2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
BDB #2194994 12/09/13 01:44 PM
B
BDB Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
B
Not only has the tuning not changed in that recording, the comments have not either.

On the other hand, that piano has been tuned 4 or 5 times since that was made.

Semipro Tech
Olek #2195066 12/09/13 03:39 PM
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Olek
I may have lost some of my goodwill energy, may be.

I don't do much concert work those days indeed. You would it be you had to listen to numerous samples of my work so you could admit how great I am...

You can stay sitting, no problem. Beside, I am presumptuous as all Frenchies probably.
With all due respect to honorable colleagues...

Isaac, you sayin you're a hazbin?

No no no. That accolade belongs to me and I'm not ready to relinquish it yet.

Just a little longer???

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

BDB #2195280 12/09/13 09:19 PM
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks for posting, BDB. It sounds good as one would expect in a broadcast recording. Kawais of that era did not have the best of bridge caps. That could contribute to the short sustain, also contamination such as some kind of muck that we don't really see but is there. If you are a tuner asked to tune a piano for an event like this, there are some things you can't change on the spot. Leave to Isaac, however to not find anything nice to say about anyone's efforts.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
BDB #2195287 12/09/13 09:38 PM
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
About 20 minutes in there's a nice piano solo. Nice job BDB! The piano sounded marvelous!

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, Nebraska
www.thattuningguy.com
rXd #2196133 12/11/13 03:57 PM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by rxd
Originally Posted by bkw58
Does the pianist not have at least something to say about it? It's not like he's poking around on an old Underwood. He takes the best that the tuner can provide with what he has to work with and creates his desire with very specific skills at his finger tips.

I must confess to not listening again, I started to but refused to pick through all the talking but the pianist can do much more than we think.

The sustain varies very subtly from note to note in all pianos. A stage piano doesn't always get the maintenance it should and equality of sustain suffers.
while there are ways of poking through the strings with a long needle to obtain more sustain from the hammer, tuning on the day of a big production like this rarely allows for any refinement.

I have to sincerely question isaacs experience of this kind of work. He claims to know but his comments show a distinct lack of understanding. There's more of self promotion in his nit picking criticism. I would expect sympathy with the situation from a real fellow professional. He sounds to me like a really talented amateur who hangs around the profession and then totally falls apart when the real job has to be done. I've known quite a few.

rxd,

I think that only a boor would direct those words to a technician as Isaac, and I do not see how that style can help to describe our work. I think you ought to apologize.

alfredo
alfredo capurso #2196202 12/11/13 06:32 PM
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by alfredo capurso
Originally Posted by rxd
Originally Posted by bkw58
Does the pianist not have at least something to say about it? It's not like he's poking around on an old Underwood. He takes the best that the tuner can provide with what he has to work with and creates his desire with very specific skills at his finger tips.

I must confess to not listening again, I started to but refused to pick through all the talking but the pianist can do much more than we think.

The sustain varies very subtly from note to note in all pianos. A stage piano doesn't always get the maintenance it should and equality of sustain suffers.
while there are ways of poking through the strings with a long needle to obtain more sustain from the hammer, tuning on the day of a big production like this rarely allows for any refinement.

I have to sincerely question isaacs experience of this kind of work. He claims to know but his comments show a distinct lack of understanding. There's more of self promotion in his nit picking criticism. I would expect sympathy with the situation from a real fellow professional. He sounds to me like a really talented amateur who hangs around the profession and then totally falls apart when the real job has to be done. I've known quite a few.

rxd,

I think that only a boor would direct those words to a technician as Isaac, and I do not see how that style can help to describe our work. I think you ought to apologize.

I quite agree and understand fully where you're coming from and the emotional content carried over from other threads. - an all too common occurrence.
Since you raised the issue again, It took a few words in order to address an ongoing problem. A totally unfounded, unnecessary and pretentious criticism of a compressed recording couldn't go unchallenged at the same level.

Am I to assume that you agree with isaacs original "criticism" when he himself posted later an admission that he really couldn't tell the difference between what was the piano and what was the tuning and then delete that post a few hours later?

I suggest you read the complete thread. It's all there and doesn't need the deleted parts to be indefensible.

Constructive criticism-Yes.
Self serving, Ill considered boorish and unfounded carping,- a resounding No.

Amanda Reckonwith
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

BDB #2196344 12/12/13 12:00 AM
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
When I first began piano tuning it was rare for a technician to tune for another or to seek out other tuners opinion of their work. Then some brave souls such as Jim Colemen Sr., Jack Caskey, and a few others I am forgetting at the moment would present programs where they tuned for the attendees. We have progressed in openness.

Thanks for posting the clip BDB.

Last edited by Ed McMorrow, RPT; 12/12/13 12:00 AM. Reason: spelling

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
BDB #2196378 12/12/13 02:26 AM
B
BDB Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Those of us who tune for performances are always putting our tunings on display, although it is usually fairly anonymous. I have tuned that piano for a movie, where I am fairly certain that I did not get credit. (I have not seen it, and heard it was not very good. The plot seemed stupid.) I will tune it one more time this year for New Year's Eve.

I got curious, and found that there are a number of videos with pianos that I had tuned on YouTube. Many of them are amateur recordings and they do not sound very good, although the tuning seems adequate. There are better recordings of many performances which remain locked in the vaults until who knows when, the archival recordings of performances.

Semipro Tech
rXd #2196486 12/12/13 11:33 AM
L
L
Originally Posted by rxd

rxd:
Was you drunk or what?

lluiscl #2196492 12/12/13 12:04 PM
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by lluiscl
Originally Posted by rxd

rxd:
Was you drunk or what?

I've known a lot of people like you, too.

Go back and educate yourself with the details. It's about making crass judgements then admitting not enough knowledge of the situation and looking foolish.

Sound familiar?

Oh, and I don't have a reason to drink.

Amanda Reckonwith

rXd #2196494 12/12/13 12:08 PM
L
L
rxd... sounds like a model of car...

BDB #2196529 12/12/13 01:20 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...rxd... sounds like a model of car..."

lluis, if you can't support your argument by anything better than an outright ad hominem attack, you would do better to keep silent. It's not the kind of board where such is tolerated for long.

Clef

lluiscl #2196531 12/12/13 01:26 PM
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R

.......and faster than most.

Amanda Reckonwith

Jeff Clef #2196537 12/12/13 01:33 PM
L
L
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef

lluis, if you can't support your argument by anything better than an outright ad hominem attack, you would do better to keep silent. It's not the kind of board where such is tolerated for long.

Yes, you are right.
But, FIRST, I think, Mr. rxd must clarify (apologize) his unjustified attacks against Mr. Olek.

BDB #2196550 12/12/13 02:02 PM
B
BDB Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I think Mr Oleg makes attacks on others all the time. It is hard to tell, because his writing is so unclear. Because of his poor writing, I consider everything he says to be unjustified, in the most literal sense of the word. I tend to ignore him, except when what he says may be construed as harmful, which is pretty often, unfortunately.

I do not understand what he said about the sustain of the piano. I think the sustain of that piano is about par for a 45 year old Kawai. New strings and hammers would help, I know, but they are not in the budget, except for those strings which have been replaced as they break, which do not count. I ignored his comment, but it seems to have poisoned other people's perception.

Semipro Tech
lluiscl #2196565 12/12/13 03:05 PM
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R

Yes, you are right.
But, FIRST, I think, Mr. rxd must clarify (apologize) his unjustified attacks against Mr. Olek.

Then, why didn't you simply say that in the first place?

Amanda Reckonwith

rXd #2196570 12/12/13 03:28 PM
L
L
Originally Posted by rxd
Originally Posted by rxd

rxd:
Was you drunk or what?

I've known a lot of people like you, too.

Really? Do you know me, TOO?
We can begin FIRST for this sentence.

(Me, and other, are waiting for your apologizes too, FIRST).

lluiscl #2196584 12/12/13 03:54 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Yes, you are right.

Querulant alert.

Kees

rXd #2196623 12/12/13 05:32 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by rxd

.......and faster than most.

And still with plastic parts.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder
Chief Instrument Technician, Director, Chancel Arts
Church Music Professional
AA Music Arts 2001, BM Organ, Choral 2005

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single
BDB #2196759 12/12/13 11:56 PM
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Maybe RXD is a new McLaren model. Bet that has gobs of carbon fiber in it!

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission