2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Daniel, if this is how Kawai is treating you for a problem they caused, I'd demand a full refund including shipping back to them. There are other DP manufacturers in the sea.

And what ES100's are safe to buy? Is there a serial number below which people should avoid like the plague?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
dewster, Kawai America will replace the instrument under warranty.

However, their warranty covers the US only, which is why Daniel has been asked to return the instrument to a location in the US, where it can be collected and replaced.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by dewster
And what ES100's are safe to buy? Is there a serial number below which people should avoid like the plague?

Seems to me this is the critical issue now. For example, I'm seriously interested in purchasing an ES100. But no way do I do this unless I know the one I'm buying is NOT one of the "small number of early production units of the ES100 which caused the pedal to operate in the manner that you describe". And it also seems to me that if they've just discovered this, the likelihood of me getting one of the "small number" is fairly high, since my dealer has had his ES100's in stock for a while.

Bottom line: Be forthcoming, Kawai. What are the affected serial numbers?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
dewster, Kawai America will replace the instrument under warranty.

However, their warranty covers the US only, which is why Daniel has been asked to return the instrument to a location in the US, where it can be collected and replaced.

When is a warranty not a warranty? Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I submit the above as exhibit A.

I volunteer to fly down to Venezuela and fix this ES100 if Kawai sends the repair board and Daniel spends the $500 postage on my round-trip air fare! ;-)

What jury? "Exhibit A" of what?
(Or is this just another rant?)

OP Offline
I will ask them if there is a way to know if a unit is the fix one or the old one with the problem.

Also I will try to push to give me a measurement of latency. For now they say "is fix on new units", but I want proves and data about what "fix" means. In other words: how much latency Kawai consider "normal" or acceptable? I already ask but they didn't give me any data.

I am still thinking what are i am going to do, but like dewster say, right now i feel to change brand.

I maybe could afford get the ES100 in the US, but not sure if i can afford also the shipping cost back to kawai. I will ask them if i can get a refund that way, they paying shipping.

If that works, now I will be in the old-dilemma of "what DP to buy?". Sad because I was happy with ES100. Other models don't really look that great, at that price. Casio with noisy keys, yamaha with too light keys, roland with keys that feel very unrealistic, and Korg... I don't really know anything about korg models. I can't find people with korg models at that price. My budge was 600$ but I push to 800$ for the ES100, so don't recommend the Yamaha P-155.

I hear might be a new model Yamaha P-255. I suppose an updated version of the P-155. If price is lower, might be a winner. Not sure when will be release, though.

Thanks for the support guys. I will post any news when I figure out what I am going to do.

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

My project: Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$

Owner of Kawai ES100
OP Offline
Now when using switch pedal, sometimes i press and is not sustain. I though was the pedal, but actually is the ES100. This happens when press and release and press again quickly.

I am force to use the F-10H pedal with the latency.

This ES100 is a mess.

No doubt is going back, but not sure when or how, nor know if get another brand.

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

Owner of Kawai ES100
Originally Posted by Daniel Richter
No doubt is going back, but not sure when or how...

Daniel, it is my understanding that Kawai America have offered to collect your ES100 and pay for it to be sent back to the US (from where it was purchased). This gesture goes beyond the obligations of the warranty, and in my opinion is quite a generous offer.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
OP Offline
Yes, is a great offer. I never complaint on kawai support. From beginning I always say Kawai was very good on that aspect.

Problem remains that I have to pay to send it back here and is like 500$. Or I can pay send to US and kawai pay send to venezuela. Ether way I would have to pay the 500$. I am not asking kawai pay that too, but still is a problem for me.

Not sure yet what I am going to do. Maybe I can travel to US with the DP and Kawai can collect the ES100 from US. A lot cheaper for them and me. That will still be problematic, but is my plan A, for now.

I send email to them a few days ago. Would have to wait for reply.

Owner of Kawai ES100
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Kawai James -

Can you make the case to Kawai (use your influence!) that they need to tell the public what serial numbers are affected re the pedal issue?

Until I can be assured that the ES100 I buy will not have the problem, I don't see how I can make the purchase. If Kawai's answer is "You're covered under warranty if there's a problem", that's not satisfactory considering this is a KNOWN issue that Kawai says affected a "small number" of units and has been corrected in current production. If that's so, tell the consumer the relevant serial number info so he can be confident in the ES100 he's buying.

Thanks for all you bring to this board!

B
B
My mate who literally just bought one probably won't be affected by this, but I'm sure he'd feel more confident knowing which serial numbers it affects too.

Kawai CN24 & Roland VR700.
Straight up jackin'! ;0)
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Now when using switch pedal, sometimes i press and is not sustain. I though was the pedal, but actually is the ES100. This happens when press and release and press again quickly.

I'm amazed at how lame this ES100 is, and how poorly Kawai is handling this whole situation. Known bad products should be repaired / replaced at no expense to their unfortunate owners, regardless of where they live or where they bought it.

Compare Kawai to Apple ... and then Kawai looks pretty good.

B
B
Originally Posted by dewster

I'm amazed at how lame this ES100 is, and how poorly Kawai is handling this whole situation. Known bad products should be repaired / replaced at no expense to their unfortunate owners, regardless of where they live or where they bought it.

Am I missing something or wat makes it lame apart from a SINGLE fault in older models?? Seems a bit of an over-reaction.

Straight up jackin'! ;0)
True. Also: I'm reading here lots technobabble about a few msecs of pedal latency, which would seem to be below the threshold of perception. I'm not sure the problem is even significant. Is it really a problem?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by blackspaven
Am I missing something or wat makes it lame apart from a SINGLE fault in older models?? Seems a bit of an over-reaction.

To clarify: I'm amazed at how lame Daniel's ES100 is, not necessarily ES100's in general.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
True. Also: I'm reading here lots technobabble about a few msecs of pedal latency, which would seem to be below the threshold of perception. I'm not sure the problem is even significant. Is it really a problem?

Is very notable, sorry to say. In real life make a lot of difference. That is why i start investigating and testing.

I know what I am doing. I play piano for many years and I am telling the truth. Is way pass the line of perception.

Owner of Kawai ES100
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If there are known to be faulty units out there, what kind of company doesn't issue a recall, but waits to see if people notice and fixes it under warranty?

Unless they do a recall, faulty ES100s will be showing up on the second-hand market for years to come, and Kawai's reputation for quality will nose-dive.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
B
B
Originally Posted by lolatu
If there are known to be faulty units out there, what kind of company doesn't issue a recall, but waits to see if people notice and fixes it under warranty?

Try... most car companies, for a start. As an example, the VAG group have an issue with 2.0 TFSI engines in that the timing chain tensioner MAY stop doing it's job which leads to the chain jumping and usually needing a replacement engine! They know about it, but it happens quite infrequently so there's no recall as it's in such small numbers. It gets dealt with on an individual basis cos it's much, much cheaper.

Possibly what will happen here IF people complain. Other's might not be as bothered by it or not notice it. By what has been said on here, it's so few models that MAY have this fault, that it's likely to make zero impact on the brand name down the line as it'll be a fraction of a percent that have it. Daniel is the only person on here to have mentioned it, it's hardly cost effective for them, let alone any company, to track down and write to every ES100 owner: even a press release will likely go un-noticed by most so there's not much point.

Straight up jackin'! ;0)
B
B
Got an email this morning from Kawai Europe who have said that as far as they know none of the UK sold models are the 'early' examples with this issue.

So if you're buying in the UK at least you can buy with confidence and have no worries if you've already got one.

Straight up jackin'! ;0)
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission