2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (B3boy, Animisha, Catlady, 36251, brennbaer, Calavera, 13 invisible), 911 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2198929 12/17/13 04:05 AM
S
suniil Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Last thread helped daughter to make that etude to best of her ability and had some level of success with that. She also learnt Un Sospiro and performed recently. I've included the link, please watch and comment when you all get a chance. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c26xzFx2YYo

PS. I'll let the daughter to have her own account when she turns 13 (if the forum rules, but at the moment I post from my account whilst she is with me.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A wonderful performance! Your daughter has a great sound at the piano and excellent sense of timing and structure. If I could say anything constructive I would say that she should be careful not to over-sentimentalize (er?) a piece such as this one. I do not know this piece very well so take this last comment as you will. She seems to take great care in making it sound nice for lack of a better term and I'm not sure if some of the ritards she used are in the score or not. It is of course her own interpretive decision either way. Again, I certainly enjoyed it and maybe my issues are with the music itself and not the performer. (I will be happy to hear from someone who actually knows something about the score) smile

As one final point, this being a concert etude, it does not sound at all like an etude and I think that is an achievement in itself. Very well done.

H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
Bravo! Very good!

As always with every performance, there is some room for improvement. But considering her age this is indeed a very convincing performance.

Thanks for sharing.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
The only thing that bothered me about this performance was the sound quality which prevented me from fully appreciating what I consider a fine performance of this Etude.

I'm not sure whether it's the reverberation in the hall, the poor pick-up of the mic on the recording device or whether it's the playing, but I find that the left hand accompanying arpeggios, particularly in the opening sections, were far too prominent and they somewhat overshadowed the lyrical melody - one of Liszt's most beautiful. Let that melody sing out - not loudly - but let it soar above the accompaniment; reduce the accompaniment to a gentle murmur until the modulation to F major occurs.

The technique is solid; I was particularly impressed with the speed and fluidity of the two cadenza passages.

I would respectfully disagree with Pathbreaker by saying that this is a piece that can be "milked" for all that it's emotionally worth; in other words, make the most of the lyricism, the drama, and the passion inherent at different moments of the piece. Etude, yes, but it is "Un sospiro" - a sigh, and whatever that sigh is in reaction to: despair, longing, contentment, do make the most of it; use as much rubato as you can, particularly at the end of some phrases (measures 11, 21, the languendo section (39-40) etc.

Thank you so much for sharing this performance. I would love to hear it recorded in a venue that is much kinder to recording; this hall was not, unfortunately, but that often happens with recorded live performances.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Originally Posted by BruceD
....I would respectfully disagree with Pathbreaker by saying that this is a piece that can be "milked" for all that it's emotionally worth; in other words, make the most of the lyricism, the drama, and the passion inherent at different moments of the piece. Etude, yes, but it is "Un sospiro" - a sigh, and whatever that sigh is in reaction to: despair, longing, contentment, do make the most of it; use as much rubato as you can, particularly at the end of some phrases (measures 11, 21, the languendo section (39-40) etc.

I agree completely with Bruce (very well said about "sospiro" in relation to the music). And we should note that Pathbreaker didn't say it flat-out, but with a disclaimer and caveat.

Yet, there might be something in what Pathbreaker said that I felt too -- not at phrase endings, on which I agree with what Bruce said about those, but in middles of phrases. I had the feeling that in a number of those places, the "rubatos" weren't primarily on a musical basis, but rather technical concessions, i.e. taking some extra time mainly because it's a little hard to get the hands back-and-forth fast enough. But, I'll put in a disclaimer/caveat too: Arguably those places helped give the performance such a nice relaxed and expansive feel, so maybe they weren't just technical concessions but part of what's in the music. (I made the same 'criticism' of another member's performance of the piece a few months ago, and a couple of people answered that they felt it was well in line with the music.) But to my ear, indeed they are technical concessions, and I think she might want to listen closely to the recording to see if she feels those mid-phrase delays are really what she wanted to do.

In any event, this is criticism on a very high standard. I didn't make any 'concessions' for age! If I had, I would have just said this is spectacularly wonderful. It is quite wonderful, by any standard. She is a remarkable talented girl. smile

P.S. About the sound quality: I didn't at all have the impression that Bruce expressed. I didn't feel it was any kind of limiting factor. (Also I didn't feel there was any issue of balance and to me the melody "soared" just fine.) But in general I'm less sensitive to tech issues of sound quality than most people are. I'm not even bothered by the quality on those old 78's, surface hiss and all. Somehow my ears automatically adjust for whatever it is and I barely notice the tech difference.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Duh! I forgot to plug in my external speakers! The sound quality is much better now, quite lovely, actually, given the venue. However, I still think that the left hand accompaniment can be reduced in volume.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Originally Posted by BruceD
Duh! I forgot to plug in my external speakers!

External speakers?
What are external speakers? grin

(I only ever listen with the built-in-whatever in my laptop, and I don't notice the sacrifice as compared to my old fancy audio component system. Funny, because when I bought those components, I took such care and expense in comparing different components and getting what I felt was just perfect....)

S
suniil Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you everyone for giving your opinion and suggestions. I'm pretty certain that she will make sure all the concerns are taken care off before this piece is recorded again.

BruceD: FYI, the audio recorded straight to a zoom mic which was not enough to get decent audio quality. Also, I never had luck in getting decent recorded sound from acoustic grand at home. But on digital I'm pretty happy with the quality. If you get a chance please listen to this, which is fully digital. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI7oYbD3IPg

Moderated by  Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which would you recommend and why - K8, K20 or U3?
by plumberpw - 08/17/22 08:00 AM
C2X Silent (SH2)?
by Jadam - 08/17/22 12:25 AM
Happy Birthday, Bill Evans!
by Dfrankjazz - 08/16/22 10:52 PM
F. Weber action removal
by DH83 - 08/16/22 11:33 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,431
Posts3,216,947
Members106,103
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission