2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
rvela Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Charles,

Thanks for the clarification, it's very helpful. What you describe is not ideal but workable. May I ask, are you happy with the line-out sound?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rvela
Scott: So, is it practical to create drum patterns and save them permanently, or is it just a set of sounds to be triggered on the fly by another device?

Both! smile

You can create drum patterns as phrases or "arpeggios" and then save them for use in whatever stage setting you want to use them in.

You can also trigger the drum sounds from an external MIDI source.

Originally Posted by lolatu
none of the sliders and knobs have labels.

This is because each slider/knob can be assigned to any number of effects or control messages. If you move a knob/slider the LCD will display the parameter it is assigned to. smile

Originally Posted by lolatu

5) The ivory / ebony texturing on the keys is just weird. It's like a wood grain moulded into the plastic. Nothing like the matte ivory effects on the Rolands / Kawais.

This is something most people love about the PX-5S.. esp. in a live situation when you start to sweat... the texturing prevents finger slippage.

Last edited by Scott Hamlin; 01/10/14 06:46 PM.
F
F
Well I own a Kawai MP6 and I have a PX 350. The PX 350 piano sounds are pretty good for the price point. you mentioned other sounds. I have not been as happy with the other sounds. Also the PX 350 interface is not as clear as I would like it. I have it to use for travel because it weights less than 30 pounds and the action is great. The build quality is very good. Casio has come a long way and they will only get better. The sound through my Peavey KB4 keyboard amp is pretty good. The Kawai sounds are better in MHO. But you may see that different. The Kawai is twice the cost of the PX-350. If you went up to $2000 you would be looking at the Kawai ES7. It has the furniture option you were asking for and it does have decent internal speakers. It only has about 28 sounds compared to 256 sounds on the Kawai. I agree with starting to download the manuals and studying them. Also you really need to spend some time playing and listening to the sounds preferably with headphones. If I had not bought the Kawai MP6 I would be taking a long look at the PX-5s. It is at a great price point for what it contains. The Action is the same action as in the PX-350. And it does have features the MP6 does not have such as a sequencer. I kinda think the case looks fine. An you can solve the music stand problem using a music stand. I do that for my Hammond. Finally wait until NAMM is over. There may be some changes or new models coming out that would fit you better.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by rvela
Charles,

Thanks for the clarification, it's very helpful. What you describe is not ideal but workable. May I ask, are you happy with the line-out sound?

Yes, I am. It's quite good through headphones or my PA speaker.

It's not as good as the better Rolands (through headphones). I think, if and when I "upgrade", I'll buy Pianoteq rather than a standalone DP. But that's still in the future.

My "review" (very subjective!) is here:

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...20+%20EV%20ZXA1%20Monitor%20--%20No.html

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
R
rvela Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I want to thank everyone for their help. Things have taken a different turn. Upon further conversations with The Management, if you know what I mean, it was decided that a cabinet-style DP was more appropriate, and that the focus should be on piano (with other features to be added later via computer). A PX-850 is on its way!

Cheers,
Ramón

Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
. . . Given your amplification, I'm guessing you may be looking to use the internal speakers to give you a personal stereo image while using the main amp for reinforcement around the room. I've done this with a Casio PX-320 and it works superbly, but I needed to add a mixer to the output chain from the PX-350 to get the external level loud enough to achieve the same effect - which added another thing to carry and set up.
. . .

You are ignoring a statement hidden somewhere in the PX-350 manual:

Well, I wasn't actually ignoring it, to be fair. I was perfectly aware of how this works and flagged it up. It's still a bad decision compared with the earlier models, IMO. For a few dollars more they could have fitted a physical on/off switch for the internal speakers and let people decide for themselves.

Live: Casio PX-5S | Hammond SK1
Studio: Yamaha CP4 | Hammond SK2 | Kurzweil PC361 | Moog Sub 37
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
. . . It's still a bad decision compared with the earlier models, IMO. For a few dollars more they could have fitted a physical on/off switch for the internal speakers and let people decide for themselves. . . .

No argument, there.

And congratulations to Ramon.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
G
G
Hello,Anotherscott,
do yo think to make PX 5 ep sound as good as Yamaha p120 is possible? This question make a big worries to me , because I will to change my p120 to px5. Nord is fantastic ,but keys is noisy..I always look at lightweight stage pianos what have good ep sound and can't find substitution to my Yamaha p120, because I need more lightweight instrument. EP sounds is more important to me, because when I play at big stages, Acoustic piano is there.Does anybody have some conclusions on that??? Thank you werry much.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
I have never played or heard a P120, so I can't tell you how the PX5S EPs compare. However, here's a page with samples of some of the better EP sounds that can be loaded into the PX5S, see what you think...

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4725-vintage-keys-set/

The PX-5S is also a nice feeling lightweight controller for triggering external sounds, i.e. if you find some EP sounds you really like that you can run on a laptop or iPad.

Some other possibilities:

Kurzweil SP4-7. I wouldn't suggest it for acoustic piano because it's not a fully weighted action, but you might find it acceptable for EPs (and the shorter 76 key span isn't generally an issue for EP).

Yamaha MOXF8 - esp. since you like Yamaha EP sounds. Plus, with the flash card, there are other EP sounds you can load into it. But, while still light by 88 standards, it's noticeably heavier than the PX5S or SP4-7.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission