2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 6 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2197214 12/13/13 08:33 PM
R
rnaple Offline OP

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
I can't believe it. Only two days. She's here.

I got done at work. Called my apartment manager's office. Asked if UPS dropped it off with them? She said: "They sure did. I tried to tell them I didn't want that huge thing in here. But they wouldn't listen."
So I got to find out how you get an 85 pound monolith up three flights of stairs. Very simple... one step at a time.

She's absolutely beautiful. Just played the keys a little is all so far.
I love the keys. The key surfaces. The feel. The look. She's beautiful. I'm in love.

I think I'm gonna stick with the simple way to set the curves. With a key and power button.
I did set up my ms based laptop to do it. It's just easier like this.
Any reason I should go ahead set it up in the laptop?

Question: The orange on the power button for Ivory. Looks more like top half is red and bottom half is white.

Question: Somebody asked about pictures. Do you people actually want pictures of the unpacking? I went ahead and took them. Yup there's a hole in the box. I think that is an old lady who works for Homeland Security making sure there ain't nothing in there.

I might get a stand. The feet come right to the edge of this table. Half on and off. Gee....the only stands I really like are the K&M. Like that Omega. Don't want cheap and wobbly.

Basically... I'm impressed. This is a seriously nice keyboard. She's a real sweetie. Tons of feel.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Congratulations! I for one would love to see pics of the unpacking.

Congrats! Please post pics!

W. Hoffmann V120/Vario
KAWAI ES-8
R
rnaple Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
Update....
I'll post pics...probably tomorrow night.....too busy playing now... smile

Can someone explain the little notch at the bottom of the stroke of the key when I play softly. Not there when not soft.
Don't really have an opinion on it. I do notice it.

This playing, I'm thinking, more like a real piano. I'm having to get used to it. It is truly fine....great to play.

The keys keep impressing me more and more. I thought I would be a little disappointed from my limited experience playing the CA93 and another one that had RM2 plastic keys. These are just plain higher quality keys. Love the finish. The pivot on them seems perfect. To this lowly beginner...this feels very much like a real piano. Ivory is just plain playing better with it also.

Last edited by rnaple; 12/13/13 11:47 PM. Reason: typo

Ron
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by rnaple
Can someone explain the little notch at the bottom of the stroke of the key when I play softly. Not there when not soft.

Unless I'm completely confused (possible!) that's "let-off". I feel it on my grand piano, and here's Kawai James 3 years ago:

"As with an acoustic grand piano, it's a very subtle feeling that you only notice when playing notes very slowly. However, some pianists believe that understanding this 'notch' allows them to improve the expressiveness of pianissimo passages."

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by pwl

Unless I'm completely confused (possible!) that's "let-off". I feel it on my grand piano, and here's Kawai James 3 years ago:

"As with an acoustic grand piano, it's a very subtle feeling that you only notice when playing notes very slowly. However, some pianists believe that understanding this 'notch' allows them to improve the expressiveness of pianissimo passages."

Yep, that's what it is. It hasn't worked for me so far. The risk of my playing ghosted notes increases as I approach the pianissimo end. The designers mean well - either that or they're appealing to a popular notion that AP 'authenticity' for its own sake is a worthy goal . Maybe I'll learn to control it, maybe not but in any case according to a thread posted by joflah, the let-off mechanism is 'removable' with a minor surgical procedure. I'll wait until the warranty expires unless I master let-off in the meantime. I expect to fail.

R
rnaple Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
I can already see where the let off would be useful.
I'm taking it for granted that my Ivory is set up perfectly...
I can play so softly slowly that it does not play a note.
Using that let off to play just as softly as possible without not playing.
This is very useful.

Thank you for the input. The more I play this. The more I see it's like a real grand.
Yes, it's a simulator. But there are simulators, and there are simulators. I've been in the good simulator that NASA had in Houston to learn to fly the Shuttle. It is something. This is more like that kind of simulator. A good one.
I'm taking the opinions of piano players I've read saying that this is easily transferrable to a real piano. That I'm imagining is true.

I hope James passes on to his colleagues that I'm so very happy with my VPC. They did a great job. This is what I imagined in my mind when first buying a DP. Was disappointed till now.

Yes, I for one would suggest; Any beginner who has the money. Just get this. You'll avoid tons of wasting time on forums finding out about DP's.

Ron
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by dire tonic
It hasn't worked for me so far. The risk of my playing ghosted notes increases as I approach the pianissimo end. The designers mean well - either that or they're appealing to a popular notion that AP 'authenticity' for its own sake is a worthy goal . Maybe I'll learn to control it, maybe not but in any case according to a thread posted by joflah, the let-off mechanism is 'removable' with a minor surgical procedure. I'll wait until the warranty expires unless I master let-off in the meantime. I expect to fail.

The warranty period is designed to be just long enough for neophytes to learn to make the 'let-off' feel work to their expressive advantage (provided they practise assiduously), but not long enough for them to master the necessary surgical skills that's required for the intricate operative procedure to excise the offending mechanism.

Unless, of course, if you're already a FRCS, in which case all bets are off......

If music be the food of love, play on!
Congrats Ron!

I'm glad to read that the VPC1 was worth the wait! wink

As for the stand...definitely pick up a good quality one as soon as you can. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
R
rnaple Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
Ok....here is a link to the album....yup... included the unboxing (Doh!) ....
New VPC

Ron
R
rnaple Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
I just wanted to add. I think I probably got three grand in this piano setup. The VPC, monitors, software. I seriously don't think I can come close to this with an acoustic anywhere near this price. I'd have to jump up to five figures to exceed this.
Thank you James. Please, again, thank you colleagues for me. They did a beautiful job.

For now. I bought some gasket material. Cork, rubber mixed. Used it to form bars for support. Substitute for the feet. I have to watch money close for the time being. Congratulate myself. I've eaten only at home since I bought this. She does deserve a nice stand though.

Ron
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
That's beautiful! And I like your lamps. Plus . . . kitten on the keys (almost)!

J
J
Are we twins? I just got mine from UPS today as well. I'm a beginner, but I'm extremely excited about learning on this. I was lucky enough to happen to play on a kawai acoustic today just after buying the VPC, and Kawai did a great job translating the action of real keys into the DP

R
rnaple Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by jborica
Are we twins? I just got mine from UPS today as well. I'm a beginner,...

Congratulations on being a very wise beginner! Also congrats on the VPC.
Us adults have a real problem retraining our nervous system to pick up the sophistication of all ten fingers individually at the same time. It helps a lot to have a good keyboard to train on. I had an old M8000. (It broke) It was good. Not this good though. That excellent feedback to the nerves helps a ton.
Congratulations again! You're very wise!

pwl... Thank you. I love animals. All animals. Had a german shorthaired pointer that shocked me. I could swear that dog was truly alive. Moreso than most human beings. Cat's are easy to take care of. I love them. The spotted one is my sweetie. Talk to her and she talks back. Just to let me know she understands I'm trying to communicate with her. She's a real sweetie. That framed poster on the wall is of Koko the Gorilla and her pet kitten. smile

Oh ... BTW.... James? Oh... James? ... About that Godzilla Metronome... HHHHhhhuuuuuuuuummmm?????? smile smile smile

Ron
You`re a brave fella taking on all those wires/connections/infrastructure! I`m a "switch on and go" fella. I have Pianoteq but it never gets used `cos I don`t like a separate sound system and I have no input on my DP . . . .I like the front panel wi the "Kawai" bit on it; wouldn`t mind betting your keyboard would fit into a real grand piano frame . . .then you could fool everyone . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
-nice pics Ron. I bet you issued forth a gasp of pleasure when you first drew back that protective plastic sheet!

Originally Posted by bennevis
The warranty period is designed to be just long enough for neophytes to learn to make the 'let-off' feel work to their expressive advantage (provided they practise assiduously), but not long enough for them to master the necessary surgical skills that's required for the intricate operative procedure to excise the offending mechanism.

Unless, of course, if you're already a FRCS, in which case all bets are off......

Heheh, I thought warranties were designed to be just long enough for the merchandise to hold together in one piece. Mastery of the let-off is as likely to be achievable as reaching my own reflection so assiduous practice isn't on the cards. In the absence of an independent witness to a genuinely creative let-off experience, I'm inclined to the suspicion that the whole thing is a cruel hoax, an April fool's joke.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
a thing of beauty is a joy forever

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I've eaten only at home since I bought this. She does deserve a nice stand though.

I was expecting more of a shotgun shack in the pix wink

C
C
Congrats, rnaple. smile The VPC looks great. If I was going the software piano way, it'd be my first choice. thumb

As for me, I think I'm going to head over to Amazon and grab me a piece of the Schindler's List sheet music. laugh

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Congratulations dude..By chance have you named her? wink

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission