2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I've been curious to find something describing anything unique about pianists or studying piano/instruments in general. Like perhaps points about differences in how a musician's brain works or changes in physical aspects from piano playing. Perhaps things that a pianist can do that other people can't do. Maybe someone has done studies and published a journal or articles about it. Anyone come across anything like this?

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
If you go to any research journal and just look up "piano" or "pianists" you'll find a huge amount of interesting stuff. Endless content!

One thing that I remember most, and that struck me: even highly trained pianists have no more agility in their fingers than the average person. You'll read all kinds of interesting stuff like this.

Last edited by Atrys; 12/15/13 05:07 AM.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Pianists: Unique reading skill?

The next time you pick up a book, try reading two or more separate lines of completely different texts concurrently, with instant comprehension. As impossible as this may seem, this is precisely what pianists do when reading music.

Don't speed readers do the same? Perhaps. But there's more. As they read, pianists act simultaneously in accordance with precise instruction.

Ten fingers on the keyboard are directed thereby with two different sets of instructions - abstract notation requiring instant deciphering with a bit of words and abbreviations - one for the left hand and the other for the right hand, and even another set of instructions for the feet - the brain receiving and implementing all processes simultaneously.

Quite remarkable when we think about it.

Last edited by bkw58; 12/15/13 07:39 AM. Reason: typo

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Classical pianists generally are barking mad during the full moon.

A high percentage of classical pianists are necrophiliacs.

Many classical pianists think their hands are made of something other than what regular people's hands are made of.

Classical pianists tend to either (a.) wear enough scent to annoy others at a distance of 20 meters, or (b.) smell funky because they think deodorants will hurt them.

During autopsies, it has been discovered that many classical pianists do not have differentiated left and right brain hemispheres, or even brains as such, but instead have skulls full of a mysterious substance that resembles lumpy polenta.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
HMMM BRAINS TASTY!

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
....During autopsies, it has been discovered that many classical pianists do not have differentiated left and right brain hemispheres, or even brains as such, but instead have skulls full of a mysterious substance that resembles lumpy polenta.

But that's not just pianists -- it's people in general!
In fact, the fact is that the human body, inside, is just solid straight through, like a baked potato. The mumbo-jumbo about "internal organs" and stuff like that is just a fraud perpetrated by the medical establishment, to perpetuate the notion that they have any special expertise.

(that was a joke)

And BTW I can't take credit for it. The National Lampoon said it, circa 1971. smile

But anyway....the OP does deserve serious thought. It's quite possible that people who are remarkably skilled at things like playing the piano and/or memorizing complex music (which are separate things!) have outlying aspects of their central nervous systems -- not way out, but maybe 1 or 2 or 3 standard deviations from the norm -- and that even if they don't, playing the piano and working on complex music over a period of time produces such changes to some extent. And we'd have to say also that this wouldn't be unique to piano and pianists; we could speculate similar things about any number of other endeavors.

About physical aspects: If you mean in the hands and arms, sure. I think people with larger or more supple (or whatever) hands are more likely to become serious pianists, and playing the piano can make our hands change. (Like, just ask Schumann.) grin

Journal articles and the like?? Maybe some people know of something, but I don't.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I am extremely good at remembering patterns, for example, when I am grading papers with short answers, I memorize the pattern of the answers. I'm sure ths is piano related.

Best regards,

Deborah
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Surf over to the teachers' forum--there's a thread there discussing a Huffington Post description of a study comparing English speaking musicians, English speaking non-musicians, and Cantonese speakers on several pitch related tasks. The thread has Cantonese and Mandarin in the title.

Follow the links to get to the real study write up, follow the references for that study, do a citations search, and you'll find what you are looking for. There exists a considerable body of research.

Learner
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Not sure if it's a result of my musical abilities, but I have a knack for looking at a group or pile of things and being able to instantly tell you how many there are.Like if you had a bunch of toothpicks in your hand, I could look at it and in less than a second tell you how many there are. If I'm not dead on I'm usually within 2-3 off the actual number.

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinLives81
Not sure if it's a result of my musical abilities, but I have a knack for looking at a group or pile of things and being able to instantly tell you how many there are.Like if you had a bunch of toothpicks in your hand, I could look at it and in less than a second tell you how many there are. If I'm not dead on I'm usually within 2-3 off the actual number.

I read in one of those "men vs. women" books that this was a gender trait - that in general if a man looks at 5 objects he knows how many there are without counting, whereas a woman has to count them. I don't know of any other researched facts, but my favorite personal theory is that I now have better reflexes than I used to - because I will often catch things I drop before they hit the floor.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
S
S
I read in a book that learning an instrument is a great way to prevent Alzheimer's.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Pianists are the masters of tapping their fingers on a table.

This ability also creates the ability to be banned from transport by commercial airlines.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
B
B
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Pianists are the masters of tapping their fingers on a table.

This ability also creates the ability to be banned from transport by commercial airlines.

Pianists can do many things with their fingers that 'normal' people can't - like 'drumming' |(i.e. trilling) with the third/fourth/fifth fingers while resting (and without moving) the thumb and index finger lightly on the table.

Impress your non-playing friends and foes this Christmas..... grin

If music be the food of love, play on!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm really good at pressing buttons.

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Expertise in ceiling appreciation.

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FSO
Expertise in ceiling appreciation.

^

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission