2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 12 invisible), 1,963 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Housesitting for a friend, and now I am completely surrounded by no beer (get it, anyone? Where is Onslow when you need him?) and completely surrounded by almost total neighborhood silence. Time to listen and comment.

Opus 50
No 1 in G major - Slatterfan
Julian, it is always such a pleasure to read your writing and hear your playing. I wish we could have more of both! Thank you so much for sharing your views about this piece! I thought this mazurka was just schizophrenic or bi-polar, but when you look at it as "two friends" with their distinct personalities, it makes good sense. Such contrasts all 'round! Well played!

No 2 in Ab major - Ganddalf
Beautiful flowing lines! Gracefully played, and tender. Lovely! I like how you handle the "step into the circle" introduction, and then just fall into the dance. There is innocence, simplicity, and joy in this piece, and a touch of foreboding. To me, it feels like a grandfather dancing with a very young granddaughter. The wizened face, hardened by years, twinkling eyes looking into the future of his granddaughter, and the joy of the moment.

No 3 in C# minor - Damon
Well, *I* think this is the way it would sound if Liszt played it. laugh I mean that as a compliment, Damon, in a very metaphysical way. grin Remember this?:

[Linked Image]
[/quote]

Opus 56
No 1 in B major - Morodiene
This seems a very pastoral Mazurka. I get a sense of landscape from your playing--very verdant and undulating.

No 2 in C major - carey
This one holds together so well as a dance! I had to give this one multiple listens for sheer pleasure! Excellent playing, carey, with such fine detail and heart!

No 3 in C minor - carey
I am curious... You know that I usually like to listen to your stuff without the video bells and whistles because I like to concentrate on listening to what you are relating in a purely musical way. But this, as a "multimedia" presentation... Did you "see" this Mazurka that way when you played it? I mean, at some point in the uncovering of its mysteries, did you get the picture that Chopin was confronting his own mortality? Or, did you have a point of creative inspiration when looking for pictures, post-recording? While you're at it, I guess you can answer that same question for the Rach prelude that you posted a few months ago. It's an interesting thing to wonder--at what point in the oeuvre can we hear the composer sense that time is running against him?

Opus 59
No 1 in A minor - Ganddalf
What a complex little piece! You have certainly solved its puzzle, musically, Ganddalf! Seamless transitions through such a variety of colors and textures. I think it is your special touch that gives the piece a rather consistent, undergirding mood through all of that intriguing chromatic variety. Very nicely done!

No 2 in Ab major - musica71
Nice job with all of those musical caesurae! It all sings and flows and holds together so well, and the light-hearted whirly part at the end is adorable. Great attention to details, Judy, in one long line! As it should be.

No 3 in F# minor - jeffreyjones
Wow! Nuances!!! And accents!!! Gorgeous playing, Jeffrey! I get the feeling that this music is a part of you, it seems to come from you so naturally. Excellent playing.

Opus 63
No 1 in B major - Ganddalf
You know, Ganddalf, you really have a way with the mazurkas you have chosen. I am curious. How did you choose the ones you chose? There is a consistency of character to them. They have an unmistakeable sentimental quality to them that your touch suits perfectly. "Cogent" seems too harsh a word. "Played with integrity" as a descriptor seems too analytical. "Solid and honest" seems too dull. Your playing is rounded and tender and sweet and I feel like grandma has just offered me a glass of beet kvass for breakfast, and I don't even know if that would be Polish, and guess what? It doesn't matter. I can taste the fizzy beet juice, and I'll have some more, please. Wonderful playing!

No 2 in F minor - sandalholme
Absolutely captivating. You unfold this one so gently, and you create such breathless expectation--what is this rare gem wrapped in such delicate cloth? Oh! So beautiful!

No 3 in C# minor - FarmGirl
Very fine playing, FarmGirl! Nice phrasing, with very meaningful push-me-pull-you. Nicely done!

Opus 67
No 1 in G major - Cinnamonbear
Ah, fudge.

No 2 in G minor - FSO
Very dreamy, FSO! I was wondering from the start what you meant in the lead-up thread about "different interpretations" being accepted. This one is wonderful! I like that you provide the score, so that we can appreciate your divergence. Divergence = freshness and spontaneity. Loved it!!! Twice. No, thrice! Oh, bother. I've lost count!

No 3 in C major - pavelk
I get a very clear picture of this mazurka, pavelk! Great job with the dynamics and ornaments. Very well observed! I sensed some particularly free playing at 1:19. It was good to hear a recording from you!

No 4 in A minor - jrcallan
Drama in droves! In our house, we have a saying: Save the drama for the stage! It seems Chopin saved his drama for this mazurka! grin Very enjoyable realization, jr!

Opus 68
No 1 in C major - Beric
Talk about a completely understood mazurka! That was perfect, Beric! I had to listen to this one twice, too! (Man, I wish I could get my hands on your piano about four times a year! grin wink We could make beautiful music, together!!!)

No 2 in A minor - BruceD
Very lyrical take on this one, Bruce. A sensitive and mature rendition, for sure, for a piece that needs both sensitivity and a ripened spirit to play well. I never heard my dad play Chopin, but if I had, I think this is what it would have sounded like. It actually brought me to misty, moisty eyes, which turned to tears after I thought about it for a minute. Lovely, Bruce! Thank you! God works in mysterious ways!

No 3 in F major - Cinnamonbear
Just so everyone knows, this is the one that my dear friend ChopinAddict first recommended that I learn and play. And, just so everyone knows, this is the one that carey said is the one that most children have as their first mazurka. And, just so everyone knows, this is the one that gave me the most fits!!! I think, because I am slow, I mean, if I recall, which I do... I figured out the fingering for those fourths or fifths or whatever they are, based on a dim memory of a Handel gigue that I left behind for this e-cital sometime in September, and that I've been working on every day for about two years, and that has fourths or fifths in it, too... and I figger'd that out about a week before the e-cital (because I am slow on the upfrikkintake!), which, once I figdurdid out, made it easier to play...! Grrr!!! Did Chopin say to play Bach to learn piano good? Or was that Beethoven who said to play lots of Bach? How come Handel gets short shrift from the greats? Or did he? (Get short shrift, that is... Nevermind. As much as I like Handel, I think I figdirt that one out, too...)

No 4 in F minor - dire tonic
Eponymous mazurka, for you, dire tonic! Was this really his last composition? Apparently, he still had hope. Wow. Nicely done!

Well, because I am house-sitting, one of the jobs is to take the poopers out for a walk. I'll be back to listen and comment on these, later:

Posthumous
KK IIa No 2 in G major - SUBMITTED [but not by Poly]
KK IIa No 3 in Bb major - SUBMITTED
KK IIb No 4 in A minor - SUBMITTED
KK IIb No 5 in A minor - SUBMITTED
KK IVb No 1 in Bb major - SUBMITTED
KK IVb No 2 in D major - SUBMITTED
KK IVb No 3 in C major - SUBMITTED
KK IVb No 4 in Ab major - SUBMITTED

Thank you, all, again, for the beautiful music! laugh thumb

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I have been away, so I have been unable to comment or indeed listen to much of the recital, but thank you to Polyphonist and Derulux for organising it. It has been a great success judging by the response from the listeners. Many thanks also to those who have commented positively on my two contributions: the comments are all much appreciated.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
KK IIa No 3 in Bb major -ANZPiano
Interesting melody. Very "Home-Sweet-Home"-like. Once again, nicely played!

KK IIb No 4 in A minor - Vid
It sounds choral, Vid. Beautiful, controlled playing.

KK IIb No 5 in A minor - Morodiene
Heartfelt, thoughtful playing, Morodiene.

KK IVb No 1 in Bb major - Rupak Bhattacharya
This one made me smile the whole way through. Nicely done, Rupak!

KK IVb No 2 in D major - hreichgott
Very authoritative playing! You certainly have a mind what you mean this Mazurka to do! Great stuff, H!

KK IVb No 3 in C major -hreichgott
And again! Vervy!!! laugh Very enjoyable!

KK IVb No 4 in Ab major - FSO
Interesting, FSO... Unconventional and "of the moment," that's for sure, but I also sense deliberate artillectual shaping. Personally, I like the way you drove the sound from dreamy and unfocussed to the single clear note at the finish. Intriguing.

Poly and Derulux--Thank you, again, for coordinating this e-cital. It was so good to get to know participants through their music! Poly, I like the way you doled out the performances by the opus. That was a nice feature! It certainly kept me in suspense, kept me from getting "Mazurka'd out," and helped to pace my initial listenings and reflections. Thank you for that. And, seeing the format you chose, I now understand why you wanted to keep written introductions non-existent or as brief as possible. The coy nature of your answers to my questions in the lead-up thread to this e-cital were frustrating to me, and a simple, "I have a vision!," would have done much to allay those frustrations. If that kind of caring is something you'd like to cultivate, you can file that feedback for future reference and work it by rote.

To Brad Hoene, carey, FarmGirl, hreichgott, musica71, jeffreyjones, AZNpiano, Ganddalf, Morodiene, peterws, Tim Adrianson, and FSO, thank you so much for your specific, encouraging responses to my offerings! Chopin is a composer that I do not spend a lot of time with. But now, it looks like I will be learning a couple of waltzes...

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
FSO
You definitely get the "Comment of the year" for this . . pure theatre. Must`ve took ages. Very colourful. I`ll just have to read it in more detail!!!!

+1

FSO sees...

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the comments Andy. I was starting to think no one was listening wink

I think "verve" is probably my main goal with Chopin's Mazurkas, although some of the more subtle performances here have made me reconsider the options... I will be playing one of the more "vervy" waltzes however!

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
No 3 in C minor - carey
I am curious... You know that I usually like to listen to your stuff without the video bells and whistles because I like to concentrate on listening to what you are relating in a purely musical way. But this, as a "multimedia" presentation... Did you "see" this Mazurka that way when you played it? I mean, at some point in the uncovering of its mysteries, did you get the picture that Chopin was confronting his own mortality? Or, did you have a point of creative inspiration when looking for pictures, post-recording?

Selection of the imagery was probably more a case of creative inspiration, post-recording. BUT - this Mazurka (written six years before Chopin's death) is so unique compared to most of the others that I felt Chopin was attempting to communicate something significant through it. Certainly this is not music to be danced to. I think of it as a musical narrative or poem - full of longing and nostalgia. The piece just seems to end - without coming to an ultimate closure - much like Chopin's own brief life. Very unsettling.

While you're at it, I guess you can answer that same question for the Rach prelude that you posted a few months ago.

Rachmaninoff was only 19 when he composed the Prelude Opus 3 Mo. 2. In photos taken of him as a young man, he appeared serious yet full of hope and promise. I thought it would be interesting to juxtapose those early photos with photos of the seemingly world-weary Rach toward the end of his life.

It's an interesting thing to wonder--at what point in the oeuvre can we hear the composer sense that time is running against him?

Interesting question indeed - and something that I can definitely relate to at this stage of my life. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Op 59 no 1 played by Ganddalf:

I really enjoyed studying this mazurka. It will always belong to my core repertoire.

Op 59 no 2 played by musika71:

This piece is very awkward to play. I was highly impressed by your performance.

Op 59 no 3 played by jeffreyjones:

You handled all the technical difficulties of this Mazurka beautifully, and managed to bring out its musical qualities beautifully.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G

Opus 63 No 1 in B major - Ganddalf
You know, Ganddalf, you really have a way with the mazurkas you have chosen. I am curious. How did you choose the ones you chose? There is a consistency of character to them. They have an unmistakeable sentimental quality to them that your touch suits perfectly. "Cogent" seems too harsh a word. "Played with integrity" as a descriptor seems too analytical. "Solid and honest" seems too dull. Your playing is rounded and tender and sweet and I feel like grandma has just offered me a glass of beet kvass for breakfast, and I don't even know if that would be Polish, and guess what? It doesn't matter. I can taste the fizzy beet juice, and I'll have some more, please. Wonderful playing!

Cinnamonbear, I'm overwhelmed by your comments. Still a bit uncertain if I deserve it, you made me feel that I succeeded in expressing what I wanted through my playing. I consider the Mazurkas to be "essential Chopin" and over the years I have paid much attention to the opuses 50 through 63. Actually I put up op 50 no 3 as my first choice, but since another participant wanted this Mazurka, I chose Op 59 no 1 instead. Later I added the other two since they stayed unclaimed for a very long time. All of them are real gems with their individual character

Online Content

Originally Posted by Ganddalf
Opus 63 No 1 in B major - Ganddalf. You know, Ganddalf, you really have a way with the mazurkas you have chosen. I am curious. How did you choose the ones you chose? There is a consistency of character to them. They have an unmistakeable sentimental quality to them that your touch suits perfectly. "Cogent" seems too harsh a word. "Played with integrity" as a descriptor seems too analytical. "Solid and honest" seems too dull. Your playing is rounded and tender and sweet and I feel like grandma has just offered me a glass of beet kvass for breakfast, and I don't even know if that would be Polish, and guess what? It doesn't matter. I can taste the fizzy beet juice, and I'll have some more, please. Wonderful playing!
Cinnamonbear, I'm overwhelmed by your comments. Still a bit uncertain if I deserve it, you made me feel that I succeeded in expressing what I wanted through my playing. I consider the Mazurkas to be "essential Chopin" and over the years I have paid much attention to the opuses 50 through 63. Actually I put up op 50 no 3 as my first choice, but since another participant wanted this Mazurka, I chose Op 59 no 1 instead. Later I added the other two since they stayed unclaimed for a very long time. All of them are real gems with their individual character

You definitely deserve the kudos !! Your experience playing Mazurkas over the years clearly shows. thumb

Last edited by carey; 01/01/14 12:01 PM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Op 63 no 1 performed by Ganddalf:

I enjoyed studying this Mazurka. Nice piece that should be more frequently played.

Op 63 no 2 performed by Sandalholme:

One of my favourite Mazurkas. I enjoyed the way you expressed the contrasts of this piece. Beautiful playing!

Op 63 no 3 performed by FarmGirl:

I guess that this is the best known of the Op.63 Mazurkas. Parts of it are very difficult to play. You handled the technical challenges beautifully and still were able to play with sensitivity and expression. Very well done!

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
FarmGirl, many thanks for such generous praise. I worked hard on both pieces so I feel the recordings are somehow less noteworthy. I’m a late returner to ‘serious’ piano study – probably too late! And yes, I learnt both Mazurkas by heart, as I’ve done in most of the recent themed recitals. To be honest, I’d much prefer to be able to play with more confidence just by reading - not sight reading, but after reasonable, efficient practice, continuing to use the music as a guide while scanning the hands. I don't quite have the knack so at the moment, I feel that the only way I’m going to have a chance of playing fluently is by drumming a piece in.

Just to say, thanks to Derulux and PP for putting it together and for all compliments, particularly the effusive ones (they are the best motivators!). Some wonderful performances here have whetted my appetite for more Mazurkas. Looking forward to the Nocturnes.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Ganddalf, thank you for your kind words. Yeah the ending section was difficult. I had to try many fingerlings and switch hands etc.

Dire tonic, I wish I could memorize like you. I tend to perform a piece longer than it should be (getting confused similar but different area). I would like to memorize the nocturne. I will see.

Poly and Derulux, thanks a lot for putting this together. I enjoyed the e-cital and decided to record more now. I just ordered tripod (my recorder does not stand up well by itself). Until i heard the recording, I was not aware that I was slowing down so much in the middle section and failed to get back to the original tempo after the run! I will continue to take pictures until i can sit still and play.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Mazurka in G major, Opus 67 No 1 Performed by Cinnamonbear

What a beautiful performance! So joyful and elegant! Listening to this really raised my spirits. You demonstrate a very good understanding of this music. Nice tempo, fine dynamics, just flawlessly played.

Mazurka in G minor, Opus 67 No 2 Performed by FSO

You succeeded in expressing all the different moods of this fine mazurka. It was very enjoyable to listen to.

Mazurka in C major, Opus 67 No 3 Performed by Pavel.K

I recognize this piece from my first Chopin album (got it about 45 years ago). I remember I tried to play it, but was never able to do it with the expression and musicality you showed in your performance.

Mazurka in A minor, Opus 67 No 4 Performed by jrcallan

Another beautiful piece with great contrasts. I have never heard it before, but I enjoyed listening to your playing. Very nice!

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Mazurka in C major, Opus 68 No 1 Performed by Beric

Fine performance! You make your piano sound very nice. I appreciate your folkloristic approach to this piece.

Mazurka in A minor, Opus 68 No 2 Performed by BruceD

I particularly noticed your flexibility in tempo and nice dynamics. Very enjoyable to listen to.

Mazurka in F major, Opus 68 No 3 Performed by Cinnamonbear

You really managed to give shape to this little peculiar piece. The middle section reminds me a bit of Grieg.

Mazurka in F minor, Opus 68 No 4 Performed by dire tonic

Impressive performance! You have an excellent touch and display great musicality in your playing. I never heard this piece before and didn't know that it was Chopin's last composition.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Mazurka in Bb major, KK IIa No 3 Performed by AZNpiano

Beautiful, flowing performance of this nice mazurka. Flawlessly played.

Mazurka in A minor, KK IIb No 4 Performed by Vid

I enjoyed the way you captured the mood of this piece. Sad, but very beautiful melody.

Mazurka in A minor, KK IIb No 5 Performed by Morodiene

I’m always impressed by your performances. Very expressive playing of the lower voice melody. Enjoyed it very much.

Mazurka in Bb major, KK IVb No 1 Performed by Rupak Bhattacharya

Nice, dancing piece. You gave it a really fine personal touch. Well done!

Mazurka in D major, KK IVb No 2 and KK IVb No 3 Performed by hreichgott

This is Chopin the way I would expect it from a professional pianist. Just excellent!

Mazurka in Ab major, KK IVb No 4 Performed by FSO

Beautiful final of this project! I enjoyed your playing.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Some final thoughts after having listened to all Mazurkas and given my comments:
Being part of this has almost been like being a student again doing group work together with other students as well as some highly qualified instructors. I have learnt a lot about this great music and also made some progress in my own playing. Thanks to all of you. I'm proud of being part of this community. Great thanks also to the organisers who made this event possible.

Online Content

Being part of this has almost been like being a student again doing group work together with other students as well as some highly qualified instructors. I have learnt a lot about this great music and also made some progress in my own playing.

A very interesting perspective that really hasn't been expressed here before. I think you've hit the nail on head !!

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Mazurka in Bb major, KK IIa No 3 Performed by AZNpiano

Beautiful, flowing performance of this nice mazurka. Flawlessly played.

Mazurka in A minor, KK IIb No 4 Performed by Vid

I enjoyed the way you captured the mood of this piece. Sad, but very beautiful melody.

Mazurka in A minor, KK IIb No 5 Performed by Morodiene

I’m always impressed by your performances. Very expressive playing of the lower voice melody. Enjoyed it very much.

Mazurka in Bb major, KK IVb No 1 Performed by Rupak Bhattacharya

Nice, dancing piece. You gave it a really fine personal touch. Well done!

Mazurka in D major, KK IVb No 2 and KK IVb No 3 Performed by hreichgott

This is Chopin the way I would expect it from a professional pianist. Just excellent!

Mazurka in Ab major, KK IVb No 4 Performed by FSO

Beautiful final of this project! I enjoyed your playing.

Thank you very much Ganddalf! And thank you for taking the time to listen carefully to every single performance and offer feedback. We did create quite a lengthy recital, didn't we smile

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by hreichgott

Thank you very much Ganddalf! And thank you for taking the time to listen carefully to every single performance and offer feedback. We did create quite a lengthy recital, didn't we smile

Lengthy, but interesting. Look forward to the next event (Nocturnes and waltzes). My contribution will be small, but I expect lots of nice music to listen to.

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Thank you everyone for listening to my submission and to FSO, Tim Adrianson, Cinnamonbear, peterws, Derulux, FarmGirl, Morodiene, Ganddalf, Dipsy, hreighgott and ec for your specific comments and well-wishes to my mum. And extra thanks to dire tonic for all his help with this piece. Honestly I was really nervous about posting anything in this forum because of all the accomplished players here. I really appreciate the lovely, thoughtful comments posted here about my piece. *~*~*~*~*

Morodiene, I did play for my mum but she was quite unwell so I’m not sure she got a proper chance to listen to it. I will definitely play for her again when she is feeling better. heart

hreighgott, thanks for the explanation about the fioritura! Perhaps I will start a thread at some point about how to play them well. I notice them in many of Chopin’s works (ex. Op. 9 No 3) but struggle to make them sound light and improvised.

Sorry for this late reply, and in fact I still haven’t had a chance to listen to most of the entries. I look forward to doing that this weekend. Thanks to everyone for sharing their hard work! smile

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission