2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I mean, if you don't want to rescore it, you could always just use accents. It wouldn't be quite as "clean", but anyone worth their salt would be able to figure it out.

But you'd have to add accents on both beats, otherwise people might interpret that you want the 2nd beat accented more than the first, which would lead to a dah-da DAH-da approach, and I definitely don't think that's what you want! grin

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Haha, definitely won't be doing that! laugh I will just re-score.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Derulux
Originally Posted by JoelW
Originally Posted by Nikolas
hey Joel,

I've had this on my mind today and I keep wondering about something, though I could be dead wrong with this.

Your time signature is 6/8, so 3+3/8... HOWEVER in your score you keep dividing your 16ths, in 3+3+3+3/16ths, which is not right according to your time signature.

I don't understand why this doesn't work. Are you saying the feel of the pulse doesn't match the time signature?

This was my feeling -- mathematically, the score works as-is, but to me, the pulse immediately felt like 3/8. The dotted-quarter measures could be 6/8, but the first two bars of the main theme really feels like it wants to be played in 3/8, not 6/8.

The pulse is DAH-da | DAH-da | DAH-da | DAH-da

But in 6/8, I would read it DAH-da dah-da | DAH-da dah-da

If you're okay with a softer attack on beat 4, 6/8 is fine. You'll have a longer line. But if you want that attack, 3/8 is probably the better choice.

While the midi is definitely interpreting it as 3/8 (based on how it's attacking the notes), I did run through it on my own with the longer 6/8 line, and it sounds nice, too. So really, it's completely up to you. smile
Thanks. This is what I meant... smile

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Do markings ('rit.' for example) go under or over slurs? Specifically bar 4.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
above

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I see. Yeah, it definitely needs to be in 3/8.

By the way -- sort of off topic, but is there anyway I can make this a one-page piece? I tried everything I know how do on Muse Score, but the smallest I could get it was BARELY two pages. So close. I tried making the accolade distance smaller and I made the spacing as small as I could get it.

Layout - Page Settings - Scaling

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

By the way -- sort of off topic, but is there anyway I can make this a one-page piece? I tried everything I know how do on Muse Score, but the smallest I could get it was BARELY two pages. So close. I tried making the accolade distance smaller and I made the spacing as small as I could get it.

Don't know about MuseScore, but in Sibelius you can adjust the staff size in a dropdown on a tab called "Layout." Perhaps MuseScore has a similar feature.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

Don't know about MuseScore, but in Sibelius you can adjust the staff size in a dropdown on a tab called "Layout." Perhaps MuseScore has a similar feature.

It does, but they call it scaling. (It's what I posted about earlier...)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

It does, but they call it scaling. (It's what I posted about earlier...)

Yes, scaling. Thanks, Kreisler. One page is a bit too cramped however. I'll keep it at two.

S
S
Joel I started this yesterday. I am wondering, how do you play this? I have alternated playing the middle line with both the left and right hand. While it seems intended for the right hand using the left works for the majority of the piece as well.

Anyways this is not an issue I am just curious.

S
S
actually it makes more sense as l.h. except for two measures...

either way i think that's how i will play it

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stalefleas
Joel I started this yesterday. I am wondering, how do you play this? I have alternated playing the middle line with both the left and right hand. While it seems intended for the right hand using the left works for the majority of the piece as well.

Anyways this is not an issue I am just curious.

I play everything as notated except for the first three bars. For those measures, I take the FIRST note of the inner voice with my left hand. Once you reach bar four, that becomes much more difficult and playing as notated becomes more easy. Try what I do for the first three bars.

S
S
after playing with this more in am getting a feel for how to mix the hands

where the middle line is an 8th note followed by 16th non-repeated notes i've been using lh

where the middle line is 3 16ths or repeated notes i've been using rh

where hemiola starts until the end i have been using rh

i may mix it up a little more but actually it is much easier to get these rhythms proper using left hand--playing 8ths as 8ths whereas the tendency with the right hand is to play the 8ths as 16ths because it is easier and more intuitive than overlapping the notes

it is interesting though because from a pedagogical perspective one could see that as a lh or rh exercise or really, both

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
So which fingerings are you using?

S
S
I'm playing with different methods... once I settle on something I will tell you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission