2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
My Whittier full size upright was very professionally tuned a few months ago and overall is holding pretty well. But not so much the bass. I replaced all the bass strings about a year ago, and all the hammers, shanks and hammer butts in the entire piano. I have the ability to half-ass tune a string that has slipped badly. but make no extravagant claims to my tuning expertise or even an understanding of beats, intervals etc. I have a couple of programs on my Android phone of which the more advanced is "Piano Tuner." I feel pretty good about using the phone to keep most of the bass notes in the ball park, but on the very bottom A, A#, C, C#, D the program reads nothing consistent and the program is useless. I guess it comes with the territory that these notes have lots of inharmonicity (sp??) Even with new strings this is a full size upright, not a 9 foot Bosendorfer! It seems depending on which harmonics your ear zeros in on, the note can sound a little sharp and a little flat both, so there is inevitably compromise. My technique is to play the bottom note and alternately the note an octave higher and just go for whatever sounds the most like a clean octave.

Is this a reasonable approach? At least I do not feel a need to avoid these very lowest notes like I did before the new set off bass strings, and also good news is, the bass is just about stable now.

Don in Austin thanks you in advance for your comments!

Don, playing the blues in Austin, Texas on a 48" family heirloom Steinway upright, 100 year old, Starr, ca. 100 years old full size upright, Yamaha U30. Yamaha electric.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Don that is a usual first step (checking by octaves) and gets you in the ballpark. Depending on where the scale break in to the wound strings ends up, I also might reference 3rds,4ths, 5ths and 10ths. When those get to be a bit too active with extraneous harmonics I drop the closer intervals and also use a flat 14th to offset the IH and use it all the way down.

If your bass strings are still moving about are you happy with the tightness of the pins?

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder
Chief Instrument Technician, Director, Chancel Arts
Church Music Professional
AA Music Arts 2001, BM Organ, Choral 2005

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Your approach is reasonable and your observation that Inharmonicity is a factor is very correct! For the very lowest notes, one technique can be (after the whole rest of the piano has been tuned) is to hold the damper pedal wide open. Then flatten the string to be tuned until it is obviously too flat, while playing a single octave with the note to be tuned and the note an octave above it, then sharpen it just until it seems to ring true with all of the rest of the strings that are already tuned above it while playing that single octave.

This could end up with you tuning the low note a bit flatter than you really want but if so, return to it and sharpen it a bit until you hear a nice resonance.

The problem you have identified is that the upper harmonics (technicians call them "partials"), are very sharp to the fundamental tone (the pitch you think of the note as being). The higher the harmonic, the sharper it is!

This means that the final, pleasing "resonance" that you will hear is actually a conflict between the higher harmonics (partials) of the lower string compared to the higher string. There is no way to get all of the harmonics to match and get a completely "pure" sounding octave in the low Bass. The mis-match of higher harmonics need not sound bad or "out of tune", however.

What you will be listening for will be a compromise between a low "rumble" and a very faint, rapid beat that will be perceived more like a pleasing resonance than something that is out of tune.

Every pianist will have his or her own preference in that range. Basically, the flatter you tune those lowest strings, the more depth in tone you may experience. The flatter you tune them, the "larger" your piano will sound!

By contrast, the sharper you tune those lowest strings, the more beautiful "resonance" you may perceive. You have to be the final judge of what sounds right to your ear.

In the link below, I offer you an example of where I tuned a Mason & Hamlin 7 foot piano to have the maximum possible stretch in the lowest octaves. Some technicians immediately condemned it but others rather liked it. Listen and hear what you think:

https://app.box.com/s/4e01a29d1fcddd5e59ef

I am sure you will hear how it made the piano sound "larger" than it is but if that did not please you, you will want to make your lower octaves "tighter".

Good luck in your experimentation!

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Bill Bremmer RPT
Your approach is reasonable and your observation that Inharmonicity is a factor is very correct! For the very lowest notes, one technique can be (after the whole rest of the piano has been tuned) is to hold the damper pedal wide open. Then flatten the string to be tuned until it is obviously too flat, while playing a single octave with the note to be tuned and the note an octave above it, then sharpen it just until it seems to ring true with all of the rest of the strings that are already tuned above it while playing that single octave.

This could end up with you tuning the low note a bit flatter than you really want but if so, return to it and sharpen it a bit until you hear a nice resonance.

The problem you have identified is that the upper harmonics (technicians call them "partials"), are very sharp to the fundamental tone (the pitch you think of the note as being). The higher the harmonic, the sharper it is!

This means that the final, pleasing "resonance" that you will hear is actually a conflict between the higher harmonics (partials) of the lower string compared to the higher string. There is no way to get all of the harmonics to match and get a completely "pure" sounding octave in the low Bass. The mis-match of higher harmonics need not sound bad or "out of tune", however.

What you will be listening for will be a compromise between a low "rumble" and a very faint, rapid beat that will be perceived more like a pleasing resonance than something that is out of tune.

Every pianist will have his or her own preference in that range. Basically, the flatter you tune those lowest strings, the more depth in tone you may experience. The flatter you tune them, the "larger" your piano will sound!

By contrast, the sharper you tune those lowest strings, the more beautiful "resonance" you may perceive. You have to be the final judge of what sounds right to your ear.

In the link below, I offer you an example of where I tuned a Mason & Hamlin 7 foot piano to have the maximum possible stretch in the lowest octaves. Some technicians immediately condemned it but others rather liked it. Listen and hear what you think:

I am sure you will hear how it made the piano sound "larger" than it is but if that did not please you, you will want to make your lower octaves "tighter".

That sounds good to me, Bill.

You wouldn't happen to have a recording of the lower
octaves "tighter", on the same piano? That would
be interesting to compare the recordings side by side.

This makes me excited to try 8:4 in the bass
in Tunelab on my next tuning, and perhaps 4:2
in the treble as well. Someone mentioned that
they reserve the higher bass stretch for pianos
6' or larger. So I would guess 8:4 in the bass
might be bad sounding in a spinet?

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by SMHaley
Don that is a usual first step (checking by octaves) and gets you in the ballpark. Depending on where the scale break in to the wound strings ends up, I also might reference 3rds,4ths, 5ths and 10ths. When those get to be a bit too active with extraneous harmonics I drop the closer intervals and also use a flat 14th to offset the IH and use it all the way down.

If your bass strings are still moving about are you happy with the tightness of the pins?
The bass is becpomine more and stable and I don't expect to touch it up again for some time. My tuner/tech friend told me -- in a very nice way -- that some of the stability of the new bass strings depended on how they were installed. It was my first time. I drove a few pins in a little and, if anything, I think they might be a little too tight. I checked with a torque wrench and I don't think there is a problem. (The Webber is the sad story -- put all new hammers and hammer butts on it and it doesn't hold a tune too well.)

You lost me with the flat 14th, etc! smile

Don, playing the blues in Austin, Texas on a 48" family heirloom Steinway upright, 100 year old, Starr, ca. 100 years old full size upright, Yamaha U30. Yamaha electric.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Blues beater
Originally Posted by SMHaley

The bass is becpomine more and stable and I don't expect to touch it up again for some time. My tuner/tech friend told me -- in a very nice way -- that some of the stability of the new bass strings depended on how they were installed. It was my first time. I drove a few pins in a little and, if anything, I think they might be a little too tight. I checked with a torque wrench and I don't think there is a problem. (The Webber is the sad story -- put all new hammers and hammer butts on it and it doesn't hold a tune too well.)

You lost me with the flat 14th, etc! smile

Oh well, I haven't yet converted to using a machine. Using essentially a flat 7th one can tune the bass with a rapid beating interval that allows a smooth progression of stretch. I haven't seen the technique discussed recently.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder
Chief Instrument Technician, Director, Chancel Arts
Church Music Professional
AA Music Arts 2001, BM Organ, Choral 2005

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

Thank you Bill for this reply.

I just experienced the same yesterday when I retuned my piano for the cold season. This time, I ended up choosing a slightly wider stretch - and thought a few of the lowest strings sounded better almost 10 cents flatter than the "theory" shown on the ETD.

Also, I think your tuning sounds superb everywhere (whole register)!

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Thats the one I use. You want to hear the low c to b flat below mid c interval beat like a major third. I start using it when I hit the single strings.

Most professional electronic tuning programs result in a sharper pitch than this test produces in the low bass.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
OT, but in general, I hear unexpected intervals, and most notably between 1:14-1:35.

Were these meant to be tuned that way?

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O

That's what I do, but since I tune RW, what the heck do I know?

(I slay myself...)

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Remember that the very lowest notes are very close together. The very lowest note, A-27.5, is 1.6 Hz below Bb, which is 1.7 Hz below B. Divide those intervals into 100 cents, and you are talking really tiny intervals.

Tuning by beats is very tricky. One has to test lots of different intervals and find a good compromise. It takes practice and experience, two things electronics do not profit from.

Semipro Tech
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Hakki
OT, but in general, I hear unexpected intervals, and most notably between 1:14-1:35.

Hakki,

If you are referring to the short clip I posted, it is because the piano in not in ET.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Paul678

That sounds good to me, Bill.

You wouldn't happen to have a recording of the lower
octaves "tighter", on the same piano? That would
be interesting to compare the recordings side by side.

This makes me excited to try 8:4 in the bass
in Tunelab on my next tuning, and perhaps 4:2
in the treble as well. Someone mentioned that
they reserve the higher bass stretch for pianos
6' or larger. So I would guess 8:4 in the bass
might be bad sounding in a spinet?

The piano you heard was Grandpianoman's who writes frequently on this list. He has recordings of that same piano tuned in many different ways. I am sure he would be happy to provide you with a smorgasbord of tuning styles if you ask him.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by OperaTenor

(I slay myself...)

I never said you tuned RW. You are innocent of that until proven guilty with a video of how you tune a temperament. Do you dare?

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
G
G
Tuning the bass section is not rocket science. I like testing with double octaves, and triple ocataves and thirds, and tenths. But if you are experienced you will trust your ear to tune a simple octave. The tuner's job is easier when it's a big grand piano. Not so much when a whitney spinet

Making the world a better sounding place, one piano at a time...
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by OperaTenor

(I slay myself...)

I never said you tuned RW. You are innocent of that until proven guilty with a video of how you tune a temperament. Do you dare?

One of these days I will. Just a little bad humor on my part...

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member
How do the pros tune the very lowest notes? Not sure about "the pros" part, but at first, it is only with great difficulty. Bill Bremmer points out the reasons and the challenges. With much education and practice it is completely doable if you possess the patience and the requisite aurally sensitivities to match or balance these rather wild partials in tandem with octaves and intervals. An ETD will be of little use here. However, a mentor would be of great help. Contact the PTG chapter in your area for a good recommendation. Live online steam classes are available too. These may be more convenient for you. Best wishes.

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by bkw58
An ETD will be of little use here.

That is the very reason why, even though I now customarily use an ETD, I turn it off when I am tuning the Bass. It is of no use to me, either with a calculated program or by direct interval.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Hakki

Hakki,

If you are referring to the short clip I posted, it is because the piano in not in ET.

Yes, the intervals at that clip was not familiar to me.

Thanks for the clarification.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bkw58
An ETD will be of little use here.

That is the very reason why, even though I now customarily use an ETD, I turn it off when I am tuning the Bass. It is of no use to me, either with a calculated program or by direct interval.

I might agree with this if it were changed to (most) ETDs will be of little use here... I don't know about Dirk's, but I've finally developed and shared a tuning style on the Verituner forum that emulates the open pedal tuning approach in the bass. Gotten good feedback from techs trying it out on all pianos - big or small. Other ETDs that use a single partial, smooth curve approach aren't able to use the same methods.

Ron Koval

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission