2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
stourot Offline OP
OP Offline
S
hello,

yesterday y bought a roland fp50 and i have something strange. When i connect my external speakers, the built in speakers are not desactivated.....the sound of the piano is in the internal and external speakers....

somebody knows how to disable them ?

thanks

Roland FP50
E
E
Hello
how do you connect your external speakers ? using RCA or Jack 6.5 cables ?
I had same trouble with a casio PX350
just plugging a headphone should do the trick (or Jack adaptator on the headphone connector)

Music is a lifestyle
(Happy Yamaha N2 and Roland FP90 owner)
S
stourot Offline OP
OP Offline
S
i connect with jack 6.35

its very strange......

i will test with the jack in headphone

Roland FP50
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by enzo.sandrolini
Hello
how do you connect your external speakers ? using RCA or Jack 6.5 cables ?
I had same trouble with a casio PX350
just plugging a headphone should do the trick (or Jack adaptator on the headphone connector)

Or just turning the volume down to zero on the piano. Many times (Usually) the volume of the lineouts is not affected by volume control of the piano.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
S
stourot Offline OP
OP Offline
S
i have tested with a jack into the headphone conneçtor its ok.

i have sent a mail to roland europe support to have more informations.

thanks.

Roland FP50
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There was a day, not to long ago that Roland actually spent the extra dollar to include an on/off switch, like on FP-4. I guess the top management isn't making enough money these days. Really, how much extra can it cost? DF's!

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Agreed, 36251. It's the little things that make life so much easier, particularly when gigging.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
G
G
Is there any news? I am having the same problem: I want to deactivate the internal speakers when I plug in external ones. This doesn't work so far. Also, when I put a plug into the headphone output, both the internal and the external speakers are muted, so this doesn't help me either.
The only option that I see is to connect my external speakers to my headphone output. Are there any other alternatives?

One short other question: When I play e.g. the normal concert grand, all notes (both high and low) come from both speakers basically equally strong. I would have expected that low notes come predominantly from the left speaker while high notes come from the right speaker. When I listen carefully via headphones, I have the impression that this is also the case on the FP-50 but only to a very minor extent. When I listen via the internal speakers, there is basically no such impression. Is there any way to broaden the stereo impression somehow?

Best regards and thanks in advance,
Stefan

Last edited by Gretel; 01/05/14 05:11 PM.

W.Hoffmann T122, Roland FP-50, Roland RD-64
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I'm really surprised this speaker off option was removed. Having to use the headphone jack?? Really?? On an instrument that is supposed to be for gigging?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
C
Has anyone found a benefit to the FP-50 over the FP-4? It looks like theuser interface has gotten worse, and I hear the keyboard isn't as good. Has anyone tried the two of them?

Yamaha YC88, Kawai CA93, Yamaha MODX8, EV ZXA1
B
B
Depends how handy you are, but if you opened it up, it wouldn't be that difficult to simply put a switch in-line in one of the wires that is connected directly to the speakers. May be lucky and find a single wire that at some point controls the sound to both speakers and put the switch in that, otherwise it'd be one per side.

No, it's far from ideal, but it would work and it wouldn't be particularly hard to do... if you're any good with a pair of pliers, wirecutters and a screwdriver.

Kawai CN24 & Roland VR700.
Straight up jackin'! ;0)
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Coker
It looks like theuser interface has gotten worse, and I hear the keyboard isn't as good. Has anyone tried the two of them?

Yes. Roland giveth and Roland taketh away. That is my experience. The SN APs are more sophisticated than the older non-SN ones, but the earlier versions are less muddy. The FP-50 does have the basic AP samples hidden away in the "other" bank, but they lack even damper resonance. The speakers were less powerful in the FP-4, but also clearer sounding. The FP-4 also had visual reference for the rotary control, the very useful speaker switch, more direct access to sound categories, a faster (but less precise) action, and a more robust yet lighter chassis. My guess is that Roland found the FP-4 taking away too many sales from the RD range, and chose to redress the balance by making the new FPs less desirable in a "pro" context.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
G
G
Originally Posted by blackspaven
Depends how handy you are, but if you opened it up, it wouldn't be that difficult to simply put a switch in-line in one of the wires that is connected directly to the speakers.

It seems that this would be the only option, however I bought the piano about one week ago and I don't want to void the warranty.

Concerning the problem with the one or two wires for the speaker: There are so-called dual pole switches, which are basically switching two independent circuits via one button, so one of these guys would do the job even if there isn't one single wire that could switch both speakers. I am a bit experienced with soldering. If I would do it, I would probably also try to install a potentiometer to make the LEDs on the front panel dimmable, even though that's probably not so easily possible. However the main problem is the warranty...

C
C
After using the FP-4 for gigging many years, I found that the internal speakers were actually quite useful for giving me a way to monitor myself while the main sound was coming out of my piano amp. However, perhaps you could turn the main volume in the keyboard down and turn the external speakers up. I'd hate to open up the keyboard and void the warrantee.

M
M
I hear you. I, for example, loved my P120 for the good onboard speakers and particularly the on/off-switch. After the p120, things have gotten worse...no switch and baaad speakers on the P140, better but not great speakers and still no switch on the P155. WTF are they thinking? smile Onboard speakers are a great addition and useful most of the time, one needs to mute them from time to time though. Would it cost really that much to implement this function in all these pianos with internal speakers?

Yamaha C3 | CP88 | CP4 | P-121 | Sauter Upright
C
C
Not only a on/off switch is necessary, but also a simple routing would be helpful. A lot of keyboards have inputs and these go directly to the speakers and to the output of the keyboard at the same time. It would be great to be able to use the internal speakers as a monitor for smaller gigs, but this makes it impossible because it causes a loop with the input signal.

Cheers,
Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200
C
C
Cmin, can you explain the loop problem a little more?

Also, this is a little kludgey, but might there be a way to simply cover the speakers if you don't want to hear them?

G
G
Originally Posted by Coker
Also, this is a little kludgey, but might there be a way to simply cover the speakers if you don't want to hear them?

Even though I have to say that this is probably not the most advanced and polished solution to the problem, it's probably good enough - and I haven't thought about it myself :-)
Turning the external speaker fully up and the output of the keyboard (and by this also the internal speakers) only as up as necessary results in both internal and external speakers being roughly equally strong. If I now cover the internal ones, I should mostly hear the external speakers. That should be good enough.
Furthermore, now I got used to the sound of the interal speakers some more and have found an EQ setting which makes the speaker a bit more tolerable, so all in all I guess I'm quite happy now. Of course, a simple switch would still have been the solution #1. Thanks for your input!

G
G
Originally Posted by Gretel
Also, when I put a plug into the headphone output, both the internal and the external speakers are muted, so this doesn't help me either.
The only option that I see is to connect my external speakers to my headphone output.

Hi all,

don't know why this wasn't working until now, but now if I put a plug/adaptor into the headphone output, only the internal speakers are muted but the output for external speakers is still active.
So, in order to mute my internal speakers, I just put an adaptor into the headphone output.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Gretel
don't know why this wasn't working until now, but now if I put a plug/adaptor into the headphone output, only the internal speakers are muted but the output for external speakers is still active.
So, in order to mute my internal speakers, I just put an adaptor into the headphone output.

The most common use for the headphone jack is for private playing (to use the board without bothering other people), so it doesn't make sense to not be able to disable the internal speakers. It's been do-able in any board I've seen that had internal speakers... there was either a switch to turn off the speakers, or they automatically turned off when you plugged something into the headphone jack.

Personally, that feature has gotten in my way! I like to have the speakers running while I'm playing at a gig, because I feel the vibrations in my fingers and it makes the piano playing experience feel more authentic. I have occasionally gigged with a board where I had to use the headphone out to get to my amp, and was annoyed that that meant shutting off the internal speakers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission