2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, 7 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
OP Offline
I
Hi,

I am a young guitarist and developer. I am found of the concept of musical improvisation and I think it is a pleasure more accessible than it seems. So I started to develop a game that allows anyone to discover that pleasure.

It now takes the shape of an android application called Improvider. It simply suggests the user to play a background music and improvise a solo on a keyboard of which some keys have been colored to show an easy scale to improvise (actually nearly only the pentatonic for the moment).
The realisation is not perfect yet but I need feedback to make something interesting and enjoyable.

You can get it here, or just to see some screenshots:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.improvider&hl=en

The project also has a facebook page:

www.facebook.com/Improvider

What do you think about that? Is it a good idea to try to popularize musical impro like that? If you could try the app yourself, what is your feeling about it?

Sorry for my bad english,
thanks a lot!

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Improvising isn't about scales. It's about using appropriate target tones and about phrasing. Even in a pentatonic scale, there are one or two target tones that take precedence. If you want to make a good app, focus on this.

I
OP Offline
I
Hey! Thanks for your point of view smile
As I said, the app is a first version and I would like to make something more complete musically and technically.

Even if it is not suficient, I think scales can be an entry point to improvising. Actually the main idea is to reassure the beginner with something so he will try himself.

But yes, considering target tones is probably a good idea.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Improvider,

The best thing you can do to develop your app is go out to the app stores - for Android and iOS - and see what's out there. Get a sense of who's doing what.

There are A LOT of apps that offer a lot of what you're app now offers. So the question really is what's going to distinguish what you have to offer from everything else. As in what are the approaches app developers have tried? What are the ones they haven't tried? And what can you do that contributes to what's out there? Which apps take the approach that you've decided on. Which apps go a different way?

Anything at all having to do with music can be an entry into improvisation. So the issue here isn't whether or not scales are the entry point into larger picture. In fact that has nothing to do with anything. There are at least 3 GREAT apps I can think of that use scales as the basis for improvisation.

Because the point of it is anything at all is the entry point. It's just a question of how your app plays with the entry point that YOU think is important.

.... I have a feeling you know what I'm talking about. So get to it! Do you research! See what's out there! Develop!

Hope this helps!!

I
OP Offline
I
Hi, thanks a lot for the advices.

Of course, I already tried a lot of apps, but nearly only from the google play store. I don't have any apple device, so I only tried a few apps on a friend's device. Could you give me the name of the 3 apps you are thinking of?(I have myself 2 very good android apps in mind, but can't find a third one!)

The diference of my app relies on the non-musician approach. That is to say, my app is not designed for musicians but instead, I try to make something accessible for anyone. Plus it is made just to enjoy, not to learn, nearly the way Guitar-Hero does it. You won't find the name of notes or chords in my app, it is all really simple.

Thanks again!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Improvider,

All I'm suggesting is basic research into what already exists. My comments have nothing to do with the approach of professional musician or a non-professional musician or a gaming audience or anyone.

The thing is, you're talking about putting development time into something. Do the basic research. It's your project.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission