2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 25 26
K
K
Dears,
It took me some time to look at other available alternatives,
1st, casio px350 not available, only via special order (8 weeks ) and will cost around US$1200 (exclusive Dist.)
yamaha P35 available and priced at $725, same as korg 170s, (also exclusive Dist.)

I look at used DPs (not many available) I found today Casio PX320 at $500,
Those are my available option (living in U.A.E, Abu Dhabi),
I might negotiate the Casio PX320 , as all what am concern about is Piano Action Keys and MIDI connection (to another Keyboard),

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Just for a good laugh.

PX-150

Yes, it's incredible. People around here are that stupid.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
D
D
Thank you so much Daniel Richter for this excellent post! I've written some individual product reviews here for digitalpianocompare that people might also find useful!

http://www.digitalpianocompare.co.uk/category/price/digital-pianos-under-1000/

Please note "under 1000" on digitalpianocompare is in pounds-sterling (so depending on the exchange rate, probably slightly more than under 1000 dollars).

By way of recommendation, I'd suggest going for the Yamaha P-155: mainly because you get the Yamaha sound engine. The Kawai ES100 is good but when it comes down to tone quality the Yamaha pips it to the post.

OP Offline
Great reviews of yours too. I will take a good look in the following days and see what can I add or change to my post using your reviews.

My post is more a information page than a review, so your reviews are very welcome.

Although as far I hear from others opinions, P-155 sound is not that great. I have to look more in to it, but in the DPBSD project P-155 don't have that great results in piano sound, mostly for not very good looping and obvious 28 stretched groups. I will try to search more about in the following days, including reading your review. I didn't try the P-155 so everything I mention on that model is from listening what others say about it.

Thanks for the reply. Hope you can help me on this project more in the future.

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

My project: Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$

Owner of Kawai ES100
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by digipianocompare
Thank you so much Daniel Richter for this excellent post! I've written some individual product reviews here for digitalpianocompare that people might also find useful!

http://www.digitalpianocompare.co.uk/category/price/digital-pianos-under-1000/

May I ask why you feel the need to hide affiliate ID links embedded within your reviews using an URL shortener? I would like to give you the benefit of the doubt, however directing PianoWorld forum members to your website smells a little fishy. Bumping older threads to recommend one brand exclusively over any other doesn't help your cause a great deal either.

Originally Posted by digipianocompare
By way of recommendation, I'd suggest going for the Yamaha P-155: mainly because you get the Yamaha sound engine. The Kawai ES100 is good but when it comes down to tone quality the Yamaha pips it to the post.

May I ask you to explain why you believe the 'Yamaha sound engine' of the P155 to be superior to that of the ES100? Moreover, I'm somewhat curious as to how you can make such an assessment, given that the ES100 has yet to be released in the UK. Have you played this particular Kawai model? Indeed, have you played the Yamaha?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Daniel Richter
Great reviews of yours too. I will take a good look in the following days and see what can I add or change to my post using your reviews.

Hopefully you will only stick to the facts?

The source of these reviews is unclear, and anyway as we know from the opinions expressed on the forum, one man's meat is another's poison.

OP Offline
Of course I stick to the facts. DPBSD is my main source since have real data, as objectively as possible.

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

Owner of Kawai ES100
T
T
Hello I am a 1yr player upgrading from yamaha 235 over 10 years old to a DP. I borrowed a yamaha p 155 and that was great just heavy and could sometimes hear the sound of the keys. I am looking at kawai es100 and casio px350 can't decide. Was told that casio had more features to keep me interested in practicing with the midi feature and ability to upload songs and adjust. It seems like the reviews of the sound for kawai is better. I wont be able to try before I buy. Can anyone give advice? Thanks!

-SY
DeColores!
mid-level beginner pianist (again) serious as of Dec 2013!
OP Offline
Originally Posted by therightmoment
Hello I am a 1yr player upgrading from yamaha 235 over 10 years old to a DP. I borrowed a yamaha p 155 and that was great just heavy and could sometimes hear the sound of the keys. I am looking at kawai es100 and casio px350 can't decide. Was told that casio had more features to keep me interested in practicing with the midi feature and ability to upload songs and adjust. It seems like the reviews of the sound for kawai is better. I wont be able to try before I buy. Can anyone give advice? Thanks!

I think what you hear is right. Casio PX-350 have a lot of more features and voices and all that kind of stuffs. If you like those things that are not really about "piano simulation", then go for the PX-350.

With Kawai ES100 is more like a better key action, with a lot less noise when pressing and releasing the keys. Also better build-in speakers. Piano sound, I think Casio and Kawai are great so I would not say one is better than the other. Maybe except that Kawai have 88 sample keys, compare to casio that have 34 stretch groups. But overall I think both sound great.

So, if you want those extra features, go for Casio. Want more silent key action, go Kawai. I did go for kawai because I don't care about those extra features. I only care about piano. But for you, sounds you may take more advantage of the extra features on the Casio PX-350.

So ask yourself: Those features are really important to you?

One thing I most add is that Kawai ES100 include F-10H pedal that supports half pedal, very good quality pedal. If you buy Casio, you need to buy a decent pedal because the one is included is...hmm...garbage.

Is hard decision, most of the time, to choice a digital piano. Hope this project make things easier.

Good luck.

Owner of Kawai ES100
T
T
Thank you for your reply! Do you also have any thoughts about the midi feature on the casio? Or with the kawai.... how would you use it to help beginners play better? Any features or programs that would work with the kawai. I know it doesn't have usb.... although I've never used that in a DP.

-SY
DeColores!
OP Offline
Depends on what you mean about "midi feature". Kawai and Casio, both have MIDI ports. Casio can be connected to a computer by USB too. The kawai need to buy a cheap MIDI-USB adapter (I have one) to connect to the computer.

I am not sure what extra learning features the Casio PX-350 have, but I am quite sure nothing is better than learning with Synthesia. Synthesia is a program/software that is compatible to windows and mac, that allows you to watch notes you need to play. Free version works just fine, but you can pay for full version that have more features. Anyway, the idea is connect the keyboard to the computer and use Synthesia. You better check that out yourself: http://www.synthesiagame.com/

Of course, that works with any digital piano with MIDI or USB-to-host ports.

If learning features is what you want, I can't think a better option than that.

Last edited by Daniel Richter; 12/07/13 10:03 PM.

Owner of Kawai ES100
T
T
Thankyou I will check that out and thankyou for the clarification!

-SY
DeColores!
A
A
The Roland F-20, haven't have a chance to test all functions. So far my impression:
- key action - "sluggish" probably correct, however the noise not bother me. I can set the key sensitivity to high so less chance of missing a note, however the default is quite heavy. I like the ivory feel, it's like a "real" piano.
- sound - low and high notes is great I can hear the sympathetic resonance, escapement feature...etc., middle-low is average or "digital".
- it's made in Indonesia.
- pedal is continuous (can't tell how many steps)

I think this is a DP good for beginner - like me. I'll have a more details after I play a bit more.

OP Offline
Thank you very much Alekhan. I was hoping someone give me details about that model, since I can't access to one. So your feedback is very useful.

I will edit the main post with what you say, but have a few questions:

• Really have ivory keytops? But similar to casio or how is? I ask because on photos don't look like having ivory texture. Maybe is less obvious?
  • Can you measure the key dip on the front and rear of any white key? Millimeters (mm) is more accurate. This is to know the fulcrum distance.
  • What pedal you have?
  • Please consider record a file for the DPBSD project, if is not too much trouble for you. If you need help with that, I can for sure help you. Is actually not that complicated. Here is the link: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1365103.html

Thank you very much

Owner of Kawai ES100
A
A
- Yes, I can see and feel the ivory grain.
- I don't know how accurate but I measured about 8.75mm front 2.75mm back slightly pressed.
- pedal roland DP-10. Half pedaling works.

Sure, I'll look into DPDSD later.

OP Offline
Slightly pressed? You need to press the key all the way down.

You could also test steps on half pedal, if you have connected your DP to the computer. After that is super easy. Download free version of pianoteq and see "Audio/MIDI Setup" section. MIDI messages will show. After that is just note how much values give when pressing slowly the pedal. If is too much values, maybe you could give first few values (Example:0,10,20,30,40,50) and I figure out how much steps will be after that, following pattern.

Didn't know that model have ivory feel on keytops. From what you say sounds great.

Thanks again. Hope you keep helping providing info about that model. Not for me, but for anyone that may want that info.

Owner of Kawai ES100
C
C
This is why one would buy a Yamaha CP33. Yes, it's under $1,000 and even under $900US if you shop it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8JwLG2jyKo&feature=c4-overview&list=LLn2ElYnNNAVPwsnBaZZl8gQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Oda_YqtKs

Kawai MP7
Yamaha CP4 (sold and happy it's gone)
Yamaha CP33 (sold and wish I never did)
Young Chang Y118 (sold)
--------------------
Gibson Acoustic J35
Guild Starfire IV
A
A
I downloaded pianoeq4 per your instruction: I got 0,1,2,3...-..125,126,127 down, 127,126,125,..-...,3,2,1,0 up, so I guess it has 128 steps.

I said "slightly" press meant I did pressed all the way down, but just enough force.

Last edited by Alekhan; 12/08/13 11:42 AM.
OP Offline
Ah ok. Great info. Will post that on main page.

Thanks

Owner of Kawai ES100
For the Yamaha P35, I have a tear down of the action and of the keys with the fulcrum. The half pedal is only 2 layers.

http://tecflip.tumblr.com/post/69277158118/yamaha-p35b-teardown

Hope that helps.

BTW, The fulcrum on the Casio CDP-120 Is in the almos the exact place as the Yamaha P35.

-Nathon Lee
YouTube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/JleewSongs
Yamaha P-35b
Page 5 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission