2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,849 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
I'm surprised that I haven't been able to find a VPC1 on the floor of any dealer's showroom in NYC. Kawai US can't help me. The authorized dealers in town don't have one on display. I'm reluctant to order one without being able to check it out first. Does anybody know where I can find one in the city? If anyone has a VPC1 they would be willing to show me, please PM me!

Thanks!

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Maybe you can find a place where you can return it for a complete refund if you don't like it ?

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks, I'll do that if I have no other choice.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Judging by the comments by users within this forum, it is highly unlikely that you won't like it....as long as you are happy using software piano products to generate the sound and no onboard speaker system.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Did you try Sam Ash? They seem to have a broader DP/Synth floor stock than anyone else I've tried.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
J
OP Offline
J
I did try Sam Ash. They have a great selection, but not for Kawai--only two keyboards, and the MP10 was in terrible shape, keys broken, etc.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jjmarkow
I'm surprised that I haven't been able to find a VPC1 on the floor of any dealer's showroom in NYC. Kawai US can't help me. The authorized dealers in town don't have one on display.

Yes, it's unfortunate, however the VPC1 is a rather difficult model to demonstrate on the shop floor as it requires a computer with dedicated software, speakers, audio interface etc. - for many acoustic-oriented dealers, this is quite a large outlay.

Given that you have already contacted Kawai US, I'm afraid there's not a great deal I can suggest, other than to try an MP10 and a CA95/CA65 and consider the action to be somewhere in between.

I would echo the sentiments of dmd, though: in the 10 months or so that the VPC1 has been available, I don't believe I have seen any negative comments - other than the lack of pitchbend/modulation wheel.

Best of luck!

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Kawai James
in the 10 months or so that the VPC1 has been available, I don't believe I have seen any negative comments - other than the lack of pitchbend/modulation wheel.

And the choice of RM3II instead of GF. smile

Okay, that's a fair point.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
I
I
I don't believe I have seen any negative comments - other than the lack of pitchbend/modulation wheel.

My piano store has both the MP10 (with pitchbend/modulation wheels) and VPC1 on display and, to me, the VPC1 looks so much better without those wheels.

If you are mostly into playing (not mixing), then I think VPC1 has hit the spot. VPC1 looks like something that Apple (when Steve Jobs was still around) would have come up with.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by iceporky
My piano store has both the MP10 (with pitchbend/modulation wheels) and VPC1 on display and, to me, the VPC1 looks so much better without those wheels.

Yeah, basically any time someone chimes in wishing for those wheels they are overwhelmed by people (including myself) saying they are wrong. It's not the right instrument to need to include those.

On the other hand, the desire for GF is universal. smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

I would echo the sentiments of dmd, though: in the 10 months or so that the VPC1 has been available, I don't believe I have seen any negative comments - other than the lack of pitchbend/modulation wheel.

I also think that the VPC1 is a very refined piano controller and I don't think that you would return it if you ordered it online. Most Kawai owners seem to be most satisfied with the piano action and with the VPC1 that is what you get. Another (minor) complaint I recall is the lack of Mac support for the VPC editor. If I was in the market for a controller I would buy the VPC1 in a flash as I really like the action in the Kawai pianos I have tried. Good luck!

Last edited by Amaruk; 12/23/13 09:17 PM.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks to all for your advice!

K
K
Originally Posted by gvfarns
in the 10 months or so that the VPC1 has been available, I don't believe I have seen any negative comments - other than the lack of pitchbend/modulation wheel.

And the choice of RM3II instead of GF. smile

thumb

K.

Kevin L. Spindler
Early Keyboard Instruments
Stonington, CT
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129
Lack of modulation wheel, pitch pend and inputs for expression pedals make it a no no for me as I would be using the VPC1 as a recording studio controller keyboard. I agree it looks very attractive but I think a computer-based instrument like this should have included all these featurees. I am very happy with my Kawai MP10 though.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Strange that, apparently, you find more VPC1s to test in a major German city (such as Frankfurt or Cologne) than in NYC...

Joking aside, to me the VPC1 has no major flaw at all. OK, a GF action might be nice, but frankly, the RM3-II (adding the third sensor to that of the MP10) is more than sufficient for most purposes. And I don't miss the wheels a bit - this thing is not a masterkeyboard for all kinds of MIDI and recording purposes (Kawai might give us such an instrument as well but then an updated mega MP10 with sounds, GF, full MIDI capabilities and controls might as well do the trick, for professionals needing such a thing, and for the rich among you). The VPC1 is for straight piano playing, period. And I like the modest price tag it has, that bit of the equation should not be compromised in updates, in my view.

My only (admittedly not major) niggle is well known: A curve editor for MacOS. Now where is our little Christmas present, James? wink

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
M
M
I'm familiar with the RM3-II action, but what is GF?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
H
H
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I'm familiar with the RM3-II action, but what is GF?

Kawai Grand Feel action, present in CA65, CA95, CS7, CS10 pianos.

P
P
GF is a more advanced sibling of RM3-II. The most significant difference are longer keys (to fulcrum) of GF, equal in length to the keys of shorter grands.
Because the GF action weights more and requires more space, Kawai have not used this action in any portable instrument yet, though, IMHO, a version of VPC with GF action could be very appealing to many customers.

Kawai CA65 :: Galaxy: Vintage D, Vienna Grand, Giant :: Pianoteq 5 :: Kontakt 5 :: Reaper :: True Keys pianos
M
M
Thanks Hookxs and PtJaa for explaining that. That is always the trade-off between something 'portable' and getting the best action.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission