces I'm considering are Romance S 169 by Franz Liszt (Romantic) and Clair de Lune by Claude Debussy (Impressionism), pieces I can comfortably play that clock at about 8 minutes. Romance is the less played piece, so I think it would give admissions officers a fresh sound. Clair de Lune is rather popular, so I'm hoping my interpretation will win them over.

Also, if I somehow decide to attend a different university (UCB? USC? UW?), then I'll mostly likely minor in music instead and audition for the music major my sophomore year.

What do you guys think of the repertoire? My plan? Again, in no way am I a "musical genius," I simply just want to study music beyond private lessons and self-studying.

... If anyone is interested in the school's keyboard page for more info, I've provided the link below:

http://www.unr.edu/cla/music/pages/dept/keyboard.htm

Novice Private Piano Teacher

BA Music, Biology Minor

Yamaha G3, Yamaha P-515
A
A
Ryan,

Even if you only go a couple of years into the music major program and then switch to some type of pre-med degree, I think your life will immeasurably enhanced by a couple years of very intensive musical training. You could find some amazing opportunities to use your music to reach your patients in the future, and at the very least you will be a much more rounded and complete person than if you spent 4 years in a lab.

Go for it!

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
On the repertoire question, I don't think that these two pieces, together, show a sufficient style/technical contrast to be programmed for an audition that requires contrasting styles. They are both, basically, Romantic in character with a right hand melody with an arpeggiated accompaniment. Moreover, they are both quite similar in style and mood.

If you chose to play either the Romance or Clair de Lune, your other piece should be of considerably greater stylistic contrast. You should consider a Baroque (Bach, Scarlatti, Handel) or early Classical-era piece (Haydn, Mozart, early Beethoven) or something quite modern to contrast with the other piece.

Since they don't distinguish piano repertoire from other instrumental repertoire - from what I read - you may not need two pieces :

Instrumentalists should prepare a single work or 2 contrasting movements totaling no more than 8 minutes which demonstrate technical proficiency, sound and phrasing. Candidates should also be prepared to perform major scales with common articulations. Works with piano accompaniment are encouraged.

If you do choose to play two, I do think they need to be of greater contrast than the two you have mentioned.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Undergrad preparation for medical school is normal general education with comprehensive science coursework. There will be plenty of room for music. Make sure to fill your spare time with service activities that demonstrate your ability to work well with a variety of people (and generate letters of reference!)

Originally Posted by RyanThePianist
...Also, if I somehow decide to attend a different university (UCB? USC? UW?), then I'll mostly likely minor in music instead and audition for the music major my sophomore year.

UCB--You mean Cal?!
Go Bears!

Learner
R
OP Offline
R
anrpiano: Thank you for your motivation! smile I think 4 years of music for my Bachelor's and 4 years of medical school for my Master's would make me very complete person, indeed.

BruceD: I'll definitely consider that. However, with about a month to prepare a decent piece, it would be difficult. Sadly, I know much more Romantic pieces than any other era - it's what I've been trained mostly in, and it's the era I love most. I've learned the 1st mvt to Pathetique before, but I know I won't be able to get those up to performance level again in a month; besides, it's too long anyway. I've learned Rach's Prelude in C-sharp minor before also, but this may still fall into the singing melody category.

Is it best to display one piece then? Will displaying two pieces of seemingly similar style be in my favor if both are played well?

malkin: Yes, Cal. It's a reach school for me, but it's a possibility I'll attend. Focusing on my in-state plans in the mean time.

BA Music, Biology Minor

Yamaha G3, Yamaha P-515
R
OP Offline
R
Pieces I've played before and may be able to revive in less than a month:

- Etude Op. 10 No. 3 (toughest one to revive)
- Prelude Op. 28 No. 15
- Waltz in c-sharp minor
- Waltz in d-flat major
- Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2
- Nocturne in C-sharp minor
- Prelude in C-sharp minor
- Moonlight Sonata 1st and 2nd mvts.
- Pathetique 2nd mvt.
- Marche Funebre
- Liebestraum No. 3
- Consolation No. 3
- Complex arrangement of "Time" from Inception (modern category...?)
-- Original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtDS0vRwxg

A LOT of Romantic, I know. My teacher tends to allow me to learn pieces I want.
Please help me with my dilemma!

Last edited by RyanThePianist; 01/19/14 05:51 PM.

BA Music, Biology Minor

Yamaha G3, Yamaha P-515
B
BDB Offline
B
Cal does not have a performance program. Davis might be a better fit.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Given the list you provided and the short prep time I would just play the heck out of the pieces you know best. Even if they are not the most ideal selections you can at least have offered your best.

Besides that, sounds like you have a great plan.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I haven't found on the website the closing date for auditions, although applications for scholarship are due by 1 February and applications for admission are due by 1 June. However, I'm sure that you must know and have those dates firmly and accurately marked.

As for your repertoire questions, the website does say :

If you have any questions specific to the Department of Music admissions process, don't hesitate to call the Department office at 775-784-6145, or stop by. We're open Monday through Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. You can also email our Administrative Assistant, Cynthia Prescott with all your Department of Music questions. If she doesn't immediately have the answer, she'll find the person who does.

This thread does raise a couple of questions in my mind - impertinent, perhaps, but I'll ask anyway:

- Why are you soliciting opinions about your repertoire one month before the audition recording is due?
- Have you and your teacher discussed your plans, your repertoire, the audition requirements and the appropriateness of your suggested pieces for the audition?
- How strong is the competition to get into UNR's music program?

This is certainly too late to be learning new material, so you'll have to go with what you have, but I think you should heed the above quote from the UNR website and get an official response about your repertoire questions : one piece, or two? If two, ask if your two suggested pieces are of sufficient contrast.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
R
OP Offline
R
Recordings should be sent to UNR no later than Feb. 16.

Only recently have I decided to audition for the music major at this particular school. My mind set before was minoring in music wherever I went to, which I will also be happy with also, quite honestly.

My teacher has been on break recently so no, but I will see her this weekend.

I emailed the music department recently, and the head keyboard director requested to talk to me over phone about the program and myself, and I'll definitely talk to them about my undergrad plan, med school, and the competitiveness of their music program and if it'll be right for me (for a major).

Last edited by RyanThePianist; 01/19/14 07:28 PM.

BA Music, Biology Minor

Yamaha G3, Yamaha P-515
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I vote Liszt Romance and Beethoven Moonlight 2nd movement. That's about as much contrast as you can possibly create given your repertoire, and the Beethoven has very different artistic demands from the Liszt.

Personally I think a music minor is sort of a waste of time... either just take a couple classes, or if you're going to invest more time in it like you want to, go for the major!

Double majors also exist, as long as you don't mind socializing primarily with Chopin and the biology lab instead of having time for RL parties smile

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
R
OP Offline
R
I'd like to focus on a single major for now. I don't exactly know how much time I'll need to invest into practice, ensembles, prereqs, labs, studying for MCAT, volunteer, shadowing, research, etc.

I'll consider your vote!

BA Music, Biology Minor

Yamaha G3, Yamaha P-515
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Applause to you Ryan.

You have a good concept of what you're capable of, and what you enjoy. I followed a similar trajectory as you (although I went the double major route), and got degrees in molecular biology and in music. And, in fact, now I'm at UW working on my PhD in science smile

One thing to keep in mind. You should really take most all of the standard med prereqs, which will essentially result in you having a bio major, whether you declare it or not. It sounds like you don't really care whether the results of your musical studies give you a formal degree in music, so it's nice that you have that flexibility. I would suggest reading into the requirements for the music major. In my experience, the part of the music degree that took the most amount of time (that I didn't want to do already) was the accompanying. I think at some schools, accompanying is something that music majors do to get partial scholarships, and at others it's just accepted that all majors will accompany.

So I'd suggest declaring a bio major and a music minor if the music major will require accompanying, or a dual degree if there's no accompanying requirement.

R
OP Offline
R
Bio and music major? How did you find the time to do that?! smile I contemplated the double major route for some time, but quite frankly, I don't think I'm "passionate" enough to declare myself a biology major for four years. Don't get me wrong, I love science! But I find the clinical sciences more interesting to me, and how the hard sciences pertain to medicine. Most med schools require only 1 year of Biology/Chem/Biochem, etc., and I don't mind studying a year of each, but I can't push myself to declare myself a science major (at least not yet), which is why I'm strongly considering UNR -- possible music major, good science courses, med programs, instate tuition, close to home, and I save money for medical school. You don't need to double major or major in science to get into med school, and it won't adversely affect admissions decisions. In fact, music majors stand out from the pack to med school admissions officers, and it's definitely a topic to discuss during interviews. Once I'm in college, maybe I'll reconsider a science major (I do like Chemistry though!).

I have some experience accompanying. I've been my HS orchestra accompanist for three years now, and I've accompanied its choir once for a Disneyland Festival. I've accompanied a soloist once. Also, sight-reading is my biggest weakness, so I'm not sure if this will be a huge weakness for me as a music major, or if I'll have enough time to study my accompaniment/repertoire before performances/juries on top of med prereqs. My work ethics are pretty good (3.8 GPA UW, 4.5 W in HS), and my motivation to learn will definitely help me in music. Thoughts?

Last edited by RyanThePianist; 01/19/14 10:29 PM.

BA Music, Biology Minor

Yamaha G3, Yamaha P-515
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It is well to be aware of the minimum requirements for med school admission and it is wise to plan to exceed those requirements.

Learner
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
I would also vote for the double major, but there's no reason at all you should listen to my advice for your life smile

Poetry is rhythm
R
OP Offline
R
Just for you guys, I will definitely consider a double major after I get settled into my university of choice! smile

As for the Moonlight mvt. 2 suggestion, I feel that choice doesn't demonstrate my current ability much, which is also another suggestion on UNR's website. I don't think playing a "simpler" piece for the sake of creating contrast is best.

Well, at this point, I think it'd be best to use 1) pieces that I can play best and 2) pieces that are at least seemingly contrasting... how about Waltz in C-sharp minor Op. 64 No. 2 and Clair de Lune? At least the waltz is, well... a waltz.

Thoughts?

BA Music, Biology Minor

Yamaha G3, Yamaha P-515
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
The Rachmaninoff c# minor seems like the most different piece to me. Do you think you could get it ready in time? It may be (late) romantic, but at least it's tumultous and somewhat virtuosic, which the Liszt Romance and Debussy Clair de Lune (and the Chopin Waltz) are not.

As far as double-majoring with music, it is an exercise in time management. Good organizational life skills will be learned. I suppose I need to warn you though - strong friendships and especially romantic relationships with others who don't have heavy demands on their time will be a challenge. Otherwise, it's a really wonderfully balanced life. I felt like I was able to be "working/studying" much of the time, because when I was taking a break from science, I was playing music, and vice versa. And during your off time, music friends tend to be very deep, because of your shared passion. Lots of enjoyment to be had smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MarkH
As far as double-majoring with music, it is an exercise in time management. Good organizational life skills will be learned. I suppose I need to warn you though - strong friendships and especially romantic relationships with others who don't have heavy demands on their time will be a challenge. Otherwise, it's a really wonderfully balanced life. I felt like I was able to be "working/studying" much of the time, because when I was taking a break from science, I was playing music, and vice versa. And during your off time, music friends tend to be very deep, because of your shared passion. Lots of enjoyment to be had smile

Mark H.'s description of managing a double major is not entirely unlike medical school, so it could be good preparation.

Learner
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I have no opinion on the pieces for your audition, but I do have advice about medical school and majoring. The most important thing you can do for yourself to get into med school is to maintain a high gpa of like 3.7 and above. You can major in anything as long as you take the prerequisite courses (generally a year of physics chemistry calculus o chem...maybe biochemistry ). Are you good enough at science and math for that? I would say not to sacrifice a grade in ochem for practice time at the piano since piano is not your ultimate career goal. Of course you also need an mcat score more than 31 with no section below 9... They're changing the mcat though and I'm not sure how the new test will be... I guess what I am saying is that your priority should be getting into medical school and then piano.

Last edited by boo1234; 01/20/14 12:26 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission