2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Seems ever since I started playing the piano I've always looked towards learning the next harder or more intricate piece. I learn one, then find a harder one etc... Recently I've been asking myself "why haven't I stopped and learned the countless other pieces that should be easy by now?"

I'm learning etudes, ballades and large works by Liszt and Chopin, but I wonder why I haven't stopped to learn a majority of say Chopin's preludes or waltzes or Bach's Inventions and Sinfonias etc... Many of the pieces in these sets and similar sets should be well within my grasp, yet I don't bother to tackle them unless I get motivate to learn one randomly.

Anyone else have this thought or curious question? I would think by now there should be no reason why I shouldn't have more of these pieces under my belt.

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinLives81
Anyone else have this thought or curious question? I would think by now there should be no reason why I shouldn't have more of these pieces under my belt.
Keep in mind that so-called "easy" music can be difficult to play if you want to play it well. OTOH I recently learned two easy pieces to play with my piano group because my Beethoven and Chopin are far from ready to perform. I learned Schumann's "Chopin" from Carnaval and Alkan's Barcarolle. Both are quite lovely and well "below the bar". I often sight read music that is easy just for the pleasure of hearing something new.

Best regards,

Deborah
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I never stop "raising the bar" in the sense of trying to get better every year. That means getting better at things like phrasing, expression, and timing, not just hitting the notes of intricate pieces.

Recently my teacher suggested Chopin's 2nd Ballade; she told me she thought I was finally ready for... the opening section (!).

-J

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I never choose pieces with the goal of challenging myself with harder music. There is so much great music within my present level(nowhere near that needed to get into a conservatory)that I just choose pieces I love. As others have pointed out, this doesn't mean I don't continually try to improve.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/12/14 03:30 PM.
Online Content
Seems ever since I started playing the piano I've always looked towards learning the next harder or more intricate piece. I learn one, then find a harder one etc... Recently I've been asking myself "why haven't I stopped and learned the countless other pieces that should be easy by now?"

Actually, I think based on your first paragraph, one would assume that you wouldn't have more of those easier pieces learned.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gooddog
Keep in mind that so-called "easy" music can be difficult to play if you want to play it well.

Well yes I haven't forgotten that, but when I say easy I mean a piece where no one would say "no, stay away from that piece that's beyond your level". There are plenty of pieces that are far below your current skill level that really don't need to be given a 2nd thought as to whether or not it's possible for you to play.

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
Originally Posted by beet31425
...Recently my teacher suggested Chopin's 2nd Ballade; she told me she thought I was finally ready for... the opening section (!).

You mean the easy part?? That makes no sense at all!!

(Just kidding.) grin

BTW, in competitions, when people play that piece, I'd guess most of them cook their goose before they're out of that opening section.

I never stop raising the bar either, and it's as Beet314 said: It's not that I go for more and more difficult pieces (not necessarily), but trying to do better and better than I've done before.

....when I say easy I mean a piece where no one would say "no, stay away from that piece that's beyond your level". There are plenty of pieces that are far below your current skill level that really don't need to be given a 2nd thought as to whether or not it's possible for you to play.

It was clear what you meant. We're just looking at it how we look at it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's hard for me to stop raising the bar because of my attitude towards my playing. I view my playing as "not good enough yet", and if I get assigned an "easy" piece, I wonder if it's because my teacher thinks I can't handle something harder.

Even when I'm accompanying and have the option of simplifying something, I still struggle to play it as written because I think I will learn from it and it will make me a better pianist.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
B
B
Maybe it's because I enjoy challenges, whether of the physical (climbing, running, open-water swimming etc) or mental kind, but I rarely set out to learn easier pieces than what I'm currently playing. They're almost always at least the same level of difficulty (usually harder), and usually has something that's challenging to my current level of technique. Though the difficulty needn't be wholly technical - sometimes, it's just a piece that I find awkward but which others might not necessarily do. But whatever I set out to learn, it must appeal to me at some level - usually on both the musical (nice tunes and/or interesting harmonies) and technical (enjoyable to play as well as difficult): I never learn something simply for the sake of its technical difficulty. The same reason I've never played studies/études of no musical merit.

It follows that my memorized repertoire tends to be somewhat skewed towards fast music. I tend to just sight-read easier pieces for relaxation, but rarely go on to learn them properly. Such is the prerogative of an amateur who hasn't got a teacher and therefore learns and plays exactly what he wants....... grin

If music be the food of love, play on!
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I never choose pieces with the goal of challenging myself with harder music. There is so much great music within my present level(nowhere near that needed to get into a conservatory)that I just choose pieces I love. As others have pointed out, this doesn't mean I don't continually try to improve.

+1. I am actually a little overwhelmed with all of the music that I love that I *can* play, and other stuff that I either want to learn, have read through, and/or am working on, that I feel I can leave the virtuoso repertoire to the virtuosos. That said, I sometimes hear a piece that I am compelled to learn, and never consider that it might be beyond my level. As said in another thread, there are some things that you just want to hear come from your own hands. So, I dive into it and take the long view, put it aside when I hit a wall or a plateau, work on something else for a while, get it back out later, and find I've made progress to allow me to proceed with the piece that was giving me a hassle.

It's the love for the piece and being compelled to play it that determines what I work on. Whether it is "easy" or "hard" has nothing to do with it.

--Andy

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 01/12/14 03:58 PM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
I'll usually play one piece that "raises the bar" each year, but the vast majority of what I play lies well within my capabilities. Lots of repeat repertoire and easier fare makes up the bulk of what I do.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
As said in another thread, there are some things that you just want to hear come from your own hands.

The funny thing is that it was me that said that on the thread "pinpointing what got us hooked"...lol

Check my videos @:
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
As said in another thread, there are some things that you just want to hear come from your own hands.

The funny thing is that it was me that said that on the thread "pinpointing what got us hooked"...lol

LOL! I *thought* so!!!... Good one, CL! grin

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 01/12/14 04:43 PM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Yes I have. There's a lot to learn from setting the bar high, but there's also a lot to learn from playing pieces can be learn in a relatively short period of time. I spend the second half of last year working on easier pieces, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

F
F
I usually have a blend of two or three each-- stretch pieces, pieces at my level, and easier pieces. E.g., a Henle 8/9 sonata or ballade, 6/7 nocturne or waltz, and an easier prelude, maybe even a mazurka. It's just nice to be able to play something through for gratification.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I regularly learn pieces that are easy for me, either because it's my job (most choral and ballet music) or because I find something I like and want to learn it.

Eventually we all get to the point where it's not about just reaching the next level of difficulty anymore -- difficulty becomes more a measure of time (how long will it take me to learn this) rather than a measure of our status/level of advancement.

I happen to think it's good for everyone to learn short-term and long-term pieces, short-term being more about one's ability to absorb material quickly, an important skill even though the material may be easier.

BTW have you ever actually played through Chopin Op. 28? You might be surprised. There are a couple easy ones but most aren't.

Last edited by hreichgott; 01/12/14 09:53 PM.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by beet31425
I never stop "raising the bar" in the sense of trying to get better every year. That means getting better at things like phrasing, expression, and timing, not just hitting the notes of intricate pieces.

Recently my teacher suggested Chopin's 2nd Ballade; she told me she thought I was finally ready for... the opening section (!).

If you're ready for the third movement of Beethoven's 109, you're ready for the Chopin.

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by hreichgott
BTW have you ever actually played through Chopin Op. 28? You might be surprised. There are a couple easy ones but most aren't.

There are no easy ones. whome Chopin says more in 45 seconds than some composers do in an entire 30-minute piece. wink

Regards,

Polyphonist
....BTW have you ever actually played through Chopin Op. 28? You might be surprised. There are a couple easy ones but most aren't.

Yes. I missed the 'in passing' thing he said about the Preludes. (BTW he only said "most" of them are probably within his grasp, and they probably are. But still.) smile
It's easy to assume (because of the title) that these are relatively easy Chopin pieces. But several of them are among Chopin's very most difficult works.

And what a great set. A while back, I think there was something like a "desert island" thread -- i.e. what piece would you take if you could only take one. Chopin's Opus 28 is mine.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
....BTW have you ever actually played through Chopin Op. 28? You might be surprised. There are a couple easy ones but most aren't.

Yes. I missed the 'in passing' thing he said about the Preludes. (BTW he only said "most" of them are probably within his grasp, and they probably are. But still.) smile
You may have even understated their difficulty. As a group, they're among Chopin's very most difficult works.

A while back, I think there was something like a "desert island" thread -- i.e. what piece would you take if you could only take one. Chopin's Opus 28 is mine.

Mark, I think that's sort of cheating. grin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission