2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 3 invisible), 1,300 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 113 of 540 1 2 111 112 113 114 115 539 540

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Eglantine, I was already envious of your harpsichord, and now I find out you can tune it too. How cool ! (I've already told my roommates that if they see a harpsichord sitting out by the side of the road with a "free" sign on it, to be sure bring it home for me...). I do find it interesting to push the buttons on my DP to make it play in different tunings, but it's harpsichord sound just isn't very convincing. frown

Cas, enjoy your fresh tuning!

Sam, I said it in the other thread, but I'll say it here too: it's a lovely piano, and you definitely deserve it (as one of our adult prodigies!). Too bad you'll have to leave it behind for the summer.

And SwissMS, I agree with you about metronomes. I used to hate them, but I now admit the problem was my overly elastic sense of rhythm o_O . Since I've made progress with that, I've come to find them quite invigorating.

My achievement of the week is finally pulling out of the little depressive slump I've had since being sick for so long. I think my body just forgot how to be energized. I've been eating better now also, and I think that's also contributed to my increasing energy level. (Hmm, maybe I'm ready for some quality time with that metronome...)

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by tangleweeds
.....overly elastic sense of rhythm o_O......

Love that phrase! (& strongly identify with it!)

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Casinitaly, glad to hear you are back in tune in - ahem - equal temperament! (I'm making an assumption there that you don't use one of the other tunings popular with pianists.)

Cathy, I've yet to explore the different meantone tunings, having only just grasped the difference in principle between 'the meantones' and 'the well tempereds'. Time for more head in books, methinks.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
B
B
Wow, spring has sprung and it sounds like not only the flowers are blooming. New pianos (congrats Sam - it's gorgeous!), new tunings, leaps and bounds all around. Wow. Congratulations to everyone.

Here in Ohio, alas, it is snowing.

But inside, I just had a great 45 minutes on the keys, mostly working on Fur Elise. I'm doing it sans pedal for now (having never used that dang thing before), but it is oh so fun. I'm getting my fingers wrapped around the part where the first chords come in, up until where the repeat of the beginning part starts again. My teacher hyper-boosted me over those chords last weekend, huge guided progress, and I feel like it's going to come... though I still have to get to the part with the droning A note and RH chords, but that' doesn't *look* so bad...

Anyway, I'm loving it because I love Beethoven's way with music, and this is my first piece by him. What fun.

So, a belated Happy Spring to you all, and may your playing keep you happy even if the weather does not cooperate. smile

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Cheryl, I forgot to warn you about the risk of playing Chopin. It's very addictive. I normally try my best to stay away from them. As I looked at your post, I noticed my feet moving toward my piano and myself start reading from the Chopin Waltzer.... My mind is telling me "no no no tomorrow is my lesson. I should be doing the Rach piece.."

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Cheryl, I forgot to warn you about the risk of playing Chopin. It's very addictive. I normally try my best to stay away from them. As I looked at your post, I noticed my feet moving toward my piano and myself start reading from the Chopin Waltzer.... My mind is telling me "no no no tomorrow is my lesson. I should be doing the Rach piece.."

Let me play that part just oneeee more time...

Last edited by Sam Rose; 04/11/12 03:34 AM.

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Tangleweeds - glad you are feeling better - plunge in and let your music further lighten your heart!

SwissMS, I know what you mean, my "I want to play THAT" list is never-ending....and really that's already scary when you think of how little time I've been playing music. The good thing is that never-ending is never-ending......I don't have to worry about the list getting longer ha ha!

Eglantine, how did you start learning to tune? Which books/dvds did you find most helpful? Are you taking a course? I have tinkered with my piano a bit but don't like to mess with it too much, because...well, so far I just end up messing it up rather than making it better!

Bessel - once you get to using the pedal you'll be even more enchanted with your music. My teacher tried to get me to use the pedal over a year ago and I resisted terribly - I felt overwhelmed with the sound. When I started my Chopin piece I HAD to use the pedal or there would be huge gaps ...so now I'm making up for lost time (so to speak) and having a lot of fun getting the hang of it.

FarmGirl and Sam - you are so right...... and I have the Silent feature on my piano, I can play as late as I like....... this is sometimes a danger factor!!!

:):):)

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Tangleweeds - glad you are feeling better - plunge in and let your music further lighten your heart!

SwissMS, I know what you mean, my "I want to play THAT" list is never-ending....and really that's already scary when you think of how little time I've been playing music. The good thing is that never-ending is never-ending......I don't have to worry about the list getting longer ha ha!

Eglantine, how did you start learning to tune? Which books/dvds did you find most helpful? Are you taking a course? I have tinkered with my piano a bit but don't like to mess with it too much, because...well, so far I just end up messing it up rather than making it better!

Bessel - once you get to using the pedal you'll be even more enchanted with your music. My teacher tried to get me to use the pedal over a year ago and I resisted terribly - I felt overwhelmed with the sound. When I started my Chopin piece I HAD to use the pedal or there would be huge gaps ...so now I'm making up for lost time (so to speak) and having a lot of fun getting the hang of it.

FarmGirl and Sam - you are so right...... and I have the Silent feature on my piano, I can play as late as I like....... this is sometimes a danger factor!!!

:):):)

I think tuning a harpsichord is to an extent easier than piano - the tuning pins are right there in front of you, as you sit at the harpsichord. Although there is the challenge of having two sets of strings to tune.

I went on a one-day maintenance course, to get to grips with all the mechanics, and now feel much more confident messing with the insides. Then I got myself a Korg electronic tuner, which tunes to a variety of temperaments, including meantone, Pythagorean, Werckmeister III, Kirnberger III, Vallotti, and Young which is used by some pianists.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Cheryl and FarmGirl
Now you have me going back to the waltz. Never did play it close to tempo so maybe learning it again will be more relaxed and make the dancers move a bit faster. I can see them dancing...one two three one two three...I'm close to 100 so at least they aren't tripping over each other. :-)

My accomplishment is having all four sections of the polonaise under my fingers...now I can connect them and polish this piece in time for my teacher's piano workshop(recital) in May.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Tonight I was playing one of my recital pieces for my teacher, from memory, and totally forgot where I was going at one point. I flailed around for a measure and a half, but even though flailing, I kept playing notes and chords in rhythm and in the general vicinity of where I was supposed to be. Afterwards, I said to my teacher, "did you notice that giant trainwreck in the first half?" And she said, "no." So that's my AOTW: to be able to successfully fake it through a concentration lapse.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
B
B
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Tonight I was playing one of my recital pieces for my teacher, from memory, and totally forgot where I was going at one point. I flailed around for a measure and a half, but even though flailing, I kept playing notes and chords in rhythm and in the general vicinity of where I was supposed to be. Afterwards, I said to my teacher, "did you notice that giant trainwreck in the first half?" And she said, "no." So that's my AOTW: to be able to successfully fake it through a concentration lapse.

Wow, I can't even imagine it. My train wrecks are more noticeable than the real thing. smile So congrats, that's a real achievement!

Cheryl - re pedaling... the only thing my teacher has said about the pedal so far is "no" (and that was long ago)... I haven't talked to him about it for this piece yet, but it's still a few weeks before I get the notes in order. smile I'm looking forward to exercising the pedal though, because it's so essential for the Chopin prelude (Em) I want to do soon... I started that briefly just before abandoning it "fur elise".

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Pianostudent88 - That's admirable. My teacher always tells me don't stop or don't even look at me when you make a mistake. I am pretty bad at it. I start surveying the room to see who noticed my mistakes... I wish I could do that.

Bessel - not sure what piece you are talking about but, generally speaking, I usually start a waltz without pedal, without grace notes, without trills, etc. I try to be able to play through it slowly first paying attention to dynamics and balance between left hand and right hand. Then add pedals, grace notes, trills etc. At least that's how I was told. Maybe your teacher shares similar thoughts with my current and past teachers.

My AOW is I finally memorized my piece that I am playing in my teachers' playing session on 5/19. My memory is still fragile but I was able to play it through Rach 23-5 (Yay!) I also had so much fun playing Chopin Waltz. After I played A minor Waltz, I played through Op 69 #1 and 2.
they were very similar and fun to play. I have played them slowly. It went pretty well. I am amazed the progress I made. I used to struggle to make the melody sing while keeping the left hand volume low. It was incredible fun. Then I tried C# minor waltz. well, it was more difficult than Op 69. Even though I played it before, it requires me to practice to bring it back. I decided to bring this one back to life. K, now I have to go back to practice.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Bessel,the Am will sound so much richer once you start adding in the pedal - but believe me I really do "get it" that you have to be ready to tackle that extra dimension - I avoided it for well over a year!!!!!

I'm listening to the Prelude in Em right now - wow, that's pretty. I've heard it before, but like so many pieces I never realized what it was called.
You are going to LOVE playing that! I am getting thirsty for more Chopin and I've barely scratched the surface of the Am Waltz! I'm starting to understand why Chopin is so addictive.

FarmGirl - /PianoStudent88 - my teacher too tells me not to stop, just to keep going. It is really good training for when you play in public (not that I do it often). Last June there was a recital in which I participated, and out of all the performers, only those working with my teacher didn't have train wrecks when they made errors!
(I of course managed so "smoothly" forget to play about 8 bars of a 32 bar piece...lol.....

On a totally different note (pun fully intended!) .... some of you might remember how upset I was when my neighbour's daughter (who is at university, not a baby!) banged on the wall to get me to stop playing several months ago. Well, at the time I went downstairs and spoke with the mom (daughter was in bed with a migraine) and said that I had ALWAYS, even before the piano arrived, said that I wouldn't play if it was disturbing them, (because I can use the headphones) - I made it clear that I was upset - not because she wanted me to stop, but because of the way she did it. Yesterday the mum came up and asked if I would kindly play with the headphones today and tomorrow as the daughter needs to study. I was really pleased that they asked (though a bit disappointed that this coincides with my freshly tuned piano!) - however I feel that they too must be happier knowing that I really am prepared to cooperate with their needs and we can manage this without anyone being upset or embarrassed. That's a bit of a ramble, but it is a huge relief to me!

[Linked Image]

M
M
casinitaly, if you like the chopin prelude, you should see this: http://www.ted.com/talks/benjamin_zander_on_music_and_passion.html

I'm glad you've come to a good arrangement with your neighbors.

bessel, congrats on your progress!

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaryAnn
casinitaly, if you like the chopin prelude, you should see this: http://www.ted.com/talks/benjamin_zander_on_music_and_passion.html

I'm glad you've come to a good arrangement with your neighbors.

bessel, congrats on your progress!

Mary Ann, you're right - I loved the presentation (I even posted it on my FB page! ) Thanks very much!

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Ok, I'm just back from my piano lesson, during which my teacher told me several times I was "brava" smile

She said I'd really studied well and she could see that I too was able to recognize how much work I'd done and progress I'd made since our last lesson.

Today we really drilled bars 17-24 over and over and by George, I'm getting there!

I'm in SUCH a good mood.

smile

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cheryl,

Don't forget the B-minor prelude while you are casting about for approachable Chopin. Very much within your grasp I would think.

Oh, and congrats on the lesson feedback and recent progress. Its nice when the hard work pays off.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JimF
Cheryl,

Don't forget the B-minor prelude while you are casting about for approachable Chopin. Very much within your grasp I would think.

Oh, and congrats on the lesson feedback and recent progress. Its nice when the hard work pays off.

Hi Jim,
I just listened to, and downloaded (from http://chopinfiles.com) the prelude in B-minor. I think you are right - this is very approachable. The only difficulty I foresee is having to be very careful about keeping the tension out of my hand and arm while holding so many notes at one time in the right hand. As far as reading it goes, the only really "scary" part is at bars 7-8.
If I had seen the music before hearing it, I would have just laughed and said no way! But having heard it I realize that in terms of speed, it is just my cup of tea! Thanks for the suggestion!
(and thanks for the congrats on my progress -I do indeed feel that the past few weeks have made such a significant difference - It is pretty exciting!)

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cheryl,

Your comments on the B-minor 28-6 are spot-on. Nice comfy pace with only one tricky bit in m7-8. Relaxed hands and wrists in both the arpeggiated and blocked chords will help you bring out the melody notes and make it sing. Like the E-minor prelude...... pretty easy to play, but not at all easy to play beautifully.

If you are fooling around with it, be careful. Once you get the tone of those gorgeous arpeggios coming out of YOUR piano, you will be hooked.

Have fun,

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JimF
Cheryl,

Your comments on the B-minor 28-6 are spot-on. Nice comfy pace with only one tricky bit in m7-8. Relaxed hands and wrists in both the arpeggiated and blocked chords will help you bring out the melody notes and make it sing. Like the E-minor prelude...... pretty easy to play, but not at all easy to play beautifully.

If you are fooling around with it, be careful. Once you get the tone of those gorgeous arpeggios coming out of YOUR piano, you will be hooked.

Have fun,

Jim

I will heed your warning - and take your encouragement!

smile

[Linked Image]

Page 113 of 540 1 2 111 112 113 114 115 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission