2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, 9 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
It was a Roland HPi-50. I was in a music store about 40 miles from home, and the salesman allowed me to noodle around on it for awhile. He then demo'ed a number of the built-in features.

Having no other DP expereince other than my Yamaha DGX-640, I was impressed with the improved feel and action of the HPi-50. I also liked the large clear LCD screen for displaying scores, etc. I didn't find some of the other features, like the built-in Lessons module very useful to me (especially, the videogame-like ones that are geared towards children). But, overall I was impressed. The salesman and I started to (hypothetically) talk about price, etc. (They take trades.) But I'm afraid that the HPi-50 is still a bit more than my budget would allow. (Listed Price was $4600).

Nevertheless, this experience demonstrated to me (for the first time) what is often discussed in these forums -- the importance of good "action", and how it differs between a lower-end DP like mine and a higher-end DP like this one.

So, my question is - what other DP models have comparable action to the HPi-50, along with a large-ish LCD screen - but at a significantly reduced price - (say $2000-$2500)? I'm not saying that I'm ready to buy/upgrade yet, but the more info I can research, the better.

Thanks!

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
If you forget about the large LCD screen. You'll cut a bunch of money.

As far as keyboard performance, sound, quality. Ok... I'll stand up to the plate of contention with my Ingrid. (she's a VPC)

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I`ve seen several of these Rolands, or their predecessors, on Ebay, Some have a really big screen mounted on/into the music stand which is a huge aid to convenient recording and other functionallity. Now, these instruments will be of similar practical purpose as your DGX, but a few steps ahead, as it were. Like 60 Watts per channel output instead of 6, and more tracks for recording to. I was tempted, but really have no need for the upgrade although I`d like a better playing action than the DGX provides and of course, a somewhat more tweakable piano.

All things considered, and I have tried top end piano actions on the most complex stuff I do (lol), I did get an upgrade on my 630. I got the 650. I don`t regret it; it`s a cracker. The piano sounds so good I haven`t had the inclination to use pianoteq or indeed any of the hundreds of sounds in there . .

Have fun!

Last edited by peterws; 12/29/13 05:20 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
W
W
If you do not need a console piano then the Roland RD-700NX stage piano has a nice action (IMO). You will need external amplification and speakers though.

willf
N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by peterws
I`ve seen several of these Rolands, or their predecessors, on Ebay, Some have a really big screen mounted on/into the music stand which is a huge aid to convenient recording and other functionallity. Now, these instruments will be of similar practical purpose as your DGX, but a few steps ahead, as it were. Like 60 Watts per channel output instead of 6, and more tracks for recording to. I was tempted, but really have no need for the upgrade although I`d like a better playing action than the DGX provides and of course, a somewhat more tweakable piano.

All things considered, and I have tried top end piano actions on the most complex stuff I do (lol), I did get an upgrade on my 630. I got the 650. I don`t regret it; it`s a cracker. The piano sounds so good I haven`t had the inclination to use pianoteq or indeed any of the hundreds of sounds in there . .

Have fun!

Hmm...That's a thought (and a lower-cost option). How different is the 650's action compared to your 630 (or my 640, if you know)? I really liked the idea of the large LCD in the music stand though, and the DGX's don't have that.

I wish that I had more DP dealers within an easy drive, so that I could try different models out first-hand, but I don't. None in my town (except a dealer who stocks low-end Yamahas) and the nearest one with a little variety (where I played the Roland) is 40-45 miles away.

Thanks.

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
The action`s the same. The screen on the DGX is adequate for purpose, mind. I`ve tried out high end keyboards as you read; some are really good, others not so. But it makes very little difference to my musicality, if any. And one thing to consider about the GHS action fitted to the lower end Yamahas - they`re very light. At the edge of the keyboard that is! Havin` said that, the touch response is electric. Those notes really ring out. And you can de tune it as much or little as you like, to avoid that "clinical" sound most DPs have . .

Now, when are Yamaha going to put a Kawai keyboard in there? Keep everybody happy . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission