2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RinTin Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Sounds like any other opera singer.

RinTin Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon

Oh right.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by rintincop
Originally Posted by Damon

Oh right.

It took me a while to appreciate her genius, but this really sealed it for me. I have never heard anyone sing this horridly difficult aria with such insolent ease... and -if you know what is going on- such understanding.

Ernani is a relatively early Verdi opera, but all the ingredients were there, Il Trovatore couldn't be too far in the future, just nine years!

Jason
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
It's always fodder for heated - and sometimes irrational - debate when anyone has the temerity to claim that someone is the "greatest" in any field of artistic endeavor.

There are many greats; there are no measurable criteria for determining "the greatest" except informed critical judgment combined with personal taste. It's the latter that makes the statement problematic.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
^ Bruce, did you even bother to listen to the Callas recording I linked? Have you heard a better recording?

That is what I was talking about.

Jason
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by argerichfan
^ Bruce, did you even bother to listen to the Callas recording I linked? Have you heard a better recording?

That is what I was talking about.

I listened to the recording in the OP's link and the "Ernani, Ernani, involami". I don't deny that she was a great singer; I was simply refuting the unverifiable claim of the thread's title "the greatest singer ever." Did you even bother to read my post?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
RinTin Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Guys, it'a a figure of speech, not a literal provable thing. Callas didn't have the greatest sound, but she was profoundly sublime in the category of dramatic emotion.

W
W
I agree with Bruce. One can't say she's the greatest ever. In order to say that, one would have to listen every singer in the world and I certainly don't have the time to do that. And I don't think that anyone on this planet has ever done that.

However Callas was great. She's right up there.

Last edited by worov; 01/05/14 05:40 AM.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Guys, it'a a figure of speech, not a literal provable thing. Callas didn't have the greatest sound, but she was profoundly sublime in the category of dramatic emotion.

Whatever...what I don't get is why anyone would start a thread about her here out of the blue, with no hint about the motivation for it, or anything helping to establish some kind of direction for the thread to take. It's not as if the people here who might be interested don't already know, after all - she's not news.

It actually might be interesting to talk about whether anything about her art is transferable to piano playing, and how that might work, in a wordless medium.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Which is basically Bruce's point I think.. you didn't even establish criteria.

-Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr

It actually might be interesting to talk about whether anything about her art is transferable to piano playing, and how that might work, in a wordless medium.

My mind immediately went on Lisitsa but I don't think that's quite the same thing...

Maybe a comparison could be Shostakovich's compositions? Such genius and stirring emotion in at times a hit-over-the-head directly musical (and not-at-all traditionally emotional or aurally sweet) package. What beauty nonetheless. Gorgeous.

-Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Ridicolosamente
Originally Posted by wr

Maybe a comparison could be Shostakovich's compositions? Such genius and stirring emotion in at times a hit-over-the-head directly musical (and not-at-all traditionally emotional or aurally sweet) package. What beauty nonetheless. Gorgeous.

However, the thing with Callas wasn't about composition, but about interpretation of existing compositions, and that is what I had in mind when I posted.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission