Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
106 registered members (apianostudent, 5penguins, astrotoy, Aimer, anotherscott, ando, 27 invisible), 3,132 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Would like to know a bit more about my Chickering grand #2199589
12/18/13 09:43 AM
12/18/13 09:43 AM
Montreal, Canada
G
guyl Offline OP
guyl  Offline OP
G

Montreal, Canada
Hi to all. I'm new to this forum and have found lots of interesting discussions about just about anything related to pianos. I have been playing for over 40 years and have a lot of interest in the history and technicalities of the instrument itself. I have several books on the subject too, such as the Alfred Dolge "Pianos and their makers". I also tune and repair my piano myself.

My piano is a Chickering grand that appears to date from about 1885. I have been the owner of this wonderful piano for 22 years. I took a few quick photos below to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I did a forum search on Chickering and came across a few photos of similar pianos. They seem to refer to this style as being a "yacht-tail" (what does this term actually mean?). It is 6'-5" long (a wonderful size for a home piano) and has an amazing bass and tenor tone, like that of a 7' piano. The tail end of the piano is very wide, making for a larger soundboard area than most pianos of similar length. The serial number disappeared when it was rebuilt at some time in the past.

It has several unusual characteristics that should help the more knowledgeable among us tell me more about it:

- It has 85 keys (A to A) instead of the now standard 88

- There is no capo bar. Agraffes are used throughout. This apparently might account for the less then brilliant treble tone. Hardening the hammers has helped to some degree.

- There are 14 notes in the tenor where the wrapped strings are still tripled. Almost all pianos I've seen immediately become double stringed where the wrapped strings start. This makes for the powerful tenor tone. The first double stringed note is the C two octaves below middle C.

- The lower half of the treble strings are individually strung, while the section to the right of the brace are looped back.

As you can tell in the photos, the legs are not original. The prop stick was missing and I made this one myself (rosewood is harder then maple!). I also re-veneered the music rack. It had been sanded through and looked horrible. The soundboard had been replaced (when the previous owner had it) and the strings are less then 30 years old.

I would like to know if there is a known model number to this piano, and a better approximation of its year of manufacture if anything from what you can see gives you a hint. I would also like to have a general idea of how this model stacks up against pianos of similar age. Are they generally well regarded and sought after?

Thanks for any information that you can provide!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Would like to know a bit more about my Chickering grand [Re: guyl] #2200023
12/19/13 08:27 AM
12/19/13 08:27 AM
SF Bay Area Ca.
Swarth Offline
Swarth  Offline

SF Bay Area Ca.
Chickering didn't so much use model numbers as they used case designs for the style and then scale designations such as 93, 105B, 109C, 116 etc.. The yacht tail comes from the tail of the piano resembling the stern of a boat and not continuously bent as in modern pianos. This indeed made for a wider soundboard allowing for longer bass strings. Yes they do have better bass than their same size counter parts. You might find the scale designation (probably in the 90's) and the serial number somewhere near the tuning pins, perhaps next to where the Chickering name is forged into the plate. 85 to 88 keys seems to have happened 1884/5 from the best that I can tell. That doesn't mean Chickering didn't produce any 85 key pianos after that, cause back then they built whatever they wanted when they wanted, which makes figuring these pianos out such a joy. 1885 serial numbers should be around 70xxx - 72xxx. My best guesstimate is it's an 1884 scale 93.
Are they generally well regarded? To some (me included), the yacht tail Chickerings can be considered the best pianos of the day. However today since it fails to have "Steinway" marked on it anywhere it's value to the general populace would be next to nothing. These pianos have a hard time recovering the cost of restoration on the open market, a real shame.

Quid est veritas et mendacium, cum orbis terrarum.
Re: Would like to know a bit more about my Chickering grand [Re: guyl] #2200043
12/19/13 09:07 AM
12/19/13 09:07 AM
B
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Bob Newbie  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B

What's odd is the music rack looks too modern for that time period, most were ornate open scroll type, there's minor ornamentation on the yacht tail. plus the 3 pedals..
being only 85 keys might turn off some buyers.. however there are Chickering lovers out there.

Re: Would like to know a bit more about my Chickering grand [Re: guyl] #2200083
12/19/13 10:57 AM
12/19/13 10:57 AM
Sandy Eggo, California
O
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member
OperaTenor  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O

Sandy Eggo, California
Welcome to PW!

I agree with everything Swarth said.

I'm a fan of old Chickerings. I'm glad to see you're happy with your piano and have done so much to take care of it.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
Re: Would like to know a bit more about my Chickering grand [Re: guyl] #2200387
12/19/13 08:36 PM
12/19/13 08:36 PM
shirley, MA
jim ialeggio Offline
500 Post Club Member
jim ialeggio  Offline
500 Post Club Member

shirley, MA
If you feel comfortable pulling out the action, how about a pic of the action. Its possible this may have a Brown action, which is different from the Erard style actions other modern pianos have.

The Brown action, when in good repair, and set up with the light hammers they were designed to use, is a dynamite action...responsive, easy on the hands, and some feel plays itself. It would be instructive to show an end view, if in fact your baby has this action.

Jim Ialeggio

Jim Ialeggio
www.grandpianosolutions.com
advanced soundboard and action redesigns
978 425-9026
Shirley Center, MA
Re: Would like to know a bit more about my Chickering grand [Re: guyl] #2200463
12/19/13 11:33 PM
12/19/13 11:33 PM
Montreal, Canada
G
guyl Offline OP
guyl  Offline OP
G

Montreal, Canada
Hey, thanks for the responses so far. To answer some of the questions raised:

- The serial number got lost in a restoration done before I owned it. I have the Bob Pierce book and would have just looked it up if I could.

- Yes the music desk is somewhat plainer then others I have usually seen for Chickering pianos from this period. Victorian grands also often have large ornate round legs. Mine are obviously much simpler hand made replacements, but I have also seen one other instance of another piano almost identical to mine (in a fancy Montreal restaurant that has since closed) and the legs were of a simpler design with ionic column-like scrolls at the top, and rather thin legs. I wished I had taken a picture of the legs of that one while I could. I remember its music desk also being somewhat fancier. One difference is that the fallboard appeared to be a split, folding type instead of the solid on I have. It seems like what they say about Chickering is true: no two pianos alike!

- I would say it very likely has the Brown action. I have pulled it out a couple of times already and did notice that it was not quite the same as the usual Erard type action. Less wooden levers and there is an odd V shaped spring pulling on something. Just learning about this particular action on this forum has raised my curiousity and I'll probably pull it out again just to see and take a pic. It does work very well and I like the touch.

I have no plan to ever sell or get rid of this nice piano...I just want to know more about it!

Thanks again for the comments!

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!
Re: Would like to know a bit more about my Chickering grand [Re: guyl] #2200614
12/20/13 11:56 AM
12/20/13 11:56 AM
Montreal, Canada
G
guyl Offline OP
guyl  Offline OP
G

Montreal, Canada
I just took a picture of the treble end of the action. Does this tell you if this piano indeed has Brownian motion? ;-)

The hammers have obviously been replaced and might be larger then the original "light" ones that you are referring to. Nonetheless, I do find the action quite responsive and have not had any trouble with it.

[Linked Image]

Re: Would like to know a bit more about my Chickering grand [Re: guyl] #2200666
12/20/13 02:21 PM
12/20/13 02:21 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
That is a Brown action.

Semipro Tech
Re: Would like to know a bit more about my Chickering grand [Re: guyl] #2201144
12/21/13 09:32 PM
12/21/13 09:32 PM
Seattle, WA USA
E
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Ed McMorrow, RPT  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
E

Seattle, WA USA
If no front leads have been added to the keys-then the hammers are probably correct.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Re: Would like to know a bit more about my Chickering grand [Re: guyl] #2201181
12/21/13 10:14 PM
12/21/13 10:14 PM
Northern VA, U.S.
ClsscLib Offline

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
ClsscLib  Offline

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020

3000 Post Club Member

Northern VA, U.S.
Didn't Glenn Gould have an old Chickering at his home with an action that he preferred to all other piano actions?

I found this through Google, but I can't vouch for it:

http://glenngould.org/f_minor/msg06708.html

Last edited by ClsscLib; 12/21/13 10:37 PM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins
Re: Would like to know a bit more about my Chickering grand [Re: guyl] #2201280
12/22/13 05:55 AM
12/22/13 05:55 AM
The Netherlands
W
WimPiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WimPiano  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W

The Netherlands
Glenn Goulds Chickering is in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt6-_z4r8Kg
Sound and image are out of sync though.
This outtake is better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhU9Ld1NNZg

Last edited by wimpiano; 12/22/13 06:48 AM.
Re: Would like to know a bit more about my Chickering grand [Re: guyl] #2201387
12/22/13 01:47 PM
12/22/13 01:47 PM
Montreal, Canada
G
guyl Offline OP
guyl  Offline OP
G

Montreal, Canada
Thanks again for confirming the type of action that I have and other interesting information. This forum is a real treasure trove of knowledge!

I remember reading a few things about Glenn Gould and his beloved Chickering piano. There was a story about his needing to perform on a Steinway once and he had the action regulated to match the unevenness and quirks of his Chickering that he was so familiar with. The customer is always right! He also had a specific chair that he would always use because of his unusal low posture at the keyboard.

Re: Would like to know a bit more about my Chickering grand [Re: guyl] #2201397
12/22/13 02:16 PM
12/22/13 02:16 PM
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Steve Cohen Offline
Steve Cohen  Offline

Maryland/DC/No. VA
Look on the front edge of the action frame. The SN is often shown there.

Also look on the bottom of the pedalworks. (use mirror)

Piano Industry Consultant

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
Re: Would like to know a bit more about my Chickering grand [Re: guyl] #2201401
12/22/13 02:45 PM
12/22/13 02:45 PM
Montreal, Canada
G
guyl Offline OP
guyl  Offline OP
G

Montreal, Canada
The only numbers I have ever found are "4533" on places like the back of the keyslip. From what I've seen in the past, these are case part identification numbers. That number as a serial number would be too short and make it much too old to be even close to being correct. There is also a stamped name that appears to be "J.A.Chartlon" near the number on the keyslip. Some kind of final inspector id?

Re: Would like to know a bit more about my Chickering grand [Re: guyl] #2366815
12/29/14 01:47 PM
12/29/14 01:47 PM
Washington DC
G
Greg Bennett Offline
Greg Bennett  Offline
G

Washington DC
Fully aware of the age of this thread, I thought I'd reply anyway. smile

I concur that this is a Scale 93. This should be easily confirmed (which I'm sure GuyL has already done) by looking underneath the music desk in the far left. The scale 93 was made between December 1881 (S/N 60930 is the first I see) until December 1886 (S/N 73250 is the last one I see). So Guy's serial number is somewhere in between (inclusive, of course).

The 93 was referred to by Chickering as their "small" grand, with the exception of the first month of its production during which time it was referred to as a "parlor" grand. It was replaced by the Scale 106, which had 7 1/3 octaves, the first piano of which was S/N 73235 (August 1887). A transition piano was made for a very short time, the Scale 93B, which also had 7 1/3 octaves and overlapped the Scale 93 for a little while. I see only about 5 of these made, beginning in December 1886.

As for Chickering's use of 7 octaves versus 7 1/3 octaves, in grands the full complement of keys was used at least as early (and consistently thereafter) as the mid-1862 (S/N 24358 for a semi-grand and 24365 for a full grand) and even earlier in their squares: serial number 22737 from 1860. But as to Swarth's comment, the 93 may in fact be the last grand Chickering made offering only 7 octaves.

Greg

Many, many Chickerings (1831 - 1882).
1817 Clementi Square.
~1855 Mason & Hamlin Melodeon.
1961 John Challis Harpsichord (aluminum soundboard and all).
1 very patient wife.
Re: Would like to know a bit more about my Chickering grand [Re: guyl] #2367018
12/29/14 10:54 PM
12/29/14 10:54 PM
Montreal, Canada
G
guyl Offline OP
guyl  Offline OP
G

Montreal, Canada
Your comments and detailed information are very welcome, to this thread I started last year. Thanks! Yes, it is a model 93 as indicated on the far left of the casting. The history behind these Chickering models is always interesting, including any links you may have. Thanks again.

Re: Would like to know a bit more about my Chickering grand [Re: guyl] #2367130
12/30/14 09:31 AM
12/30/14 09:31 AM
Chesterfield. MA
C
Craig Hair Offline
500 Post Club Member
Craig Hair  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

Chesterfield. MA
Greg,
Where are you looking up your info? Do you have an unpublished history of Chickering production?

Craig Hair
Hampshire Piano
Chesterfield, MA
Conservative Piano Restoration
Watch us on YouTube
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105412259108667869462

Sometimes, all you can hear is the cat snore.
Re: Would like to know a bit more about my Chickering grand [Re: guyl] #2367167
12/30/14 11:43 AM
12/30/14 11:43 AM
Stockholm, Sweden
Michael Sayers Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Michael Sayers  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Stockholm, Sweden
Some of those old Chickerings can have an exquisite sound and can be very responsive to gradations in touch. The brighter sounding ones can be a bit garish in fortissimo but maybe they sound fine in a decent sized hall. I've never heard one in that type of space.

Re: Would like to know a bit more about my Chickering grand [Re: Craig Hair] #2367368
12/30/14 07:35 PM
12/30/14 07:35 PM
Corona CA
L
Larry Hofer Offline
Larry Hofer  Offline
L

Corona CA
I see Greg is in Washington DC. I thinks he must have spent a lot of time pouring over the old Chickering production records that are located at the American History Museum Library.

If these records have been organized to quickly come up with the info he came up with ,I too would be very interested to know if anyone can access them.

Larry Hofer
Hofer Piano Works
Corona CA

Larry Hofer
Hofer Piano Works
Corona CA
Re: Would like to know a bit more about my Chickering grand [Re: guyl] #2367407
12/30/14 09:34 PM
12/30/14 09:34 PM
Seattle
S
SMHaley Offline
1000 Post Club Member
SMHaley  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S

Seattle
I feel that Chickerings are seriously underestimated and undervalued instruments. They aren't the easiest to work on since one can't order off the shelf parts and slap them in. They take a patient finesse when working on them. But my, what a rich, effortless sound they can make when everything is done right! Its not all too common these days to have an instrument that is easy on the hands, ears, and eyes all at the same time. I wouldn't mind a large grand with an art case at all.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder
Chief Instrument Technician, Director, Chancel Arts
Church Music Professional
AA Music Arts 2001, BM Organ, Choral 2005

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Using an Institutional Piano at Home?
by navindra. 09/15/19 04:12 PM
Yohan Kim
by pianoloverus. 09/15/19 03:54 PM
TuneLab iOS testers needed
by Robert Scott. 09/15/19 02:48 PM
piano strings?
by VladK. 09/15/19 12:13 PM
Screwing capstans directly into keystick.
by johnstaf. 09/15/19 06:58 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,049
Posts2,869,708
Members94,421
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission