Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
150 registered members (anotherscott, Agent88, bennevis, ahinton, AlphaBravoCharlie, ajames, AssociateX, 33 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bought a Kawai CA 65 (compared Roland and Yamaha) #2001959
12/20/12 02:07 AM
12/20/12 02:07 AM
Denmark
C
CarstenB Offline OP
CarstenB  Offline OP
C

Denmark
Hi

Went to the piano shop on Saturday to try 3 pianos. The Kawai CA 65, Roland HP 507 and Yamaha CLP 470.
I actually ended up trying many more including a Steinway Grand Piano to 430.000 kr (Danish) (~ 57600 Euro or $76200). Nothing special about that piano…couldn’t even change the sound :-)

I brought my son (11 years old) who also plays piano. I must say we were very excited about the Kawai CA 65 when we tried it. The keyboard is excellent with the right feel as a real piano, almost similar to the Steinway and the sound was really great. We then tried the Roland HP 507 and found quickly that the keyboard was far from a real piano. The keys were too heavy and the touch and feel just wasn’t right for us. The sound and pedals were good though.

We then tried the Yamaha CLP 470. We found that the keyboard was better and more natural than the Roland HP 507, but far from the experience we had with the Kawai. The sound and pedals were also good on the Yamaha.

We went back to the Kawai CA 65 and tried it again, and it was like coming home! :-) The shop also had a Kawai CS 6 which is a beautiful piano. More beautiful than the CA 65, but the keyboard was not as good as the CA 65, so we ended up buying the CA 65.

It was delivered yesterday. My daughter (15 years old) couldn’t come to the shop with us (she’s the best piano player in my family) and when she tried it she liked it so much. It had the right feeling and great sound she said. I also played loooong time yesterday and I like the piano so much. The sound and feel is so perfect. The pedals also work very well. It’s the right piano for us.

The shop offered the possibility to upgrade to a Kawai CA 95 late January when they have the piano available in the shop again. I should just pay the price difference and it would be mine. It’s hard to imagine that the sound of the CA 95 can be much better than the CA 65, but they told me it was….hmm…

Just wanted to share my experience with you. Now you could get the idea that the Roland HP 507 and Yamaha CLP 470 are bad pianos. They are not. They are also great and would be a huge upgrade to the 5 year old Casio PX-800 that has served us well until now. I could also have been very happy with the Roland or the Yamaha, so the difference is minor, but it is there. It’s just our opinion, so before you buy I really recommend you go try the pianos just as we did.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Bought a Kawai CA 65 (compared Roland and Yamaha) [Re: CarstenB] #2001968
12/20/12 02:48 AM
12/20/12 02:48 AM
K
Kenboi2 Offline
Kenboi2  Offline
K

congratulations on your new Kawai CA65. It's in fact a much better piano compare to yamaha and roland. Trust me, I have tried those out myself at the store. Wait until you try out the CA95, you will love it to death. To me, it's the best digital piano, period.

Re: Bought a Kawai CA 65 (compared Roland and Yamaha) [Re: CarstenB] #2001971
12/20/12 03:18 AM
12/20/12 03:18 AM
Europe (Northern Spain)
W
Wuffski Offline
500 Post Club Member
Wuffski  Offline
500 Post Club Member
W

Europe (Northern Spain)
Congratulations, what nice holiday season you have got now ahead of you!!

I am surprised that you found the keys of the 507 too heavy in comparison with the CA65. When I compared instruments, it was just the otherway round! Hmmm, I observed ´strange´ things like this in several other situations, as well. I am more and more convinced, that keyboards are individually not always of the same feel in the same model (here not speaking about a particular brand but in general). I really think that everybody should be advised to touch the individual instrument of interest, and not just purchase one because it is the same model as seen elsewhere. So. you did it just right. It seems unbelievable, because DP parts are kind of well automized (mass) production. But reports showing up in the forum really point to a certain variance being around.

Re: Bought a Kawai CA 65 (compared Roland and Yamaha) [Re: CarstenB] #2002007
12/20/12 06:00 AM
12/20/12 06:00 AM
St Paul Minnesota USA
M
McBuster Offline
McBuster  Offline
M

St Paul Minnesota USA
Congratulations on your CA65.

If you only use headphones, there is no difference between the CA65/95. If, you play at volumes less than 1/3, not much difference. At 1/3 - 1/2 and above? Major difference. That is when the soundboard and construction of the speaker enclosure and the additional speakers and wattage comes alive.

It was nice of the dealer to offer a TradeUp for you.

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
Sailor, Consultant, Gourmet, Dreamer
(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater 1000s of deals on Gear
Re: Bought a Kawai CA 65 (compared Roland and Yamaha) [Re: CarstenB] #2002018
12/20/12 06:54 AM
12/20/12 06:54 AM
Belgium
S
StefaanBelgium Offline
StefaanBelgium  Offline
S

Belgium
Welcome to the club smile

Kawai CA65
Re: Bought a Kawai CA 65 (compared Roland and Yamaha) [Re: CarstenB] #2002029
12/20/12 07:27 AM
12/20/12 07:27 AM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Offline

Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Carsten, thank you for posting your positive words about the CA65. I'm sure that it will bring you and your family many years of musical enjoyment.

Congrats!

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
Re: Bought a Kawai CA 65 (compared Roland and Yamaha) [Re: CarstenB] #2002115
12/20/12 11:54 AM
12/20/12 11:54 AM
D
dzhenb Offline
dzhenb  Offline
D

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forums. I ordered the Kawai CA65 yesterday, and it will be delivered on Saturday. I haven't played piano regularly for about 13 years - mainly because I've lived in apartments for that time. Every so often my husband and I would discuss getting me a DP but I was sure that 1) they were too expensive and 2) I wouldn't be able to find one that felt close enough to an acoustic piano. Was very pleasantly surprised by a number of pianos in the store, but after I was shown this piano all the others were forgotten. I played it for about 4 hours all up (was lucky to go to the store at quiet times, so I really had my pick of pianos to try). The second time I went in with a list of tests for it and, to my mind at least, it stood up to all of them. Included in this was playing p, pp. I had found this difficult, like others in the forum, but eventually got the hang of it. My technique, never the best, was pretty rusty, but after a few hours of playing I was creating a fairly acceptable p; I imagine after a while I'll be able to achieve a greater range of dynamics (no problem at all with ff!)

Anyway, I just thought I'd share. I'm very excited about getting the piano - best Christmas present ever!

Jen

Re: Bought a Kawai CA 65 (compared Roland and Yamaha) [Re: CarstenB] #2002328
12/20/12 06:42 PM
12/20/12 06:42 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Kawai James  Offline

Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Jen, welcome to the forum, and congratulations to you also on the purchase of your new piano!

Lots of music being played this Christmas!

Take care,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
Re: Bought a Kawai CA 65 (compared Roland and Yamaha) [Re: CarstenB] #2002440
12/21/12 01:20 AM
12/21/12 01:20 AM
D
dzhenb Offline
dzhenb  Offline
D

Thanks James. Yes indeed there will be. Planning the repertoire I'm going to work on right now. Bach, Beethoven, and Brahms, I think.

Have a great Christmas, all.

Jen

Re: Bought a Kawai CA 65 (compared Roland and Yamaha) [Re: CarstenB] #2002441
12/21/12 01:21 AM
12/21/12 01:21 AM
Denmark
C
CarstenB Offline OP
CarstenB  Offline OP
C

Denmark
Hi All,

Thanks for all your comments. I normally play without headphone, and not at a very high volume so the comment about the CA 95 compared to CA 65 could probably save me some money!

Time will tell after I have tried the CA 95.

It was a pleasure to share my experince with you.

Merry Christmas.

Carsten

Re: Bought a Kawai CA 65 (compared Roland and Yamaha) [Re: CarstenB] #2003705
12/23/12 10:42 PM
12/23/12 10:42 PM
Honolulu
Lizard Offline
Lizard  Offline

Honolulu
I'm surprised you found the action on the HP507 heavy. It doesn't weigh out that way. Oh well, that's what makes the world go round. Good testimonial for Kawai though.

Re: Bought a Kawai CA 65 (compared Roland and Yamaha) [Re: CarstenB] #2204001
12/28/13 12:01 PM
12/28/13 12:01 PM
Uruguay
khopin Offline
khopin  Offline

Uruguay
Hello CarstenB
Congrats for your New CA 65, very jealous about that.
I was today in my local kawai Shop and they tall me that a New CN34 and CA65 are comming soon.
Did you try a CN34? If yes, How did you feel it compared with CA65?

Working on:
Chopin Impromptu Fantasie Op.66
Chopin Mazurka Op 33 No 4

DP: Kawai CA65
Re: Bought a Kawai CA 65 (compared Roland and Yamaha) [Re: khopin] #2204033
12/28/13 01:47 PM
12/28/13 01:47 PM
The Netherlands
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JFP  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

The Netherlands
Originally Posted by khopin
I was today in my local kawai Shop and they tall me that a New CN34 and CA65 are comming soon.

That's not what I was told not so long ago (?!)

Anyway , the CA-95 sounds really great over the speaker-soundboard system, so if you can upgrade in the future without much hassle , it may be money well spend.

Last edited by JFP; 12/28/13 01:47 PM.
Re: Bought a Kawai CA 65 (compared Roland and Yamaha) [Re: CarstenB] #2204076
12/28/13 03:13 PM
12/28/13 03:13 PM
Spanish living in UK
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member
evamar  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Spanish living in UK
Carsten and Jen, welcome to the club and enjoy this beauty for many years to come!

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
Re: Bought a Kawai CA 65 (compared Roland and Yamaha) [Re: khopin] #2204080
12/28/13 03:26 PM
12/28/13 03:26 PM
Spanish living in UK
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member
evamar  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Spanish living in UK
Hello CarstenB
Congrats for your New CA 65, very jealous about that.
Did you try a CN34? If yes, How did you feel it compared with CA65?

Hi Khopin, I did try several pianos including a CN34 before buying the CA65. I did like the CN34, but after trying the CA series I simply had to have one. The action is amazing. But I know that as a beginner I would have been very happy with the CN34 for quite a few years.

If you are not too bothered about bells and whistles and simply want excellent piano sounds, then you might prefer a CA15. Try it if you have the chance, as the price sits right in between those models and it also has a very good action. It's not available in USA, you have the CE220 there which I haven't been able to try.

In any case, remember that you can try to negotiate the price a bit.

When I asked last summer I was told there were no plans to introduce new models in the CA series anytime soon. But Kawai seems to introduce new actions and models quite often compared to other makers.

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
Re: Bought a Kawai CA 65 (compared Roland and Yamaha) [Re: CarstenB] #2204085
12/28/13 03:52 PM
12/28/13 03:52 PM
The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
J
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Johan B  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J

The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
Congrats to your Kawai CA65.........of course much better than the Casio.

Kawai or Yamaha is after me a matter of taste.....

You bought a real good piano.....have fun with it.

Best regards,

Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'
https://m.youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
Re: Bought a Kawai CA 65 (compared Roland and Yamaha) [Re: JFP] #2204126
12/28/13 05:09 PM
12/28/13 05:09 PM
Uruguay
khopin Offline
khopin  Offline

Uruguay
Originally Posted by JFP

That's not what I was told not so long ago (?!)

Anyway , the CA-95 sounds really great over the speaker-soundboard system, so if you can upgrade in the future without much hassle , it may be money well spend.

You are right, the situation two month ago was different, that was the reason I bought a CL36 instead of some of them, but today I was sourpriced with the good news. Seams that many people were asking for better DPs with complete stand, wood cover, and so on. Other brands are out of stock too.
Anyway, better for me, maybe I can upgrade my CL36 soon.

Working on:

Re: Bought a Kawai CA 65 (compared Roland and Yamaha) [Re: evamar] #2204146
12/28/13 05:31 PM
12/28/13 05:31 PM
Uruguay
khopin Offline
khopin  Offline

Uruguay
Originally Posted by evamar

Hi Khopin, I did try several pianos including a CN34 before buying the CA65. I did like the CN34, but after trying the CA series I simply had to have one. The action is amazing. But I know that as a beginner I would have been very happy with the CN34 for quite a few years.

If you are not too bothered about bells and whistles and simply want excellent piano sounds, then you might prefer a CA15. Try it if you have the chance, as the price sits right in between those models and it also has a very good action. It's not available in USA, you have the CE220 there which I haven't been able to try.

In any case, remember that you can try to negotiate the price a bit.

When I asked last summer I was told there were no plans to introduce new models in the CA series anytime soon. But Kawai seems to introduce new actions and models quite often compared to other makers.

Hi evamar, Thank you for your answer
I don't have the chance to try CA15 or CA65, moreover I had to travel to a near Country to try a CN34 that was the best they had at that moment, and the best DP I have tried so far.
I will maybe have the chance to try and buy some of the CN34 or the only one CA65 that is coming.
I don't know the price yet, but I estimate around USD 800,oo difference.
If they really come, let's see what to do.

Working on:

Re: Bought a Kawai CA 65 (compared Roland and Yamaha) [Re: dzhenb] #2204208
12/28/13 08:03 PM
12/28/13 08:03 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by dzhenb
. . . The second time I went in with a list of tests for it and, to my mind at least, it stood up to all of them. Included in this was playing p, pp. I had found this difficult, like others in the forum, but eventually got the hang of it. My technique, never the best, was pretty rusty, but after a few hours of playing I was creating a fairly acceptable p; I imagine after a while I'll be able to achieve a greater range of dynamics (no problem at all with ff!)
. . .

Jen --

Please forgive a (possibly stupid) question:

. . . Have you tried changing the "Touch" setting on the keyboard?

The following is personal and subjective opinion:

On some digital pianos I've tried, "p" and "pp" are a lot easier to play with a higher setting for "Touch".

That is, with higher "Touch" setting, you must hit the key harder for the same dynamic. IMHO, that's more like what an acoustic piano requires.

I just tried a Korg SP-280, and the default "Touch" setting was way, way lighter than a typical acoustic piano. The higher settings worked better, for me, on that piano. On my PX-350, the default "Touch" setting is accceptable, but the highest available value is closer to "acoustic action".

. Charles

PS -- I don't know _why_ the manufacturers do this, and I haven't played the Kawai's.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Bought a Kawai CA 65 (compared Roland and Yamaha) [Re: CarstenB] #2204233
12/28/13 09:16 PM
12/28/13 09:16 PM
Uruguay
khopin Offline
khopin  Offline

Uruguay
Can I ask any of the CA65 owners the distance from the very front tip of the pedals to the edge of the keyboard?
There are some topics talking about that distance for a CA95 model resulting in 5.5 in, but it has the sound system in the back, so it is suppose to be higher distance for the CA65.

Working on:

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New old guy here; just starting piano journey at 58!
by PianoWVBob. 11/15/18 03:38 PM
One vs. Two-Hnaded Sight Reading
by BbAltered. 11/15/18 01:08 PM
Casio PX-160 or Yamaha P-125 for Beginner
by jediknight. 11/15/18 11:42 AM
Late 19th - early 20th century Pleyel pianos.
by Wckoek. 11/15/18 08:36 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,344
Posts2,761,422
Members91,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission