2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
I have started to use Galileo Organ on my iPad and would like to drive it with a USB Host connected Midi keyboard on my iMac.

(I have successfully attached the Keyboard directly to the iPad (through a hub for power) and it works great).

I am doing this as I would like to use Ivory on my Mac and have the option of Galileo (organ app) and/or Magellan (synth app) using the iPad as a software synth platform in addition to the iMac.

I setup a network midi connection using Audi Midi Setup and then Midi Network Setup creating a session between the iMac and the Ipad and specifically routing the USB keyboard (testing with a M-Audio Keystation). The iPad responds to keypresses on the Keystation, but there is definitely a small delay or latency between keypress and sounds on the ipad. Perhaps 50-200ms by ear; it varies a bit.

The issue is the same with both the Magellan app, the Galileo app and even GarageBand app. The iPad is a brand new Air, I have tried a few imacs from old to new all with the same result.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Regards
db

Last edited by dbbarron; 01/12/14 07:28 PM.
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
I don't understand all the ins and outs of your setup, but I will say that latency on the iPad is generally acceptable, but not the best; if you are routing to the Mac on the way to the iPad, you are adding cumulative latency; and if you are making any of your MIDI connections wirelessly, you are adding another source of latency.

For organ, maybe you could run VB3 and Ivory on your iMac simultaneously?

Another possibility, assuming you want two controllers regardless, would be to wire your weighted action to your Mac for Ivory, and your un/semi-weighted action directly to the iPad for organ/synth.

D
OP Offline
D
I found some websites discussing this and they blamed router delay within the local wifi network.
In order to remedy this, I setup an ad-hoc network connection between the imac and the iPad and the delays disappeared.

Problem solved!

db

C
C
@dbbarron: Are you using a Roland keyboard with the wireless lan adapter? If so, could you clarify exactly your set up? I didn't quite understand your OP.
Are you going wireless to the iPad ad-hoc, then from the iPad to the Mac??? How did you do it?

Cheers,
Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Cmin
@dbbarron: Are you using a Roland keyboard with the wireless lan adapter? If so, could you clarify exactly your set up? I didn't quite understand your OP.
Are you going wireless to the iPad ad-hoc, then from the iPad to the Mac??? How did you do it?

M-Audio Keystation 49 attached to iMac through USB
iMac running Ivory II for piano sounds
iPad running Galileo or Magellan app for Organ and Synth.

iMac attached to internet through hardwired Enet
iMac also has an AdHoc wireless network setup solely for connection to the iPad to avoid latency caused by using the house wifi
iPad joined the AdHoc network - this works for Midi, but does not provide internet access to the iPad - a problem I have not yet solved, but does not effect the music apps.

Using Audio Midi Setup on the iMac, I established a connection (Session) between the iMac and Keystation to the iPad. One must be actively running a CoreMIDI supporting app on the iPad to be able to setup this session, e.g., Galileo.

Hope that helps.

db

C
C
Ahhh.... ok
Nice set up.
Have you tried plugging the iPad to the iMac using an adapter? This one might solve the latency issue. This way you won't have to go wireless smile
There are apps like Audio Bus that let you connect easily.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200
D
OP Offline
D
Don't think that works - CoreMIDI does not see to talk over a USB connection to an iOS device, but I have not tested fully. If it would work, I suspect the normal USB sync/charge cable would be the working one - the camera kit would result in two 'host' USB devices trying to connect to each other which would not work (iPad and Mac).

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission