2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2726 Offline OP
OP Offline
So, still trying to figure out all of this stuff and what I want to wind up with.

If I were to buy a slab style DP such as a Kawai MP6 (or new model if released at NAMM), what works best for speakers? I have had recommendations for something like KRK Rokit speakers, but also wondering about a keyboard amplifier?

I play guitar and have a Trace Elliot 100W acoustic guitar amp, but don't know enough about the differences (if any) between an acoustic guitar amp and a keyboard amp. My Trace Elliot amp has a 10 or 12" woofer on the bottom and two 4" speakers above that in the amp cabinet.

Thanks again in advance for your advice and this great forum of knowledge!!

Jim

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If the piano samples are in stereo, you'd want a stereo set up, right?

Whatever you decide on be sure to know the store's return policy. You always want to live with a speaker set up for a few days to know if you really like it.

You can always use professional headphones until you make your choice.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
If the piano samples are in stereo, you'd want a stereo set up, right?

If you're doing stage performance, the piano may be fed _monophonically_ to the PA system. In stereo, one side of the house gets the bass, the other side gets the treble, and the keyboard seems to be 20' wide.

I've been content with one good speaker (EV ZXA1); I couldn't afford two of them.

. . . You can always use professional headphones until you make your choice.

+1.

You can try whatever DP you buy with the guitar amp. Most people say that guitar amps (and their speakers) are "colored", and not as good as either powered near-field monitor speakers, or good PA speakers. [I haven't tested, and have no personal opinion.] Trust your own ears.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Products marketed as "keyboard amps" tend not to be so great for piano.

Guitar amps are generally poor for piano, but since yours is specifically an acoustic guitar amp, it might fare better.

I like the EV ZXa1 mentioned, it's pretty natural sounding, reasonably priced, lightweight. On the higher end, I like the JBL PRX625, also very natural, can go a lot louder if need be, and can provide a much bigger bottom than what you can get out of the EV's 8", as good as it is. EV also has a new lower priced (but heavier) line that is supposed to be good (I think that has a 12").

If it's for a fixed installation, though (rather than gigging), then people often prefer "studio monitor" style speakers rather than PA style speakers.

I don't think stereo is essential (and always say that one good speaker is better than two crappy ones), but this, also, may be more of a factor for home/studio use rather than gigging.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by 2726
So, still trying to figure out all of this stuff and what I want to wind up with.

If I were to buy a slab style DP such as a Kawai MP6 (or new model if released at NAMM), what works best for speakers? I have had recommendations for something like KRK Rokit speakers, but also wondering about a keyboard amplifier?

I play guitar and have a Trace Elliot 100W acoustic guitar amp, but don't know enough about the differences (if any) between an acoustic guitar amp and a keyboard amp. My Trace Elliot amp has a 10 or 12" woofer on the bottom and two 4" speakers above that in the amp cabinet.

Thanks again in advance for your advice and this great forum of knowledge!!

Jim

I use the KRK5's for my synths and they sound fantastic; however I know some people might want the subwoofer made by them as well.
In general these sound clearer than keyboard amplifiers and guitar amplifiers focus on a different dynamic range and would not be suitable for a piano sound.
For a smaller room I find the 5" monitors to be good. It is all about personal preference, but in my opinion monitors are the better way to go

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
C
C
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Products marketed as "keyboard amps" tend not to be so great for piano.

Guitar amps are generally poor for piano, but since yours is specifically an acoustic guitar amp, it might fare better.

I like the EV ZXa1 mentioned, it's pretty natural sounding, reasonably priced, lightweight. On the higher end, I like the JBL PRX625, also very natural, can go a lot louder if need be, and can provide a much bigger bottom than what you can get out of the EV's 8", as good as it is. EV also has a new lower priced (but heavier) line that is supposed to be good (I think that has a 12").

If it's for a fixed installation, though (rather than gigging), then people often prefer "studio monitor" style speakers rather than PA style speakers.

I don't think stereo is essential (and always say that one good speaker is better than two crappy ones), but this, also, may be more of a factor for home/studio use rather than gigging.

I read somewhere that some people actually use a "good set" of pc speakers for home use with stage keyboard. Would you have a recommendation for a good set this, as I am looking at stage pianos to use for home, and dont really need all the massive sound of actual amps.

"The more I play, the more I am thoroughly convinced that the pedal is the soul of the piano. There are cases where the pedal is everything"
-Anton Rubinstein
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
I've recently hooked up a pair of Tannoy Reveal 501a powered speakers to my current keyboard. $110 each on Amazon with very positive reviews - and they're sounding VERY good here at home.

G
G
Originally Posted by carkar
I read somewhere that some people actually use a "good set" of pc speakers for home use with stage keyboard. Would you have a recommendation for a good set this, as I am looking at stage pianos to use for home, and dont really need all the massive sound of actual amps.

I use these here:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-...=1389515282&sr=8-1&keywords=Z623

They sound good - I have no complaints. They certainly sound a lot better than the built-in speakers. Not quite sure if I would actually need the subwoofer, though.

W.Hoffmann T122, Roland FP-50, Roland RD-64
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm using a pair of Logitech Z-2300s (no longer made, but you can find them on eBay) that work quite nicely. Proper speaker placement is important. I had to put them up on stands and move them around a bit before they really sounded right.

Having a little extra oomph through the subwoofer does seem to make a difference to me, although with larger studio monitors it probably wouldn't matter.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I used Dell 5650 surround speakers that I built into a cabinet for a digital piano. These are 100 watts and yet very compact. The subwoofer really gives a nice deep bass. You should be able to find these quite easily on the used market.

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission