2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, benkeys, 17 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2201909 12/23/13 02:56 PM
Jolly Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Name a piano that you think is a wonderful value or is a great performer, but is often overlooked by the piano playing public.

And why is it overlooked?

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
Jolly #2201920 12/23/13 03:38 PM
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Jolly,

I don't have a specific model in mind but I have a comment.

In general, the first time buyer overlooks many great opportunities because their teacher, brother, sister, (insert name here) who knows about pianos told them to only buy a "xxxxx" (again, insert name here). The person mentioned is usually a "concert pianist" as well.

Consumers who are uneducated make bad decisions. I also think this goes for more than just pianos.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Jolly,

I don't have a specific model in mind but I have a comment.

In general, the first time buyer overlooks many great opportunities because their teacher, brother, sister, (insert name here) who knows about pianos told them to only buy a "xxxxx" (again, insert name here). The person mentioned is usually a "concert pianist" as well.

Consumers who are uneducated make bad decisions. I also think this goes for more than just pianos.

Yes, this is so true.

Jolly #2202030 12/23/13 09:11 PM
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Older concert grands. They last a long time, the sound is magnificent, and you can often find them for very little money. They're overlooked because people aren't willing to devote nine feet of floor space to a piano.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Jolly #2202051 12/23/13 10:52 PM

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Great piano, but seldom mentioned: Sohmer & Co. (pre-1983).

Last edited by bkw58; 12/23/13 10:59 PM. Reason: typo

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
Jolly #2202166 12/24/13 04:40 AM
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
On the new market: Shigeru Kawai. Many people haven't heard of it, or think it's simply an option on their normal consumer line. I think it's was of the best values at the high end of the market. Moving downmarket... I think Hailuns are still overlooked as you can't hardly find them anywhere.

On the used market there are so many all I can do is list what comes to the top of my head: Kurtzman, Sohmer (the old ones), Knabe (the American ones), Vose and Sons (pre 1930), Chickering (the name was eventually driven into the mud), Steinert, Bluthner (outside of Pianoworld most in USA haven't heard of it).

Pianist and Piano Teacher
Jolly #2202393 12/24/13 02:52 PM
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Jolly
Name a piano that you think is a wonderful value or is a great performer, but is often overlooked by the piano playing public.

And why is it overlooked?

The two Walter grands are among the most overlooked grands on the market even though they are among the world's best in their size ranges.

We hear a lot about the Walter uprights but the grands are not promoted at all.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
Jolly #2202469 12/24/13 06:04 PM
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I played a CW190 once and thought it was quite wonderful. At that time, my piano teacher had an L that he adored and kept well serviced. The L was, in fact, very nice indeed, but the CW190 blew it away, especially in the lower half of the piano's compass.

Jolly #2202547 12/24/13 09:43 PM
P
P
I'm visiting my parents for Christmas and I've been playing on the Ronisch upright they bought for me new about 12 years ago. It's always a pleasure to come back to that piano and at the time it was purchased, it was priced only slightly more than a similar sized Kawai (which was my second choice.) I picked it myself based on what I thought sounded and played best in the price range.

I can relate to what Rich is saying. My parents asked my piano teacher for advice, and he told us to get a big used Yamaha like the one he played at church. Nothing wrong with that, except that he didn't really know what else was available on the market at the time, and I didn't like any Yamahas I tried smile. So we went to a few different piano stores, I tried everything and anything and bought the instrument that was most fun to play (even though almost no-one has ever heard of the brand). And no regrets.

These days, Ronisch is owned by Bluthner and the pianos have been redesigned and got a bit more expensive. I haven't played any of these newer models, but would love to try some out one day.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pogmoger
I'm visiting my parents for Christmas and I've been playing on the Ronisch upright they bought for me new about 12 years ago. It's always a pleasure to come back to that piano and at the time it was purchased, it was priced only slightly more than a similar sized Kawai (which was my second choice.) I picked it myself based on what I thought sounded and played best in the price range.

I can relate to what Rich is saying. My parents asked my piano teacher for advice, and he told us to get a big used Yamaha like the one he played at church. Nothing wrong with that, except that he didn't really know what else was available on the market at the time, and I didn't like any Yamahas I tried smile. So we went to a few different piano stores, I tried everything and anything and bought the instrument that was most fun to play (even though almost no-one has ever heard of the brand). And no regrets.

These days, Ronisch is owned by Bluthner and the pianos have been redesigned and got a bit more expensive. I haven't played any of these newer models, but would love to try some out one day.

Like another aspect of life- practice on as many as you can before you decide which one to get and keep.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Jolly #2202608 12/25/13 01:08 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...We hear a lot about the Walter uprights but the grands are not promoted at all..."

I do urge people to go to the trouble to find a dealer who carries them, and to consider them when they are looking for a grand for the home. But if you mean, "Does the company promote them," then I'd have to say no, or at least, that I've never heard of it. And if these shoppers do get to the showroom, the typical giant sales floor is not optimal for hearing these instruments.

However, Carnes in San Jose has moved their Walter grands to a newly-made section of their sales floor. It's the size of a fairly big living room; two walls are solid glass plate. It may not be the ideal showcase--- a little on the live side--- but I give them credit for taking a step in the right direction. And it would warm your heart to see the effort Darlene makes to get customers to give them a fair try, even though they may never have heard the name before... and that's a steep hill to scale.

If I had known more when I was piano shopping, about its special features and design philosophy, it could be sitting in my living room today. Though, to be honest, Kawai's MIII action is very hard to beat, and when you're trying your way through 15 or 20 pianos, it stands out. Maybe it's preaching to the choir, but C. Walter doesn't even have an ad on PW, to help make their website easy to find; these days, that kind of thing can help a lot.

Bottom line... well, most shoppers are looking for uprights anyway, and that's why they get directed to the CW 1500. And they end up buying a used Yamaha. Bottom line... you're closer to right than not.

Clef

Jolly #2202634 12/25/13 02:41 AM
G
G
My 1925 7' August Forster grand is the find of my LIFE! I installed a new pinblock. Overall, this piano is better than any Steinway of equal size. This thing gives me so much playing pleasure that I doubt I could let it go at any price

Making the world a better sounding place, one piano at a time...
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
"...We hear a lot about the Walter uprights but the grands are not promoted at all..."

I do urge people to go to the trouble to find a dealer who carries them, and to consider them when they are looking for a grand for the home. But if you mean, "Does the company promote them," then I'd have to say no, or at least, that I've never heard of it. And if these shoppers do get to the showroom, the typical giant sales floor is not optimal for hearing these instruments.

However, Carnes in San Jose has moved their Walter grands to a newly-made section of their sales floor. It's the size of a fairly big living room; two walls are solid glass plate. It may not be the ideal showcase--- a little on the live side--- but I give them credit for taking a step in the right direction. And it would warm your heart to see the effort Darlene makes to get customers to give them a fair try, even though they may never have heard the name before... and that's a steep hill to scale.

If I had known more when I was piano shopping, about its special features and design philosophy, it could be sitting in my living room today. Though, to be honest, Kawai's MIII action is very hard to beat, and when you're trying your way through 15 or 20 pianos, it stands out. Maybe it's preaching to the choir, but C. Walter doesn't even have an ad on PW, to help make their website easy to find; these days, that kind of thing can help a lot.

Bottom line... well, most shoppers are looking for uprights anyway, and that's why they get directed to the CW 1500. And they end up buying a used Yamaha. Bottom line... you're closer to right than not.

I played a Charles Walter at Carnes but only for a couple of minutes. I'm not sure if the one they had needed some regulation work or what not, but the action was incredibly stiff. The stiffest I've ever encountered. I just got done playing their Kawai RX's, which isn't exactly the lightest action either.

I knew the piano market in the 80's and 90's, took a long layoff and got re-acquainted with it a year or two ago, read PianoBuyer, and definitely did read about Charles Walter. But when I read words like "Made in America" and "handmade" I sort of took it off of my list thinking it would be in a different pricing tier than something like a Kawai or Yamaha. I'm not sure if that's true or not. Hard to tell since the piano industry likes to mess around with MSRP. Anyways...

Another thing, when I went to Sherman Clay's in SF, they sell these pianos with the "Henry F. Miller" label, made by Pearl River I believe. I kept getting thinking that was the CW I read about. Perhaps if CW did more advertising I would remember their name better. I just remembered it as "some American guy's name."

Jolly #2202696 12/25/13 09:52 AM
Jolly Offline OP
OP Offline
A good CW can run with anybody's piano of the same size.

Anybody.

Hard action? Never run into one. Everyone we've ever sat down to had an action like butter. The piano wanted to be played.

And at the prices I've seen on some, they can be a screaming deal for the piano you're getting.

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
Jolly #2202741 12/25/13 12:24 PM
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Jolly
A good CW can run with anybody's piano of the same size.

Anybody.

Hard action? Never run into one. Everyone we've ever sat down to had an action like butter. The piano wanted to be played.

And at the prices I've seen on some, they can be a screaming deal for the piano you're getting.

+1 smile

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by michaelh
I played a Charles Walter at Carnes but only for a couple of minutes. I'm not sure if the one they had needed some regulation work or what not, but the action was incredibly stiff. The stiffest I've ever encountered. I just got done playing their Kawai RX's, which isn't exactly the lightest action either.

Did you ask about the action? The people at the factory lavish time and attention on the action setup. More than many companies offering considerably more expensive pianos. I've never known one to have and action that "was incredibly stiff."

I'm not suggesting that it couldn't happen, of course, but if it did you should have purchased it on the spot for its rarity. The value of such a one-of-a-kind instrument must surely go up quickly.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
Jolly #2202777 12/25/13 02:06 PM
R
R
I have heard a lot of good things about CW but didn't try when I shopped for my grand because it seemed to be significantly out of my price range. If I remember right, a 5'9" would be in the 30-40 range. Much more than a Kawai in the similar size.

bkw58 #2202781 12/25/13 02:09 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bkw58
Great piano, but seldom mentioned: Sohmer & Co. (pre-1983).

I've played Sohmer uprights and while they were good, they were less than a typical Yamaha upright.

If Sohmer made grands, I'm not aware.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Jolly #2202808 12/25/13 03:28 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I played a few refurbished large Charles Stieff uprights which were exceptional. I've also played a couple of Stieff baby grands which were equally as good.

Rich

Retired at the beach
Grotrian 192

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
Rich D. #2202919 12/25/13 10:30 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Why hasn't "somebody" mentioned Petrof on here yet?

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission