2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 28 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 27 28
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
"Accuracy improves slowly but I’m still short of even 95%."

With respect - this is a rag! Not only are wrong notes to be accommodated cheerfully, but - you piano MUST be out of tune . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by peterws
With respect - this is a rag! Not only are wrong notes to be accommodated cheerfully, but - you piano MUST be out of tune . . .

heheh, I've decided to play it on our sad, neglected spinet AP so the tuning should be suitably sub-par.

For your DP you could get hold of this:-

I can easily knock mine out of tune. Sounds better then, less clinical. So the setting I have specially for rags is now what I use across the board. . . crazy isn`t it? grin

"[Linked Image]"

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws

lol! I was actually thinking of recording this on the digital, so I could use some weird piano samples smile

My problem right now is that I can't play the third section at the same brisk tempo as the other two. And I wonder if I will be able to play it all from start to end without horrible mistakes (a few small ones are okay, but not too many!). Well there's still time.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Here's a suggestion - I haven't had time to really practice this to my satisfaction, either - how about playing the sections you can play at a brisk tempo at a brisk tempo, and playing the others at whatever tempo you can play them? This is for fun, no? I simplify where I have to, why not play slower where you have to?

A thought -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
The trick is - Brazen it out! Crash through the mistakes and come out o` the other side still fighting . . . .! Pugilistics on the Piano; What fun! Really looking forward to this recital . . grin

"[Linked Image]"

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Thank you Cathy... and Peter laugh

This will be fun, indeed!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur
Here's a suggestion - I haven't had time to really practice this to my satisfaction, either - how about playing the sections you can play at a brisk tempo at a brisk tempo, and playing the others at whatever tempo you can play them? This is for fun, no? I simplify where I have to, why not play slower where you have to?

A thought -

Cathy

I am amused by all the recent comments. Because I am having the same problems! The Joplin pieces are very challenging!

I'm already doing "the simplified version" of The Easy Money and have reduced that to just AABBA instead of AABBA-X-CCDD.

I am playing part A with two hands at around 50% speed with a fair number of errors. And B is a two handed struggle - still putting it together.

If B doesn't start coming around soon, my simplified version might turn out to be:

A-A- ... A.

Not quite what I had hoped...

(sigh).

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 01/11/14 02:34 PM.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I'm starting to hate the "Fig Leaf", which means I have reached that critical point in the learning curve where it seems I will never get over the hump. But don't worry, experience shows that things will start to turn around soon.

Its the last two sections that are the problem - I have to play them at an agonizingly slow pace hands together. While I am doing that I am forgetting the first two sections. Hopefully the tempo will pick up soon and I'll recover my spirits!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
W
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Sam S
I'm starting to hate the "Fig Leaf", which means I have reached that critical point in the learning curve where it seems I will never get over the hump.

FWIW, I can't get "Rose Leaf" to settle down either!

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dire tonic
Derulux, many thanks again for your recent feedback. Definitely some progress. Probably a hang-over from the period before seeking advice, I went on to have a quite bad spasm of pain for a day or so but got stuck back in pretty quickly with the certain knowledge that continued tension would put rags permanently out of reach. I reflected further on the apparently fixed 4 and 5 you’d spotted. Although unable to sense any rigidity at the time of recording I set about trying to find a deeper level of un-tense, trying to ‘let go’ of the hand in the pitifully short break between the boom and the chuck. I think I had some measure of success by adopting an attitude of wanton neglect towards the fourth finger – aided by the fact that fourthy isn’t even playing any notes so WTF! It seems to have done the trick insofar as that particular pain hasn’t returned. Accuracy improves slowly but I’m still short of even 95%.

I’d been watching Tom for some flips and cribbed a couple but not at the beginning of that phrase – it was probably just a tic in the playing. I’d still like to be able to throw out some of those LH octave 16s he does but, as you say, it’s a technique that would require a visible demo, I think. The few times I’ve tried it I risk more wrist pain.

Anytime! I'm glad to hear you've made some progress with it! smile

Tension is a nasty beast. Even in my own playing, it creeps in and infests my hands. Over the years, I've been able to eliminate nearly all of it, but there is one particularly nasty bit that lingers and causes uneven playing and sometimes additional notes. I decided after the Chopin Mazurka recital to go all the way back to the beginning and eliminate it, but since I don't have much time at the keys, it will probably take me a few months to feel much of a difference. Never playing wrong in the first place is much easier than correcting decades of mistakes!

For the octave 16ths, if you want to try it, do it with a metronome. I think you'll find Tom is playing it much slower than you think you need to. (I tend to do this all the time with something I "think" is supposed to be very fast.) But if there's still an issue, then I'd say to hold off. Wish we could sit down at the keys and talk octaves.. would be much easier to show than type.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
smile for both Dipsy and Valencia. Sorry to hear of the time constraints, and Valencia's mother's illness, for both of you. Hope the move goes well, and your mother's illness abates.

I've played Bethena before, and I'll re-record for this recital unless someone else wants it. I think someone else was interested, but it was taken when they wanted to claim it, so I'll happily let them have it if they speak up!

It should be fun, though.

Cathy

Thanks so much regarding the Bethena, Cathy, and for your thoughts about my mum. smile Looking forward to listening to the recital!

A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
Hey!
Just checking in.. I've not been consistent in posting lately. Started a new job a while back, while still working one day week at my old job, so any free time goes to piano!

First- happy birthday Cathy!!

Too bad that Dipsey and Valencia have to drop out.. I'll miss you both! I hope your mother feels like herself soon, Valencia, and don't forget to take care of you!

Solace is slowly kicking in.. It looks like I will have it in some shape or form for the recital. At first I thought I'd made some horrible mistake, but it's starting to click. I'm not as far along as I'd hoped, but it's starting to come together faster now.
Strangely enough, I'm finding that this has helped me with tension. For the last 6 months or so, I've noticed tension building more and more in my right arm and haven't been able to pinpoint it. The big chords have really made me realize that I am alway straining to hold a certain shape in my hand, even when it's not necessary. It looked natural, so my teacher couldn't really pinpoint it either. Slow practice with the big chords really helped me understand this. Can't for the life for me figure out why I was doing it in the first place.

Anyway - I'm relaxing more when I play, which has helped me in my playing in general. So even if I bomb this I've already gotten more out of it than I thought! Thanks for making this recital, Whizbang!

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks, Aimee O. I still have 40 minutes to go by my time laugh

This is either going to be the most fun recital of all time, or the funniest. Or both. I'll be thru a spate of gigs after this Sunday and then maybe I can move Orig. Rags to first priority. I can play all the parts, and I have some interpretations worked out, but I don't have it as a whole, or at the same tempo for all of it.

Maybe I'll pretend it's the wild west and I'm trying to play while the rest of the saloon is concentrating on shooting each other and not the piano player. smile

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Happy birthday Cathy! It should be right now.

Yesterday I recorded myself playing the first two sections. I found that I start section A steady and finish it rushing as heck, so that section B becomes way too fast for me to keep up. Plus I kept messing up an RH arpeggio that I used to do right. My pinky was sticking up and not collaborating at all. I'm afraid the half hour I spent squeezing pliers while working on my bike didn't help. Will try again in a couple of days, and with a metronome. I like it when I let myself go, but these tempo changes are just ugly. How useful it is to record oneself, but how strangely stressful for me!

Thanks, Aimee O. I still have 40 minutes to go by my time laugh

This is either going to be the most fun recital of all time, or the funniest. Or both. I'll be thru a spate of gigs after this Sunday and then maybe I can move Orig. Rags to first priority. I can play all the parts, and I have some interpretations worked out, but I don't have it as a whole, or at the same tempo for all of it.

Maybe I'll pretend it's the wild west and I'm trying to play while the rest of the saloon is concentrating on shooting each other and not the piano player. smile

Cathy

The piano player is usually the first to get shot . . .

"[Linked Image]"
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks, sinophilia!

Hm, peterws. Guess I'd have to hide behind the piano.

Cathy

Cathy
W
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W
Sam's post reminded me: TWO months till the Joplin recital. March 15.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
I don't know why but I thought we only had one month left before the deadline! Nice smile

Today I managed to play sections AA+B all in a row, with the metronome on to force myself not to rush the parts I know better. To finish my arrangement I only need to add DD, but I might get out on a limb and try to play AA BB A DD, so it resembles the original version a bit more. I will to have to change the ending of some measures.

I tell you all now, this won't be fast. I was all proud that I had gotten it up to 140 bpm, when I realised that the original score is 2/4 and mine is 4/4, so I'm actually playing it at 70 bpm! blush This will be one relaxing rag...

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Whizbang
Sam's post reminded me: TWO months till the Joplin recital. March 15.

Now this is a deadline to panic over. Somehow I think playing a rag at eighth note = 50 doesn't make it sound like a rag...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Page 20 of 28 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 27 28

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission