Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
129 registered members (AnthonyPaulO, APassionatePianist, akin, atcsam, anotherscott, Alex Hutor, agraffe, AZNpiano, 36251, 31 invisible), 1,667 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Keyboard without speakers #2193605
12/06/13 06:39 PM
12/06/13 06:39 PM
St Croix, USVI
D
don1949 Offline OP
don1949  Offline OP
D

St Croix, USVI
I'm thinking of getting one of Roland's keyboard speakers. Last time I checked $500-600. I'd like to get a keyboard without speakers where I don't hear a clunk of the keys when I'm playing, and with decent, not perfect, action and a concert grand sound without connecting to my computer. I'd like to spend $700-800 because I will have to pay shipping also to the Caribbean. I'm a senior on social and limited finances. Is this at all in the realm of possibility? If not, what would you suggest?

I want a good keyboard speaker because expression is important to me, and fidelity is a big problem for me on the digitals I've played. I've never played the high end digitals, and it doesn't matter because I can't afford them. I could get another $500 Casio and save for some time if I have to, but I want to investigate the above idea first. I could buy a keyboard, use ear buds, and save for the speaker.

Thanks,

Don

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Keyboard without speakers [Re: don1949] #2193614
12/06/13 07:03 PM
12/06/13 07:03 PM
Venezuela
Daniel Richter Offline
Daniel Richter  Offline

Venezuela
I may sound repetitive, but Kawai ES100 might be your best option. Have a good key action and maybe the more silent one compare to all models at this price range. Piano sound is quite decent, considering is currently 800 US$. If piano is all you care, ES100 is what I always recommend, at the present moment. Have speakers, though you can easily disable them. Most DPs have speakers anyway.

If music is just for you, a good headphones is the cheapest and good quality option. For around 100 US$ (and even less) you can get quite good headphones, that if you want to replicate with speakers/monitors you would spend a lot more. But that part is up to you. In ideal world, having both options on the same digital piano is the best.

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

My project: Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$

Owner of Kawai ES100
Re: Keyboard without speakers [Re: don1949] #2193738
12/07/13 01:33 AM
12/07/13 01:33 AM
St Croix, USVI
D
don1949 Offline OP
don1949  Offline OP
D

St Croix, USVI
Thanks Daniel. I was hoping there might exist a keyboard without built in speakers where the money would be all in the keyboard. I've not enjoyed the speakers on the casio privia and the yamaha i've played. I don't have much experience on digital pianos but i do have a very demanding ear. This is just for me, and i'm doing everything i can to treat me well.

Re: Keyboard without speakers [Re: don1949] #2193759
12/07/13 03:05 AM
12/07/13 03:05 AM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Online content
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
. . . I'd like to get a keyboard without speakers where I don't hear a clunk of the keys when I'm playing, and with decent, not perfect, action and a concert grand sound without connecting to my computer. I'd like to spend $700-800 because I will have to pay shipping also to the Caribbean. I'm a senior on social and limited finances. Is this at all in the realm of possibility? If not, what would you suggest? . . .

The question is all knotted up . . .

1. _Any_ keyboard will be audible if the volume is turned down. You'll never notice key noise on an acoustic, because you _can't_ turn the volume down.

With my PX-350, when the volume is turned up to "live piano" levels (either with loudspeaker or headphones), I can't hear the keys.

2. "Concert grand sound" means different things to different people. I don't claim "golden ears". My Casio PX-350 has a decent "grand piano" tone (several of them, in fact). But biased as I am, I will tell you it _doesn't_ sound like an acoustic grand piano. It is quite playable, in spite of that.

3. If you want to closely approach "acoustic grand piano" playability and tone, your budget is unrealistically low. Some would argue that _no_ budget is adequate.

4. For a given level of fidelity, headphones are much cheaper than loudspeakers. And at low price points, digi-pianos have small and under-powered loudspeakers. So if _sound_ matters to you, budget something over $100 for headphones, and spend the rest on the digipiano. [There are numerous threads here on headphone choice; my $100 number works for _me_, because it bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-280 headphones that I like.]

If you want to entertain other people, you'll need a real loudspeaker (either a "keyboard amp" or a PA system), and your total budget is unrealistic.

I'm using a $500 powered PA system (one cabinet, 8" woofer, horn-loaded tweeter). My _guess_ is that it plays as loud as an acoustic piano (and it's dead clean). Unfortunately, when building loudspeakers, it's hard to do things well, and cheap.

If you read through the threads here, the Yamaha P105 and Casio PX-150 recur as good "inexpensive" digipiano choices. They both have compromised (but usable) keyboard mechanisms. and reasonable electronics. Neither one has the sustain length, or the sympathetic resonances, that you'd get on an acoustic grand piano. Neither one (IMHO) has adequate loudspeakers or amps, but they're OK with headphones.

Daniel's suggestion of a Kawai ES100 might be worth trying, if you can swing the cost. [It's a new model; unlikely to be on the "used" market.]

You don't say anything about your own playing level, or what you want to do with the instrument. And that matters _a lot_ in giving advice.

You don't say whether you have any local music stores where you can try any of these units out. Buying "blind", on the basis of other peoples' advice, isn't the best thing to do.

. Charles

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 12/07/13 03:11 AM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Keyboard without speakers [Re: Charles Cohen] #2193803
12/07/13 05:32 AM
12/07/13 05:32 AM
St Croix, USVI
D
don1949 Offline OP
don1949  Offline OP
D

St Croix, USVI
Hi Charles,

Thanks for all your comments. This is what I need to help me figure out what to do. I am an intermediate player that has had a lifetime of problems associated with early abuse issues. So, my aptitude and my playing abilities have been far apart, as any personal passionate expression has been difficult.

However, I have been consistently doing my personal work, and now, at 64, see the light at the end of the tunnel and am feeling much more able to pursue my musical loves--playing the piano and singing.

I had a low end Casio Privia but didn't think to have it on a surge protector and it got fried. To clarify a few things:

I can spend 800-900 just on the keyboard. Maybe 1000, but that is pushing it to make a purchase within the next month or so. I'm happy to use ear phones. My $20 SkullCandy ear buds are totally satisfactory for the short run. Purchasing the Roland Keyboard speaker is separate and I will save up for it and for some other accessories if I want them.

I live on an island in the U.S. Virgin Islands. There is one music store on the island with limited choices. In addition, the man who runs the store has never heard of customer service and is generally hostile to the idea of anyone actually playing any of the keyboards. The only time he is interested in anyone playing a keyboard is if you are ready to purchase.

I feel sure the music store owner will be happy to order something for me. I have actually been reading a lot of reviews, and I find the Casio PX-350 and the Kawai ES-100 interesting. I enjoyed the low end Casio I had, but the action felt a little non-responsive. I was using a probably 5 year old Privia with a broken E flat right below middle C for awhile, but had to return it.

So, I really do not like being without a keyboard, and do not have enough personal experience with electronic keyboards nor access to play any, so will have to rely on suggestions from others and intuition. I am intuitively leaning toward a Casio from reading Casio's determination to achieve some dominance in the reputable keyboard market.

I value whatever advice you can give me, and thank you for taking the time to help tease out my thought processes.

Don

Re: Keyboard without speakers [Re: don1949] #2193916
12/07/13 12:30 PM
12/07/13 12:30 PM
Canada Alberta
M
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member
Michael_99  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Canada Alberta
don1949, I have read your post, here:

subject: Keyboard without speakers

I'm thinking of getting one of Roland's keyboard speakers. Last time I checked $500-600. I'd like to get a keyboard without speakers where I don't hear a clunk of the keys when I'm playing, and with decent, not perfect, action and a concert grand sound without connecting to my computer. I'd like to spend $700-800 because I will have to pay shipping also to the Caribbean. I'm a senior on social and limited finances. Is this at all in the realm of possibility? If not, what would you suggest?

I want a good keyboard speaker because expression is important to me, and fidelity is a big problem for me on the digitals I've played. I've never played the high end digitals, and it doesn't matter because I can't afford them. I could get another $500 Casio and save for some time if I have to, but I want to investigate the above idea first. I could buy a keyboard, use ear buds, and save for the speaker.

_____

I don't understand your post because I am a beginner piano player of 2 years and am 64 years old on a disability pension.

I began learning to play the piano and after 6 months I learned a few things:

that playing the piano is all about listening to yourself play because when you can do that you can hear all your imperfections.

that be it a digital piano or an acoustic piano, it is in the playing and the listening.

That I am very,very humbly grateful to be able to play any piano because I have had a stroke and didn't get damaged enough that I couldn't play the piano so that is good.

That I looked for a used acoustic piano and was very, very, lucky to find one I could afford, but if I couldn't find one or ever afford a good piano that would be okay because it is the journey of learning to play the piano of any type that is important.

there are pianos sitting silent everyday on the planet and with patience, you could find one you could play once a week, once a month, etc. and until then you could practice whatever bad piano you had to perfect your piano so that when you do find a grand piano of whatever quality you want, you can play your pieces well and with awesome expression for that glorious moment of play.

And I don't ever think that any digital piano I ever played - and I played that Advantguard whatever it is called and costing 10 or 12,000 dollars and to me they are all same so very closely similar in sound and key acton that almost any digital will do like a clavinova or P95 with 88 weighted keys. I have both and again that it is the playing that makes the difference and not the bad beast of a piano that is important.

cheers,

3D7GM

Last edited by Michael_99; 12/07/13 12:41 PM.
Re: Keyboard without speakers [Re: don1949] #2193928
12/07/13 12:59 PM
12/07/13 12:59 PM
A
anotherscott Online content
4000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
A

Originally Posted by don1949
I was hoping there might exist a keyboard without built in speakers where the money would be all in the keyboard.

I wouldn't worry about that. I doubt any speakers in a low cost piano account for all that much of the price of the piano to begin with. And there are so many differences in sound and feel among pianos, I wouldn't make the presence of speakers you don't need a factor. That is, if brand A and brand B both have $x00 pianos, one with speakers and one without, I would in no way assume that the one without speakers must be better simply by virtue of the fact that they didn't have to allocate cost to the speakers.

Re: Keyboard without speakers [Re: anotherscott] #2194005
12/07/13 03:24 PM
12/07/13 03:24 PM
St Croix, USVI
D
don1949 Offline OP
don1949  Offline OP
D

St Croix, USVI
Thanks Michael and Scott,

This is all helping me to clarify my thoughts. This is a process for me, and I know from experience that at some point I will know what to do. I know from experience that impulse decisions do not generally work out well for me. I could race out right now and buy something, but that doesn't feel right.

There is information I need, I don't know what it is, and I'll keep searching until it feels right. Scott, thank you for your feelings about the speakers. I feel ok now with not concerning myself with whether or not it has speakers.

Don

Re: Keyboard without speakers [Re: don1949] #2194165
12/07/13 08:40 PM
12/07/13 08:40 PM
Northern NJ
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dewster  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Northern NJ
Get some good (open, comfort first, fidelity a close second, don't buy Bose) headphones, and if the sound is still not good enough then plug your keys into a PC sampler.

Re: Keyboard without speakers [Re: dewster] #2194216
12/07/13 10:18 PM
12/07/13 10:18 PM
St Croix, USVI
D
don1949 Offline OP
don1949  Offline OP
D

St Croix, USVI
Thanks Dewster for leading me to educate myself about headphones. I am not at all tech savvy, am afraid I will get a headache, but am going to ask the question anyway. Why would I get a pc sampler. I looked up samplers in Wikkipedia, read the entries, and am still not connecting with what a sampler would have to do with me playing and enjoying a piano I choose. I clearly don't understand what a sampler does. I am just looking for good action, low key noise, and great sound.

I don't know what samplers cost, but I am beginning to suspect I may not be able to get what I am looking for in a under $1000 keyboard.

Thanks for any input.

Don

p.s. I've listened to some videos of the Kawaii ES-100 and liked what I heard very much.

Re: Keyboard without speakers [Re: don1949] #2194247
12/07/13 11:15 PM
12/07/13 11:15 PM
Venezuela
Daniel Richter Offline
Daniel Richter  Offline

Venezuela
I think dewster means with "pc sampler" that plug the digital piano to a computer and buy a good software to make the piano sound. That actual piano sound would be made by the computer. There are many softwares that make piano sound. My favorite is Pianoteq, but there are many others that are very good too. Most use samples of real pianos. In contrast to digital piano build-in piano sound that use loops, using software you have full sample. Also have better harmonics and realistic effects, that digital pianos on low budged don't have, or are inferior.

But keep in mind that can be a little complicated for people that don't know much about computers. You have to deal with drivers, settings, computer "power" requirements, etc. Not sure if is your thing. But I don't have any doubt the cheapest way to get a excellent piano experience on lowest budged is: digital piano + computer + piano-sound-software.

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

Owner of Kawai ES100
Re: Keyboard without speakers [Re: don1949] #2194341
12/08/13 02:29 AM
12/08/13 02:29 AM
St Croix, USVI
D
don1949 Offline OP
don1949  Offline OP
D

St Croix, USVI
I am willing to consider approaching this. I have been a hermit for many years and have not used computers in a very long time. I quit using computers when Windows was in its infancy, but at that time I was very familiar with computers, drivers, etc. So the language is not unfamiliar to me, just modern language in windows and a proficiency with windows.

So, if I were to consider the software approach, would my approach still be:

1. identify a keyboard--would I still be using the same focus of good action, low key noise and lose the need for great sound? Would I look for less expensive keyboards, different keyboards, etc.

2. I am very interested in expression. I read somewhere about I think 10 gradations of sensitivity instead of 2-3. It sure would be nice to play pianissimo and louder istead of mf and louder. If I am going to have great sound why am I not going to be able to play Claire de Lune with proper dynamics?

3. I can understand how the software can give me great sound, but why can't I get great sound with a good keyboard hooked up to a $500 Roland keyboard speaker and not deal with all the complexity of software? I have very simple needs. This is for me at home for my own personal enjoyment. I may or may not play some for a church and may or may not do some coaching with a choir. I will definitely be singing with a choir somewhere. I will not ever be doing complex anything on the keyboard and will never travel with my keyboard. If I ever was serious about doing any composition I would be much more interested in the software approach, but I would prefer to grow into it instead of really needing it at this time.

4. The $545. low end Casio Privia satisfied my basic needs for the 1 1/2 years I owned it, but I always longed for better action, less key noise, and dramatically better sound. I only recently discovered the dramatic difference using my $20 SkullCandy earbuds made in my playing experience. So I do feel much more flexible at this time. I could buy an inexpensive Casio and play with ear buds and find a good quality open headphone to satisfy me until I grow into something else, if this whole process makes sense to me. It is also possible that the low end Casio might satisfy my needs for a long while with the sound issue satisfied. The local store sells casio but a very limited selection. I think they have only have the entry level privia and they began carrying the 700 series about 1 1/2 years ago. I haven't really seen anything else that seemed workable except an occasional Roland, but rarely an 88 key Roland. I would prefer to buy something I don't have to figure out how to get shipped on island, however, I believe I can get the local store to order what I want. So, there it is. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Don

Re: Keyboard without speakers [Re: don1949] #2194359
12/08/13 03:33 AM
12/08/13 03:33 AM
Venezuela
Daniel Richter Offline
Daniel Richter  Offline

Venezuela
If you really want to use software, of course there is no need for great piano sound on the DP. But you can't go for too cheap digital piano because you also pay for keybed. Cheapest good key action is Casio PX-150. A more silent key action is Kawai ES100, but not sure could justify the 300 US$ difference.

The expression thing can be control by the software, depending on what software you have. Most softwares give a lot of options.

You could get a great digital piano too and rely on great speakers, but with that price, don't expect miracles. Is very subjective. Is good enough for some; for others is too lame, bored by the loops. Meaning: only excellent digital pianos that can compete with great softwares are in a lot higher price than 1000 US$.

I would suggest stick on your plan, and consider the software idea later.

You have to choice: Casio PX-150 or Kawai ES100. I think the casio should be enough for you. Kawai, maybe is too expensive for your needs, although for sure have more silent key action. More silent keys really worth 300 US$ for you? I say that because I think the rest on both DPs are similar. Sound of both is good, both key action feel quite good for the price. One may be a little better on one thing, but worst on other thing. But overall both are good.

If you was satisfy with old privia, then you should be happy enough with Casio PX-150. And you will have more money to spend on your roland speakers you want.

Owner of Kawai ES100
Re: Keyboard without speakers [Re: Daniel Richter] #2194368
12/08/13 04:15 AM
12/08/13 04:15 AM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
A short lesson which may clarify things:

There are three pieces in the "sound chain", from your fingers to your ears:

1. The physical keyboard and its electronics. You press a key, and a MIDI messages comes out:

. . . C#4, velocity 100.

The "resolution" of the velocity messages is (for most keyboards) 7 bits -- 127 values. Most people feel that that's enough to handle ppp to FFF.]

For almost any decent keyboard, that stream of MIDI messages can be fed to other devices. But for a normal digital piano, it is (by default) fed to:

2. The "sound generator", which takes the MIDI messages from the keyboard and generates audio signals. So a MIDI message:

. . . C#4, velocity 100

gets turned into the "sound" (that is, an AC voltage) of the C#4 "string" being struck mezzo-forte by a "hammer".

And that gets passed to:

3. The audio amp and loudspeaker (or headphones).

_Each of those 3 things is independent_. The manufacturer packages them in a single box, but that's for reasons of marketing, cost, and convenience.

You can take a computer and program it to be the "sound generator" in this arrangement, instead of using the sound generator built into the digi-piano.

There are numerous "sample libraries" -- recordings of _real_ pianos at different volume levels -- that you can buy for PC's (and Mac's). They're all driven by MIDI messages, from whatever keyboard you plug into the PC's MIDI port (or USB port). The packages are in the $100 - $200 range, I think. Check "Vintage D" for one example.

There is also "Pianoteq", which is a purely-algorithmic (no samples) sound generator, PC-based. It tries to simulate the physics of a real piano, and does a decent job (IMHO).

A PX-350 (for example), with a MIDI connection to a PC running Pianoteq doesn't sound like a PX-350. The sound is produced by Pianoteq, and it's a heck of a lot more "lifelike" (closer to an acoustic piano, IMHO) than the built-in sounds of the PX-350.

In that particular case, you can disable the PX-350 sound generator, and run the Pianoteq output into the PX-350 "Line Input", and play it through the PX-350 loudspeaker. Or you can just plug headphones into the PC.

I hope this helps your thinking. I have been called to bed . . .

. Charles

. Charles
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Keyboard without speakers [Re: Charles Cohen] #2194371
12/08/13 05:12 AM
12/08/13 05:12 AM
St Croix, USVI
D
don1949 Offline OP
don1949  Offline OP
D

St Croix, USVI
Thank you Charles. This really helps me to understand. A few of my grey cells are attempting to align. Progress. Don

Re: Keyboard without speakers [Re: don1949] #2194409
12/08/13 09:31 AM
12/08/13 09:31 AM
A
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
A

I can understand how the software can give me great sound, but why can't I get great sound with a good keyboard hooked up to a $500 Roland keyboard speaker and not deal with all the complexity of software?

This is a vast oversimplification, but just to illustrate the concept, essentially, the reason you can't get, say, a $500 keyboard with a piano sound that is as good as a piano sound you can load into and play through your computer is that the great piano sound in the computer requires the capabilities of a $1000 computer, and that $1000 of computer electronics can't be built into a $500 keyboard.

I'll throw one more wrinkle into your plan: Most people would say that Roland keyboard amps aren't the best choices for reproducing piano sound.

Picking up from what Charles said, there are three parts to what you want. Ideally:

... choose a keyboard that has the feel you want

... choose a piano sound you like (and only if you're lucky will you find this built into the same device that has the keyboard you like, especially in a budget piece, so this is what has led people to suggest you might look at software to open up more/better choices for you here)

... choose an amplification+speaker system you like (where Roland is not generally considered an ideal choice for piano... and nothing low cost is going to sound as good as decent headphones) - and you're right that built in speakers are not the best, though some are better than others

That said, using the computer for piano is not necessarily simple. You haven't mentioned what kind of computer you have, but depending on the software you choose, sometimes you need a pretty high powered computer for it to work well, and sometimes it takes some time and experimentation to get everything working optimally. A big issue for a lot of people is latency, which means small but sometimes perceptible delays between when you press a key and when you hear the note. You'll probably also need an interface to make it work well (unless maybe you have a Mac), and many piano programs require an iLok device for copy protection, so you need to budget a bit for these add-ons as well.

I should also mention, in case you have an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch, that there are some piano sounds you can trigger from that as well. They are not in the same league as what you can get from a computer, but a number of people find them usable and still better than the sounds built into some keyboards. The app "CMP Grand Piano" is probably the most well regarded of them.

In a nutshell. a $700 keyboard is always going to have significant compromises. If it didn't, there wouldn't be $1700 and $2700 models! And even high end models have compromises. So you have to strategize in terms of what compromises you can live with, and which ones you may be able to get around some other way (i.e. maybe taking advantage of your computer). If you can deal with the logistics of using your computer and it has the necessary resources to run piano software, your best bang-for-buck in a low price range is probably a Casio PX-150 and one of the lower cost Piano software programs, and whatever attachments you need to get it all to work.

Re: Keyboard without speakers [Re: anotherscott] #2194528
12/08/13 03:30 PM
12/08/13 03:30 PM
St Croix, USVI
D
don1949 Offline OP
don1949  Offline OP
D

St Croix, USVI
Thanks, Scott, for continuing to educate me. At the very least, when I purchase a lot of wondering will be gone and I will feel much better about my choice because it will be a more educated choice.

I am currently thinking of Casios 150. 350, and 850. The demos I listen to sound much better than the 2-3 year older model entry level privia I had before it got fried in power disruptions.

I'm not likely to go the computer route. Too much trouble for me. Not financial as I could plan for it, but I like and need for my life to remain veeeeeeeeeeery simple.

So, two things I'd like to get feedback on in my deliberations. First, what is a good choice for speaker? Second, what would be a good choice for a good keyboard. In other words, combo that would deliver great action, low noise level, grand piano sound. Getting that rich, resonant, bass would be nice.

I also am prepared to accept less. My casio choices feel like something I can be happy with. I don't have to have perfection if I can't afford it. I can get add-ons that will make my experience better--sturdy stand, 3 pedal option, if there is speaker system I can buy off the rack would be nice if helpful, cover for my keyboard. The one thing I do not like about casio is the small music rack. I hate it when music collapses backward, and then I have to figure out with notebooks and clothespins how to have 3-4 pages up at one time.

My eye to hand coordination isn't great. I have fixed distance piano glasses and need to see much of the piece in order to learn it. Slowing or stopping to turn pages for me learns really bad playing habits. So, that was one of the things that looked pretty good about the ES-100, I think it was--large playing rack.

Thanks everyone for all your help. This process is feeling very satisfying to me.

Don

Re: Keyboard without speakers [Re: don1949] #2194544
12/08/13 04:04 PM
12/08/13 04:04 PM
Venezuela
Daniel Richter Offline
Daniel Richter  Offline

Venezuela
I don't think music rack size (part where we place the sheet music) is relevant when choosing a Digital Piano. Is easy to modify on any DP, placing a big board in there.

But if this info is relevant to you, here is the measurement of the music rack of the Kawai ES100:

20cm height (the usable part where the book goes)
59cm wide

Don't know measurements of the Casio's music rack.

Go cheap and good enough: Casio PX-150
Go extra for less noisy key action: Kawai ES100

On your budged, any of those two should be fine for your needs.

Owner of Kawai ES100
Re: Keyboard without speakers [Re: don1949] #2194568
12/08/13 04:41 PM
12/08/13 04:41 PM
A
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
A

The one thing I do not like about casio is the small music rack.

You could get a traditional floor-standing music stand (like orchestral musicians use) and place it behind the piano.

Re: Keyboard without speakers [Re: don1949] #2194572
12/08/13 04:46 PM
12/08/13 04:46 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
There have been some recent favorable posts on the Yamaha CP-33 "stage piano". No loudspeakers, but with the Yamaha "GH" action (same as the P155, and IMHO quite nice). The piano sampling is 3-layers (that is, three samples at different loudness levels, which are blended together), while the most-recent Yamahas use 4 layers. Probably not a big deal.

It's been available for 5 years or more, and they might appear "used" in your price range.

The latest Casio Privias are much improved over what you have. The PX-350 shares a keyboard mechanism with the PX-150, has a much larger tone library, MIDI In/Out ports, Line In/Out jacks, and auto-accompaniment features. And it's got better loudspeakers than the PX-150, but they're still not adequate to bring out the underlying tone quality. The basic piano tones are identical with the PX-150.

You should really try out whatever is locally available. It sometimes happens that someone walks into a store, and falls in love with a digipiano that he can afford. In that case, the decision is easy.

If you have a pair of headphones, bring them. You won't be embarrassed by your own playing (or mistakes), and they'll let you distinguish between the sound of the electronics, and the sound of the loudspeakers. And the salesmen can ignore you easily.

. Charles

. Charles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How much is this piano worth
by humble_pianist. 03/25/19 05:49 PM
Help Identify Music
by Shinobi. 03/25/19 04:54 PM
Help Identify Music
by Shinobi. 03/25/19 04:50 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,127
Posts2,810,823
Members92,875
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission