2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
Originally Posted by casinitaly
easily 80%.

It stinks.

Ugh. That does stink.

More evidence that you are a ridiculously nice person. smile

Ridiculously compliant..:( but we have a nice building and everyone pretty much gets along. I don't want to be the one known as the big pain. It should be temporary. The young woman downstairs says she needs to study a lot for univeristy. This is her last year. I pray she doesn't decide to do a Masters!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S

Ridiculously compliant ... frown

That's not how one takes a compliment, Cheryl wink.

For the record, folks: she *is* a ridiculously nice person. But then, I guess everyone who's been hanging around the ABF for more than two weeks probably already knows that. I'm just making extra sure wink.

My two cents on the topic at hand: I've never had a negative reaction from anyone who knows that I play the piano. I'm not married or in a relationship, and I have no children, so 'balance' in that sense is not an issue for me. But thanks, SwissMS, for confirming that you are a very dedicated practicer, indeed ... makes me feel that there's hope for me, yet wink.

Even if someone (hypothetical future spouse and/or children excluded) did react negatively, why should that be any of my concern? I'm with those who say "I don't give a sh*t."

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Non musicians = other animal species....... grin grin grin grin some other planet.....

Cheers
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 12/08/13 06:24 AM.

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Saranoya

Ridiculously compliant ... frown

That's not how one takes a compliment, Cheryl wink.

For the record, folks: she *is* a ridiculously nice person. But then, I guess everyone who's been hanging around the ABF for more than two weeks probably already knows that. I'm just making extra sure wink.

You're quite right - that's no way deal with a compliment. Where are my manners?

Thank you ATallGuy, and Saranoya.

I try. I don't always succeed - but I work at it.
Just like learning the piano ...I'm a work in progress smile

[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
One of the reasons we decided to sell our condo and move to a house was to not have neighbors below. It was a two way street though--they bothered us as much or more than we bothered them.

And I think it is pretty clear that cas is a nice person!

Learner
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
The strange thing about piano playing is, when someone sees it in the home, the first thing they say is (do/did) you play professionally?
They don't say that if they see a set of golf clubs, or a woodsmith table saw, in the garage...are you a cabinet maker? Somehow when they see a piano usually a grand, it must be serious(a pro)..not just for pure pleasure..

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bob Newbie
The strange thing about piano playing is, when someone sees it in the home, the first thing they say is (do/did) you play professionally?
They don't say that if they see a set of golf clubs, or a woodsmith table saw, in the garage...are you a cabinet maker? Somehow when they see a piano usually a grand, it must be serious(a pro)..not just for pure pleasure..

Not me... the general reaction I get to Mabel is, "when are you taking that thing to the dump?!?" smile

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You're quite right - that's no way deal with a compliment. Where are my manners?

Indeed. I take back all that nice stuff I said. smile

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin

And I think it is pretty clear that cas is a nice person!

That's just a viral rumor started by cas... laugh

But, I don't care what everyone says about her - she's alright in my book... thumb

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Bob Newbie

I always take that as a compliment to my piano. At least it looks impressive. Plus it takes up so much space, people can see that it's given some priority.

1989 Baldwin R

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Well, blush,....thank you very much....malkin and TJ.

Really blush -- gee, I wonder how non musicians see me? smile

I'm really very touched by the very kind comments.

I like the stories that are cropping up --- if you have a grand you "must" play professionally, but no one asks that if you have golf clubs. I don't have golf clubs. What about fancy kitchen gadgets? Must you be a professional chef to have them?
Good thing I dont' have a grand, think of the disillusionment of guests --(oh, and just imagine the neighbours' reaction!)

[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm pretty sure most people think I'm pretty kookie anyway. Playing piano is not even remotely the kookiest thing.

Learner
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Yeah that comment about the grand piano leading people to assume professional pianist is interesting, having never owned a grand, I haven't heard it myself. And when I had my upright, I don't think I had occasion to have visitors who didn't already know I was a hobby-pianist.

I guess maybe seeing a grand in someone's home is just rare enough for folks to make that kind of assumption? I'd be happy to conduct a scientific experiment to find out, you think I can get a research gran to cover the expense of the grand? laugh

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Shiro... good one re: the research grant. Given the amount of inane research out there, you just might have a shot at it. smile

My assumption when seeing a decent grand is that either:

a) the person is quite skilled

Or:

b) they have a whole lot of money and it never gets touched at all (Exhibit A: what's-his-name who just bought Steinway)

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Yeah that comment about the grand piano leading people to assume professional pianist is interesting...

Yeah, that made me think of one my other hobbies which is photography. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked whether I'm a professional (I'm not - not by a long shot) just because I have a nice camera.

I also feel that non-photographers don't understand photographers, the same way non-musicians don't "get" musicians. I'm sure that it's the same way for any worthwhile endeavor that requires a substantial commitment of time and effort.

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
R
R
My answer to the original question:

"With great envy"!

Russ
Yamaha CP5
Casio PX130
Yamaha AP Upright
W
W
Hi,

when I tell people I'm learning music and more particular the piano I get quite different reactions:

Disbelief: You play the piano??? Really?? Oh my, may god have mercy on us.. LOL

Envy/admiration: I could never do that! my response: That's what I said to myself for so many years too. Until a few months ago.
Envy: Where do you find the time?? my response: Turn off the ***** TV it doesn't take tthat much anyway. 30m to 1hr is fine to start.

Never had a really negative reaction though. never someone told me it's a waste of time. Why couild it ever be that. Learning a new skill and learning new horizons of musical ladscape is always enriching.

But in the end. it doesn't really matter what people think. Just enjoy yourself, and share you love for music with likeminded people.

Wouter.

R
R
My granddaughter of 16 years of age came over for a holiday visit. She lives far and we had not seen each other for quite some time.

Knowing what young people listen to: I went over to my piano and started playing the beginning to "My Immortal" by Evanescence. Very simple song to play and I play by ear.

Her eyes lit up and she came over to me and just watched in aw! and said, "that's so great Granddad. I wish I could play like that. How do you know where to put your fingers? I sat her down and show her how to do some basic things. She stat at my CP5 the entire night.

I sent her home, giving her another 88 key Casio DP I had purchased before getting my CP5. I didn't need it so I just gave it to her because she showed an interest to learn. Two weeks later I get a thank-you card in the mail, telling me how great I played and she wants to someday play as good as me.

All I played was a simple beginning to a simple song and she thought I was a music God all because of one song she could relate to emotionally.

Her opinion of me was about 1000 times greater than I have for myself in regard to playing the piano.

After my Granddaughter's, I don't need an opinion from anyone else.

Russ
Yamaha CP5
Casio PX130
Yamaha AP Upright
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Great story, Russ. My nieces sometimes do things like that for me smile Magic, I say.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Russ, that's a wonderful story!! Thank you for sharing it with us. And your granddaughter is very lucky to have such an awesome grandpa!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission