2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 11 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Maybe I'm overreacting (a specialty of mine!) but I fear this may result in graded recitals. I feel that most of us here might prefer that particular can of worms remain closed.

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...ion_-_a_different_type_.html#Post2212277

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Well, maybe overreacting a little. I mean, they are free to do whatever they want over in the Pianist Corner. A few of the regulars in the ABF have participated in some of their recitals (I had a piece in the Chopin Mazurka Recital). But I don't see it detracting from the ABF quarterly recital, unless it siphons off some of the better players who might want to prepare something longer and more involved.

The fact is that the Pianist Corner has a different vibe than the Adult Beginners Forum, at least that is the way I perceive it.

Recently we have had an increase in recital activity, with the themed recitals, and I don't think that has detracted much, if any, from the quarterly recital.

There seems to be room, and interest, in all types of recitals. I have to think that is a good thing. I'm surprised no one has organized a popular themed recital or an Einaudi recital!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I don't think it will have a negative impact on the ABF recitals.
It is a different type of e-cital aimed at folks who want to present longer complex pieces.

And as it was suggested over in the PC, I think that anyone who has the courage to wander over there should feel free to go for it. I believe that a great number of the folks who are skilled enough to be welcome in PC still spend most of their time in ABF because.....we're just a little bit friendlier over here smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The only problem I can see is it would dilute the activities already in place. I don`t care for sonatas beyond the 4 minute stage . . . . The piano bar was very quiet last month! But if it`s on the Pianist forum, then that`s the best place for it and those wanting to join in. Whatever else you do -

Have fun!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I've been reading that, too. But I don't think it would be a problem. The works they're talking about apparently are works that are highly unlikely to be in our quarterly recitals - tho we've had some that are 10 minutes long. I don't think the beginners that we encourage - the ones with a week or 6 months playing time - are going to play those works. And for those ABFers who might like to try those works, if the file size fits the ABF, go for it. And if they'd like to post it in the other recital, go for that.

There doesn't seem to be a prior restriction on how well you can play one of those pieces - how could there be? - so I don't see them leaving anyone out who wants to play there.

And for those who feel uncomfortable playing in the ABF recital because they feel their abilities are beyond ABF and perhaps inappropriate in an ABF recital, well, we *are* the adult beginners forum. And while that also includes those of who restarted as adults, and we have some very accomplished pianists, I don't have a problem with the PC providing a place for others. Regular posters here have participated in themed recitals hosted in the PC, and vice-versa.

As long as the quarterly recitals here remain comfortable for the 1 week to 6 months folks, and we do have to reiterate that every once in awhile, I think folks will sort themselves out and there will still folks who cross-over.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
First rule of ABF recitals is they are ABF recitals. I don't think we need to worry.

Peterws - sorry my next ABF submission will be a > 4 minute Sonata. I don't think even the shortest Sonatinas clock in much less than that. I don't think you will find it uninteresting ...

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Oh, and the ABF quarterly still isn't a "themed" recital - anything goes. It's the only my pieces are welcomed in, besides the themed Joplin that's coming up. I'd hate for the ABF recital to not be that. We encourage comments, and if we had longer and more classical because we were the *only* place people could post those all the non-classical would get lost in forest.

And there is some discussion there about why the members-recordings isn't as useful to some - much the kind of discussion, it seems to me, that we had when we started Ecco Fatto - a couple of people think member recordings in the PC is intimidating. So, we have Ecco Fatto for those who feel not quite ready for the quartlerly recitals, even tho those of us who post in the recitals would welcome them, and the PC may have a new recital that some who feel the members recordings section might not be welcoming.

So the "gradations" seem to me to be more about personal feelings than actual gradations. And in that there will never be a perfect place for some/everyone. At some point we just have to take the plunge, eh?

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
First rule of ABF recitals is they are ABF recitals. I don't think we need to worry.

Peterws - sorry my next ABF submission will be a > 4 minute Sonata. I don't think even the shortest Sonatinas clock in much less than that. I don't think you will find it uninteresting ...

Speed it up a bit, lad!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by peterws

Speed it up a bit, lad!

Heh, heh ... good one.

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The ABF quarterly recitals are just that....quarterly. They are held every three months so anyone can plan ahead accordingly.

If you can't get a piece ready in 3 months,...not to worry because you should be WELL prepared for the following recital three months later. That's six months to practice the piece and get it ready.

Should you not be able to get a piece ready in six months,....not to worry as the next recital will be in three months. This will give you nine months to get a piece ready.

Should you not be able to get a piece ready in nine months,...not to worry because there will be another quarterly recital in three months. That will give you a full year to get a piece ready.

Because this is a 'beginer' forum [think Pampers!] scheduling performances nine months in advance to prepare for more difficult pieces and discerning listeners is an epic 'compatibility fail' for a beginning learning forum. This is probably what separates us most from the Pianist Corner group.

In addition, while I am a fan of the a specific genre/themed recital, ANY genre/themed performance is welcome in the ABF quarterly themed recitals. On the other hand, if too many recitals are popping up on a frequent, perpetual basis, it will start to have a diluting effect on ALL the recitals. None of them will be as special anymore.

Everything in moderation. Even moderation!

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky

In addition, while I am a fan of the a specific genre/themed recital, ANY genre/themed performance is welcome in the ABF quarterly themed recitals. On the other hand, if too many recitals are popping up on a frequent, perpetual basis, it will start to have a diluting effect on ALL the recitals. None of them will be as special anymore.

Everything in moderation. Even moderation!

It's this I worry about. The e-citals seemed quite special. Right up to the Grieg themed recital. Now, all of a sudden, there has been a real uptick in the number of themed e-citals. I was at first disappointed I was not participating in that many. But, now I am quite happy that I skipped the Tchaikovsky and Mazurka recitals. I think my teacher is too. She's happy to help me with PW stuff within moderation. Too much is too much. I could tell it was putting a strain on things. I picked the Nocturne I did because it was something I had prepared a while ago. I've asked if "we can bring it to another level". She's fine with that. Too much of anything is not a good thing. I've also pulled back from detailed comments on each performance. Fewer comments can be a disappointment for the contributors. But, I would hope people participate not simply for the comments they might or might not receive. I guess each of us needs to moderate ourselves as far as participation. The Nocturne recital will be the first one on PC I have done. The jury is still out on whether recitals over there will be for me. I like the ABF. It's more me. I'll just have to see how things go.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
I thought we already had "judging"... All those comments...More like a Peanut Gallery Judging...
Now that fits the ABF... Peanut Gallery...
Yes peterws.... you're allowed to have wine concentrate in the peanut gallery.

Seriously..... I don't comment because I know people already know the lacks in their piece. They're working to learn. Get it out on time. I don't want to discourage people from trying.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Should you not be able to get a piece ready in nine months,...not to worry because there will be another quarterly recital in three months. That will give you a full year to get a piece ready.

This is where my brain explodes and I go into a funk! ha grin

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
I don't see issue with having both forum doing e-citals. I belong to ABF but go over there a lot too. It's all good to me. I don't do quarterlies very much. I think it's because of lack of pressure. It's easy for me not to post a piece if its all up to me and no one's pressing me hard to keep my commitments. Sorry I'm a lazy ass

N
N
I think critiques that are judged as harsh often lack context, or don't take into consideration context. I think the key is to acknowledge both (a) how somebody is doing relative to their situation (years playing, time to practice) as well as (b) how somebody is doing on an absolute scale (how they play vs. how the piece should be played)

What I see a lot is situations where a beginner really surprises me and goes above and beyond what they should be playing; but then get critiqued against professional standards. The critic should be giving feedback on on an absolute scale without addressing the relative scale--and both are important.

Working on Beethoven's Appassionata Sonata, Mvt 3.
I think the ABF and the Pianist section have a different purpose and philosophy. In the ABF, we are students trying to learn how to play. We can be at all kinds of "levels" within that framework. In the Pianist section, it is geared toward people who believe they can play. In the ABF I'd expect to get more advice on how to do things - the Pianist corner I'd expect that they're looking at my interpretation, and that they think I already know how to do things.

There's a gray area where a person falls between these two places: he's still a student learning how to do things, but also good enough to want to be considered for the quality of his music, and playing more advanced things.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by peterws

Speed it up a bit, lad!

Peterws: Speed it up!
My teacher: Slow it down!

wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
And there are some if us who aren't beginners. We don't qualify for that indulgence. Marginal players like me. We just aren't very good and probably never will be. We'd be torn to shreds on PC. But because we love the instrument as much as the gifted, we need an outlet too. I just don't want anyone to have agonize over whether to post on an ABF recital or not. I just want to keep it friendly, anything goes, unrated as it is now.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by -Frycek
Maybe I'm overreacting (a specialty of mine!) but I fear this may result in graded recitals. I feel that most of us here might prefer that particular can of worms remain closed.

Seems not that long ago there was a thread the gist of which was the ABF Recital was too scary for most newbies, the breadth of talent and complexity of the repertoire was so high. I drew from this thread an ongoing debate probably starting from day one, reflecting a crisis of identity among many of the Adult Beginners Forum members who have over the years advanced to the point they find it difficult to place themselves into the advanced category and so depart this very homely forum. Am I not the only one who queries the entry of supposedly (I will never find out) one of the most complex pieces of piano music: the Chopin Ballade No 1 and now a thread for its dissection and study in a beginners forum? This forum can be a very intimidating place the title, which may have been apt in the beginning, is now a grand misnomer.

Don't get me wrong I think the diversity of ability is only a boon for anyone who actively participates or lurks in this forum so in my eyes all are equally welcome no matter how good or bad (just wish some would be a bit more sharing instead of quipping).

So to the point....some players may be wishing for an e-recital more demanding and by definition more exclusive. That is great, for those pianists are in transition to a higher level and may end up leaving ABF and the quarterly e-recitals. All the more room for the newer players to fill the void I would think and express themselves more freely. The quarterly recital was a stroke of genius (thanks Mr Superhunky) and as a quasi institution in it's own right is strong enough to survive.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Addendum to my last post.

I plan to single handed (no pun intended) bring down the high standard of the next quarterly recital with my next offering.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission