2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2192010 12/03/13 05:32 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Am working on this piece now and wondering what level it is. I see all these 8 and 10 year old genius kids playing this piece on Youtube and frankly, I have no idea how they can move their little fingers so fast on some of those runs!

I am also having the most difficult time trying to bring out the melody in the section where the melody alternates between right and left hands. Are there tricks someone can recommend for playing it well? I am failing miserably when I attempt to bring out the melody by trying to emphasize those notes - sounds just like jumbled notes at this point.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Without knowing anything about your skill level it is difficult to suggest anything.

It sounds like a typical beginning student trying to play something that is miles beyond their skill level.

I may be wrong but with nothing else to go by, that is my belief.

Any more information for us ?

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
B
B
The OP registered just over 4 years ago, so I'm guessing they aren't a complete beginner. I could of course be wrong!

As for the melody alternating, what my teacher has me do is play it slow and staccato, focusing on the volume of the notes, and gradually speeding up until it feels natural to play it legato if that makes any sense.

I'm a complete beginner myself, so this may not have been any help, but good luck!

B
B
looks like above grade 8?

http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=18339.0

Didn't you just finish Alfred 1? [edit to add: never mind this comment, the other thread is from 2009]

Last edited by bolt; 12/04/13 10:07 PM.

"There is more to this piano playing malarkey than meets the eye" - adultpianist
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
My slow fingers are starting to catch up but it's been slow. Remember that many of those 10 year old wonders have been practicing two hours a day or more for 6 years. Hmm, not such a wonder now is it? wink

I suggest that if the piece works a little slower, do that. If it doesn't, you might want to put it aside.

As for the middle notes taking the melody, yes this is tricky. The Tchaikovsky piece I'm working on has this. Slow practice of course. Also, write the fingering you will use for the melody and then practice just that on it's own. That will really help you get the melody and the fingering for it into your head before you add back all the other notes around it.

Last edited by Andy Platt; 12/04/13 09:26 AM. Reason: Spelling and clean up

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I don't know this piece, and can't find the score on IMSLP. If you can post a pic of the section, I'd be happy to take a look. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Derulux, I think this video also shows the score.
looks quite hard, fast chromatic runs and chords etc. And it's almost 9 minutes if you keep a good pace

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
It's a beautiful piece, but very difficult. Probably level 8+ or something...

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by wouter79
Derulux, I think this video also shows the score.
looks quite hard, fast chromatic runs and chords etc. And it's almost 9 minutes if you keep a good pace

Great piece, but not the one OP is asking about.

This was originally a song which has been transcribed for piano by quite a few people. the one you mostly hear is the one by Balakirev. You can find the sheet music here:
http://henseltlibrary.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/balakirev_glinka_lark.pdf

Last edited by outo; 12/04/13 01:44 PM.
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Thank you both for your help. I had found another piece listed as "Glinka - Lark", and it wasn't either of these, so I'm glad we got that cleared up! wouter, that is a beautiful piece.. I'm going to have to get a printable score and run through that a couple times when I get home. It looks like fun. smile

Now that we're hopefully looking at the right score grin, does anyone know what measures the OP is talking about? The flip at 34, or the alternating hands at 50? Neither place looks like what I would consider a melody alternating between the hands (think of the trio in Horowitz's Stars and Stripes for an example a little closer to what I was originally thinking), but we all have different definitions.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
A
OP Offline
A
Sorry, I've been away. How do I upload a picture of one section I am referring to? I have it in jpeg that I can upload here.

B
B
Originally Posted by Argerich5405
Sorry, I've been away. How do I upload a picture of one section I am referring to? I have it in jpeg that I can upload here.

You could refer to it in the link outo posted - the bars are numbered:

Originally Posted by outo

By the way, I really love this piece of music. It's on one of my favourite piano CDs: If I Were A Bird performed by Michael Lewin (track 11).

"There is more to this piano playing malarkey than meets the eye" - adultpianist
A
OP Offline
A
Thank you! Bar 34 and onward is where I'm currently stuck. I just love this piece! So beautiful.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
All right, so you're having trouble bringing out the melody when it's in the left hand? Piece of cake. smile

Without knowing why you have these issues, it's a little difficult to try and diagnose, but I can offer a couple quick tricks/tips:

1. Go really, painfully slow, and play the LH louder until it's comfortable. (This is the "obvious" approach.)

2. Tap on a desk. Hit harder with the LH than the right. As you get comfortable, change the pattern. Try a five-note "scale" on the desk. Try different rhythms, finger combinations, etc. Eventually, when it's all relatively comfortable, try the rhythm in the piece. When the rhythm is comfortable, try it with the fingering you're using. Then, put the pattern to the fingering. THEN go to the keyboard.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission