2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,325 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Anthill Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Maybe I should explain myself: If completely honest, I do have time for a teacher. But that is only at a certain time during Thursday and Friday evening(and the weekend of course). I am actually busy the rest of the week. So that is some free time that would be taken away. I've also had some odd experiences regarding my other instrument, the electric guitar. At the age of 12-13, been playing for about 2-3 years, I had developed better technical skills in certain areas than my teacher; this, I had learned at home by myself. He did point out some basics, sure, but at that age I didn't really analyze things as I'm able to today(considering my age back then). Today I'd fix those things he pointed out by myself. My point is that this guy wasn't as proficient as an actual teacher(in my opinion) should be, so if I were to get lessons from him today it would be a waste of time.
The only piano teacher in my area is part of the same "squad" if you will, which mainly teach school kids at the age of 8-15. I'm not sure, but I have the feeling my experience will be the same with the piano teacher; but I'm yet to find out though.
But I also realized that the traditional, or standard, piano teaching method is much more "evolved" than that of electric guitar; for example, physical analysis(Edit: 'technique analysis' was what I meant) of electric guitar is close to non-existent; there is no standard repertoire or pieces graded by difficulty etc. Anyway, considering this, it may be possible that my assumption about the piano teacher not being able to teach me stuff may be wrong.

That is all smile

Last edited by Punchslap; 12/23/13 05:54 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I thought my schedule would be complicated, but when I spoke to my (then potential) teacher, he suggested Saturday afternoon, which works great for me.

Some of my lesson stuff is completely as I would have expected--you know, use a method book, practice stuff, pass it off, and get new stuff. The rest of my lesson stuff is completely new news to me. My teacher teaches me stuff--has me try different ways to play, provides insight where I am confused, and direction when I flounder.

Learner
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
If you have a good teacher sitting beside you during your lesson ...

In my opinion, the main advantage of a teacher is to help you with your playing technique and also directing you with what things to do to help you improve as a player.

It is not so much WHAT you play as it is HOW you play it.

A good teacher will help with that.

Last edited by dmd; 12/23/13 09:29 PM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Assuming you practice one hour per day (inclusive of one hour with a teacher), you only have the guidance of an instructor 14% of your time each week. The good teacher prepares you for the other 86% of the time when they are not sitting next to you.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The right time to find a teacher is when you've gotten as far as you can without one.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
S
S
I like Janet Vogt's Mastering Music 1A-2B books. Throw in a couple of her simplified repertoire books and some scale practice and one has a pretty comprehensive study plan for the beginning self-taught. In my humble opinion, of course.

In your non-playing time read and watch everything you can find about the piano and piano playing. Never have piano down-time. ;^)

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sedona Drum
Never have piano down-time. ;^)
In my (humble) opinion, that is just a recipe for becoming a burn-out, in anything, piano and whatever.

At least if piano is supposed to be a hobby and something that gives you enjoyment. To never take my mind of piano, would at least make me feel piano playing as a burden.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
S
S
Something tells me your opinion is never humbly given. But, hey, TheodorN; see that little winky-eye at the end of that statement? That sort of means "not to be taken too seriously".

This is why I spend such little time on Forums.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Punchslap
Anyway, considering this, it may be possible that my assumption about the piano teacher not being able to teach me stuff may be wrong.
I'd at least find out first. It's true that many teachers aren't all that qualified to teach (I see this a lot, especially in the voice world). But at least with your previous bad experiences, you know to be a little more cautious. It would still be a big benefit to do a little research to find a good teacher. Even if you only plan to take a few lessons, it would still be a way to get off on the right foot and help you focus on what you should be working on.

By the way, I've gone the other way. I play a little guitar and try to apply my piano knowledge. I've learned a lot with books and videos, but I still have taken lessons from time to time to make sure I'm using my practice time wisely. I obviously think online learning is a great new tool, but I also believe that nothing can ever beat a skilled teacher watching you play, showing you how to improve, and personalizing lessons to your specific needs.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Try just one little book, or just scales (once you find some approved fingerings). A little bit of instructional material goes a long way -- the rest is having someone to help you, and actually practicing of course.

I really do think you should try to get a teacher, at least for a few weeks. If you don't like or can't stick with lessons, then don't. But try them for a bit first so that you can have a head start on how to play and which materials to use! I.e., use the same materials that your teacher would give you if you had one :P.

Beethoven - Op.49 No.1 (sonata 19)
Czerny - Op.299 Nos. 5,7 (School of Velocity)
Liszt - S.172 No.2 (Consolation No.2)

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sedona Drum
Something tells me your opinion is never humbly given. But, hey, TheodorN; see that little winky-eye at the end of that statement? That sort of means "not to be taken too seriously".

This is why I spend such little time on Forums.
Sorry, just missed the winky-eye. Don't let me scare you from the forums, there are a lot of nice people around here.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission