2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
U
OP Offline
U
[NOTE: We have read the Intro to Buying DP and the DP under $1000 Forum, amongst others.]

-7 year old boy
-Playing for 8 months
-Uses an upright at lessons 1x/week
-Been using a plastic 64-key Casio LK100 at home to practice

I understand the general progression of the Casio CDP120/Yamaha P35 vs the Casio PX150/Yamaha P105.

So my question is as far as value and decent keyboards, where do some previous used models fit in between these? Would you sandwich these used products (given cost value) between the two, or in some other sequence (given OUR circumstance)?

CDP120/P35 (CDP $350)
**P85 ($350 used)
**PX130 ($350-$400 used)
**PX 400 ($250 used… have to travel)
** Kurz SP 88 ($450 new, $400 used)
**Korg SP 170S ($400—used or new?)
PX150/P105

(Couple others that I presume are much too old to consider—
Kurz RG100SE $300,
Yam DGX 505 $350
P80 $350 & $375)

1) Given that the older models are cared for, would the CDP be better than those older but higher grade models?

2) For a 7 year old, for 2 years (besides the finish on the keys) is the feel really that different for player growth between the CDP and PX150 to spend a very difficult $150 more?

3) Is the CDP truly weighted or semi-weighted? I'm getting conflicting info.

(I LOVE the keys on the 150 as a change up to add a little something to the bottom end products. But My inclination is the CDP just for buyers remorse and youth changes sake.)

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by UpStream
For a 7 year old, for 2 years (besides the finish on the keys) is the feel really that different for player growth between the CDP and PX150 to spend a very difficult $150 more?

If it's a very difficult $150, then no. People have learned on far worse! If the price difference is a real concern, I would look for the cheapest, functioning weighted 88 you can find.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Of the CDP120 and PX150 go for the PX150. Yes the $150 is worth it.

U
OP Offline
U
Thanks guys. Posts from two respected users I've ready many posts from in this pre-Christmas quest. This already tells me that, much like other "close" areas, there is no *clear* right answer.

I was just jumping on to clarify...

THE GOAL: Purchase a weighted, 88-key digital for an intermediate step and reward. (Original goal was a $200 used board on Craigslist. Got that wake-up call!) Don’t intend to be overzealous… we know there is still a lot of time to grow and possibilities of this fading away.

THE PURPOSE: Last 2-3 years, main concern is adding some weight/feel for the daily playing/strengthening over those 2-3 years. (We’d probably keep it alongside the acoustic when the time came)

WHAT WE ARE NOT WORRIED ABOUT (and please correct me if I'm wrong!):
• Polyphony (I don’t think polyphony really makes a difference at this stage… in 2 years maybe the 64 minimum… yay/nay? Same for pedals, recording, etc.)
• Speakers
• Perfect piano “sound”
• The little comparisons

We aren’t expecting a prodigy, just a good appreciation for music (and he LOVES it!)

Interesting question. I am not expert on most of those, but as far I read and see, I would put it like this (worst to best):

Casio PX-400 ($250 used… have to travel)
Yamaha P-85 ($350 used)
Yamaha P-95
Casio CDP120 ($400)
Yamaha P-35 ($500)
Korg SP-170S ($400—used or new?)
Casio PX-130 ($350-$400 used)
Yamaha P-105
Casio PX-150

About Kurz SP88 I really don't know anything so I better don't mention it. But the rest, I think that is the way I place them, from what I know.

I think the best old model DP is the Casio PX-130. That is why is not that cheap, even though there is a new model. If you really want go cheap, any of those is enough I think for a 7 year old. All P models of yamaha didn't change much in key feel.

Casio CDP120 have real weighted keys.

I do think jump from CDP120 to PX-150 worth it on the long run, because key feel is quite better. For the cheapest price, Casios PX-130 and PX-150 wins.

Depends on how much time you plan having that digital piano. If is not for much time, Casio CDP120 is just fine. Is is for a lot of years, I think going the extra mile with PX-150 would be the best. She will thank you later.

Or buy CDP120 now and later sell it to buy a better one when you think she is getting very good at the piano, and maybe you have more money save. In this case buying the CDP120 used might be good idea.

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

My project: Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$

Owner of Kawai ES100
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Daniel Richter
Interesting question. I am not expert on most of those, but as far I read and see, I would put it like this (worst to best):

Casio PX-400 ($250 used… have to travel)
Yamaha P-85 ($350 used)
Yamaha P-95
Casio CDP120 ($400)
Yamaha P-35 ($500)
Korg SP-170S ($400—used or new?)
Casio PX-130 ($350-$400 used)
Yamaha P-105
Casio PX-150

I think the best old model DP is the Casio PX-130

Again showing how subjective this is... I would put the PX-130 at about the bottom of the list.

I haven't played the PX-400, but it should be similar to the other ZPI models of that era, and I am among those who think those were the best models Casio made up until the x50 series. So that might be the sleeper of the bunch. If not that, I'd go with whichever of those Yamahas he can find at his price. (But anything there will serve the purpose.)

U
OP Offline
U
So I decided on the CDP-120 just for peace of mind... then 3 (not 1, not 2, but 3!) sudden opportunities presented themselves!

Two eBay dealers (high marks) had returned PX-150s! One for $420 (customer return), the other $440 (open box/displays).

I asked a bunch of questions to including warranty info. The $420 wasn't too helpful; the $440 dealer (Pro Audio Star-- who ALSO gives a phone number to call-- RARE on eBay!) replied, then 20-min after their reply, said "It looks like we are out of open box items... but we'll send you a brand new one to honor the price until the end of the auction."

WOW! On eBay of all places! Price INCLUDES tax *and* shipping. So it's not just a $60 savings, I had to remember most other places it would be $30-$35 tax... so that's $90!!!

{{{{{{This Auction is still open, I think until January 6 2014, so if you find this, DO IT! Pro Audio Star is the dealer. You can't find coupons or discounts for this ANYWHERE at this stage.}}}}

U
OP Offline
U
Ah, yes,
THEN... MIRACLE #2! (Our budget really was $250, and we gave in to $350 with reality.)

I called a few local stores just to see if they'd sell their floor models or if they had any returns in store since I'd last been around (I've been at this for a month!)

The girl at Guitar Center here said, "Is that what you're really set on?" Told her to give me some alternatives... then she said, "Well, I have a PX-150 in Atlanta that we can get for you. $300 plus tax and shipping." !!!! (What's wrong with it?!)

She sent me the link online (terrible one-picture shot), she called the Atlanta store, talked with them....

And I decided... Hmmm... used... for a 7-year old.... appearance? It's under warranty.... Ah, and for $45 I can make it a solid 2-year warranty...

I decided to quit screwing around (I've been at this for a month!-- for the low end!)

So for $387, we are receiving a fully functional but mildly scuffed (no damage) Privia PX-150, shipped from store-to-store, includes taxes, shipping, and a 2-year warranty!

Used and a 2-year warranty, or new and a 1-year warranty? I'm a practical person....

Thanks a bunch, and I just hope this thread helps somebody else!!!

A practically new Casio PX-150 for $387? Wow. Great deal.

Enjoy. I mean, enjoy watching your son (or daughter) enjoying the digital piano.

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

My project: Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$

Owner of Kawai ES100

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission