2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
43 members (barbaram, Bentsch, Boboulus, clothearednincompo, Animisha, Alex C, cliowa, Abdol, 12 invisible), 447 guests, and 498 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Concert Grands and Poodles
#2196076 12/11/13 01:11 PM
K
kalee21 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
A few weeks ago I achieved my dream of purchasing a dream piano, a new Steingraeber E-272 concert grand. Regarding the piano itself, everything is fantastic. The problem is with my pet Boris Poodle. To put things bluntly, there have been some tiddlings. Not thank goodness on the piano, but rather in the hallway always late at night. I have been spending a lot of time at the piano (when not at work) rather than sitting on the sofa cuddling Boris quite so much. I have been giving him additional walkies and treats. Never was a problem with the old Steinway but that was already in the house when Boris arrived. Boris initially beds in the hallway on his mattress but quickly migrates into the living room which is not off limits to him. Any advice welcome.

Steingraeber E-272 and Walcker pipe organ
Re: Concert Grands and Poodles
kalee21 #2196095 12/11/13 01:37 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kalee21
A few weeks ago I achieved my dream of purchasing a dream piano, a new Steingraeber E-272 concert grand. Regarding the piano itself, everything is fantastic. The problem is with my pet Boris Poodle. To put things bluntly, there have been some tiddlings. Not thank goodness on the piano, but rather in the hallway always late at night. I have been spending a lot of time at the piano (when not at work) rather than sitting on the sofa cuddling Boris quite so much. I have been giving him additional walkies and treats. Never was a problem with the old Steinway but that was already in the house when Boris arrived. Boris initially beds in the hallway on his mattress but quickly migrates into the living room which is not off limits to him. Any advice welcome.

Ya...

Keep the Living Room OFF LIMITS!

And congrats on the piano!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
kalee21 #2196127 12/11/13 02:39 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
He loves you more than the piano, probably just needs some more time with you for a while to get him over the hump.

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

kalee21 #2196211 12/11/13 06:05 PM
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Doggies are such social, loving creatures.
He is probably insecure.
You really should make a pedestal bed for him. One that sits high at key level. Set it right next to your piano stool. Then he can be right there with you when you play.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
kalee21 #2196221 12/11/13 06:15 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Contrary to popular belief, dogs do not have human feelings of jealousy or revenge. Could be something as simple as a urinary tract infection. Get him checked out.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

dynamobt #2196237 12/11/13 06:49 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dynamobt
Contrary to popular belief, dogs do not have human feelings of jealousy or revenge. Could be something as simple as a urinary tract infection. Get him checked out.

I agree. Rule out anything physical before looking into the physiological. It’s true that dogs don’t reason in the same terms of human emotions, but they can become anxious about the unfamiliar. That said, some breeds/individual dogs are very sensitive to changes in their environment. There may be something about the new piano that Boris finds unsettling. It might be the different smell, the sound, the visual footprint. Dogs’ sense of smell is light years beyond ours, as is their hearing. The fact that Boris is urinating in the house when he hasn’t previously may be the manifestation of his unease. You probably already know that you shouldn’t scold him. A dog that is housebroken doesn’t become “unhousebroken” for no reason.

Assuming that there are no physical reasons for his urination, you may have to condition him that the new piano is the source of good things. Whatever his high value reward, maybe a special food treat, or a specific toy, condition Boris to relate the piano to his special reward. It may take a little more effort for you in the beginning, but helping him past his unrest will make you both happier, not to mention no more puddles in the house.

Patty

A tired dog is a good dog.

Perzina GP-187
Kawai CP209

kalee21 #2196366 12/12/13 12:48 AM
K
kalee21 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Many thanks everyone,
I am trying to get Boris used to the steingraeber, I believe its power was something of a surprise for him. I have adopted PattyP's reward suggestion and his favourite sofa is very close to the piano. I will try him with the old piano stool like rnaple suggests. He never gets scolded, just the word no, but you can only use that immediately you see something. Lets see. He seems happy and healthy.

Last edited by kalee21; 12/12/13 12:50 AM.

kalee21 #2196371 12/12/13 01:06 AM
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
First of all congratulations! I heard recordings of the steingraeber and it sounds like a fantastic piano.

Having recently purchased my dream piano myself, and also owning a small dog I have thought of the what if he pees on the piano as well.

Here is what I came up with:
First of all, your dog is part of your family so obviously getting rid of the dog is out of the question! Obviously!!
Secondly, its not like he could ever pee on the keys or the strings or the soundboard. Just the legs. They are just leg! You could always buy new legs if there ever was an accident you could not recover from. That is where I'm at with my thinking.

A dog is a dog and you never know what would happen. My dog never did his business in the house but hey, things happen.

If the dog seems to gravitate towards the piano and marking it as its own, you can fence the piano area, or wrap some towels around the lower parts of the legs I guess.

Hey, if your dog ever pees on the legs take it as a compliment, your doggie has good taste hahaha. Expensive taste smile

dynamobt #2196373 12/12/13 01:12 AM
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H

Hahaha. How do you know this? Are you a dog?

I don't want to start an argument and I do respect your opinion and understand that many believe as you do, but coming from a dog owner, let us have our bliss in our ignorance and don't say such things smile. Hahaha. Capish?

dynamobt #2196374 12/12/13 01:17 AM

Based on my experience, I disagree. My old Mastiff was brilliant, my current English bulldog has a preference for composers. Dogs are pretty adept...

kalee21 #2196392 12/12/13 02:29 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
If I may misquote slightly, 'Four legs good, three legs better'. If I were you I would take Boris walkies down Battersea way; that'll give the brute something to think about.

Last edited by Jean Claude; 12/12/13 02:35 AM. Reason: speling
kalee21 #2196417 12/12/13 05:02 AM
K
kalee21 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hello everyone,
I must say that this evening we had a dry night!
During the evening I played him 16/17C organ music at modest dynamic levels (no sustain used, just occasional sostenuto), he sat on his sofa, crossed his paws and did not mind that at all.
Boris does not tinkle on the piano ever. He seemed to respond to "oh dear, what a dirty boy", his tail went down and he was unhappy for a minute.
He was then petted and returned to his normal jolly disposition. I think he will get over this, i do not think he will become a Piddle Poodle.

Last edited by kalee21; 12/12/13 05:36 AM.

kalee21 #2196491 12/12/13 11:03 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...Contrary to popular belief, dogs do not have human feelings of jealousy or revenge..."

Well, it is true that cats are more vengeful--- as such--- when displeased. But I do not see how any of us is in a position to know what a dog thinks. I know that they do think, and feel. Anyone who has seen an expression of embarrassment on a dog's face--- which is hilarious, I say with mixed feelings--- could not doubt it. They dream, they anticipate, they clearly express feelings of joy, depression, fear, boredom, contentment, recognition, love, suspicion, and yes, jealousy. And even when neutered, they retain recognizably masculine or feminine characters. I don't know that I would say that they are human feelings, but they are certainly like enough to be clearly similar... though they still retain their mysteries.

"...Could be something as simple as a urinary tract infection. Get him checked out..."

This is sensible, and could hurt nothing but the purse. But I think the OP already knows what the problem is, and already knows that the solution is to address the animal's emotional life so as to assure him of his place in the new order. For the meantime, guarding the legs and lyre--- maybe with a plastic wrap--- overnight could not really hurt anything. I think the crisis will pass of its own. In fact, I predict that soon, the dog will come to see the new piano as an object of guardianship, as good dogs do.

Clef

Hamburg-D #2196536 12/12/13 12:33 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by noambenhamou

Hahaha. How do you know this? Are you a dog?

I don't want to start an argument and I do respect your opinion and understand that many believe as you do, but coming from a dog owner, let us have our bliss in our ignorance and don't say such things smile. Hahaha. Capish?

I am a dog owner too. Believe what you want regarding canine behavior. I worked at a rescue devoted to Dobermans for years and trained dogs professionally. I hope the OP solves the problem. I simply wanted to emphasize rule out physial problems before assuming complicated behavior issues.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

kalee21 #2196954 12/13/13 10:13 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Could it be that the new sound is discomforting him? The Steingraebers that I played were much louder than other grands of that size.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
kalee21 #2197234 12/13/13 08:32 PM
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Yes. They do tend to have thinner piercing trebles. Your dog might find that unnerving.

As Beecham said when a horse defecated on stage during a grand opera; "not good manners but gad, what a critic"!

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

kalee21 #2197520 12/14/13 01:28 PM
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
Beecham was know to scare the crap out of musicians-why would it be any different for a horse!

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Ed McMorrow, RPT #2197818 12/15/13 03:19 AM
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Beecham was know to scare the crap out of musicians-why would it be any different for a horse!

There were still people who knew him and worked for him when I was a young professional musician. They never said a word against him.

Tommy was a genial man who hand picked his principal players who in turn hand picked their sections. He would cajole rather than bully the best out of his personal musicians. He could make some cutting remarks that were so side splittingly funny that nobody could hold a grudge. He was know for looking after older musicians who were no longer on top of their game. He never had women in his orchestra, nobody ever did in his day but his reasoning was that if they were pretty, it would disturb his musicians. If they were ugly, it would disturb him. You could say things like that as little as 50 years ago.

I walk past his house every time I go to Abbey Road. He lived opposite AlmaTadema's house.

On the other hand, there were, indeed, conductors who had childish tempers. The unions were strong in those days so they had to turn their tantrums inward, one even stomped on his own wristwatch. If they ever tried to insult a musician, the rehearsal was stopped and the union was called in. Some of those stories never happened. There are some conductors think they can get away with it today but with so many player-governed orchestras they are fools.

On the third hand, some of Tommys' legendary witticisms were apocryphal. One music critic confessed years later to making some of them up himself.... That's easy to say after the fact.
We'll never know...,

Amanda Reckonwith
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

kalee21 #2197832 12/15/13 04:59 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

Well I just hope that the remark about the lady cellist is authentic Beecham.

Jean Claude #2197834 12/15/13 05:16 AM
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Jean Claude

Well I just hope that the remark about the lady cellist is authentic Beecham.

That level of humour would have been way beneath a man of his acuity but it does sound like the sort of thing a music critics' mentality might come up with. Some of them are failed food critics.

Amanda Reckonwith

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Introductions to the great composers
by Animisha - 01/19/21 02:43 AM
NAMM 2021 Keyboards & Digital Pianos
by Osho - 01/18/21 08:57 PM
Advice on Grey Market Yamahas - Melbourne, Vic
by Tim_Au - 01/18/21 08:08 PM
Faulty Anytime in Kawai GE-30 AT
by Lempriere - 01/18/21 07:39 PM
Can I sell Garritan CFX?
by Tigris90 - 01/18/21 07:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,373
Posts3,048,785
Members100,115
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission