Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
107 registered members (amyram, apianostudent, 36251, AndrewJCW, accordeur, Apoll0, ando, 27 invisible), 1,485 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: True Keys American D - First Impression [Re: Macy] #2194942
12/09/13 11:47 AM
12/09/13 11:47 AM
Sweden
TheodorN Offline
2000 Post Club Member
TheodorN  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sweden
So sorry daz100, forgot the link, stupid me. Here it is, though a lot later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaySfnlRFa4

Bfb, your observations are very good, I'm going to try this the next time I record myself. I use the internal DP's voices when recording, but sometimes feel the sound is a bit flat in the recording, sounds better at the time of playing, through my headphones.

My YouTube channel

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX. Prod. Voices: Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand Compact, Est. Grand, Studio Grand LE. NI Giant. Galaxy II Bl├╝thner Baby Grand. AcousticSamples C7. AK Studio Grand. Sampletekk Black. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: True Keys American D - First Impression [Re: Macy] #2196778
12/13/13 12:41 AM
12/13/13 12:41 AM
C
CountSmith Offline
CountSmith  Offline
C

I bought the American grand version yesterday so I thought I'd share my first impressions. I am a late beginner/intermediate classical player and I've played on a DP since the start. I rarely play on acoustics but a month ago, I had a chance to play on my uncle's upright Steinway for a long time and needless to say, returning to my DP was definitely underwhelming.

My plan was to replace my current DP with a VPC1 and purchase a VST. Since the VPC1 has no on-board sounds, I first wanted to see if I could get used to always having to connect my laptop to my DP for sounds.

Compared to the on-board sound of my Technics SX-PC25, I am really happy with True Keys. The demos on the website are perfectly accurate to what hear when you play the VST yourself. I can't possibly describe the sound as well as if you just listen to the demos. The most important thing however, is that I no longer feel the need to upgrade my current DP to something better, not for a while at least. I can be much more expressive when I play. Some the best noticeable features I enjoy are the staccato notes and the decay of sustained notes. Compared to the monotonous sound of my current DP, with true keys, simply hitting sustained chords and listening to them go on is such a pleasure because there is such a rich variation in tone with time.

For 100$, I am very satisfied with True Keys. I think that to truly test a VST, you should test it with classical music as this kind of music's complexity compared to simple, slow pop or jazz really tests the playability of the instrument. What I mean is that when I tried Vintage D, I liked the sound of individual notes and chords but I couldn't play anything classical on it. When I tried Pianoteq, it was definitely playable, but I could never get passed the synthetic sound of it (even with ~20 hours of playing with the demo). I also like that I am not constantly tweaking controls to find the "right" sound. Within an hour I found my preferred settings and I am not going to touch them any more, I can just play.

There are some things that can be improved. I think that the sustained resonance volume should have a larger range. It is currently very good, but sustained playing on the upright Steinway I tried is very distinct then its regular damped sound. I also feel that the mid-high notes have a slightly metallic sound to them but it is not really distracting when I play. I however don't have enough experience with acoustic grands to say if it is overly metallic or not.

It is not perfect, but by listening to recordings of Ravel's Jeux D'eau on real Steinway D's and then to the True keys demo, I find True keys to be excellent approximation. I am happiest about not needing new hardware and that is why I wanted to post my impression. I would surely love a better action to acompany the sound of True Keys, but right now, it is good enough. I am sure that the improvement I get spending by 100$ on software cannot be matched by spending 2000+$ on a new keyboard and that is why I will hold off buying hardware for now. I can finally play again without wanting anything better.

Last edited by CountSmith; 12/13/13 01:32 AM.
Re: True Keys American D - First Impression [Re: CountSmith] #2196903
12/13/13 09:22 AM
12/13/13 09:22 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by CountSmith
I bought the American grand version yesterday so I thought I'd share my first impressions. I am a late beginner/intermediate classical player and I've played on a DP since the start. I rarely play on acoustics but a month ago, I had a chance to play on my uncle's upright Steinway for a long time and needless to say, returning to my DP was definitely underwhelming.

My plan was to replace my current DP with a VPC1 and purchase a VST. Since the VPC1 has no on-board sounds, I first wanted to see if I could get used to always having to connect my laptop to my DP for sounds.

Compared to the on-board sound of my Technics SX-PC25, I am really happy with True Keys. The demos on the website are perfectly accurate to what hear when you play the VST yourself. I can't possibly describe the sound as well as if you just listen to the demos. The most important thing however, is that I no longer feel the need to upgrade my current DP to something better, not for a while at least. I can be much more expressive when I play. Some the best noticeable features I enjoy are the staccato notes and the decay of sustained notes. Compared to the monotonous sound of my current DP, with true keys, simply hitting sustained chords and listening to them go on is such a pleasure because there is such a rich variation in tone with time.

For 100$, I am very satisfied with True Keys. I think that to truly test a VST, you should test it with classical music as this kind of music's complexity compared to simple, slow pop or jazz really tests the playability of the instrument. What I mean is that when I tried Vintage D, I liked the sound of individual notes and chords but I couldn't play anything classical on it. When I tried Pianoteq, it was definitely playable, but I could never get passed the synthetic sound of it (even with ~20 hours of playing with the demo). I also like that I am not constantly tweaking controls to find the "right" sound. Within an hour I found my preferred settings and I am not going to touch them any more, I can just play.

There are some things that can be improved. I think that the sustained resonance volume should have a larger range. It is currently very good, but sustained playing on the upright Steinway I tried is very distinct then its regular damped sound. I also feel that the mid-high notes have a slightly metallic sound to them but it is not really distracting when I play. I however don't have enough experience with acoustic grands to say if it is overly metallic or not.

It is not perfect, but by listening to recordings of Ravel's Jeux D'eau on real Steinway D's and then to the True keys demo, I find True keys to be excellent approximation. I am happiest about not needing new hardware and that is why I wanted to post my impression. I would surely love a better action to acompany the sound of True Keys, but right now, it is good enough. I am sure that the improvement I get spending by 100$ on software cannot be matched by spending 2000+$ on a new keyboard and that is why I will hold off buying hardware for now. I can finally play again without wanting anything better.
I'm confused...are you saying the VPC1 isn't a good action, or did you end up just using the Technics as your DP with the American D VST?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: True Keys American D - First Impression [Re: Macy] #2196915
12/13/13 09:46 AM
12/13/13 09:46 AM
uk south
D
dire tonic Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dire tonic  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

uk south
Erin, I think he's saying the sound and playability of the VST is good enough that he no longer feels the need to replace his existing kbd with a better one (a VPC1).

Re: True Keys American D - First Impression [Re: CountSmith] #2196920
12/13/13 10:00 AM
12/13/13 10:00 AM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Portugal
Morodiene, seems to me countsmith answers your question in his post here:

Compared to the on-board sound of my Technics SX-PC25, I am really happy with True Keys. The demos on the website are perfectly accurate to what hear when you play the VST yourself. I can't possibly describe the sound as well as if you just listen to the demos. The most important thing however, is that I no longer feel the need to upgrade my current DP to something better, not for a while at least.

....I would surely love a better action to acompany the sound of True Keys, but right now, it is good enough. I am sure that the improvement I get spending by 100$ on software cannot be matched by spending 2000+$ on a new keyboard and that is why I will hold off buying hardware for now. I can finally play again without wanting anything better.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Re: True Keys American D - First Impression [Re: CountSmith] #2196947
12/13/13 11:00 AM
12/13/13 11:00 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
semo Offline
semo  Offline
S

Ontario, Canada
I bought the American grand version yesterday so I thought I'd share my first impressions.

Thanks for sharing. And may I ask what kind of computer and audio/speakers are you using and do you experience any latency comparing to the onboard sound?

CA95, Sennheiser HD598
Re: True Keys American D - First Impression [Re: semo] #2196980
12/13/13 11:56 AM
12/13/13 11:56 AM
C
CountSmith Offline
CountSmith  Offline
C

Originally Posted by Morodiene
I'm confused...are you saying the VPC1 isn't a good action, or did you end up just using the Technics as your DP with the American D VST?

No, I am still using my Technics DP which I've always owned. I can't comment on the VPC1 action as the only music store who sells it in my area had sold all of its stock of kawai DP's when I wanted to try it a few days ago. I guess they must be popular.

Originally Posted by semo
Thanks for sharing. And may I ask what kind of computer and audio/speakers are you using and do you experience any latency comparing to the onboard sound?

I am using a 4 year old Asus laptop with a 1.6 GHz quad core i7, 4 GB RAM and a 5400RPM hard drive and ATH-m50 headphones.Everything runs fine and I haven't had latency problems but I haven't checked the actual latency time. It's not so hardware intensive but loading times are sort of long (1-2 minutes) so I will probably always leave the software loaded on my RAM unless I need extra space.

Re: True Keys American D - First Impression [Re: Macy] #2197493
12/14/13 01:38 PM
12/14/13 01:38 PM
Perth, Western Australia
J
Jayden Offline
Jayden  Offline
J

Perth, Western Australia
Does this software possess any MIDI recording/playback and/or audio recording capabilities?

Or one one have to resort to third party software trickery in order to record the sounds?

XXXV [Linked Image]
XXXIII [Linked Image]
Re: True Keys American D - First Impression [Re: Jayden] #2200931
12/21/13 12:07 PM
12/21/13 12:07 PM
D
daz100 Offline
daz100  Offline
D

Originally Posted by Jayden
Does this software possess any MIDI recording/playback and/or audio recording capabilities?

Or one one have to resort to third party software trickery in order to record the sounds?

I don't think true keys allows you to record audio or midi ,it's just a stand alone player.
You would have to have a host to sequence recording.

Kawai VPC1,True keys American,Ivory Grand pianos, Pianoteq 6.0 and Ravenscroft
Re: True Keys American D - First Impression [Re: Macy] #2399984
03/19/15 05:18 AM
03/19/15 05:18 AM
Italy
S
Superbaffone Offline
Superbaffone  Offline
S

Italy
My demo of VI Labs True Keys "American Grand"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sMlYbhUvxU

Re: True Keys American D - First Impression [Re: Macy] #2801572
01/13/19 03:22 PM
01/13/19 03:22 PM
S
Sammo Offline
Sammo  Offline
S

I find True Keys pianos very responsive, maby most responsive of vst pianos I have tried. I play their Italian grand and Ravenscroft. Especially Italian Grand is so good! With Ivory pianos I have problems, it is hard to go from very soft to very loud smoothly especially in fast playing. Still trying to get it work after many years beause I like the sound.

Here is two pieces, both played with True Keys Italian grand.

Here is my own composition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS8JPjKbvyM

Here is Minute waltz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Rjp8ylEys

Last edited by Sammo; 01/13/19 03:27 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Missing Marty...5 years on
by Retsacnal. 10/22/19 09:42 PM
"Standard" Regulation Job
by Seeker. 10/22/19 08:58 PM
Best Online Jazz Piano Courses?
by PlayitSam. 10/22/19 08:54 PM
in honor of Monica K
by Medved1. 10/22/19 08:45 PM
Sauter vs Bechstein vs Schimmel uprights
by GSeb. 10/22/19 08:04 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,681
Posts2,882,299
Members94,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission