2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 103 of 540 1 2 101 102 103 104 105 539 540

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Jim - ok, I listened to the link....1000 apologies. I don't know what I heard before, but it wasn't this. I take it all back. I would play that!

I would play it in a box.
And I would play it with a fox.
And I would play it in a house.
And I would play it with a mouse.
And I would play it here and there.
Say! I I would play it ANYWHERE!

Christine - bingo smile Yes, I am charmed! I actually have read something about this piece in the past, though I'd never heard it played before.

The title is "Pavane pour un infante defunte"
One's first reaction is that it was written for a child who had died. However, from what I understand, it is meant more for a child from an older time.
Here.... A quote!
Ravel described the piece as "an evocation of a pavane that a little princess might, in former times, have danced at the Spanish court". The pavane was a slow processional dance that enjoyed great popularity in the courts of Europe during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries."

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
laugh Very Funny!!!

Yes, you are right regarding it too, it was Ravel's first piece to gain popularity. It is dedicated to Princess Polignac.
Ravel preferred it to be played calmly, without too much passion or sentimental rubato. He didn't say that it couldn't be played with a fox, so I believe it would be safe to carry on with that plan thumb

BTW: If you like Bolero, you can hear a lot of nice solo piano versions of it too.

I predict that next month you will 3hearts Ravel sooo much that you will insist your teacher continue your lessons with a Ravel only diet!!!!! Ha!

Christine

[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Jim - ok, I listened to the link....1000 apologies. I don't know what I heard before, but it wasn't this. I take it all back. I would play that!

For Ravel, you should play it with a reynard ... but I suppose that wouldn't rhyme with boîte would it?

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Oh, goodness, no appology needed, Cheryl -- Even if you hate it. I just wanted to make sure you heard a decent performance.
Now I've gone and set myself up for having to outdo all those youtube versions except the one I liked....dang, trapped myself again. I'll really have to practice it...

I'll practice like a nut.
I'll practice off my butt.
I'll practice till I drop.
I'll practice without stop.
I'll practice every day.
Until its a snap to play.

Well, that's the plan, anyway. grin

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Originally Posted by casinitaly

For Ravel, you should play it with a reynard ... but I suppose that wouldn't rhyme with boîte would it?

Well, we could be a bit flexible.....
Je le sonnerai dans l'eau,
Je le sonnerai avec un veau,
Je le sonnerai sur le toit,
Je le sonnerai dans une boîte,
Je l'aime tellment beacoup,
Je le sonnerai partout!!!

Christine..... I wouldn't put any money down on that bet wink

Jim --- good one!!!! I will look forward to your performance! smile

[Linked Image]

K
K
Hello Folks,
not achievement per se nor mine, but rather of my wife who took me to her grammar school (she is a teacher), unlocked small grand piano in one musical room and I've been allowed to practice on this instrument for an hour or so. Nice experience. The piano was quite old Petrof model V, but whole playing was so, so different to what I know from our and my teacher's uprights. IMHO and wife also claims this, piano should be well regulated. School invested some money to it two years or so ago. Well, for me, surprising experience now I a little bit better understand the difference between action and I kind of fall in love with the grand action. Also, it provided a lot better sound than our small August Fo"rster upright.
Searching for small grand piano for rent now...:-)

Last edited by KarelG; 02/10/12 04:43 PM.

November 2011: piano entered into my life.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Whew! I finally managed to get my recital recorded. I came back from my three week trip to the US, clicked on PianoWorld, and saw that recitals were due. I panicked! My piece needed a lot more polishing before I left. So, I practiced a lot this last week, and managed to do a 1/2 way decent recording. I still have more work on this, and next time I think I will pick a shorter piece to record! Now I can relax and try back to normal life!

B
B
My AOTW: re-recording and re-submitting my minuet to the recital, of course! And congratulations, btw, to the many who seem to be overcoming obstacles to be part of the recital... seems like many folks are jumping through extra hoops to get there, good show!

Another AOTW, today at lesson, my teacher said he liked my minuet very much, which was a far cry from last week. He likes to hear things played with authority, not muddy, and always says that if you can play something loud and clear then you can easily play it soft, but the reverse is not true. That's a comment in reaction to my playing timidly when I'm not quite sure of a piece yet.

We spent most of the time today working on my sonatina, which I can play most of at speed now, with flubs. If I work hard at it, I'm hoping it'll only be another week or two before it is really gelling.

He also gave me a new Czerny exercise, #1 ("Action of the fingers, the hand quiet") in "The Art of Finger Dexterity"... it has a fast up-down line in one hand and chords or single slow notes in the other... and the point is to play the fast line crisply and clearly, but equally challenging for me right now is to find the chords! I'm terrible at that, which of course makes it a good chord-reading exercise for now. smile

Last edited by bessel; 02/11/12 10:58 PM.

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member
Finally getting to grips with a Froberger piece. I abandoned an initial attempt to tackle an unmeasured piece (or rather a 'the measures seem to be all over the place' piece) and decided to begin with something more straightforward.

All the note suspensions that initially seemed very challenging were fine in the end, with a bit of practice, and after having done some work with the metronome to work out all the relative note values (there's very little regular rhythm and very wide range of note values). Then I threw in quite a few spreads and some inegalite in the few quavers. It's starting to sound more musical! (I hope.) Next I'm going to tackle some reverse spreads. Finally I will try tackling some trills.

This is the first new piece I'm starting to feel happy about on the new-to-me loan harpsichord. As an instrument, it's not perfect (needs a bit of maintenance work, some strings missing!) but it's good enough to really get to grips with the harpsichord feel. I couldn't imagine doing the Froberger on the piano, and it's great to be able to explore this music on a harpsichord.

I've also sent off for some parts (strings, dampers, plectra, tools) to replace some missing bits, and last weekend I attended a harpsichord maintenance course - part 2 next month - so I feel much more comfortable doing some fixing now (as well as knowing what to order!).

I'm falling very much in love with Froberger. There's some brilliant stuff, but I think his work doesn't really suit the piano, which may be why he's not known much by pianists.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My teacher asked me to listen to some Ravel and think about a piece of his that I might like to learn, so these links to his music are very timely. There's only one that has really grabbed me so far, and that one is Pavane pour un infante defunte. But that one I like enough so that it is now on my to-learn list.

Eglantine, it sounds like you're learning a lot with your latest piece. And how fun to work on fixing your own instrument! You're really going to get to know it on all levels.

Upon request, and for your listening pleasure ( wink ), here is a link to my grandson's first composition: Ghosts Booing, Zombies Chewing.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
B
B
Originally Posted by MaryBee

Upon request, and for your listening pleasure ( wink ), here is a link to my grandson's first composition: Ghosts Booing, Zombies Chewing.

MaryBee -
My kids love it! ("so much!", they say.) The little one is giggling about the gross noises, and the big one wanted to hear it twice!
I have a feeling we may have some covers of that tune soon in our house.

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Hi friends, I really hate to let you all down but I cannot join the recital this time. I just flew in to NY on an urgent business and am writing this in a hired car. I did not know that I needed to make travel arrangement until late Thursday. So I had to cancel my 2nd rehearsal for the piano ensemble at the last minute and my other personal engagement this weekend (piano recording for ABF for example). It is very frustrating. Good luck to everyone. I hope at least I can get to listen to it. I will post the piece I intended for the recital to the Piano Bar later.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
MaryBee - that belongs in a Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings movie! I laughed at the end.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
MaryBee,

Re Ravel, have you listened to his "Sonatine"? Very lovely, especially the 2nd movement.

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
MaryBee, that was.....gruesome! smile I can just picture the scene. Loved the sound effects.

Karel - what a great experience... Isn't it fun to play lovely big pianos?

Swiss MS congrats on getting your recital piece in!

Bessel, you 're really coming along in leaps and bounds these days! Good for you!

Eglantine, I love hearing about your adventure on the harpsichord. I love the sound of those instruments. Do you find it alot harder to play than piano?

FarmGirl, I'm sorry you won't be joining us in the recital but look forward to hearing your piece in the piano bar.

My AOTW is that I finally did get my blues piece recorded and I swapped it as my recital piece, so I dropped from 11th position to 42nd... but I'm happier with it. Also, I submitted the "rejected" recital piece to the piano bar, thus starting to fulfill one of my goals, which is to participate at least 5 times in the PB.

[Linked Image]

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
This is my first time posting on this thread. It's great to see a multi-multi-paged thread of achievements!

My achievement this week was to get enough speed going on the ragtime piece in the Alfred AIO book 3 to make it actually sound like a rag.

I like ragtime alright, and my DH plays rag almost exclusively, but deep down, I don't see a lot of ragtime in my playing future. There is one I would really really love to play: Graceful Ghost by William Bolcom. Maybe someday.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

During these few weeks, I have been studying and playing "Beethoven Opus 129" piece page by page. Before started learning this piece, I told my teacher for my concern as I watched those Pianist played so quick on Youtube..but my teacher said this is a good piece to study. I just need to play smoothly first and go as fast as I can. I just had a lesson today and my teacher was satisfied for my playing. I also feel so happy and excited that my fingers are moving quickly than before!!! The Phrasing and Dynamtic are also good. Oh Yes! Every time when I play this piece, I was imagaing the story of this piece with smile- A lost penny by Beethoven, so he composed this piece.

Really want to shout on bus now: I am learning Beethoven's Piece, I am loving it!! :P

Here is the piece I got from YouTube for your ref:
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=HK#/watch?v=ZHetvDqnkzE

Have a nice weekend smile

♬*:♬♪゚・:,。♬o。*:..♬♬.:*:・♪

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Stubbie - welcome ! yes, it is fun to hear about everyone's progress, isn't it? And remember that we work in babysteps, so every success is worth reporting here! smile

I did my first ragtime just before Christmas and had a lot of fun with it - it really puts a smile on your face, doesn't it?

Yuki Yuki - your enthusiam is contagious! I smiled when I read that you want to shout on the bus! The link didn't work properly for me, I got just an index page...?
I found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zPAYPnfdas
This young lady plays it in 6:27 minutes.... I see that Kissin plays it in 5:24 minutes. I did't have the courage to even open that video!

wow..... Even if are playing it slowly it must still take significant concentration!!! What FUN!
I hope you will record the piece and let us hear you playing it later!

I have just started working on Chopin Waltz in Aminor. Here is what I hope to sound like some time in the future... smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smqj_z04i4A

[Linked Image]

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Ah, just had a whole afternoon to myself and the piano. Bliss!

Also, next week will be accompanying the "treble" choir (K-3) in church. Luckily it's an exceedingly simple accompianment (really - open fifths in the left hand, single note melody in the right; I have to refrain from embellishing it too much!!). But it's the first time I've actually played during the "adult" church service.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Andy, that will be really fun. K-3 is a great age, so I'm sure you'll enjoy this debut instead of getting stage fright smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Page 103 of 540 1 2 101 102 103 104 105 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission