2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
I've seen plenty of discussion on key names on the keyboard, but I'm confused about something.

Looking at the keyboard, let's say we are looking at a G sharp. Isn't A flat the same key?

Are these used interchangeably or are they stated as what they are based on the key the certain piece is in?

Thanks

S
S
Technically they are the same. As far as notation i believe it follows how the key works. So if the key is G then its going to be called F# not G flat, because that key is written with 1 #. And the key of F will have a B flat not an A# for the same reason.

I'd like if someone can confirm what I'm saying tho as this is just my beginner understanding.

"Doesn't practicing on the piano suck?!?!"
"The joy is in the practicing. It's like relationships. Yeah, orgasms are awesome, but you can't make love to someone who you have no relationship with!"
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by cncwhiz1
Looking at the keyboard, let's say we are looking at a G sharp. Isn't A flat the same key?

Yes.

Are these used interchangeably?

No. Depending on the context of the accidental, one of them is right and the other one isn't. (And sometimes both of them are wrong.)

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
The one word left to add to this discussion is: enharmonic.

It's the word that means the same physically sounding note can be notated different ways (Db, C# is another example.)

You can have enharmonic scales - F#/Gb major is F#/Gb, G#/Ab, A#/Bb, B/Cb, C#/Db, D#/Eb, E#/F, F#/Gb.

Prior to even temperament, G# and Ab wouldn't have sounded the same by the way.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
I
I
Originally Posted by Andy Platt

Can you explain? I'm intrigued.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Info2011

Can you explain? I'm intrigued.

Ugh, it's difficult to explain but basically it used to be common practice to tune instruments so that it was based around ratios of wavelength of 3:2 for perfect fifths. However, when you do that you end up with a slightly different note values for, what we have as enharmonic notes, because they don't divide evenly into an octave.

Perhaps best to just point to this: Pythagorean Tuning.

Kawai K3
S
S
i get intimidated when we start venturing into the aspects as technical as andy is trying to talk about lol

"Doesn't practicing on the piano suck?!?!"
"The joy is in the practicing. It's like relationships. Yeah, orgasms are awesome, but you can't make love to someone who you have no relationship with!"
C
C
It would be most common to use Ab if you are considering the note as the tonic of a scale. If you follow the circle of fifths... B major then Gb then Db then Ab. Ab major, as a scale, has four flats: Ab, Bb, Eb & Db.

If you are interpreting the scale as G# major, it has 8 sharps G#, A#,B#,C#,D#,E#,F##.

Otherwise the note is named in context of the key of the music you are playing or the accidental used...

Last edited by Calgary Mike; 12/16/13 10:58 PM.

Kawai K6 and Yamaha P85
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
The one word left to add to this discussion is: enharmonic.

It's the word that means the same physically sounding note can be notated different ways (Db, C# is another example.)

You can have enharmonic scales - F#/Gb major is F#/Gb, G#/Ab, A#/Bb, B/Cb, C#/Db, D#/Eb, E#/F, F#/Gb.

+1. They are NOT the same note. But we have no choice on the piano since both notes use the same key. The piano key sounds probably somewhere between G# and Ab.

There are even keyboards that have two keys to fix this problem

split sharp wiki

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Note, there are also keyboards having such keys but for a different purpose - two different tunings on the same instrument.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Note, they even have a special key for b# smile

And it all stays an approximation, there is always another problem around the corner. For example, this keyboard does not have a separate key for F##

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Z
Z
I've seen plenty of discussion on key names on the keyboard, but I'm confused about something.

Are these used interchangeably or are they stated as what they are based on the key the certain piece is in?

Thanks

Yes , it is the same. But G# major/E# minor key exists only in theory. Why would you like to write something that has 8 sharps (one double sharp). It is easier to use Ab major with 4 flats.

They are so called theoretical keys (impossible keys), similar is with Db minor key, which is relative key to Fb major key, which has 8 flats (one double). It is easier to use C# minor/E major key. Although I heard some composer used Db minor key.

Theoretically you can use any key, you can compose something in Cx major and you will have a mess with sharps. Why not simply use D major.

But if you are asking just for a single key on the keyboard or a single tone (not the key signature), then it depends on which key you are in. for instance in B major you will name this key G#, if you play something in Eb major then this key will be Ab.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by ZBGM0
They are so called theoretical keys (impossible keys), similar is with Db minor key, which is relative key to Fb major key, which has 8 flats (one double). It is easier to use C# minor/E major key. Although I heard some composer used Db minor key.

Yes. I do run into Bbb in the key signature in wind ensemble music, and there is one famous example in the orchestral literature. I've forgotten the piece, but IIRC on the repeat the bassoon solo is actually notated in E major.

Notation is an imperfect way of describing the intent. While it is true that in musical context an Ab and a G# will usually be slightly different pitches, it is not necessary to notate them differently. It is up to the skilled professional to play them correctly. (given an instrument that can - most of the wind and string instruments can shade the pitch enough, while keyboard and tuned percussion can't)

On the other hand, the editor should know the intended players and notate in the least confusing manner, even if it is not the most correct way by the theory. G# might be the correct way to spell the chord, but if writing for middle school band you're probably better off using Ab. The purist will sneer but that's better than putting up with hearing the wrong note. That's even more true with double sharps and double flats. At a gig where the music is sightread you'd probably want to minimize those, unless some professor is going to grade you.

gotta go practice
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Thanks

Yes , it is the same. But G# major/E# minor key exists only in theory. Why would you like to write something that has 8 sharps (one double sharp). It is easier to use Ab major with 4 flats.

I love to play in B# major, it means I get to use just the white keys! wink

Kawai K3
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T

Thanks

I love to play in B# major, it means I get to use just the white keys! wink

So you spell your I chord B#, xD, xF? Makes my head hurt! Good example though.

gotta go practice
Z
Z
Try to play/write in A triple sharp major. very intereseing key:)

Ax# major:)

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission